This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:28:30 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: So when does Utena figure out she's about to get laid?

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Oh, so that's where you were. Dont you know I depend on your analysis! And what're you doing running around wearing a hat! A HAT mind you! But its cool. I etc-love Clarice

but I want to really want to know, as no one has addressed the answer:
Is Utena a fitness nut? I mean, I understand her nervous stretching habit, but, could this have been brought on by ....fitness crazy?

I etc-love my hat. emot-dance

When it comes to the stretching, I tend to go with the "nervous twitch" theory that others have already put forward here, really. She does do it a lot around Akio, and it could be because he makes her nervous and it's a way of asserting herself, as such, i.e. falling back on something that she has control over (her body). Which is what makes her eventual "surrender" of her body to him particularly interesting, both in having sex with him, and in the fact that she is so distracted by her feelings for him that she injures herself while playing basketball because of him some episodes beforehand. Perhaps her stretching is a last-ditch attempt to assert her control over herself, and her self-image as the prince? I mean, it's not necessarily inclusive of all female athletes, but a lot of them can be seen as either tomboyish or more masculinised than their less-sporting counterparts, whether it be because of their competitive nature (more associated with testosterone) or the fact that prolonged and strenuous sporting activity can almost de-feminise the body through increased muscle mass/decreased fat percentage and cessation of periods (this isn't always true, mind you, it's just a generalisation that seems to apply in this situation). Utena is a tomboy, a "prince," and one way she demonstrates this is by competing against boys in sports. She seems to be reminding herself of this while around Akio, possibly subconsciously at first, but by the hotel room scene she must have some clue that Akio's not there just for the blasted roses. emot-tongue Or at least, that's my two cents...or centimes. emot-dance

Last edited by Clarice (03-29-2007 04:29:23 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#27 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:29:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

Paris Financial District

ENJOYING YOUR HOT FRENCHMEN IN SUITS ARE YOU emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad

Clarice wrote:

b) realising that pleasure can be derived from that area can be unexpected for girls, if they haven't done any exploring themselves beforehand

You know, now that you mention it, this wouldn't surprise me at all coming from Utena. For some reason I just don't get that self-exploratory vibe (HAHAHAH) from her. I can't explain why, it's not necessarily her 'innocence', just...it doesn't strike me as something she'd have done much with yet. Unfortunately I can't really back it up with reasoned argument, is just a gut feeling. Similarly I do get the impression Wakaba's rather intimately familiar with her...intimate places. Again, I can't explain where I get this stuff from. On the other hand I can argue all week about how I suspect Saionji jerks off on a schedule. emot-rolleyes

Clarice wrote:

I don't know if it could work this way, as we always see Utena from the same perspective (and I tend to assume it was Akio's, although seeing Utena from above in that scene could be symbolic of her bending to the will of another, or as being "fallen"), and if Akio moved I'd expect our perspective to move with him, but...this scene has always confused the beegeezus out of me, I have to admit.

I would say that pretty much all the shots involving Utena are from Akio's POV with exception, obviously, to the shots of him in the car afterwards. Her blabbering, her playing Othello, etc, etc, all appear to be Akio's POV. Utena repeatedly looks right at the 'camera', as it were.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1351.jpg
Tucked in for bed, how cute. emot-keke

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1448.jpg
Oop. Now the 'camera' is above...why? Well Akio's on top. Of course.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1836.jpg
This is that sudden jolt before the twitching.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/PDVD_1933.jpg
This is the only of the shots from the hotel room that I would say isn't Akio's POV, because she's still looking up at him, and while he's quite flexible, I don't see why his head would be way over there.

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Is Utena a fitness nut? I mean, I understand her nervous stretching habit, but, could this have been brought on by ....fitness crazy?

I would say she's just very focused on athletics. The stretching is nothing new at all, she stretches while yapping with Juri, she does handstands while talking to Anthy, etc, etc. It just seems to be a 'character quirk' sort of thing. Actually, in the scene where Akio and Utena are in the planetarium and she's doing the crabwalk thing, I always assumed Akio was referring directly to that behavior (among others) when he notes that she's 'not particularly self-conscious'...which I suppose in itself suggests she was genuinely being a complete dope here and not actually intending to show off her kama sutra compatibility. emot-dance

Edit for nervous twitch: Given that off the top of my head she does this around Akio, Juri, and Anthy (at moments), I would say there's a lot of fuel for her doing it when she's around intimidating figures. Does she ever do it in front of, say, Wakaba, for contrast?

