This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top01-12-2007 07:37:05 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: Is your mind loaded up with lots of obscure trivia?

Here are a couple from my personal file!

Chironex, or box jellyfish, attack with poisonous barbs that can kill within minutes of the initial assault. The first aid treatment? Vinegar. The weak acid solution dislodges the poison barbs, which makes treatment easier. This also works with fish egg streamers, which defend themselves in much the same manner.

In the late 1930s and throughout the 1940s, Mickey Mouse was banned from public and private view in Germany, Russia and Italy.

In 17th-century Italy, a proper gentleman didn't wash his hands after relieving himself. Why? The handwashing would have reminded decent people of the business he had just been about.

More later, folks! Keep your eyes open!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#102 | Back to Top01-12-2007 07:53:13 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

BioKraze wrote:

There are more chickens on Earth than humans. (Scary thought!)

that is actually good, that means they won't disapear soon from eating them emot-dance

BioKraze wrote:

In the late 1930s and throughout the 1940s, Mickey Mouse was banned from public and private view in Germany, Russia and Italy.

I somewhere heard than the Disney company made morale-boasting animations for the army in that period

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#103 | Back to Top01-12-2007 08:30:59 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Back in medieaval times, mead, beer and spiced wine were drunk by everyone of all ages.

Considering that drinking water back then, you risked everything from lead poisoning to cholera, and the short shelf-life of milk before refridgeration it's not surprising.

#104 | Back to Top01-12-2007 09:29:40 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Romanticide wrote:

I somewhere heard than the Disney company made morale-boasting animations for the army in that period

Well, he isn't Disney, but Marvin the Martian of Looney Tunes fame was designed to mock the Japanese. His flag was the same white banner with a red dot, which was later changed to a black banner with a red dot on it.

Pepe le Pew was designed to mock the French and their arrogant attitude (which is probably wrong, as I'm sure the racial stereotype has outlived its usefulness).

Speedy Gonzales was made to mock the Hispanic culture. Yosemite Sam was a mockery of the Southern folk, most notably the Texans.

Remember, this was WAY before censorship turned up in cartoons and such, so people got away with that sort of thing. Now, I highly doubt somebody could pull it off...at least in America, unless they were good at the game.

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#105 | Back to Top01-13-2007 02:22:37 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Its funny how in the 'good old days' censorship was designed to 'protect' us from sex and violence, while these days censorship is supposed to 'protect' us from 'certain kinds of political incorrectness'.

#106 | Back to Top01-13-2007 12:14:44 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Tamago wrote:

Its funny how in the 'good old days' censorship was designed to 'protect' us from sex and violence, while these days censorship is supposed to 'protect' us from 'certain kinds of political incorrectness'.

Isn't it, though?

#107 | Back to Top01-13-2007 04:15:51 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

BioKraze wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

Well, he isn't Disney, but Marvin the Martian of Looney Tunes fame was designed to mock the Japanese. His flag was the same white banner with a red dot, which was later changed to a black banner with a red dot on it.

This one I didn't knew about... interesting. Actually I'm sure somewhere in time I saw the episode "Nip the nips" which was a complete direct mocking of the japanese. I heard That chapter is actually banned to appear in the dvds.

Speedy Gonzales was made to mock the Hispanic culture.

You know I always thought as silly the way speedy and his folks were dressed as Porfirian perioud countrymen. And the desert backgrounds when they weren't in the Sonora desert zone. But I never gave much thought (neither bilis) to it.  Not even when I grew up. (when you think about the cultural context and how the world used to be so big some time ago you can forgive many cultural incorrectness and they start being good ways to analyze historical mentalities )

Remember, this was WAY before censorship turned up in cartoons and such, so people got away with that sort of thing. Now, I highly doubt somebody could pull it off...at least in America, unless they were good at the game.

It actually worries me when the same cultural mistakes are made in this "information era" emot-gonk As in one x-men evolution chapter, Cyclops ends up beat up by mystique near the frontier and left up to die in the dessert. To that point everything is okay…  until he is found and taken to México city to be given emergency medical attention, and the city is portrayed as badly as Speedy Gonzales backgrounds!!! emot-gonk México city is a HUGE modern city, not a typical backyards town!! Someone in the staff didn’t did his homework or utterly fail Geoghraphy.  (Also it was also retarded that he was taken that far if it was an emergency, the distance is more than a day by car, in normal circumstances he would be dead before reaching the half of the way. Any near city hospital would have been enough.)

