This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#151 | Back to Top03-04-2010 09:32:11 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Project Runway

1. Agreed.  Especially since the jugdes bashed him for transforming the material....and then bashed Jesse for not transforming the material.  Personally, I loved it, with the subtle little designs hidden in the mesh.  Maybe would have changed the top.
2.  Dear god just no.  And luv for Micheal Kors not making a 'had to leave the house in a hurry and grabbed everything" remark.
3.  Some of the metallic I liked...if the colors were nicer...Seth Aron got close with the brushed metal, but too much damn silver and bronze. But SA disappoints because really, this should have been his time to shine.   Also, metallicness does not need to be spread over a woman's stomach unless it is a corset fit.  The crumpling is emot-gonk
4.  Same.  I loved how it 'clicked' when the model moved but felt where the skirt met top was awkward and that, once again.  Fucking color blocking.

And I LOVED the top on Amy's.  The boring, stiffly moving skirt?  Not so much.  Maya's was cute...but really only the jacket and necklace was all that inventive or original, and it's not like either would have been all that difficult to make.  I felt Jay totally deserved the win - my only complaint is that the colors and shine and shape almost made the outfit look...gummy?... but I am in love with those pants.

Emilio's was HAHA but not, how do I say, painful to look at.  Just dumb.  Ben's was so plain and boring and stiff.  And Jonathan's was cute... just, like I mentioned, the colors were expresso and the mid-section unflattering.

ilu Anthony. etc-love What was it he said?  "Making a woman look like a lady never goes out of style."?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-04-2010 09:33:42 PM)

#152 | Back to Top03-05-2010 08:10:47 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

1. Agreed.  Especially since the jugdes bashed him for transforming the material....and then bashed Jesse for not transforming the material.  Personally, I loved it, with the subtle little designs hidden in the mesh.  Maybe would have changed the top.
2.  Dear god just no.  And luv for Micheal Kors not making a 'had to leave the house in a hurry and grabbed everything" remark.

I hate it when the judges talk out of both sides of their mouths like that. I mean, I know that they're ultimately seeking a happy medium between "I can't believe it's not hardware" and robot couture, but I ultimately would have put Ben or Jonathan in the bottom 3 instead of Anthony. They ought to thank their lucky stars that they're still not "questioning his taste level" like before. I know he's not going to win, but I'd at least like him to place high enough to have gone to Fashion Week last month, either as a finalist or as a decoy.

3.  Some of the metallic I liked...if the colors were nicer...Seth Aron got close with the brushed metal, but too much damn silver and bronze. But SA disappoints because really, this should have been his time to shine.   Also, metallicness does not need to be spread over a woman's stomach unless it is a corset fit.  The crumpling is emot-gonk
4.  Same.  I loved how it 'clicked' when the model moved but felt where the skirt met top was awkward and that, once again.  Fucking color blocking.

On second look, Seth Aaron's is probably the only metallic I can tolerate. Kind of Lady Gaga-esque, especially with the literal hair bow and the shoes. This is simply fueling my belief that he, and not Christian Siriano, has the potential to be the Second Coming of McQueen. I think if Sethy-poo were really punk and not just rockabilly with punk influence, he would have gone all out since he had immunity. Of course, they only had a day. (Have I mentioned how much I'm hating the one-day challenges?)

And I LOVED the top on Amy's.  The boring, stiffly moving skirt?  Not so much.  Maya's was cute...but really only the jacket and necklace was all that inventive or original, and it's not like either would have been all that difficult to make.  I felt Jay totally deserved the win - my only complaint is that the colors and shine and shape almost made the outfit look...gummy?... but I am in love with those pants.

I totally agree with you. I knew they were going to give it to him as soon as they found out the outfit was made of trash bags. I loved how they acknowledged that it took the entire fucking series to produce a wearable outfit from trash bags.

Emilio's was HAHA but not, how do I say, painful to look at.  Just dumb.