Last edited by Giovanna (03-29-2007 04:32:48 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#28 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:37:11 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

ahhhh, I see. All this time I thought she was just a loony with it, but I guess, hmm this is weird...because when I talk to people I tend to stretch, and I don't know...I just always have to be doing something physical. I've always found that scene to be funny when she's just yapping off with Juri and she's just...stretching.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#29 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:41:29 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Clarice wrote:

Paris Financial District

ENJOYING YOUR HOT FRENCHMEN IN SUITS ARE YOU emot-mad emot-mad emot-mad

Yes. [runs]

Giovanna wrote:

You know, now that you mention it, this wouldn't surprise me at all coming from Utena. For some reason I just don't get that self-exploratory vibe (HAHAHAH) from her. I can't explain why, it's not necessarily her 'innocence', just...it doesn't strike me as something she'd have done much with yet. Unfortunately I can't really back it up with reasoned argument, is just a gut feeling. Similarly I do get the impression Wakaba's rather intimately familiar with her...intimate places. Again, I can't explain where I get this stuff from. On the other hand I can argue all week about how I suspect Saionji jerks off on a schedule. emot-rolleyes

Heh, yeah, I just think that if Utena genuinely had no clue that this was going to happen it was only because she didn't really understand what it was (because although Anthy was teasing her some episodes beforehand about her having "all sorts of experience" to wind up Tsuwabuki, I think it was more to illustrate that Utena doesn't have a bloody clue when Anthy or Akio drop sexual innuendos around her...or indeed, get into bed with her ha ha ha). Although she probably has some idea about sex -- most fourteen year olds in her situation likely do -- she probably doesn't know what it involves. From a personal viewpoint, despite having read dodgy romance novels from the age of ten, I didn't have a clue what actually happened until I read true erotica, and didn't have a clue what it felt like until I was about eighteen or nineteen. So yes, I think Utena's just a bit overwhelmed by it all. The poor dear.

Giovanna wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … D_1351.jpg
Tucked in for bed, how cute. emot-keke

Heh, you see, that's the shot that reminds me of Anthy and Utena's habit of talking before sleep. Too bad that unlike his sister, Akio's about neither. school-devil

Giovanna wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … D_1933.jpg
This is the only of the shots from the hotel room that I would say isn't Akio's POV, because she's still looking up at him, and while he's quite flexible, I don't see why his head would be way over there.

I can't really tell from the picture, but is Utena's jawline indicating that she's back to actually LOOKING at Akio again?

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#30 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:48:01 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

what would we do without you Clarice?

the last picture, when their hands are together is there any significance to showing the hands? I mean, if Akio is wrapped up in his own pyschosexual dynamic, then what purpose would there be to show this, it's a romantic gesture?

#31 | Back to Top03-29-2007 04:58:07 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

the last picture, when their hands are together is there any significance to showing the hands? I mean, if Akio is wrapped up in his own pyschosexual dynamic, then what purpose would there be to show this, it's a romantic gesture?

From the viewpoint of a first-time viewer, it's the WTF?! moment that leads you to realise "HOLY SHIT THEY'RE SCREWING!!!" [coughs] Or at least, that was how I saw it. Right up until then I thought Utena was just losing it, because while I understood her earlier monologues to be an illustration of her caving into Akio in terms of her principles/morals/mission, I seriously didn't realise what he was doing until I saw their hands. Because until then we just assume it's Akio's POV that we are seeing her from. When we see his hand, it's proof. That's probably the real reason it's there -- it's for the audience's benefit, not hers.