Last edited by Romanticide (01-13-2007 05:21:10 PM)

#108 | Back to Top01-13-2007 07:31:38 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

You want more trivia. I know you do, my dears. Huhuhu...well, here you go...

The most common name in the entire world is Mohammed.

"Canada" is an Indian word meaning "big village."

Most heart attacks occur between 6:00 am and noon, when the body's blood pressure rises naturally.

The human brain uses ten times more oxygen than the rest of the body and its parts, combined.

Research has indicated that if you ate a banana recently, you are more "attractive" to mosquitoes.

Every year, there is one ton of cement poured for every man, woman and child in the world.

The construction hard hat was first invented and used during the construction of the Hoover Dam in 1933.

Iron nails cannot be hammered into oak wood; the acid in the wood corrodes the nails.

Each king in a standard deck of cards represents a great king from history. Spades is held by King David; clubs by Alexander the Great. Hearts are held by Charlemagne and diamonds by Julius Caesar.

Also, each suit in the card deck represents a major pillar of medieval economy. Spades -- military; clubs -- agriculture; diamonds -- merchants and hearts -- the Church.

Every year, over 8,800 people injure themselves with toothpicks.

In order for a deck of cards to be properly playable, it should be shuffled at least seven times.

Will I be back for more trivia? Of course, my dears. Huhuhu...

#109 | Back to Top01-13-2007 09:12:23 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

The human brain uses ten times more oxygen than the rest of the body and its parts, combined.

I remember it being that the brain uses 20% of all the oxygen in the body but it was a few years ago since I last heard of that factoid.

#110 | Back to Top01-13-2007 09:19:32 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

BioKraze wrote:

Chironex, or box jellyfish, attack with poisonous barbs that can kill within minutes of the initial assault. The first aid treatment? Vinegar.

Apparently the plague can be cured with penicillin and other antibiotics.

Also, a while ago my Animal Science teacher came into the room laughing with a newspaper in her hand. Some Scientists in Rhode Island infected a few mice with the plague, and they escaped. People do the darnedest things sometimes.

BioKraze wrote:

Research has indicated that if you ate a banana recently, you are more "attractive" to mosquitoes.

If you're ever outside in the middle of summer, wear shoes. That's the part of your body that they're most attracted to... I hate mosquitoes. The females need the blood for their eggs. They actually kill a lot of people every year by transmitting aids and other diseases.

Now that I'm on the subject, would it be alright if I added some useless facts about animals to the conversation?

Male angler fish are small parasites that feed off of the female's bloodstream.

There are no male whip-tailed lizards. In order to reproduce, two females must preform a courtship ritual where one female takes the role of the male and the other takes the role of the female. The two females later switch roles. The off-spring are clones that look identical to the mother.

A microorganism called a waterbear can enter a state in which it dehydrates itself. In this state, it can survive in extreme conditions for years at a time, and even in deep space. When the conditions return to normal, it rehydrate itself and continues living as though nothing happened.

Though the females produce the eggs, male seahorses carry and lay the eggs.

Flamingos gain their pink color from eating shrimp.

#111 | Back to Top01-14-2007 11:39:49 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, okay. You force my hand, people. Here's some more useless trivia:

During his lifetime, the average human male eats 50 tons of food.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

A human's finger nails grow faster than their toe nails -- about two hundredths of an inch per week.

For every shark that takes a bite out of a human, humans kill about a million sharks. (Poor little guys!)

The eye of a giant squid is the largest of any animal, exceeding 15 inches in diameter.

A lobster's teeth are located in its stomach, not its mouth. They are also the only creatures to have blue blood. When they flee potential predators, they do so by swimming backwards quickly.

On average, an adult human laughs 15 times a day. A child laughs about 400 times.

The average human is about a quarter-inch taller at night than at day.

The fastest moving land snail is the common garden snail, which clocks in at 55 yards per hour, or 0.0313 miles per hour.

Interestingly Tamago, kangaroos are lactose intolerant. How they found this out I'm afraid to ask.

Clams can live as long as 150 years.

Mosquitoes have 47 teeth to bite and penetrate with. When insect repellent is used to ward them off, it actually hides you by "blocking" the insect's sensory organs so they do not realise that you are there.

A Venus flytrap can consume an entire cheeseburger.

I'll be back with more trivia; you can rest assured of that!

#112 | Back to Top01-14-2007 05:25:16 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Okay, okay. You force my hand, people. Here's some more useless trivia:

For every shark that takes a bite out of a human, humans kill about a million sharks. (Poor little guys!)

(Also more humans die from eating sharks each year than from been eaten by sharks)

The eye of a giant squid is the largest of any animal, exceeding 15 inches in diameter.

(I knew this fact from when I was a kid.)

A lobster's teeth are located in its stomach, not its mouth. They are also the only creatures to have blue blood. When they flee potential predators, they do so by swimming backwards quickly.

(Now thats a freaky fact!)

Interestingly Tamago, kangaroos are lactose intolerant. How they found this out I'm afraid to ask.

(I can answer that, animal welfare in Australia sometimes find baby joeys inside their dead mothers pouches and when they fed them milk, that would be when they discovered this fact.)

A Venus flytrap can consume an entire cheeseburger.

(Somehow I find this fact hard to swallow emot-tongue )

#113 | Back to Top01-14-2007 09:36:27 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

BioKraze wrote:

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

Really...? It always takes me at least an hour to fall asleep. I honestly never realized that people could fall asleep that quickly. e_e

#114 | Back to Top01-15-2007 12:09:40 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Mermaids are symbolic of lesbianism. emot-biggrin emot-biggrin

Now ask me how many fanarts I have of the SKU girls as mermaids. emot-keke

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#115 | Back to Top01-15-2007 12:16:04 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

morosemocha wrote:

really? emot-aaa do you have more details of that? *sits for story*

#116 | Back to Top01-15-2007 12:16:08 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

morosemocha wrote:

Now ask me how many fanarts I have of the SKU girls as mermaids. emot-keke

Really? They are? That's cool.

And I take fucking forever to fall asleep. Of course, once I've fallen asleep I can sleep through an earthquake.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#117 | Back to Top01-15-2007 12:19:09 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

morosemocha wrote:

In what context? Because they can only do oral sex? Traditionally they're supposed to lure sailors overboard, so the symbol can't be very old...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#118 | Back to Top01-15-2007 01:01:14 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

And here I thought that the myth of mermaids was created when poor dugongs get mistaken for mermaids by drunken sailors who are feeling a bit too frisky.

Last edited by Tamago (01-15-2007 01:45:22 AM)

#119 | Back to Top01-15-2007 02:57:22 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Mm...historically, mermaids are often portrayed with a split tail (ala the original starbucks logo, actually), with the implication that there's a vagina between the tails. As for the symbolism.... my art teacher mentioned that once when I was doing a write-up on sexual symbolisms in art (I should try and find that, it was a particularly good piece) and it was in my art history text, but I've been looking for it for an hour now, and I can't find any references...hmmm...although I am restricted by what I can look up. emot-frown Stupid work not allowing me to play on the net to my fullest desires. emot-mad

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#120 | Back to Top01-15-2007 07:33:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

(I should try and find that, it was a particularly good piece)

Ooo oo! Please do, I'd love to read it. emot-smile

Oh fine, I'll throw in some trivia. By which I mean useless knowledge. The 'top five' chateaus in Bordeaux are Lafite-Rothschild, Latour, Margaux, Haut-Brion, and Mouton-Rothschild, the last of which is the only one that wasn't established as top tier in the late 1800s.

It's especially useless since I'll grow an extra head before I can afford to even look at the labels of any of those. emot-gonk

Edit: I'm still really surprised at that one, I can't help but wonder if it hadn't matured enough or it was a really off year or what. Then again not every single year is going to rock for each one. If I was going to dump $$$ I'd got for the Lafite.