Emilio fucking killed me with that "swimsuit". emot-rofl He made the model look like a cross between Barbarella and a mermaid caught in a net. I love how the judges fell for his "everyone else was doing a dress" bullshit. If anyone else had done that, they would have been crucified.

Strangely, I didn't hate it. It was just an incredibly shitty execution, moreso for Emilio.

ilu Anthony. etc-love What was it he said?  "Making a woman look like a lady never goes out of style."?

I KNOW, RITE?!  etc-love etc-love

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#153 | Back to Top03-05-2010 09:33:20 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Who are your top picks for the final three so far?  It feels kind of difficult because I've seen good and bad from all the designers, and each has their strengths and weaknesses.  I feel like Ben and Jonathan aren't going to make the cut - I barely remember their outfits.

My top's would be Amy, Seth Aaron and very, very, very sure Jay.  Though granted, Amy and SA, especially Amy need to make sure that they pump out at least one more win or stay well within the top three for challenges.  Either of them bottoming again would very much 'even out' the group of designers as far as chances of winning goes.

Mila is a maybe.  The judges seem to eat her stuff up.  I don't hate her stuff...I just find most of it rather easy.  Maya would be a bit more likely.  She would be my closest pic to replace Amy or Seth Aaron if they fudge it.

I know Anthony won't win either, but I love seeing what he puts out and listening to his point of view, plain and simple. 

And fuck one-day challenges.  And not getting to see the critiques for each outfit.  I would really be interested in seeing the judges opinions on the 'pass' outfits, because they would have stuff about them that they loved, and that they thought could use some improvement, not just pure loving or bashing.

#154 | Back to Top03-06-2010 06:42:49 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm honestly not completely sure yet. No one's really busting out of the gate as they have in past seasons, excluding last season.

I see Mila making Final Three because she's the bitch of the season. I hate her constant need for color blocking and her overuse of black and white. If she does a whole collection of this foolishness, it'll be the "Wendy Pepper plaid" fiasco all over again.

If there is any justice in the world, Seth Aaron will be there. I shouldn't even have to explain why.

I see Amy, Jay, and Maya having to fight it out for the third spot. Amy's not the front runner I initially thought she was going to be, and Jay is picking up steam a bit. If Maya keeps placing in the top three, she's going to edge them both out.

Emilio has been downhill since week 3 or so. Unless Anthony pulls out something hideous, I see Emilio, Jonathan, and possibly even Ben leaving before him.

#155 | Back to Top03-07-2010 12:54:31 AM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

I'm personally not a fan of Seth Aaron's work up to this point, with the exception of the top he made on his adult model during the Childrens/Womenswear challenge; that was so impeccably made, but I feel like nothing else of his has been remotely close to that piece as far as construction and execution is concerned.  I'll be surprised if he is one of the top three.

I think that unfortunately Mila's consistency will give her a spot despite her rather apparent obsession with colour blocking.  Jay has also been very consistent and is one of the few remaining who hasn't appeared in the bottom 3 at all this season; his consistency reminds me of Daniel Vosovic.  As for the third finalist, I don't think it's Maya (SPOILER ALERT) since her collection didn't show at New York Fashion Week in February; what's odd is that Janeane and Jesse's collections showed along with the collections of all of the current remaining designers. (End of Spoiler)

I'm pulling for Amy to take the last spot in the top 3.  I've loved her work all season (with the exception of those horrid pants she made for the Childrens/Womenswear challenge).  After Emilio's little outfit a-la Wendy Pepper on Thursday, I've lost all hope for him (though I never really had any to begin with xD).  Ben/Jonathan have been blah all season, which leaves Seth Aaron, Maya, and Anthony.  Heidi's little "anyone can go home at anytime" line during the preview for next week has left me feeling pretty excited; I hope she FINALLY follows through.  The last times she's said "One or more of you may go home" have resulted in a single elimination.  Bring back the multiple eliminations Heidi! : (

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#156 | Back to Top03-08-2010 07:48:48 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

After Emilio's little outfit a-la Wendy Pepper on Thursday, I've lost all hope for him (though I never really had any to begin with xD).

holy shit, I knew that reminded me of something. THE CANDY BIKINI FROM THE VERY FIRST CHALLENGE!

