This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-01-2010 08:54:35 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

What's the appeal of Scott Pilgrim?

I don't know if there are any Scott Pilgrim fans on the forum, but if so, can you fill me in? As far as I can tell from everything I've read, Scott Pilgrim is a comic about a shy, awkward, nerdy 23 year-old who has to defeat the 7 "evil" exes of the girl of his dreams in order to date her. It's got pop culture references galore, which I find very appealing, but...Scott Pilgrim, as a character, is a complete jerk. From what I've read about the comic and what I've read of the comic (half of the first volume), Scott Pilgrim is very selfish and self-centered, and is kind of a loser. His friends even continually hint at his jerk-like qualities.

Maybe I just have a low tolerance for ass-holes, both fictional and real, but Scott Pilgrim himself is keeping me from reading Scott Pilgrim the comic. If anyone is a fan of this series, can you tell me any reasons I should read it? Does Scott Pilgrim become less of a dick? Does he suffer for being an ass-hole, or does he end up getting the girl?

Why is this series so popular?

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#2 | Back to Top08-01-2010 09:28:22 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: What's the appeal of Scott Pilgrim?

I can't speak from a knowledgeable viewpoint here... but my brother, who has excellent taste (he introduced me to SKU) has said he wants me to read this. In my eyes, this is a very strong vote in favor of the series. I mean very strong. My brother is the main source of all my graphic novel experiences, and we react to things very much the same way, even to mourning Dream at the end of Sandman.

Bottom line, anything he likes graphic novel-wise is something I will like. That makes me think there's definitely going to be character development, movement, and real emotion in this series.

Last edited by Yasha (08-02-2010 01:54:46 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top08-01-2010 09:55:48 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I've been thinking about this all this time... Scott Pilgrim... so much of it is like Utena!

You have a protagonist, who is drawn to a mysterious girl. But, to win her over, you must keep your position as a champion over all those who challenge you to a duel.

I won't give much away, but at some point in the middle, ESPECIALLY AT THE LAST BOOK, there's that point in time when Scott is forced to face reality, and his choice of weapon also changed dramatically during his final duel because of this. Hence, Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.

Do read it! It's worth your time!

#4 | Back to Top08-02-2010 05:06:52 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Sorry this is OT, but I really hope Yasha did not just spoil the end of the Sandman series for me.  If so, could you please edit that part out (white font it?) so that others aren't also spoiled by it, please?

And back on topic, but I'll have an opinion in the next week or so--I have the first 2 volumes of SP sitting beside me.

Last edited by Mylene (08-02-2010 04:26:48 PM)

#5 | Back to Top08-02-2010 02:00:24 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Sorry Mylene! Sandman's so old that I didn't even think of it. If it helps, the ending is way more complex than that-- no half a sentence could really cover the stuff that goes on.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top08-02-2010 04:26:24 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Thanks for editing it Yasha.  etc-love  Paradox and I just started reading it this past weekend. Cause we're kinda slow that way. emot-redface

#7 | Back to Top08-08-2010 01:49:53 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Yasha and Hiraku, thanks for your input! I totally trust your opinions (or Yasha's brother's opinion, in this case), and I am thinking of reading Scott Pilgrim. Maybe. I've had a strong emotional reaction of anger and sadness and frustration to what I read so far--purely from watching the main character act like an oblivious ass-hole--but I think that a lot of that reaction is due to the fact that he reminds me so much of my ex-boyfriend, who was completely self-centered and abusive. He was also a huge Scott Pilgrim fan, and probably saw no flaws in Scott Pilgrim as a character. So now, when I try to read the graphic novel, my ex is mainly what I end up thinking about, and I get more and more pissed off and sad that he couldn't change and probably never will, and I end up falling backwards in all that emotional growing that I've been doing in trying to come to terms with everything that happened. This makes me want to avoid Scott Pilgrim at all costs, but it might be a useful resource in working out my issues.

Satyr helped me figure most of this out. He's very intelligent and a very good listener.

