This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-22-2013 01:51:31 PM

Jimothyette
New Student
Website

Movie manga?

Hi!  I'm new to the forums, but I've been lurking for a year or so now.  I'm a big time Utena fan, and I've read/watched every continuity that I've been able to get my hands on!  However, I just can't seem to find the movie manga.  I'm super curious to see what it's like, especially since the original manga was so different from the anime, and the movie was so different from either of them.  I'd really like to know if there's an English translation (French would work in a pinch, though).  Thanks so much!

...What am I doing here?  I fell asleep at Mcdonalds, and I can't remember anything after that

#2 | Back to Top09-22-2013 02:31:53 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Re: Movie manga?

I read the manga years after I first saw the movie. And, especially as I neared the conclusion, so many things that happened in the film made more sense when stripped down of the strangeness that Ikuhara inserted into it. Though the manga has many of the same themes, motivations, events, and internal mythology, Saito seems to put it into a more cohesive package that makes it all easier to understand. Mind you, there is something to be said for the crazy trip that Ikuhara puts us through. Plus the manga doesn't have nearly enough Wakaba.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#3 | Back to Top09-22-2013 02:40:19 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Flah wrote:

Plus the manga doesn't have nearly enough Wakaba.

Nothing has enough Wakaba.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top09-22-2013 09:10:59 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I own it, in English. It was released by Viz in 2004. However, reading it only confirmed what I heard a lot of people saying about Saito Chiho. It's rote, by-the-book shoujo where Touga and Akio are both boringly played-straight tragic prince figures, and with none of the nuance or interpretive dichotomies of the movie. This is especially disappointing when it comes to Touga, who is by far the most complex and interesting character in the movie.

Of course, there's also the fact that even though Saito prefers Utena with Touga, she does (grudgingly) yield to Utena/Anthy in the end, so I have to give her credit for that at least.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-22-2013 09:22:55 PM)

#5 | Back to Top09-24-2013 10:55:37 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I beg to disagree. Movie manga Akio is as perverse as any, younger than any, and his character design is probably the best of the four Utena versions; he's the only Akio with something of a human soul and actually a bit pitiful. Most of the manga's flaws are shared with the film but many of the film's silly indulgences are also left out. The angry outspoken Anthy has some of the best lines in the entire Utena canon. Juri and Miki have little to do, they barely have a reason to be there. So also Wakaba. If anything it is Utena who is made more boring, she is almost more a more passive mess than Anthy and even more of a psychological basket case than in the movie. Frankly, I find Touga slightly boring in all four version, but that's me. The final scene with Utena and Anthy is more tasteful than in the movie and unambiguous.

#6 | Back to Top09-25-2013 10:40:22 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

So you disagree by not really disagreeing much at all except about Touga? emot-tongue Of course manga Utena is more passive and a psychological mess. That's par for the course for female leads in classical shoujo, and I also agree that manga Anthy gets a number of impactful lines, though I greatly prefer her role in the movie due to the authority, autonomy, and personal drive she possesses there.

As for "more tasteful", though, I definitely wouldn't say so. More "realistic" perhaps, if you prefer. It certainly gives a more concrete impression of their post-Ohtori life together, but any suggestion that the movie's ending lacks for "taste" I could only attribute to a prudishness about nudity, which for better or worse left me long ago. To me the movie's final scene is a breathtaking artistic spectacle of love, triumph, hope, and beauty.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-25-2013 10:43:11 AM)

#7 | Back to Top09-25-2013 10:49:09 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Let's not drift off topic emot-smile  The OP was about where to find the movie manga.  If we want to go in depth on the movie manga and/or compare it to the movie, that belongs in a new thread.

#8 | Back to Top09-25-2013 02:55:12 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

There's an OP?
emot-confused
emot-rolleyes

Can't help, I got mine at Kinokuniya a long time ago.

#9 | Back to Top09-25-2013 03:06:19 PM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Try amazon. I'm in the UK not the US but I've seen it going on there.

brian wrote:

There's an OP?
emot-confused
emot-rolleyes

OP = original poster.

#10 | Back to Top09-25-2013 03:14:01 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Sigh, internet humor is so tricky to carry off.

#11 | Back to Top09-27-2013 07:53:09 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I must be the only person in the world who actually liked the manga and who thinks that it contributes to and compliments the SKU universe.

#12 | Back to Top09-28-2013 01:19:53 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

No, basically I agree. It's flawed but so is everything. Anyway, we are getting OT again but I hope that Utena fans don't narrow their horizons by rejecting it. It is worth the trouble of seeking out IMO. This is not an example of Nausicaa vs. Warriors of the Wind.

#13 | Back to Top09-28-2013 10:27:16 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

brian wrote:

This is not an example of Nausicaa vs. Warriors of the Wind.