#157 | Back to Top03-11-2010 09:22:32 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Alright, starting with the bottom three.

Amy -  Oh.  Oh Amy.  Just.  I have no words.  This was terrible.  There is no other word.  A bowl.  A bowl of hair.
Ben  -  Sketch looked awesome -but if you can't execute a pantsuit, you can't.  Not surprised he was the one to get the boot. 
Mila  -   Haha, lookie who got caught being a one-trick-pony.  {though not a hideous outfit, though.  The vest at least I liked.}

And now the top!

Jonathan -  Well fucking done.  Gorgeous, detailed OMGSOMECOLOR and best personified his element.
Seth Aaron -  Like the night sky to Jonathan's day, the supervillianess to his stepford wife, I loved his as well.  So much work and detail, I really loved it.  Though I do wonder if he just made the element fit his design tastes or made his tastes fit the element?  Is he being bold and consistent, or just stagnant?
Maya-  Pretty, but I'm not huge on the color and feel like the ruffles=water is kind of a no brainer.  It did move beautifully though.  Still would have taken Emilio's over her's.

Jay-  I have no idea what this is.  Therefore, I can't say if it well done or not. 
Emilio-  I love that green. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love  Still an asshole, though.
Anthony-   Loved the dress, though I think if he was going for a charred remains thing he might have wanted to go for some jagged straps or just jagged in general or something.

I will have to reconfigure my top three, though:

I'm thinking Jay, Seth Aaron and Maya instead of Amy.

I mean.  Unless Amy pulls out consistently amazing stuff after this and Maya falters...this is how it's looking.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-11-2010 09:24:43 PM)

#158 | Back to Top03-12-2010 09:17:28 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I BARELY caught the runway show because I was on the phone with my sister, so I'll have to go in-depth later after I watch it.

Alll I can say is....WTF AMY?! What is tha--I don't e--oh, fuck.

EDIT 3-13-10

Okay, I finally got to watch the episode, and I'm going to tackle this by element.

Earth

Emilio-- Loved his dress. I'm a sucker for olive green.
Mila-- I like the vest. Does that count for something? I thought Heidi was dead on for a change.

Air

Jay--I thought his was awesome and completely unwearable. I totally got "tornado" from what he did. (The stripe helps.)
Seth Aaron-- etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! That is all.
Jonathan-- I think this is one of his best pieces. I'm glad he won, even if I'd have given it to Sethy-poo. At the same time, I can't see the asymmetrical ruffly business on PR without being reminded of Christian and Chris' avant garde dress from Season 4.

Fire

Anthony-- I liked it. Loved his inspiration for the dress. I'm actually glad he didn't use the typical reds, yellows, and oranges associated with said element.
Amy-- Again, WHAT THE EVER-LOVING FUCK? This was a major fail on her part, and I hope she can recover. Also, "cat in a baby sling". emot-rofl

Water

Maya-- I liked it, but if you don't have broad shoulders, it won't look right. Also, it's interesting she's starting to get the "not sure who she is as a designer" comment.
Ben-- What the hell was he thinking? "I've never made pants before. LET'S TRY IT NOW!" *headdesk* Even so, he didn't make pants so much as he made panties with legs....badly. Oh, honey...no.

Overall, I'm shocked that Emilio and Jonathan were the only ones to make blatant color associations with their element while everyone else stuck to greys and blacks.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (03-14-2010 12:25:06 AM)

#159 | Back to Top03-19-2010 11:20:39 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OH, LOOK, AMY'S GONE! WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED?

It's not even that her top was ugly, per se. It was just...not good. To be honest, both she and Jonathan were off the mark when it came to the Upper East Side. If there was a team that should have done black and classic, it was them.

However, Jonathan's dress was etc-love etc-love etc-love. I think it could have been even better if it didn't flare out at the bottom. That's my only problem.