#8 | Back to Top08-08-2010 05:12:43 PM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

I've had a few friends who really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim but I've never even knew about it until I saw the preview for the first time && it was all over Comic-Con xD
I've slowly been getting into comics/movies also based off of comics so I'm excited to see it. Now that Hiraku just opened my eyes to the Utena similarities, I'm even more excited to see it.

&& a lot of people really do like jerk characters, just like they like evil characters. They're fascinated about how they got to that point && honestly, no one wants a comic all about the typical "Gary Stu". I think it's the extreme flaws of the character that draw in the audience && make them relatable to other characters/people they already know. Just my two cents on it though :]

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

~*~ Youtube: youtube.com/animentalcosplayer ~*~
~*~ dA: animentalcosplayer.deviantart.com ~*~

#9 | Back to Top08-20-2010 05:50:32 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

bella wrote:

Satyr helped me figure most of this out. He's very intelligent and a very good listener.

That he is. etc-love to you both.

#10 | Back to Top08-22-2010 07:35:43 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Thanks Yasha! :3 etc-love

I have a stronger reaction to Scott Pilgrim than I thought. On Friday a friend of mine mentioned it casually, and I basically freaked out and went into a panic-attack. I wasn't angry; just scared, and full of irrational fears that made me feel completely unsafe. Since then, I haven't really left my apartment. I don't know why, exactly, but abusive parts of my relationship have been replaying in my mind and I've been trying to stop them. Even so, I still don't want to leave.  FML.

I am totally ashamed that a comic book, regardless of its plot and characters, could cause such a reaction in me. I mean...I almost went to the hospital. And why is it that this specific things causes strong reactions, when other things my ex talked about or shared with me (more so than Scott Pilgrim) don't bother me at all?

I really need to get in to see my psychologist, but there isn't an opening until mid-September. I'm not sure what I'm going to do until then.

...and I was doing really well for a while, too, but I guess I can't expect to never have panic-attacks, EVER, if I'm living with PTSD. I should be happy that this was my first full-blown panic attack in a month and a half.

------

Once again: thank you, Satyr, for input and support.

Last edited by bella (08-22-2010 07:36:47 PM)

#11 | Back to Top08-22-2010 08:14:09 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Bella: You have zero reason to be ashamed. None. It is difficult to understand why certain things will trigger us more than others. Maybe it is because of your association of the protagonist with your ex. I noticed after I broke up with my ex that I was deeply bothered by things HE introduced me to, that I did not really develop an independent interest in outside of the context of him. So, even though I first watched some of Bleach with him, I was really only triggered by Uruhara, because he related to him in a lot of unflattering ways.

I am sorry you had a panic attack. I hope you are feeling better.

#12 | Back to Top08-22-2010 09:22:55 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Trench Kamen wrote:

I noticed after I broke up with my ex that I was deeply bothered by things HE introduced me to, that I did not really develop an independent interest in outside of the context of him. So, even though I first watched some of Bleach with him, I was really only triggered by Uruhara, because he related to him in a lot of unflattering ways.

Trench Kamen, thank you so much. Some of what you shared helped me to understand my own associations between my ex and this comic book franchise. I'll try to not feel so ashamed of being unable to control myself right now; if I get help and work through my triggers for panic-attacks, I'll be able to control myself soon, and then I won't live in fear a lot of the time.

I really appreciate what you said etc-love

#13 | Back to Top08-23-2010 04:30:25 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Someone invited me to see this movie, and after hearing such stirring reports from you all, I'm thinking of taking him up on the offer.