For Utena, though, it's probably comforting. It's also possible he's kissing her at that point (because the only thing that disturbs me about the thought Akio's having sex with her while she blabbers about lunch is that he's not kissing her, which...I don't know why that bothers me, but I can't help but think that would have distracted her some). I think he does have to foster intimacy and a sense of a shared experience here because he doesn't want Utena to go away thinking she's a bad person for seducing him or that he's a bad person for seducing her. If she thinks it's something inevitable that happened because they both felt something overwhelming he continues to have a sway over her that another (i.e. Touga) can not gain. Akio is such a smooth operator. [puts on the Sade and bops along]

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#32 | Back to Top03-29-2007 07:07:06 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

If Utena couldn't surmise that she was gonna get laid when Akio aimed his 'black lance' at her, she would never figure it out. emot-tongue

#33 | Back to Top03-29-2007 08:41:10 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I remember reading a fanficiton which pointed out that Utena only stretched when she was nervous around someone...nearly hinting, at in this particular fic, that it was something physical, but not sexual, that she could do, during her current state of...whatever you call it, innocence, oblivion, but subconsciously knowing there is someone on the other end wanting to bite that hook!

It would be interesting to do a rewatch and determine exactly WHEN she stretches and with WHOM. Like, yeah, the Juri, the Anthy, the Akio...but Wakaba? Miki? ...who else isn't exhibiting subvocal lust? emot-confused

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#34 | Back to Top03-29-2007 08:56:01 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I always took her constant stretching as a metaphor for preperation. You know, you stretch to prepare yourself for a race, or tantric sex...or perhaps a revolution. That was my only slightly logical idea anyway.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#35 | Back to Top03-29-2007 09:06:26 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

She was being penetrated all right, but more likely by Kanae and not necessarily by Akio. This is all getting so raunchy. emot-frown

#36 | Back to Top03-29-2007 09:07:27 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Clarice and Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Hand holding.

The way their hands are shown there, with Akio's above Utena's (so that you only see her fingers) always made me view it as him being dominant over her. Not in bed (though that nearly goes without saying,) but as a result of the act he now has a hold on her, which gives him the upper hand. Puns intended because they're metaphors. emot-wink

He's also, in a way, pinning her down, and their linked fingers shows how entangled they've become; or rather (with Akio's hand being dominant,) how entagled Utena has become in Akio's web.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#37 | Back to Top03-29-2007 10:30:00 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Edit for nervous twitch: Given that off the top of my head she does this around Akio, Juri, and Anthy (at moments), I would say there's a lot of fuel for her doing it when she's around intimidating figures. Does she ever do it in front of, say, Wakaba, for contrast?

Someone, make a list! emot-gonk

I can't say for sure, but I don't recall Utena stretching around Wakaba. But I may be wrong. Hmm. Didn't she stretch in Nemuro Hall when she was looking at the pictures, before Mikage showed up?

#38 | Back to Top03-29-2007 11:11:26 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Someone, make a list! emot-gonk

I can't say for sure, but I don't recall Utena stretching around Wakaba. But I may be wrong. Hmm. Didn't she stretch in Nemuro Hall when she was looking at the pictures, before Mikage showed up?

Yeah, she did, and I think she DID stretch in front of Wakaba, that episode when she's "blooming". Maybe Utena's stretching in front of people who are "special". Juri, Anthy, and Akio are certainly special in her opinion, and in that episode, Wakaba was also special because of Saionji.

#39 | Back to Top03-30-2007 09:39:01 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

brian wrote:

I doubt that things are happening in chronological order in that episode.

You're right about that. The first thing we see in this episode (after the usual intro stuff) is Anthy in a planetarium calling Akio and asking about the roses. After that we get the flashback of Utena and Akio in the hotel room. The scenes that take place in the hotel are all in chronological order. However, there are also scenes with Akio driving his car and listening the radio. All those scenes happened before he went on a date with Utena 'cause in the last one we see him saying that he has some business to take care of. We know what kind of business that is. And then in the very end we see Anthy again calling Akio. This is the same scene as seen in the beginning. I think all those things were deliberately mixed up like that to give the viewer an impression of something that's confusing or different; this is very much like Utena must have felt during that episode.

Oh yeah, and to make things even more confusing there are also recaps of previous episodes. YAY!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#40 | Back to Top03-30-2007 11:23:48 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I think I understand the interlace of the hands being together, as a way to show Akio's POV as well as a simulated romance for the audience *and* Utena's benefit. Because in the series we get a lot of "oh crap they're going to have sex" but this is one of those scenes where you almost feel for Utena, but it's also one of the scenes, where I think with this whole hand thing, that it shows just how naive Utena is (moreso than usual).

