This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-10-2011 01:25:28 PM

SeizonSenryaku
Architectonitechnician

Does everyone Narutaru's protagonist remind you UTENA??

Ok, I just began reading Narutaru and I can't help but notice in Shiina's personality our dear Utena.
You do too? I'ts just me? emot-redface

Edit: Maybe I should post this in the SKU treadh? emot-confused

Last edited by SeizonSenryaku (12-10-2011 04:02:16 PM)

#2 | Back to Top12-13-2011 02:00:15 AM

Notebook Darling
Black Rosarian
Website

Re: Does everyone Narutaru's protagonist remind you UTENA??

It sounds cute! I haven't read the story, but I've put it on my plan-to-read-list

#3 | Back to Top12-13-2011 07:11:46 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Analogy time:

Evangelion : Voltron

Narutaru : Card Captor Sakura

#4 | Back to Top12-13-2011 01:39:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Moved to the SKU forum emot-smile

#5 | Back to Top12-13-2011 03:20:11 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

Notebook Darling wrote:

It sounds cute! I haven't read the story, but I've put it on my plan-to-read-list

Hehehe, be careful with that. I've seen the series, and believe you me, it's not cute.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#6 | Back to Top12-13-2011 10:18:15 PM

Calamity
High Tripper

hayama wrote:

Notebook Darling wrote:

Hehehe, be careful with that. I've seen the series, and believe you me, it's not cute.

Exactly what I was thinking. Oh that opening lies so hard...

#7 | Back to Top08-11-2014 01:47:55 PM

SeizonSenryaku
Architectonitechnician

Gosh, a post of mine in the ANALISYS CATALOGUE!! emot-danceemot-rofl

I clicked and COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN to have wrote this thread! emot-biggrin

#8 | Back to Top08-11-2014 02:24:11 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

I guess I need to get in gear and watch that series.
I believe it was directed by Chiaki Konaka, one of my favorite directors. I've loved just about everything he's done.
I was hoping to find a legal stream of it but all the usual suspects don't have it.

#9 | Back to Top08-11-2014 07:16:05 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Wow, I need to check this out.  Much thanks, SeizonSenryaku!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#10 | Back to Top08-11-2014 07:44:46 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I should warn you all, this show isn't for the faint of heart...or the weak of stomach, as it were. emot-frown At least it never got as bad as the manga did.

Last edited by Atropos (08-11-2014 07:45:45 PM)

#11 | Back to Top08-12-2014 11:02:04 AM

SeizonSenryaku
Architectonitechnician

Yeah, it's indeed not for the faint of heart. BUT, if you like this, you should first check the manga, is darker than the anime.

Of nothing, gorgeousshutin! emot-biggrin

Last edited by SeizonSenryaku (08-12-2014 11:03:52 AM)

#12 | Back to Top10-06-2014 03:39:04 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Narutaru...[Norio...just, poor, poor, Norio. One of my favorite characters, too. His fate may be worse than Anthy's or at least as bad. At least his suffering eventually ended with his death.]

I can see how Shiina is a bit like Utena. They both have a strong sense of justice but tend to mess up more often than not and despite their best intentions fail to see their friends' issues for what they truly are. But while Utena's parents died in an accident when she was little, Shiina's has an overbearing mother of Gendou proportions. I mean, she gave her daughter a name that is written with the kanji for 'seed that bears no fruit', it scarred Shiina into only writing her name with kana even when teachers tell her very firmly not to.

They have in common being the less messed up in a highly dysfunctional cast. I'd say Narutaru takes the cake in that regard as virtually every single named character is so troubled that it would take years of therapy to even begin to unravel their problems. With bullies that make Nanami come across as an angel, social Darwnian crazies who actually follow their views to their logical extremes, and cute critters who morph into nightmare fuel, Narutaru is one of the disturbing manga I ever encountered.

Which brings me to Bokurano, from the same mangaka. A bunch of kids meets a kooky guy who signs them on this cool game in which they take turns controlling this absurdly giant robot and fighting kaiju. Sounds kinda fun, right? Well, wrong. [Turns out the game is real, which is bad, and that each pilot will die as soon as the battle ends, which is just as bad. They die whether they win or lose and when they do win they end up destroying some other world. ]

I found the way Bokurano is structured to be a bit like SKU. Each pilot is given a lot of character development so that you end up really feeling for them. It also has a most unlikely 'hero', a kid who routinely slaps his kid sister around.

Board footer