Mila & Jay-- Don't you love how Mila got called out last week for being a one-trick pony, and yet they keep praising her? Way to talk out of both sides of your mouth, judges. That said, her outfit was still cute, and I would kill for a pair of red tights.

Jay's outfit was a fucking mess. I was pretty damn disappointed. That and I have an irrational hatred for jodhpurs and harem pants.

Maya & Anthony-- Still etc-love Anthony. I wasn't a huge fan of the dress he made, though. I got that it was supposed to be a dragon, but the color made it look a bit like cardboard to me. I love him for actively trying to avoid a literal interpretation, but I worry if he's restraining himself a bit too much at times.

I liked Maya's outfit, and apparently, her inner dominatrix came roaring out today. I don't remember her being this assertive during the other team challenge. I do agree with Anthony, though, that her outfit was more evening than day. Also, that jacket was way, way cute. I'd love it with a pair of jeans.

Emilio and Seth Aaron--  Loved Seth Aaron's outfit, but I would also love to burn that fucking hat. I thought the fact that Emilio put his foot down and told him that they were using denim instead of black was kind of awesome. The use of colors actually made it look like an actual team project instead of solely Seth Aaron's.

Unfortunately, that dress was BORING AS FUCK. It was so...prom-like. Give the model a corsage and an awkward 17 year old boy, and it's on. That dress said neither "Harlem" nor "Billie Holiday" to me.

With Amy gone, I think my Top Three is Sethy-poo, Mila, and either Maya, Jay, or Jonathan(who, quite frankly, has shown himself to be one hell of a darkhorse lately).

#160 | Back to Top03-22-2010 09:44:42 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Go away Mila.

emot-mad

Also, word to Raven.  And team challenges are bullshit.

#161 | Back to Top03-25-2010 09:03:27 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

ANTHONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

I am dead inside. emot-frown

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (03-25-2010 09:03:54 PM)

#162 | Back to Top03-25-2010 11:07:42 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

One, what kind of crack were the judges on?  Emilio drew letters and hearts.  Big unoriginal whoop.  Seth Aaron wasn't robbed, he was drive-by'd.

And Maya' was HIDEOUS.  EW.  I fucking hate ruffle-bisecting-a-woman's-torso.  She looked like some clown-tiger-halloween-wtf.

And ANTHONY NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

:<

Mila needed to go home.  That was the ugliest, no-excuse-for-badly-constructing-such-a-simple-design since ever.  emot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mad

(And Jonathan's wasn't THAT bad, sheesh.  The print WAS pretty, just not as a fabric.  The coat was a bit too much as well.  But I saw elements in there I liked and the dress was cute, if a bit too heavy on the ruflles on top and not much suitable for his model.)

#163 | Back to Top03-26-2010 08:53:48 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Okay, now that I've calmed down considerably...*sniffle*

I liked Jay's outfit. I'd be all over the jacket, but I have a massive rack. They should have let him be critiqued, since he was the only one who wasn't.

I think if they were going to bitch about Anthony's one-note-ness, they should have mentioned it long before now. Even now, they only mentioned it half-assedly when they eliminated him. They should have just said, "WTF with all of the mini-dresses?" and it would have gotten the point across. This only makes Mila's continued existence all the more aggravating.

Speaking of which, what the hell was that goddamned atrocity that Mila made?! It looked like a 6-year-old's art project on butcher paper. I mean, YAY COLOR, but it was utter shite. And then we find out on the moddle aftershow that Brandise(the moddle) got bitched at by the judges for holding up the skirt so she could fucking walk in it. Just for the impaired motion alone, I'd have booted Mila over Anthony.

I'm really pissed about how the judges just shit all over Jonathan. I mean, MY GOD, they've never been that mean before. I'm willing to concede that the jacket was fail-tastic, but I liked his dress and the print he made. Dirty tablecloth my ass, Michael Kors. My only real complaint about the dress was that seamed/molded cups like that aren't meant for tiny boobs. Despite popular belief, they don't make your tatas look bigger because it's all shape and no lift. If anything, they make them look like you're trying to make them look bigger and failing, thus they look SMALLER.