Last edited by Giovanna (01-15-2007 10:21:25 AM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#121 | Back to Top01-15-2007 10:13:44 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Well, not to rain on the snobby wine parade or anything, but I've had a Mouton-Rothschild and I was less than impressed. I'm hoping their other offerings are better. Of course, for all I remember of the label, I'll end up buying the same one again. That'd be a shame, I'm sure they make better wines.

My bit of trivia:

There were two facets to Aphrodite, reflected by two titles. The first, Aphrodite Pandemos, is translated to mean 'Aphrodite Of the Common People' or 'Everyone's Aphrodite', and this was a reflection of her role as the goddess of sex, which everyone could have. The other facet was Aphrodite Ourania, translated most commonly as 'Heavenly Aphrodite' or 'Celestial Aphrodite'. This title was a reflection of Aphrodite as the goddess of supreme spiritual love.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#122 | Back to Top01-15-2007 08:03:33 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, more trivia from me! This one's all about obscure words!

Altiloquent: speaking pompously or in a high-flown manner.

Anililagnia: an attraction to older women.

Boanthropy: a form of insanity in which a man thinks he is an ox.

Chanking: food that has been spit out (fruit rinds or pits, etc.)

Dactylion: the tip of the middle finger.

Defenestration: the act of throwing somebody or something out of a window. (Also a popular crime in SimCity 2000's newspapers, for all you geeks out there...like me.)

Diphallic terata: a disease in which a male has two penises. (Sounds fun!)

Eyeservice: work done only while the boss is looking.

Grapholagnia: the urge to stare at obscene pictures.

Horripilate: to get goose bumps.

Macron: the little horizontal line above a vowel, to symbolise a long sound.

Mantissa: the portion of a number in scientific notation to the left of the "E" common to calculators.

Modulus: the technical term for the remainder of a quotient in division.

Polyorchid: a man who has at least three testicles.

Spermologer: one who collects trivia. (Aren't we all on this thread?)

Timmynoggy: a device that saves time and labor.

Zarf: a holder for a handless coffee cup.

How's that for obscure, my friends? More to come!

#123 | Back to Top01-15-2007 08:31:20 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Boanthropy: a form of insanity in which a man thinks he is an ox.

So would would you call it when a girl turns into a cow then?

Spermologer: one who collects trivia.

Blimey! What a deceptive sounding name.

MY OWN TRIVIA!

The average 24 month old child is about 48.5% of his/her final adult height.

Last edited by Tamago (01-15-2007 08:33:31 PM)

#124 | Back to Top01-15-2007 08:54:05 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, more obscure words from me! Have fun with them!

Abligurition: excessive spending on food and drink.

Brandophile: one who collects cigar bands.

Cachinnation: loud or hysterical laughter.

Cheiloproclitic: being attracted to a person's lips.

Dibble: to drink like a duck.

Diplasiasmus: the incorrect doubling of a letter when spelling a word.

Dishabillophobia: the fear of undressing, either alone or in front of somebody.

Euneirophrenia: peace of mind after a pleasant dream.

Farctate: the state of being stuffed with food (overeating).

Fremescence: the grumbling sound of an unhappy mob of people.

Gambrinous: being full of beer. (Yay for beer!)

Gynotikolobomassophile: one who likes to nibble on a woman's earlobe.

Haingle: to amble along in a feeble and listless manner.

Impecunious: having no cash or money.

Librocubicularist: one who reads in bed.

Misodoctakleidist: somebody who hates practicing the piano. (Kozue, anybody?)

Neanimorphic: looking younger than one's chronological age.

Notophile: one who collects bank notes.

Obdormition: numbness caused by pressure on a nerve (when a limb has "fallen asleep").

Pandiculation: stretching and yawning before going to bed or after waking up.

Quisquilian: consisting of trash and rubbish.

Rasceta: creases on the inside of the wrist.

Scatophagy: the religious practice of consuming excrement. (Yuck!)

Venustaphobia: the fear of beautiful women.

Wether: a castrated sheep.

Zills: the finger cymbals worn by belly dancers.

There now, how's that for obscurity?

#125 | Back to Top01-15-2007 09:30:33 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze, you love those 50c words don't ya? *hehe*

Board footer