#41 | Back to Top03-30-2007 01:05:49 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

That episode where she stretches in front of Wakaba, she seems to be doing it out of some nervousness/discomfort about bringing up the fact that Wakaba seems different.  I think it's a habit of hers, due to her being athletic, but one that she does more/more inappropriately when she is nervous or uncomfortable in some way.

I don't know if Akio is kissing her in that shot where their hands are joined; she turned her head to the side and I thought her head might still be turned to the side.  If so, it's not that odd a posture during missionary position intercourse, if her head is turned away and her neck is bent away a little (avoiding looking at his face), he will be looking at the side of her neck and her shoulder.  The angle and distance seem a little strange, but not entirely...  Although upon a second look, it does look like she's turned her head back, if that line is her jaw.

It might be noteworthy that we don't really see any evidence of him kissing her at all throughout that night.  It's a little unusual to have sex without kissing *at all*, though it really depends on the circumstances...I think these circumstances would be kissing circumstances.  Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course, but I wonder why it's never shown?

Again, I much doubt Utena is babbling *during* any kind of sexual act.  I think it's likely something has just happened, such as some fairly intensive foreplay, as I believe she's already undressed while she's talking.  But, as I said, I think it's when she starts shutting up and showing signs of arousal that Akio is actually doing anything.  Why the prolonged break? IMO, for the reason Gio postulated: Akio's own amusement in Utena's guilt and nervousness.

But I think a lot of what we see in this episode are choices made for the first-time audience, so as *not* to suggest too much.  We guess Utena is with Akio throughout the night and that we are mostly seeing her from his POV, but this isn't confirmed until we see his hand and then, with certainty, when they get into the car.  And the fact that they've played with the chronology, too, means a play-by-play of what happened once they were finally in bed (based on that one scene) is pretty difficult. emot-smile

I notice I've avoided answering the original question...when did Utena know?  Subconsciously, she probably knew early on.  Consciously, she was probably *very* surprised that it happened.  I don't see her as the aggressor with Akio.  I can see her the aggressor with someone closer to her own age, if she had made up her mind; but I see that circumstance as being difficult to come by given her naivety and defensiveness with boys.  (I think one of the reasons Akio was able to get under Utena's skin at all is that he is older, engaged, and acted as a counselor to her--putting her in a mindset in which she wouldn't expect overtures from him, and therefore wasn't looking for reasons to be hostile.)

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (03-30-2007 01:08:50 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#42 | Back to Top03-30-2007 01:33:03 PM

Black Mantha
Mikage Mistruster

morosemocha wrote:

In a way, Akio's foundations do boil down to the stereotypical villain, in that he puts what he wants before his goal of getting to the end of the game -the Rose Gate, I suppose. But he's got much better things bult upon that foundation, so I suppose we'll let Ikuhara screw us over for it.

I'm not so good at analysing myself, but these lines from Archimage always sounded true: "But why did he always destroy his chances? Because he didn't really want to open the Gate. Behind the Gate, as you found, was me. My life, my power, my Self, held in a coffin full of roses. I suppose, like a child, he wanted to look in on me to make sure I was still there, would still remain there even though the free sky was above me. But at the last moment, fear would take him and he would not trust me to stay."

morosemocha wrote:

Hmmm...I wonder tho, what would've happened if Utena had accepted his offer?

I've wondered that myself. I concluded that she'd quickly become a piece of furniture.

In either way.

Giovanna wrote:

On the other hand I can argue all week about how I suspect Saionji jerks off on a schedule.

Now that's an interesting kink. Plant-fiber bukkake.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
- Winston Churchill

#43 | Back to Top04-18-2009 08:25:26 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

It seems likely that Utena's stretching is just her personal neurosis, like Miki with his stopwatch. A lot of the characters have habits that signify their problems:

Utena - Stretching (constantly showing off her strength in order to avoid being judged by other people)
Miki - Stopwatch (emot-confused possibly being a perfectionist)
Anthy - Roses (caring for her budding princes)
         - Ice (acting like an ice queen:tongue:)
Akio - Stars (psychotic enchantment with the demented world he rules)

I'm sure there are others but I'm going to cope out and say I'm really tired^_^

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#44 | Back to Top04-19-2009 09:44:11 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Giovanna wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … D_1933.jpg

Is it possible that Akio himself looks away from her face at this point? I can think of a couple of reasons he might do that.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#45 | Back to Top04-19-2009 04:50:49 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

but I want to really want to know, as no one has addressed the answer:

Well, she's very athletic. She probably stretches a lot, anyway, so when other people would fiddle their hands or stare at the ceiling, she stretches, because that's what she feels most comfortable doing. Or that's my take, anyway.