Bella, seconding Trench, and I think everyone would agree - you have no reason to be ashamed! After I was in a bad wreck, sometimes just watching fight scenes in movies where someone would get thrown around violently - even if they were fine in the film - would have me hyperventilating. Freaking Pirates of the Caribbean, I left the theater. ;( I felt so stupid, I was having the reaction of someone who'd been the victim of a violent crime or sexual assault - just for a wreck. Listen, I FELT ridiculous. But not a single person I told about those feelings ever agreed with me. Friends, family, therapist, even the occasional stranger. So I say the same to you, you're perfectly justified in having the reaction you do - so don't be ashamed! I hope that with time, you won't have such negative reactions (mine did go away after a few years), but until that time - it's ok to feel as you do. But, I hope things get better for you sooner than later. etc-love

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#14 | Back to Top08-23-2010 11:28:40 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

Speaking of exes introducing and thus ruining things, that's where I stand with Scott Pilgrim. An ex was really into Scott Pilgrim while we were together and kept trying to get me to read it. I was lazy and didn't. emot-tongue It's been about a year since we last spoke after finally truly imploding and now all this hooplah about Scott Pilgrim movie, game ad resurgance of stuff about the comic has left we feeling rather uncomfortable.

Never ever be ashamed for feeling this way bella dear. I still have my triggers from my former fiancee (a completely different ex, much worse of a situation, I had PTSD for a long time after it so I know what you're dealing with), certain songs make me freak out a bit internally to where I struggle to keep composure on the outside (and tv, being as lovely as it is, always finds a way to play commercials with a certain song in it that is a trigger for me). I do tend to feel incredibly awkward when one particular trigger song comes on around other people, as I usually always slink away and brood. Trying to explain why I disappeared is never easy.  It's been years now and some things set me off on different levels. I have faith in you though dear. We all must work through this kind of thing eventually (all to differing degrees of course), and we're always here if you need us to be.*hugs*

#15 | Back to Top08-23-2010 03:27:07 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

bella wrote:

I really appreciate what you said etc-love

I meant it. I'm glad I could help you, in some small way.

But you'll find you're not alone in this sort of thing, and you're not crazy. The mind is a mysterious thing, quite a complicated network.

#16 | Back to Top08-23-2010 08:40:42 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

GROUP HUG, GUYS!! emot-gonk (<---these are happy tears) I never thought that I'd get such overwhelmingly positive/supportive responses by simply saying that Scott Pilgrim gives me panic attacks and I feel lame about it. (But I've never felt anything but supported here, so I don't know why some more support surprised me!) I love you, and that you for sharing your stories. Frostyand Calamity, thank you for sharing; your personal stories are making a *big* difference in how I think about my own situation. I'm feeling less and less ashamed, and more positive about the accomplishments I'm making regarding my recovery, however small. (For example: I no longer freak out when someone says the name of my ex, or mentions the state my ex lives in. These two things used to be daily struggles for me.)

And Trench Kamen, I think you were right when you said that maybe Scott Pilgrim reminded me of my ex too much; that is definitely true. I can see some of the same personality traits, and maybe that starts something in my brain. Maybe that's why the Scott Pilgrim brand of ass-hole bothers me so much more than any other kind of ass-hole I've come across in fiction. Maybe that means that I won't be bothered by Scott Pilgrim, in time?

Either way, thanks for reassuring me that I'm not crazy; I sure felt like my brain was making a weird association when I got scared, of all things.

And Calamity, thank you for extending the offer of support! I really do need support safety net now, and it's comforting to know that some of the wonderful people from IRG can be part of that.

I love that this thread turned from a pissed-off one with the first post, to one where there are many posts of support. emot-dance

Last edited by bella (08-24-2010 12:56:18 AM)

#17 | Back to Top08-24-2010 09:49:58 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

I have to highly second the fact that this place is truly beautiful because everyone here are some of the most supportive people I've ever encountered on the net. I normally end up trailing off from a lot of forums after a while because I tend to not feel completely connected to the people there. Here is entirely differently, I may have only been here for about two months but I love you all so much, because you're all such supportive, caring and very intelligent people. I love SKU for everything it is, but my love for it has increased even more because it brought me to such a wonderful place. etc-love

I'm very proud of you Bella for working through some of your triggers. The name one was always a huge trigger for me. My ex fiancee has a rather popular female name, and everytime that I used to hear it, I would have to hide that I was cringing. It still happens from time to time, her last name keeps popping up no matter where I work so I'm always caught with my stomach in knots until I see that the name is spelt differently. It comes and goes really, but your progress makes me feel so very proud of you because it has been a demon for me as well. *hugs*

Board footer