This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-04-2006 07:16:55 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Michaelangelo's creation of Anthy

On a different thread someone posted the following link:
http://www.broomstick.org/utena/mikage.html

Has anyone ever noticed these?
http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/maison/UtenaAnthy40.jpg

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Global/ … gelo_1.jpg

Last edited by brian (11-04-2006 07:20:49 PM)

#2 | Back to Top11-04-2006 07:19:12 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Re: Michaelangelo's creation of Anthy

OMG that is such an awesome comparison, between the two.
Very good brian..
school-eng101 I have learned something new..school-eng101

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#3 | Back to Top11-04-2006 08:57:55 PM

Z-Ko
Saionji Slapper

Wow. It appears Kunihiko Ikuhara did his homework.

Mikage as a ho. ROFL.

#4 | Back to Top11-04-2006 11:49:10 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Mikage as a whore is funny, but Utena as God and Anthy as Adam? Anthy struck me more as Eve throughout most of the series, and Lilith at the end.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#5 | Back to Top11-05-2006 02:52:49 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

It's the visual comparsion that matters. In the Sistine Chapel roof, God is giving life to Adam. If you look the scene in the series symbolically, you could say that Utena is giving life to Anthy. At the very least I'm certain that Ikuhara wanted to give a similar visual sensation as Michelangelo did.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#6 | Back to Top11-05-2006 07:00:10 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

...I can't believe I never noticed that. o_o Good job! Wonderful explanation, too, Lightice.

#7 | Back to Top11-05-2006 11:37:43 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Oh wow. I think subconsciously, I at least noticed that, because I remember watching that part and getting that kind of feel of the moment. Wonderful comparision. etc-love

#8 | Back to Top11-06-2006 07:03:57 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-aaa
I hate myself for never noticing this, but something always did nag me about that shot. I do believe that motif pops up again in art in suspiciously significant places...I'd have to do my homework.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#9 | Back to Top11-06-2006 02:24:49 PM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Mikage as a whore is funny, but Utena as God and Anthy as Adam? Anthy struck me more as Eve throughout most of the series, and Lilith at the end.

I never really understood what qualified Anthy as an Eve/Lillith archetype, given the loose parallels: First woman, tempted/becomes indulgent, spurned/banned from paradise. I don't see her as that kind of figure because the central characters around her don't really fit, I mean you could have Akio as the tempter and Utena as the redeemer, but who plays Adam and where does Dios come in? How is she banned from paradise through indulgence? She denies society her brother and is punished for it by being impaled, a bit different a story. And unlike those unlucky ladies of biblical/talmudic lore, Anthy is saved in the end.

My view on Anthy is more New Testament/Buddhist (it seems like a strange mixture, but it isn't really) I always felt that Akio was the Satanic figure, Utena was a sort of Christ figure, and Anthy was more like Judas (Et tu Brute?) or one of the damned. Akio represents all temptation, even tempting Utena, a theme that can be related to Satan tempting Jesus in the desert or Buddha facing the monster that is the darker self or illusion. Utena becomes the vessel for change (her name does mean calyx or however you spell it) and is sacrificed in the end to redeem/save/lift the veil of illusion of all those around her, something Christ does, and also the Buddhist key to enlightenment as well. Anthy is under illusion, soiled, and a character that betrays the savior but is eventually redeemed by the mercy of that savior/the Christ figure. Though Judas did hang himself, one can estimate, according to the story, that he was saved, being that Jesus sacrificed himself in place of all our sins, something that Utena does that releases Anthy from all illusion and control. Recall as well that while Jesus was on the cross, he had a doubtful hour, in which he cried out, "Lord, why have you betrayed me?" I think this is very similar to Utena's doubt before she is killed, "I guess I couldn't be a prince after all." Both he and Utena have seemed to misunderstand for a moment the magnitude of their sacrifice, and what they have achieved.

Just as a footnote: I am not Catholic. That's an endless debate for another thread. I'm comparing it to Utena as one story/mythology to another.

#10 | Back to Top11-07-2006 12:15:57 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Rebel Prince wrote:

Recall as well that while Jesus was on the cross, he had a doubtful hour, in which he cried out, "Lord, why have you betrayed me?" I think this is very similar to Utena's doubt before she is killed, "I guess I couldn't be a prince after all." Both he and Utena have seemed to misunderstand for a moment the magnitude of their sacrifice, and what they have achieved.

My god, I never noticed this and my mind is blown. I love this series. etc-love

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top11-08-2006 01:33:23 PM

ZSPACE
Touga Topper

OMG!!!!!!!! that kinda explains the extreme christian themes mixed with sexual uncertainty, love, it explains the show. Those last two images explain a lot. The show is genius!

#12 | Back to Top11-08-2006 10:24:44 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I saw Anthy as Eve because she was punished for one moment of putting her own desires (saving Dios from himself/eating the apple) ahead of what was her duty (standing aside and letting him do his thing, even if it killed him/remaining ignorant of the reality of good and evil).

As for Lilith, she was expelled from Paradise because she refused to step into the role that she'd been cast. And... that's not really Anthy. I don't know why I typed Lilith as well, I was kind of asleep at the time. But Utena is definitely a Christ figure. Right down to crucifixation. With swords.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#13 | Back to Top12-13-2012 01:13:22 PM

Erifrats101
New Student

I actually did notice that when I saw the pic in the gallery. It was an immediate connection for me.  I'm still unsure on who plays what roles (Utena = God, Anthy = Adam/Eve) since I don't remember most of the background of the story. Still, that's a very interesting concept to go into, and I was stunned when I first noticed the resemblance of the scene.

The Jesus/Judas/Satan analysis is great, too. I never thought of that...

#14 | Back to Top12-13-2012 01:26:54 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Cue me repeatedly cutting and pasting six year old links and trying to figure out why they don't work no matter how I try to adjust them. Ha.

I think the strongest connective tissue of that era of anime greats was that the production people knew the power of allusion Eva, Nadesico, Utena, and Escaflowne all appropriate mise en scene, framing, costuming or cuts from other works without drawing attention to them or turning it into clear pastiche or parody because on some level, if you're at all familiar, it resonates. And, if it doesn't resonate, it's still good framing or solid arrangement.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer