This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top11-20-2008 02:42:17 PM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

Re: Favorite Couple

Maarika wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Etrangere wrote:

And I'm one of the rare person who don't like Utena/Anthy (romantically, that is, I Friend Ship them of course emot-keke)

Rare person #2 here. emot-keke I only view Utena/Anthy as friends not lovers

I see them like this, too. And they are my OTP. etc-love I don't know how that's supposed to make sense. I guess I just don't like Utena shipped with others that much.

I'm very much the same way. I don't really see them as lovers at all. I don't see them as just 'friends' either. They're certainly something quite different from anything there's a word for in my opinion

I ship them romantically only because I can't bear to see them with anyone else. It breaks my heart to think that their friendship might be torn apart due to 'loves' and 'relationships'. ::cough::Akio::cough:: But that's me being corny. emot-redface

#177 | Back to Top11-20-2008 03:40:47 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Kaelyndra wrote:

It breaks my heart to think that their friendship might be torn apart due to 'loves' and 'relationships'. ::cough::Akio::cough:: But that's me being corny. emot-redface

Haha! You're not being corny, dear. I still hate Akio for divirginizing Utena. emot-mad
Not because Touga should've gotten her first. *coughs* Really. *coughs* That's not it. >.>

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#178 | Back to Top11-21-2008 06:28:24 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Maarika wrote: I see them like this, too. And they are my OTP. etc-love I don't know how that's supposed to make sense. I guess I just don't like Utena shipped with others that much.

Yes yes, no matter what they are the One True Pairing of SKU. *bows down to Utena/Anthy in their many forms* etc-love 

Yummy. It could start with that scene where Kozue has kissed sleeping Miki and Anthy is staring at her from the doorway. And go from there. *drools*

Etrangere wrote: That sounds like a great idea, write it! Write it!

emot-biggrin I need to make a list of writing projects. So many crazily fun ideas out there.

hollow wrote: Naturally they would all hate each other the next day, LOL. But it would make for more good angst that is so crucial to the series, anyway.

*laps up angst* Moar moar moar. Never be happy, Juri! NEVER! *cries into hands at my own evil intentions toward the beautiful Juri*

Kaelyndra wrote: I'm very much the same way. I don't really see them as lovers at all. I don't see them as just 'friends' either. They're certainly something quite different from anything there's a word for in my opinion

What an apt way to put it. They are in a category of their own for sure.

I ship them romantically only because I can't bear to see them with anyone else. It breaks my heart to think that their friendship might be torn apart due to 'loves' and 'relationships'. ::cough::Akio::cough:: But that's me being corny. emot-redface

It breaks my heart too. emot-frown Although of course I ship them romantically (as well as friendship, as well as something-more-ship, as well as enemy-ship), and am ever hopeful that a natural progression into gaydom is possible for them. And be corny at will! If there's any couple people should die with corniness over it's Utena/Anthy. emot-redface

KaiChou wrote: Haha! You're not being corny, dear. I still hate Akio for divirginizing Utena. emot-mad
Not because Touga should've gotten her first. *coughs* Really. *coughs* That's not it. >.>

That scene with Utena/Akio is SO hard to watch. I just feel for her so much in that moment. You all know the moment I mean. Touga/Utena? I admit the (highlight for SPOILER:)movie and manga most pleasantly showed me great couple possibilites for this pairing of hotness. But I love Utena/Anthy so much more...I would die for a good fic out there though that did Touga/Utena but showed the Utena/Anthy friendship intact and growing. Is there such a mythical beast?

#179 | Back to Top11-30-2008 06:28:57 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

sharnii wrote:

Touga/Utena? I admit the (highlight for SPOILER:)movie and manga most pleasantly showed me great couple possibilites for this pairing of hotness.

Pairing of Hotness™ indeed. Here, have a poptart a etc-love and a hawt Kanae/Touga sex. *wicked smile*

sharnii wrote:

Is there such a mythical beast?

You mean... moi? *grins* Although I'm not a fan of Anthy/Utena, I once granted the drabble request of a fan. You can read it here. etc-love Please disregard if you've read it already, and sorry for the shameless plugging. emot-wink

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#180 | Back to Top12-01-2008 12:41:19 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

Maarika wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Etrangere wrote:

And I'm one of the rare person who don't like Utena/Anthy (romantically, that is, I Friend Ship them of course emot-keke)

I see them like this, too. And they are my OTP. etc-love I don't know how that's supposed to make sense. I guess I just don't like Utena shipped with others that much.

And I've started to like Kozue/Shiori (blame all those who ship them). And Miki/Kozue. school-devil

Well you can imagine them any way you want of course, but I think Ikuahra's commentary on the DVDs and the the movie as a statement pretty much closed the debate on whether or not he meant them to be "just friends" or not.

Other than Utena/Anthy (who adorn a lot of posters and wallscrolls in my room), I think I'd like to see Nanami in a yuri pairing becuase Nanami/Touga and Nanami/midget-slave aren't terribly interesting to me.  Nanami/Wakaba could be cute, Nanami/Juri sexy.  XD

#181 | Back to Top12-01-2008 05:40:34 AM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

And I've started to like Kozue/Shiori (blame all those who ship them). And Miki/Kozue. school-devil

Well you can imagine them any way you want of course, but I think Ikuahra's commentary on the DVDs and the the movie as a statement pretty much closed the debate on whether or not he meant them to be "just friends" or not.

What's with the confusion between shipping a couple (or not), and thinking that couple is canon (or not)? - regardless of whether author's intent count as canon.

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#182 | Back to Top12-01-2008 03:04:07 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I'm very much the same way. I don't really see them as lovers at all. I don't see them as just 'friends' either. They're certainly something quite different from anything there's a word for in my opinion.

I very much agree. They're not just simply friends, but sexuality just feels so out of place. I see them as having a lot of romantic love for each other and perhaps sensuality, but not sexual. Yes. Sensual is definitely how I'd put it. I could see them sharing a light symbolic kiss in a powerful moment, however. It's the ambiguity of their relationship that makes it one of my favorite pairings. Their bond is just so strong, which is a bit ironic considering how very very different they are. Yet, somehow, they manage to complement each other beautifully.

That scene with Utena/Akio is SO hard to watch. I just feel for her so much in that moment. You all know the moment I mean.

That was actually one of my favorite moments in the series. It's very powerful and eerily done. Utena looks so beautiful, in a way she doesn't generally tend to appear throughout the rest of the series. Although the "devirginizing" is generally seen in a negative context, I see it as the first step to her maturity. The wiser, stronger, and far more thoughttful Utena we see at the very end of the series begins to develop in that moment. In that act, she has to reconsider the notion of some of her own morals and the substance behind them. While I'm not saying it didn't hurt her, that pain was almost essential for her to abandon the constraining image of her prince.

Although I'm not a fan of Anthy/Utena, I once granted the drabble request of a fan.

*READS!*

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#183 | Back to Top12-01-2008 06:58:26 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Katzenklavier wrote:

I'm very much the same way. I don't really see them as lovers at all. I don't see them as just 'friends' either. They're certainly something quite different from anything there's a word for in my opinion.

I very much agree. They're not just simply friends, but sexuality just feels so out of place. I see them as having a lot of romantic love for each other and perhaps sensuality, but not sexual. Yes. Sensual is definitely how I'd put it. I could see them sharing a light symbolic kiss in a powerful moment, however. It's the ambiguity of their relationship that makes it one of my favorite pairings. Their bond is just so strong, which is a bit ironic considering how very very different they are. Yet, somehow, they manage to complement each other beautifully.

Couldn't it develop into sexual later on?  Utena is 13 after all, so I don't see how she's presented in certain episodes of tv show as that being her forever since she's still obviously in development. Of course being the prince you are not supposed to be sexual, but I think she already failed that test once.  lol

Last edited by J-Syxx (12-01-2008 07:05:50 PM)

#184 | Back to Top12-01-2008 11:17:29 PM

Blacky
Miki Molester

Hm... Favourite couples:
TougaxUtena
SaionjixAnthy
TatsuyaxWakaba
RukaxJuri

I don`t like yaoi or yuri...

Do you like people? Do you like thes wonderful world? Yes? Let`s skake hands!

#185 | Back to Top12-02-2008 05:01:03 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

JelliKatz wrote: That was actually one of my favorite moments in the series. It's very powerful and eerily done. Utena looks so beautiful, in a way she doesn't generally tend to appear throughout the rest of the series. Although the "devirginizing" is generally seen in a negative context, I see it as the first step to her maturity. The wiser, stronger, and far more thoughttful Utena we see at the very end of the series begins to develop in that moment. In that act, she has to reconsider the notion of some of her own morals and the substance behind them. While I'm not saying it didn't hurt her, that pain was almost essential for her to abandon the constraining image of her prince.

Fantastic analytical comment, I really see what you mean. I always love getting new SKU insights that gel with me. emot-biggrin

J-Syxx wrote: Couldn't it develop into sexual later on?

Well this is my hope, but as I've said before I like the eternal friendship thing too. *sigh* They're just so wonderful. *tears up* In any incarnation! Utena/Anthy forever!!! *starts frothing at mouth in scary fanatical fangirl moment*
*slooooowly gets a grip*
Yeah, so they're good together. Interestingly in my current ongoing long Utena/Anthy novella: Roses Grow (shameless plug, so tasteless of sharnii), I'm having a lot of trouble writing them getting anywhere sexual. I do plan to go there. But it's developing at a snail's pace. So that's intriguing for me as a romantic shipper of the two...it does seem hard to shift them from sensual to sexual. You see I have to somehow do it believably (at least for me), or Makio will rise from his rosegarden. But it's haaaard. But hey, I'm sure it will be worth it. At least for the horny author. school-devil

EDIT: (just caught this comment to me)

KaiChou wrote: Although I'm not a fan of Anthy/Utena, I once granted the drabble request of a fan. You can read it here. etc-love Please disregard if you've read it already, and sorry for the shameless plugging. emot-wink

Actually I hadn't read it, and thanks for the link. Nice job non-Anthy/Utena fan...perhaps you should write them some more? Heh heh.

Last edited by sharnii (12-02-2008 05:09:07 AM)

#186 | Back to Top12-04-2008 02:12:00 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Okay Akio and Kozue need some god damn fanfics. Why have I never seen an Akio/Kozue fanfic if they'd be such a sexual blitzkrieg?

seriously man! you never see those two together in any pics besides one episode and they both just like to screw every person they can. im going to draw a pic of those to toghter!

Straight couple (utena and i dont think any one will rememer him keido.)
Gay couple (touga and saionji, they are so meant for each other!)
Lesbian couple ( juri and shiroi, i mean they are so pissed off at each other its hard not to love them)
incest couple ( touga and nanami , only because me and my big brother are incest.)http://a783.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/119/l_61163596281d40a803fb0eeaf2bf5da6.jpg

And, just because,
Number one couple ( my fav wakaba and saionji.)

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#187 | Back to Top12-04-2008 11:55:25 PM

Katzenklavier

Tatsuya/Utena.

...Just think about it.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#188 | Back to Top12-05-2008 01:33:39 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Katzenklavier wrote:

Tatsuya/Utena.

...Just think about it.

OOOo! That needs a fanfic!

20 threads dead so far.

#189 | Back to Top12-06-2008 07:04:07 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

sharnii wrote:

Yeah, so they're good together. Interestingly in my current ongoing long Utena/Anthy novella: Roses Grow (shameless plug, so tasteless of sharnii), I'm having a lot of trouble writing them getting anywhere sexual. I do plan to go there. But it's developing at a snail's pace. So that's intriguing for me as a romantic shipper of the two...it does seem hard to shift them from sensual to sexual. You see I have to somehow do it believably (at least for me), or Makio will rise from his rosegarden. But it's haaaard. But hey, I'm sure it will be worth it. At least for the horny author. school-devil

Now that I have time for not-so-quick responses: I've been thinking about this (not that way!  ...mostly), and I do think that the only believable way to write Utena/Anthy would be to have them go slow.  Really slow.  I mean, Utena is still awfully young, and what sexual experience she has was awfully rushed and so not on her own terms.  Anthy is more experienced, sure, but none of it's healthy, and she even more needs practice approaching sex (and, er, everything else) on her own terms.  And let's not even start on how they both associate sex with the same guy (but, you know, who doesn't at Ohtori?).

I'd say that, while they're obviously comfortable living together, and there's no way they won't hug when they meet again (and my art book says they do!), they probably won't go beyond hugs for, like, at least a month.  Very gradually hugs will get longer, and constantly holding hands will grow into constantly spooning, but Utena's never going to actually initiate anything sexual.  So, in the end, it's about Anthy, and about her transition into someone with at least a bit of confidence and assertiveness, however long that takes.  Once she reaches that point, I don't think she'll have trouble demonstrating to Utena that, yes, Utena really does want to kiss her in not-so-chaste ways - and also, later, that, yes, these clothes really are getting in the way.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#190 | Back to Top12-07-2008 06:35:19 PM

utena-immortal-taylor
New Student

gay: Akio x touga..hot! i like them both. Saionji x Touga too.
straight: Touga x Utena..i d k....
Lesbian: Utena x Anthy..because i love them
incest: Anthy x Akio..so strange and mysterious..

Cristal Morris, if you can hear me. you are my anthy.

#191 | Back to Top12-12-2008 07:09:42 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

utena-immortal-taylor wrote:

straight: Touga x Utena..i d k....

poptartpoptartpoptart

#192 | Back to Top12-12-2008 08:00:03 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

End wrote: but Utena's never going to actually initiate anything sexual.  So, in the end, it's about Anthy, and about her transition into someone with at least a bit of confidence and assertiveness, however long that takes.  Once she reaches that point, I don't think she'll have trouble demonstrating to Utena that, yes, Utena really does want to kiss her in not-so-chaste ways - and also, later, that, yes, these clothes really are getting in the way.

I think you put that very well. emot-keke And yes, that's kinda what I'm feeling as I write this Utena/Anthy fic. Sloooooooooooooow. But sweet!

#193 | Back to Top12-12-2008 08:48:45 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

Katzenklavier wrote:

Tatsuya/Utena.