Ohohoho! Let me tell you all a story. I beg the mods' indulgence, for this is a tale near and dear to my heart.

When I was a child, in the late 80's, it was customary for me to spend Friday nights over at my grandmother's house. (I didn't figure out why this was until many years later. emot-gonk) It was also customary for my grandmother and I to go to the video store and rent several movies for the event. One day, I happened to pick up something called, yes, "Warriors of the Wind".

For those who don't know, this was an extremely heavily edited - butchered into pieces, really - version of Miyazaki's first (and IMHO still his greatest, though my bias should be plain) masterpiece, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Most of the non-action scenes were cut out, and what was left was a dumbed down kid-version of itself.

The VHS box art is a story all its own, depicting a number of characters that outright do not exist in the movie (the robot, pegasus rider, and Generic Male Hero), certain others which are depicted completely outside of their proper context, and the actual (female) main character almost an afterthought in the background.

Miyazaki was so mortified with the treatment his movie received that he has disavowed even the existence of that release ever since. There's even a story (possibly apocryphal), that when, many many years later, it came time for Disney to rerelease Studio Ghibli's movies for the American market, the studio sent the Disney executives a katana with a message enclosed: "No cuts."

....and yet, even with all they had done to it, it left a deep and profound impression on me after I watched it as a child. The beauty and poignancy of its story and world, and the strength, compassion, and nobility of its heroine struck me deeply, and has stayed with me ever since. Years later, I purchased that same VHS copy from the video store, and I own it still to this day. (Of course, I'm now also privileged to own the proper Nausicaä DVD release.)

I didn't even know at the time that that was the beginning of my relationship with anime. The advent of Sailor Moon, in my freshman year in high school, is what would begin that in earnest - and that's a whole other story all to itself - but I now look back fondly on Warriors of the Wind as, if you will, my "fateful first encounter" with the medium that would become one of my life's passions.

You're right, this is not at all the same situation as with the Utena manga vis-à-vis the movie - but even if it was, I'd be the very last person to belittle its potential impact on that score. In fact, I'd probably be more kindly disposed to the manga if that was the situation, but it isn't. I haven't denied that it has some worthwhile elements. It does. But characterizing a dislike of it as a "narrowing of horizons" is itself narrow-minded.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-28-2013 10:50:43 PM)

#14 | Back to Top09-28-2013 10:35:02 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Aelanie wrote:

I beg the mods' indulgence, for this is a tale near and dear to my heart.

Granted. And that's a totally adorable story. emot-keke

I wish I had something topical to add, aside from that I quite like all the different interpretations; it's like changing lenses on a microscope to see different things on the slide. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#15 | Back to Top09-29-2013 03:20:18 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I keep meaning to write a brief essay on the different incarnations of Akio over the course of the series, movie and various mangas, but I keep getting distract- ooh, shiny!

#16 | Back to Top09-29-2013 03:36:19 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

crystalwren wrote:

I keep meaning to write a brief essay on the different incarnations of Akio over the course of the series, movie and various mangas, but I keep getting distract- ooh, shiny!

Do! And post it, natch.

I'm kinda wondering if I'm the only fan who isn't bothered by any of the versions or their changes. I like some differences, some takes more than others, but none appreciably annoy me or freak me out. Sometimes Akio goes "Tou!" and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes Miki sleeps with Touga and sometimes just just have sex and go to sleep separately. It's all good.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#17 | Back to Top09-29-2013 07:56:22 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, yeah, but to be fair, DD, you don't demand that anything at all make sense in a work of art, as long as it is presented with flair.  So of course discontinuities don't bother you. emot-wink

Sometimes Miki sleeps with Touga and sometimes just just have sex and go to sleep separately. It's all good.

emot-rofl

#18 | Back to Top09-29-2013 08:44:31 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

satyreyes wrote:

Well, yeah, but to be fair, DD, you don't demand that anything at all make sense in a work of art, as long as it is presented with flair.  So of course discontinuities don't bother you. emot-wink

Point.

#19 | Back to Top09-30-2013 12:47:29 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Aelenie... Aside from the grandmother thing, that exactly describes my childhood memory. Next time you rummage through my mind, I would like some advance notice. There are a few things that I'd like to keep away from prying eyes.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#20 | Back to Top10-02-2013 04:41:34 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Flah wrote:

Aelenie... Aside from the grandmother thing, that exactly describes my childhood memory. Next time you rummage through my mind, I would like some advance notice. There are a few things that I'd like to keep away from prying eyes.

Haha. Maybe I should tell the Sailor Moon story then, and we can see how closely those match, but another time perhaps - such as when the upcoming new SM anime (which can never, ever stand up to the original) airs.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-02-2013 04:42:06 AM)

Board footer