Personally, I believe that Utena quite consciously knew the implications of the hotel room, and wanted something to happen, but was in serious denial about it, and ultimately wasn't least bit ready for any of it.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#46 | Back to Top04-20-2009 08:24:00 AM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

My view on it all is this:

Utena, ever since being rescued by Dios in her childhood, was obsessed with becoming just like him(keeping her nobility) so she could meet him again in the future. She was, until the point where she and Akio had sex, pure...ish. Naivity had always been one of Utena's defining qualities until just after the Black Rose duels. I think that was the point that she started to realize that the symbolic "grown up" world wasn't all that pretty.

Sex with Akio pushed her to the breaking point. I feel that he sensed that unless she were tainted, she would have most definately defeated him, causing him to lose the power that he sought(which I feel is nonexistant, due to the fact that even after Utena pried the Rose Gate open and freed Anthy from her once figurative, noe literal coffin, it was never atatined by anyone...).

I don't think that she knew what was going on until after it happened. I mean, who would freak out about what they were going to eat for the lunch the next day after having sex with someone that they've had strong feelings for for an extended period of time? I know I wouldn't. Asparagus. Asparagus.

I think that the stress involving her lunch for the enxt day was a result of her guilt, though. It kind of overflowed when Anthy tried to throw herself off of the roof of the Chairman's Tower. Personally, I thought it was a little rash...But it's Anthy, so you never really know what's going on inside of that little head of hers. It's all left up to speculation, just like almost everything else in the entire series...

So, however you want to interpret Utena's behavior will give you the answer. The only way to ever actually find out is to ask the writers.

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#47 | Back to Top04-20-2009 03:39:14 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I notice I've avoided answering the original question...when did Utena know?  Subconsciously, she probably knew early on.  Consciously, she was probably *very* surprised that it happened.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Few human beings are that stupid. Utena knew Akio had sex on the brain a lot like many red-blooded men, but she was so blinded by her crush that she expected him to be a gentleman.

Anyway, your first time isn't something you "figure out." It's something you consent to.  Utena probably didn't know what he wanted until he started petting her and then he probably told her he loved her.

She's fourteen. This man is too gorgeous not to believe. Nobody's ever warned her about sweet talkers. Face it, Utena was doomed from the beginning.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#48 | Back to Top04-20-2009 04:55:01 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Coming from a family of athletes, I have my own pretty solid theory on Utena's tendency to stretch. Sometimes she does it casually, but in the scene with Akio, it was definitely an extension of her nervousness. What are sports are all about? Control. Discipline. Utena even takes an athlete's approach to things - she likes knowing the game and using single-minded determination to surmount the obstacles. Everything is fairly straightforward and direct. She's confident and at least in her element of sports. Really, sports are perfect for someone like her.

Stretching implies discipline and dedication. When Utena is confronted by something that makes her tense or nervous, she defaults to her comfort zone. She stretches because it lets her feel that she's in control. And she's so used to doing sporty things casually that doing them randomly around people doesn't seem suggestive to her.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#49 | Back to Top04-20-2009 06:25:41 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

mmm, good call there Katz. In the scene with Juri in the...sixth episode? "Unfulfilled Juri". She stretches in a kind of sarcastic way. Sort of her way of saying "I'm not buying your shit, so I'll make fun of you now." But in this scene with Akio, she's trying to distract herself from a situation she isn't genuinely ready for. But still a way of putting herself more in control.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#50 | Back to Top04-20-2009 07:44:24 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

I'm an athlete and I know I do it when i'm nervous or bored.

I'm going to go with the "subconscious before conscious" theory. Her subconscious knowledge was giving her a feeling of nervousness, which acted upon her body.

Board footer