And Heidi should no longer be allowed to talk if she's going show up looking like she "just freed herself from being chained to a radiator", to quote from the TWOP Project Runway thread.

As for the top three, I hated Emilio's print. I had a fleeting moment of love for Mila when she picked on him about not being able to read it, only for Tim to make the same assessment. My hatred of the print stems doesn't stem from being illegible, it's because that's the very thing I absolutely fucking despise about a lot of brands these days: the Coach C's, the Fendi F's, the Louis Vuitton LV's, Dooney & Burke's DB's. Then there's all the urban brands like Rocawear, Sean John, Baby Phat, and House of Dereon that plaster their entire name everywhere on everything. I feel like a lot of the prestige is lost from doing blatant advertising like that on your merchandise, and the fact that such items are usually the cheaper things available is highly suspect...excluding Louis Vuitton's full scale plunge into tackiness. I don't think I need an LV steamtrunk, kthnxbai.

Maya's wasn't as impressive as it could have been. The print was cute, but all that other shit just detracted from it. I'm also sick of the fluffy standing collar after Laura did it in Season 3 and got yelled at for copying Gaultier. I'm curious as hell about her announcement next week.

So much love for Sethy-poo and 2 day challenges from me this week. He cranked out that entire outfit, tie and all, in 2 days. Im-fucking-pressed.

#164 | Back to Top04-02-2010 05:45:52 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Ok, WTF Maya? You're "not ready" and "taking things too fast"? This is not the backseat of your boyfriends Chevy Nova on Prom Night, kay?

YAY, ANTHONY'S BACK!!!

AND HE WON!!!!!

I'm a bit iffy on his dress, though. There's a floppy bit in the boob area that bothers me, but other than that, I liked it for being flowy as hell.  It was hilarious how Heidi and Jessica were both drooling over it, though.

I liked Emilio's dress, but mainly because I like teh shinies. If it was in any other non-shiny fabric, I'd probably bitch about how it's boring as all fuck. Which it is. But it's SHINY. And Heidi did ask for simple.

Seth Aaron got stomped on. Poor baby. emot-mad His dress was incredibly tame for him, but I think he messed up by doing it in black. All the detail would get lost in a photograph.

Jay. Oh, Jay. Hate to say it, but the skirt really did make the moddle look incredibly bottom heavy. I would never have picked that for Heidi. This is the sort of outfit you put on someone who's a bit busty and/or broad-shouldered to balance them out.

Mila did warn us she's not a red carpet person. Even so, she still managed to squeeze in some black and some colorblocking. And it sucked. Reminds me of 1970's gym clothing for some reason. I debate the boob issue because the model is a B-cup, and Heidi isn't. Also, all boobs are different, even when they're the same bra size.

Poor Jonathan just imploded. If you told me someone was going to quit the show, I'd have thought it was him, not Maya. All the same, I think he felt defeated before the challenge even started, and Heidi's critique of his original dress drove him to self-sabotage. I can't defend what he sent down the runway at all. Big. Beige. Mess. Reminds me of Ping, just a little.

I'm starting to think the final three is going to be Seth Aaron, Emilio, and Jay/Mila fighting it out for the third spot unless Anthony curbstomps them next week.

#165 | Back to Top04-10-2010 09:23:59 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

...and Anthony's gone again. I wasn't actually a fan of my baby's dress. It reminded me of those frilly aprons that anime girls wear when they're naked.

The thing I realized about Anthony is that he knows how to make shit FOR people. Give him an objective and/or a client, and it's on like Donkey Kong. The problem comes in when you leave him to his own devices. Not that what he makes isn't nice, mind you, it's just not what the judges are looking for. All the same, it was still a total dick move to make Mila and Jay duke it out for the final spot and leave Anthony out.

In general, I pretty much hated all of it, except Seth Aaron's. I don't even know why we're going through with the pretense of the finale when he's going to win.