...Just think about it.

Do you just hate poor Wakaba or something? lol

#194 | Back to Top12-12-2008 10:50:07 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

sharnii wrote:

I think you put that very well. emot-keke And yes, that's kinda what I'm feeling as I write this Utena/Anthy fic. Sloooooooooooooow. But sweet!

I like sweet fanfics! emot-keke (rather than all going ecchi)
I shall wait for it!! emot-dance

My brain wants to have Anthy/Utena pair! emot-gonk
Lol, TatsuyaxUtena = Utena more like still having the pants in the relationship.. She doesn't want to be "normal"

But unless she found out Tatsuya was her prince.. emot-aaa
She might go Wakaba-like xD

Like in earlier pages, I still think NanamixUtena would make a wacky, happy pair! emot-biggrin

Touga x Miki is too! poptart

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#195 | Back to Top02-18-2014 01:12:51 PM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Yeah I post in a very old topics. I hope that okay. emot-gonk

Anyway my favorites pairing:

Straight
Nanami x Tsuwabuki
Juri x Miki (but mostly in the movie continuity)

Gay
Mikage x Mamiya (I was so sad after seeing episode 23 emot-frown )

Lesbian
Juri x Shiori etc-love
Utena x Anthy
Utena x Wakaba (that would be funny!)

Incest
Kozue x Miki

Others
Akio x his car
Car!Kozue x Car!Shiori (Car!Kozua found Car!Shiori right after she crash, hug her and that make Car!Shiori alive for not reason and they start a lovely relationship and past most of their times having fun hitting every student they can found school-devil)
Nanami x Manga!Juri x Movie!Shiori (I don't see how that can go wrong!)

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#196 | Back to Top02-18-2014 06:06:20 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I'm weirdly into Wakaba and Saio. She can fix him!

Yeah, that's a totally unhealthy approach. But, this is a show with nothing but totally unhealthy approaches and romances. At least they're kind of sweet and cute together, and useful to each other. I wouldn't even put it past Anthy to have sabotaged it just because it might turn healthy and then where would their whole End of the World game thing be?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#197 | Back to Top02-18-2014 10:39:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What's weird about that, it's one of the best pairings in the show and probably least nonfunctional. etc-saiowank

Yeah, there's the not healthy SHE CAN FIX HIM angle, but that's not entirely untrue. You know how you rehabilitate a feral and abused animal by showing it unconditional affectionate in a nonconfrontational environment?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#198 | Back to Top03-26-2014 03:06:21 AM

Katzenklavier

Watching Saionji pass over Wakaba was one of the times I wanted to throw something heavy at my TV. Here was his chance to be treated with esteem and unconditional affection - just like you noted, Gio. So naturally his insecurity and self-loathing rears its ugly head. He doesn't truly believe he's worth anything, so why desire someone who does? No, he has to go for the cold unattainable object that secretly hates him.

...JUST LIKE HE HATES HIMSELF!!!!

/2 cent psychoanalysis school-freud

#199 | Back to Top03-26-2014 06:03:27 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It's a great episode if you like banging your head into the wall and yelling at fictional characters for making stupid mistakes that hit entirely too close to home for a lot of people. emot-frown

BTW I think your psychoanalysis probably worth a little more than that. school-freud

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#200 | Back to Top03-26-2014 11:23:46 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Interesting analysis, Katzenklavier! 

Then, I'll also offer my own take on Saionji X Wakaba . . .

me from another thread wrote:

These two have their sweet moments, yes.  But . . .
Wakaba likes Saionji because sheltering the SC VP, even after he got expelled, gives her ‘a touch with greatness’ that makes her feel ‘special’ herself.
Saionji likes Wakaba because she gives him shelter when he needs it.
Their’s a conditional relationship if I’ve ever seen one.

And, remember what Wakaba said in the BR elevator scene?

Wakaba:  Whether in love, or my studies, in the end I'm just another face in the crowd.
Wakaba:  My world is completely different from that of the special people.
Wakaba:  But... but... If he's there, if he's with me, then I am special.
Wakaba:  Just a little bit longer, and I would have been reborn.

Wakaba is a lot more hurt by losing her chance "to have been reborn/remade into an outstandingly popular student" than she is by the unrequited romance.  It would have been less painful for her had she lost Saionji after already having attained campus elite/cool kid status ala Utena or the Student Council members.  In the end, I think that's really all that is to their relationship: a conditional romance (not love) that crumbles easily under the conditions.

P.S. The episode again confirms how Anthy's unpopularity among the girls (Wakaba included) has to do with their jealousy of her being undeniably attractive to even the most popular boys.  Even even as a victim of bullying, she still is regarded as being more "special (cool)" than the Wakabas and the Keikos at Ohtori's social setting due to her being a boy magnet.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Board footer