This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-12-2006 05:47:22 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

What's your sappy fantasy?

Someone said in another post something about not every girl dreaming of a prince on a white horse, but that everyone has some fairy-tale fantasy like that. I can't for the life of me find the exact post to quote, but it made me make this topic.

What's your sappy fantasy, fairy-tale-esque fantasy? Anyone here ever dream of a prince on a white horse, or are we a little more diverse than that in our fantasizing? (I personally would hope so!)

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#2 | Back to Top12-12-2006 08:34:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: What's your sappy fantasy?

I really suck at sappy. emot-frown I don't have a sappy fantasy fairy-tale.

Or wait. Does it have to involve another person, or can it be a place? I don't think I've ever imagined a prince on a white horse, or anything really remotely like that. (Give me Akio or give me death! They're equally exhausting.) I have, however, imagined for myself places that served a similar purpose. Somewhere to escape to and feel safe in. Almost never remotely possibly in reality, I like to think up ridiculous weird laws of physics to give them, like gravity that fluctuates, so in spots, the water can float, or flow upwards, or moss that responded to pressure, so that if you laid on it, it would grow around you and cradle you.

I remember imagining things like stars and black holes spinning around each other. As it turned out, that actually happens. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:14:42 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Lol that's how I feel too, sometimes. I'm always dreaming about fantastical places. Wishing I could go there. Like, I've always wanted to be in one of those cliche flower fields with like a big tree to sit under and such. Or a Victorian house or someplace with magic stairs. OMG I love magic stairs. Like the stairs in Kingdom Hearts at the beginning.

Hmmm, fantasy. Probably to have some kind of really fantastical adventure/journey. And a hot guy involved. Of course. Not necessarily a prince on a white horse, but a special guy. But I think the idea of an adventure is what I really want.

Maybe that's why I like video games and comic books so much! emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:16:41 PM

A Day Without Me

Man, I feel so boring now! My one sappy fantasy-type deal is just getting to walk under the same umbrella as a certain someone in the rain. And that's all it is.

#5 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:31:23 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm a good old fashioned swashbuckling romantic.

I want to be the prince, figuratively. There's no white horse or anything but I'd like a person or a cause I care so much about I'd be willing to risk anything for. I'd be happiest with both.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#6 | Back to Top12-12-2006 09:55:29 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

how about a sexy DARK PRINCE who will seduce you and whisk you away for a night of....eh hem etc-love
not sappy at all

sexy!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#7 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:43:08 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

I want to be a character in a 16-bit old-school SNES RPG.

... I am so serious about this. I want the fantastical setting, the epic meaning, the otherworldly landscapes, the foe to fight, the extremes of emotion, the direness, and most of all, the comraderie, the freedom, the constant change.

Also, I want to be a prince.

Barring that, I often just sometimes long for someone to explore the world with.

#8 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:45:01 PM

A Day Without Me

Hmm, lots of potential princes here, huh? I think the closest I ever got to that was when I wanted to be the Blue Power Ranger back in kindergarten emot-rolleyes

Hmph, and, again, everyone's fantasies make my umbrella one seem so boring by comparison!

#9 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:46:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

how about a sexy DARK PRINCE who will seduce you and whisk you away for a night of....eh hem etc-love
not sappy at all

sexy!

Oh if that counts, I could just flood this thread. emot-biggrin

I never even had an innocent mushy princey stage. I went from Sesame Street to naughty man seducing me. Do I want to be whisked off my feet? Oh yes, but only so they can get my panties off. etc-wankgirl

You'd never place me for an Akio fan, huh? emot-rolleyes

Edit: Your umbrella fantasy isn't silly. At all. emot-smile

Last edited by Giovanna (12-12-2006 10:47:49 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#10 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:48:25 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Syna wrote:

I want to be a character in a 16-bit old-school SNES RPG.

... I am so serious about this. I want the fantastical setting, the epic meaning, the otherworldly landscapes, the foe to fight, the extremes of emotion, the direness, and most of all, the comraderie, the freedom, the constant change.

Also, I want to be a prince.

Barring that, I often just sometimes long for someone to explore the world with.

MARRY ME.

But seriously... I want to be the sarcastic, swashbuckling second son who wasn't going to inherit anything but a name and set out to make his own way in the world, having all sorts of crazy adventures that the heir would never have and meet a sassy, sarcastic tavern wench and ride off into the sunset with the contents of the rich businessman's safe. The chaotic-good type of guy who knows when to shut up and do what his girlfriend says.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#11 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:52:56 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

I want to be the nurse that works at Ogenki clinic.

...wait would that be "sappy" or "slutty"?

#12 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:57:27 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I figure that's part of what the Prince/Princess thing is about.  Granted, not EVERY girl wants to be rescued by a hero on a white horse, but we all have something or another we dream about.

That's what I said earlier today. emot-keke

What I was thinking when I said that was... When you're a kid, you're indoctrined with fairy tales and with certain expectations.  I doubt you'll find too many girls who didn't at some point in their young lives, imagine their wedding.  These ideals usually change as we get older.  Sometimes they change far less than we'd thought.  So my point was...that even if you don't have some frilly, fairy-tale dream anymore, you probably have some other sort of cherished ideal.  This can be not quite "nice" (ie: a dark prince? emot-wink)... Though I know I've surprised myself before with the sorts of sappy ideas I still have.

Personally, it's been so long since I imagined anything as traditional as happily-ever-after that I barely remember it.  When I was *really* young, I'm sure I had a general expectation of falling in love & getting married, though I wasn't the type to write about it in my journal or anything.  I do remember experiencing some surprise when I caught myself saying, "I doubt I'll ever get married."  I hadn't realized that I had so completely discarded that notion somewhere along the way.  That spurred my realization that, since middle school, I had often imagined my future house, pets, and career, but never a husband.

I have fuzzy memories of my childhood, though.  Most of my sappy fantasies (that I remember) involved being some kind of hero.  I've always had this thing for chicks with swords--that was one of the original reasons I was interested in seeing Utena. Haha.  I read entirely too many fantasy novels as a kid (ok, I still do), so I sort-of wanted to be sucked into one.  Hmm, I also wanted very badly to be a writer and "write things that would inspire people."  I wanted to have lots of cats and dogs.  I know I imagined finding my "soulmate", back when I believed in that sort of thing.

The most sappy dream I have these days...is probably the hope that my best friend and I will always be close.  This is the thought that, even if she got married and had kids and we didn't speak for a decade, I could call her out of the blue someday and we would still have the same connection we've had throughout the past 16 years.

And, of course, I do still (unfortunately) wish for a "special someone."  Sometimes, anyway.  I guess most people probably do.  Of course, the only sappy thing I think "want" in this hypothetical person is that he'd understand me almost as well as my best friend does.  Everything else is pretty prosaic...and some of it is not exactly nice.  *cough* school-devil

I like your umbrella, though!  I think those are the sorts of images we have that make us feel kind of mushy.  The kinds that are usually hard to pinpoint.  I'm sure I've got one or two of those, I just can't think of what they are.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (12-12-2006 10:59:46 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#13 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:15:49 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

I can't help it - I'm a horse-lover.  Now I don't neccessarily have a prince in mind, something more like the Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride (male or female), where we take a quiet ride underneath the stars and a full moon.  That's about as sappy as I get, though I'm real big on being a hopeless romantic and doing stereotypical stuff like candles and rose petals on the bed... that kinda stuff.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#14 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:24:43 PM

A Day Without Me

Giovanna wrote:

Edit: Your umbrella fantasy isn't silly. At all. emot-smile

emot-smile

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I like your umbrella, though!  I think those are the sorts of images we have that make us feel kind of mushy.  The kinds that are usually hard to pinpoint.  I'm sure I've got one or two of those, I just can't think of what they are.

emot-smile

And, yaaay, you found the quote!

ShatteredMirror wrote:

But seriously... I want to be the sarcastic, swashbuckling second son who wasn't going to inherit anything but a name and set out to make his own way in the world, having all sorts of crazy adventures that the heir would never have and meet a sassy, sarcastic tavern wench and ride off into the sunset with the contents of the rich businessman's safe. The chaotic-good type of guy who knows when to shut up and do what his girlfriend says.

Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Aww, that's so cute! (that that is your fantasy)

Yeah, my umbrella fantasy is really vague. I can picture the person I'd be walking with, since it's a specific person, and I can picture the rain and all that, but none of the other details are in focus - and, really, they don't need to be. I like my fuzzy, sappy little fantasy emot-smile

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-12-2006 11:32:25 PM)

#15 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:25:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I must be broken. Stars, candles, and roses are all things that aren't romantic to me at all, but rather really cool stuff to enjoy whenever you have time or money.

Edit: Rain. I think, overall, rain is romantic to me.

Last edited by Giovanna (12-12-2006 11:27:32 PM)

#16 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:27:20 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Oh Gee. Sometimes I think I got my childhood and romantic notions backwards, and I'm all the better for it. I come from a pretty old fashioned family (well it turns out I don't, but that was the image my mom chose to present to me when I was a little girl.) and I honestly thought I HAD to get married and have some kids. It was an inevitability, and I remember being six years old and playing kickball and thinking in the back of my head, "Now which one of these boys do I get along with well enough to marry? I've known Andrew for a pretty long time..." and, "Well kids look kind of painful, so I guess I'll adopt."

When it finally occured to me that I didn't have to do shit I didn't wanna I put the whole marriage and kids notion out of my head because it seemed like a lot of work. About the time most people are experiencing the ends of their first serious relationships I stopped looking for girls who'd put out because they were curious and fell in love for the first time, and pretty much built up any concept I had of romance and true love from there. I was one of the lucky few that didn't have many preconceptions... and I still don't think I do. I think that's partially why I can replace that "special someone" with an equally important cause, like the rare event when they discover tablets at the Yonaguni pyramids and I'm one of the dozen or so people left on the planet that can read these bad doods due to some reincarnation-related linguistic hangover.

There was really no need for me to type any of that. I need sleep.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#17 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:33:54 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm not bothered by people finding my fantasy cute. I'm not a typical prince. I'm not pure enough to do that. I've got honor, but it's not your typical kind.

#18 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:56:54 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

You know I think I'm broken like Gio. I was surprised to learn little girls were suppose to fantasize about being princesses or getting married. I was all about fantasy lands when I was a kid. Me and my sister had an entire anthromorphic kingdom thing going with our stuffed animals. And now I've stopped dreaming about fantasy worlds entirely and lets just say I would never base my happiness entirely on a relationship. I am more drawn to the idea of a paradise, a place of perpetual peace and safety, probably because of my background with stress related mental break-downs. Though unfortunately as a realist I must accept the fact I will probably never be in a stiuation where I am perpetually happy. However I suppsoe the hope is there. I guess that's my sappy fantasy.

#19 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:50:56 AM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Giovanna wrote:

I must be broken. Stars, candles, and roses are all things that aren't romantic to me at all, but rather really cool stuff to enjoy whenever you have time or money.

Edit: Rain. I think, overall, rain is romantic to me.

I agree so much with that.
One of my biggest mushy-moment fantasies would be curled up with my boy in my arms (because I'm not gonna find a guy tall enough to do it to me) beneath a tree while the rain hammers down and makes all the world have that smell like flowers are just about to start growing. Preferably, it'd be that kind of cold rain in which you draw together and appreciate the warmth all the more, and the sun would be setting so despite the omnipresent grey, the lines on the horizon are tinged with gold and violet.

Hrm. And here I thought I'd submerged almost entirely into cynicism about romance.

#20 | Back to Top12-13-2006 01:52:41 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I want to get in on that 16-bit SNES RPG deal. emot-redface

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#21 | Back to Top12-13-2006 02:56:20 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ragnarok wrote:

I want to get in on that 16-bit SNES RPG deal. emot-redface

Chrono Trigger, dude. Chrono Trigger.

#22 | Back to Top12-13-2006 03:10:32 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

A sappy fantasy?

Back when I was a girl, the nearest thing I can recall as a sappy fantasy is imagining myself as Charley and instead of of a prince on a white horse, I would hope for a mouse on a suped up motercycle. emot-dance

#23 | Back to Top12-13-2006 06:50:01 AM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

OMG CHRONO TRIGGER.

Don't even get me STARTED on all the crazy ways I was obsessed with that story at 10 years old. I wanted to be Lucca so bad. (Among other things.)

#24 | Back to Top12-13-2006 07:07:15 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

...my sappy fantasy?

I want my lovely boy to propose to me in Prague (or Rome), at a little cafe somewhere, where no one knows the two of us.

While I wear a smashing dress of course. emot-smile

Also, when I was a kid, I never really dreamed about Princes. HOWEVER, I did used to play that I had a cooking show, ala the Frugal Gourmet (who I thought was THE BOMB, as a kid) where I made mud pies, and stole my mom's gel SHOUT! to use as a topping. Oops.

Also,

skewedtartan wrote:

I was all about fantasy lands when I was a kid. Me and my sister had an entire anthromorphic kingdom thing going with our stuffed animals

Hahahahaha! I did that too. Maaaan, my favorite one was the one where the Enterprise got stuck in a world that was run by My Little Ponies. I think the ponies were bigger then my little Picard toy. A frequent playtime setup was that Picard and everybody had to go mediate peace talks between the Smurfs, who were raiding the Ponies, kidnapping and ravaging.

I fucking loved those things. I wonder where they all went.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#25 | Back to Top12-13-2006 07:57:33 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Almaser wrote:

Rain Mush

Yeah, that's about the sum of it. Rain especially, but just about any moving water. The ocean. etc-love

This isn't a fantasy really, but pretty damn sappy. My family used to go to Naples (west coast of Florida) every year. I am not a big fan of sunlight; I do my swimming at dusk and in the evening. Yes, this is dangerous because sharks and such wander closer at night. No, I've never been hurt. But it used to be the pinnacle of my vacation to swim out on a clear night and float in the water staring at the sky. Stare long enough and it feels like you're floating upward and just wrapped in blackness and stars, and there's a ceaseless void on either end of you. It was all very sappy and romantic to me. emot-redface

If anyone's ever seen Immortal Beloved, there's a scene that's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. This is also why I get all weirded out by that damn shot of Akio and Anthy where he's the stars. emot-mad

morosemocha wrote:

Also, when I was a kid, I never really dreamed about Princes. HOWEVER, I did used to play that I had a cooking show, ala the Frugal Gourmet (who I thought was THE BOMB, as a kid) where I made mud pies, and stole my mom's gel SHOUT! to use as a topping. Oops.

YOU. GET OUT OF MY CHILDHOOD. emot-mad

Board footer