Jay's was okay, but it wasn't exaggerated enough for me. I'd have done a much wider pant leg with a fabric that had a subtle plaid or windowpane print. And the top did look like late 80's/early90's Michael Jackson.

Mila's was a hot mess. Granted, I'm a sucker for flowy, Matrix-y overcoats, but hers sucked ass. SO MUCH WRONG.

How the hell, did Emilio's win? I can't see what the judges saw. Looking forward to see him try to throw down against Tim next week, mainly because feel like I'm the only one that seems to understand why Tim has it in for Emilio.

#166 | Back to Top04-22-2010 11:41:26 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

#167 | Back to Top04-23-2010 08:38:13 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Agreed.

I love every single fucking piece in Seth Aaron's collection. even the purple dress everyone seems to hate so much.

Mila was meh. There were a few things that made me go "Ooh?", but the rest was fucking dull, even for her.

Emilio was killing me with that collection. When Mila called it 1994, she was actually right. The coats were nice, and I loved the shiny gold gown at the end. I have a weird obsession with clothing that looks best on a runway or with an industrial fan nearby...or both.

And why the hell is everyone trying to bring back gloves for daywear? I have no problem with it, but I'd like to know the impetus for this.

I'm not even discussing the reunion show because those bitches were so fucking salty I retained water.

#168 | Back to Top04-24-2010 10:58:23 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The reunion show does not need to exist. wtf.

Mila's collection pissed me off, even more than Emilio's ego.  There was a few cute things but it was all so EASY.  Colorblocking sans color with simple and/or shapeless forms.  A toddler could design and tailor that.  I think she's only been kept so far, at the very least the reason she was kept over Jay, was because she designs the kinda shit Heidi wears.

#169 | Back to Top09-01-2010 07:26:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

SO....anyone been watching the newest season?  It kinda started without my knowing, and I've been catching up on Hulu.  I kinda feel bad for Gretchen.  Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but she doesn't feel that OMGEVIL to me.  A bit proud and quick to critique the other designers on video confessional, and awkward socially...but all the designers are pretty much that way.  I think she's being villanized by Peach and April (And maybe I'm biased because I KNOW people like Peach and April in RL, who gang up together and need to have someone to hate in their lives at all times) and the show's overall need to have a bad guy.  I think she's one of the few desginer's I've seen who can do more with less.  You know.  That whole economizing part of design.  Subtlety. 

I want to take Mondo home and feed him cookies.  :3

EDIT:  Just watched the last episode.  Not cool how Gretchen went back on her word, but I don't really blame her.  The judges wanted an answer and she -and the rest- gave them one, that Micheal was the weakest link (thought honestly, I think that Aj was).  She got scared backing a line she secretly knew sucked.  :/  She could have handled it better, of course, but I think Tim was WAY out of line in what he accused her of -I don't think Gretchen bullied or manipulated anyone.  Everyone agreed with her designs, and she wasn't the only one to fumble on the runway.  She was a bit pushy... but only because she voiced her opinions first and no one saw fit to disagree.

She's a bit of a perfectionist.  She fears giving control to others when her name is on the line so she sucks at group challenges.

And they were doomed from the start.  Camel and Men's Wear for Women?  Ew.  I don't like some of the people on the winning team, but they pumped out some really beautiful stuff, also lot more original than what I was expecting from lace/military style.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-01-2010 08:39:13 PM)

#170 | Back to Top09-01-2010 11:15:50 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Oh, I think Gretchen is very manipulative. She essentially took over the designs and inserted her aesthetic into the clothing line. Then, when the shit started hitting the fan, she used emotional rhetoric to keep her team from calling her out. I might have believed her spiel if she hadn't cut Michael C. to the quick then rubbed salt on the wound. What she said about him was entirely unfair - watch the extended judging. It's not just her going "Oh, we had to assist him a bit" and leaving it at honest assessment. She blamed her for dragging her entire team down, mostly I believe out of spite over his last win. Which is entirely hypocritical. If she were truly an honorable perfectionist, then she would have had the balls to say, "These are my designs and they suck because I made them suck. Sorry to the rest of the team." Look at how quickly she did a complete 180 once the judges started interrogating her. Then, as a final act of unholy bitchiness, at the end of the episode, she said something along the lines of: "A.J. made a shirt-dress, but it didn't have to be a boring shirt-dress."

In other words, Gretchen deserves a good smack to the face, but Tim Gunn was right for putting the true blame on her team. None of them stuck up for their design aesthetics, and all except A.J. tried to pin the blame on a wholly undeserving Michael C. (again in the extended judging). They pretty much signed their own death warrant by being cowards.

That said, I hope and theorize that Gretchen will be around for awhile. She might just get up to Wendy Pepper levels of entertaining unholiness. Needless to say, the last episode was the most interesting PR has gotten in a long time.

Also, this is amazing: The Thirty Three Faces of Gretchen.

"He'd come stumbling over to me, his little legs trying so hard to navigate the workroom. 'Gwechn,' he'd slur. 'What's a button?' And my goodness, I was stuck for hours trying to show him the simplest of things. If anyone should go home tonight, it's Michael. Everything you see here is his fault."

Last edited by Katzenklavier (09-02-2010 12:06:43 AM)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#171 | Back to Top09-02-2010 10:56:28 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yes, she took over, but honestly, that's what happens when you voice an opinion or a thought and everyone agrees with you.  She didn't argue or 'force' any of her ideas down on the team.  She admitted that her ideas, organization and execution were a failure (which they were -the design aesthetic, the people doing separate pieces), and when forced to pick a 'weakest' link she chose.  She didn't choose herself because she's in it to win- just like everyone else.  She's not the only person on that team who went back on their word, or even the only person who knew the line sucked, but she was the only one willing to put her ass on the line and get grilled by the judges.  She's a self-serving coward who tries and fails to present herself as proud and sure because she is both narcissistic and insecure, but she's not evil and I don't think she was being manipulative.  I don't think she planned on (when they were back in the room) on being forced to cough up a scapegoat, and no one wanted to hear anything less than positive back there from the person unofficially chosen as the speaker.  Whether or not Micheal C was the weakest link isn't the issue; she honestly thought he was and so did the rest of the team -which she also knew- and also had immunity so when asked to throw someone under the bus she chose him, it's the logical, self-serving choice.

I'm kinda tired of judges demanding shit like this from contestants and then criminalizing them when they give it.

(Mondo is still love, btw.  I really loved his dress and wanted him to win.  Peach and whats-her-face with the straight across bangs also surprised me.  Jacket.  Must have.)

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-02-2010 11:00:41 AM)

#172 | Back to Top09-25-2010 04:23:54 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I kinda feel bad for Gretchen.  Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but she doesn't feel that OMGEVIL to me.  A bit proud and quick to critique the other designers on video confessional, and awkward socially...but all the designers are pretty much that way.

So, in other words, she's like an older live-action version of Courtney from Total Drama Island/Action/Musical?

I think she's being villanized by Peach and April (And maybe I'm biased because I KNOW people like Peach and April in RL, who gang up together and need to have someone to hate in their lives at all times) and the show's overall need to have a bad guy.  I think she's one of the few desginer's I've seen who can do more with less.  You know.  That whole economizing part of design.  Subtlety.

Peach and April are like less talented versions of Sweet Pea and what's-her-face from that same season. Allison? Kat? The other platinum blonde chick.  Mind you, I'm starting to get a bit into April's stuff because she occasionally passes for edgy, but I don't see her getting to Fashion Week except as a decoy.

I want to take Mondo home and feed him cookies.  :3

YES!

In general, though, I haven't been particularly enthused about this season. Maybe I've set my standards too high after last season, but everything's been a bit...meh.

Mondo, Andy, and April have only started jumping out at me over the last 2 or 3 weeks, and everything else has been background noise. This, of course, excludes the weirdness that is Casanova. Gretchen only grabs my attention because she's edited to be the villain this season, and that the judges seemed to like her early stuff.

As for this week, I'm so glad that Mondo won. I wish the front were longer, but the back was fucking fabulous. I will say, though, that for a makeup campaign where faces are important, I was incredibly dumbfounded by the endless emphasis everyone placed on the back of their pieces. Ok, yes, for a runway show, back emphasis is important, but models do not have a 360 degree neck rotation. At least Mondo's dress could have been used from the side or from the front without losing too much of its impact. Also, his RTW version was so fucking hot, I can't stand it. etc-love

Andy's outfit was the one I thought was going to win, but in retrospect, I'm not sure how well it would photograph. You lose a lot of texture in still shots as opposed to video. That is a prime example of how to do haute couture without making an elaborate dress.

I hated Gretchen's dress, and the relationship between it and her RTW piece was pretty much lost on me. Maybe my brain was tired, I dunno. She gets a cookie for her feather technique, but again, it seems like something that won't translate to print. Also, her styling made it look too costumey...period costume. Reminded me a bit of The Great Gatsby.

I don't even remember Christopher's RTW because his avant-garde piece looked like lace and toilet paper to me. Then I got distracted by the nekkid.  As for April, I really liked hers. Too much black for pictures, though.

Michael C. has boggled my mind all season. His RTW dress was the first thing I actually liked, and they hated it. Who the hell says I have to choose boobs or legs? My problem with his gown wasn't the train or the wired edge, it's that it wasn't ENOUGH. It lacked oomph.

Ivy... boring as hell. I'm surprised I hadn't heard Nina say anything like "Don't bore me."

Valerie was doing so well in the beginning, but she's starting to crash and burn. Nina putting her foot in her mouth about the Miss Guatemala remark was hilarious, but that white dress was pageanty as hell. Not to mention that black...thing...didn't even relate.

Also, can I just say that I hate how the "obvious zipper" is being executed? It doesn't look like an intentional design detail. It looks sloppy, amateurish, and (dare I say) cheap.

#173 | Back to Top09-25-2010 07:28:42 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

RAVEN MAH LOVE, I HAVE MISSED YOU.

But hell.  What is it with you stealing all of the words out of my mouth?  I was going to blather on about how April has really been surprising me lately, but that I would like to see her use more color, Mondo is still fucking awesome, the shows seems to have given up on making Gretchen a villian*, I adored Casanova if only because he admitted to his mistakes and took the critique as such (that one drama-llama meltdown aside), I like Micheal C's designs but would enjoy seeing something from him that is not a dress and is just a bit more...hrm...detailed?  Gretchen started out strong but damn is she attached to her color palette.  And I didn't get the connection between her two outfits either, and they at least would have looked worlds better sans the hippie-headbands**.  Honestly, I would have switched Micheal C out of the bottom three though, and put Christopher there instead.  That couture dress was tee-pee. 

Yeah, and the zipper.  The fuck, guys.  It's really annoying me because it looks so tacked on.  Like.  I had no idea the fuck to do to the back of this dress, or my dress is boring as shit.  ZIPPAH.

*Because they are all insulting the shit out of each other at every turn.  There is way more bad blood between her and Micheal C, though.  Otherwise, with the exception of Ivy, who gave me the willies and annoyed me with how clipped she was with the judges, they are all basically nice people.  Especially after April gave up that annoying habit of hers of dissing whoever won (though in hindsight, she probably did it partly to bond with Peach).

**Though it would have made an interesting photo by itself, with the model looking over her shoulder so you could see the gorg back of the dress.  Not entirely sure if that would be very editorial, though.

Oh, and that Jackie O was so not about making something a modern-day Jackie O would wear, but about making something modern that reminded the judges of Jackie O.

:/

#174 | Back to Top10-02-2010 10:57:18 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Last episode.  Made me cry.  Buckets.

#175 | Back to Top10-02-2010 04:34:06 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Last episode.  Made me cry.  Buckets.