This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-16-2007 11:29:22 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Re: Nemuro/Mikage and Mamiya's Relationship(s)

I think she means this look:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3361/jde7.jpg

I thought that was more of a knowing smirk, not necessarily anything with sexual overtones directed at Tsuwabuki. (Although the thought intruigues me, hmm. school-devil)

I don't think Mikage became a fully-fledged pedophile, despite his rather sensual posture when he had the meeting with Miki. It could be that he's like Touga and Akio, who simply ooze sexuality even with people they have no real intention of screwing.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#27 | Back to Top01-17-2007 12:04:50 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Ivy-chan wrote:

As a side note, a fun point about Mikage is how short, (read: of normal height for a Japanese male,) he is compared to the basketball player-like heights of the other young men on campus. I think Utena might be a bit taller than him by an inch. So, every time we see him with another person, he's specifically placed so that he might seem taller. With Saionji, we have Saionji kneeling on the floor, while Mikage is sitting on a chair. I find that amusing. emot-biggrin

Totally random point, but one that's pretty telling of his character. I think it shows a lot of his own sense of superiority. Try talking to someone with them seated calmly, while you're standing in front of them. You feel insubordinate, as thought you're being judged -or, in Mikage's case, measured, probably. Or with someone seated on a chair while you're on the floor. You'll feel childish, lesser. I don't think it's a concious thing, as I don't think he lacks the sense of self in the way that Touga does -Touga makes people inferior to make himself better. Mikage makes people inferior, because to him, they are.

Utena and Mikage have such interesting parrallels when it comes to their superiorities and inferiorities. But then, they are each other, just totally different. emot-tongue

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#28 | Back to Top01-17-2007 09:44:26 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

morosemocha wrote:

Utena and Mikage have such interesting parrallels when it comes to their superiorities and inferiorities. But then, they are each other, just totally different. emot-tongue

Hush! Someone else is going to get the idea to write an essay on it, and I'm still only halfway through my own!

And, of course, you are right - Utena and Mikage are, in so many ways, the same - Utena is just what one can view as the "light" version and Mikage as the "dark" version. Had they been in different circumstances, I'm sure Utena could've been the dark to Mikage's light.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#29 | Back to Top01-17-2007 10:37:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Anyway, Giovanna, you must explain the look you are referencing, please.

http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?pid=18023#p18023

emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top01-17-2007 01:04:25 PM

A Day Without Me

Thanks for the link, Gio.

Anyway, so now that I think it seems fairly certain that Mikage has a penchant for boys, the question is why?

With Mamiya, it makes sense in context - perhaps Nemuro felt some not-so-platonic feelings towards Mamiya before he became Mikage - I honestly think that, had Akio not intervened, Nemuro would not have gone the Mikage-pedo route. I think the full-out pedophilia set in thanks in large part to Akio and his manipulating ways - there was potential there, but not every person with pedophiliac leanings actually becomes a pedophile (an excellent example would be Hans Christian Andersen - tons of evidence towards him liking children a bit too much, but absolutely no evidence that he ever actually acted on it).

So, Akio encourages any sort of deviant feelings (I myself do not like the term 'deviant', but in the case of pedophilia I think most of us can agree this is a deviant behavior) Nemuro has for Mamiya, so that when Nemuro becomes Mikage, he actually acts on the pedophiliac leanings of Nemuro towards Anthy!Mamiya. So, in the grand scheme of things, Mikage's being involved with Anthy!Mamiya make sense, but it makes me wonder why Mikage shows sexual interest in Mitsuru and Miki - it would seem to suggest that he is, in fact, a full-blown pedophile.

So, uh, why? Anyone feel like speculating based on what we see? I could always guess he was molested as a child, but we don't see any actual evidence in the show of this (well, unless you count his pedophilia, of course) - unless, maybe I'm missing some bit of the show.

Now, on a related note, what exactly defines a pedophile? Is a person whom desires children but never acts on it an actual pedophile? Or must one act on their desire for a child to be considered a pedophile?

#31 | Back to Top01-17-2007 01:35:20 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I don't really know what to say, it's completly true. emot-gonk but, i just have a question... Mikage and Nemuro are the same age? I mean... Nemuro was 17, too?...

Now, how old is Tokiko?

I don't want to forget that Nemuro is not completly gay, actually i used to think that he was straight and because of Akio's manipulation he gave the feelings he had for Tokiko to the person who was closest: Mamiya, even if it was a fake Mamiya. Maybe this distortion show him the wicked and exciting world of teen boys.

But then, at first, he was in love with Tokiko, does anybody follow me? emot-gonk

#32 | Back to Top01-17-2007 01:42:57 PM

A Day Without Me

Yeah, I follow - although, I would agree with previous statements form others on the thread suggesting his love for Tokiko was a confusing mix of love for a maternal figure and a sexual love.

Its funny, I've never actually thought of Mikage as 'gay' exactly - just as a pedophile. I mean, I can't picture Mikage going after Saionji or Touga, for instance (which is technically still pedophilia in parts of the world, but they're 17, so it doesn't exactly fall on the same level as seducing Mitsuru would).

#33 | Back to Top01-17-2007 01:49:04 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I can't picture Mikage as a pedo. I mean, i can't picture anybody who is youngher than 20 as a pedophile. Really, i don't find Miki/Mikage as a pedo relation, or Mamiya/Mikage, since when i was 13 i was dating a guy who was 19 emot-gonk , but the last reference of Mikage's attraction to Mitsuru got me completly confused.

I don't see Mikage after Saionji or Touga because i picture him as an active, not passive. So, Touga and Saionji aren't so passive as Mikage. Maybe that's why he looks for youngher teens than him... that's the only explication i find.

My idea: Nemuro etc-love Tokiko > Tokiko is a bitch > Akio's manipulation > Nemuro is now Mikage > Mikage etc-love Tokiko's brother > Mikage etc-love a boy > Mikage is a pedo? (but Mikage doesn't exist).

I don't agree with the pedophilia idea, at all.

#34 | Back to Top01-17-2007 01:55:10 PM

A Day Without Me

Of course, Mikage's physical age and actual age are completely different - he's physically 18, but he's been around for a LOT longer.

And, this begs the question: how old was Nemuro before he became Mikage?

It seems like Mikage, at this point, is actually probably in the 35 to 50 age range - chronologically, it would seem he's closer to 35 or so, but this is Ohtori Academy we're talking about, so chronology isn't exactly a solid thing. I'd lean more towards him supposed to be in his 50's because Tokiko certainly looks like she is when we see her in present times - the wrinkles are the real tip-off here.

But I do consider Mikage a pedophile - Anthy!Mamiya physically looks to be around 12 years old (and real Mamiya looks like he could be as young as 11 yrs. old), and Mitsuru is 10 years old.

But, again, to go back to my original question, why is Mikage a pedophile?

Last edited by A Day Without Me (01-17-2007 02:00:33 PM)

#35 | Back to Top01-17-2007 01:59:43 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Nemuro is a genious. For being a teacher, you don't need to be older than 24, and much less if you're a genious. Let's remember that Miki is only 13 and he is taking college classes. I don't think that he's older than 30. Tokiko is married it's true, but as long as you stay in the Ohtori academy, you wont grow, that's what Akio said.

Plus, one of the old duellist that was working with Nemuro calls him "professor", and he sais "don't call me professor, we're almost the same age". He's NOT 30 emot-gonk

So... back to the topic, how old is Nemuro...?

Edit: i can't aswer your question because i don't think that he's a pedo. An adult who feels sexual inclinations to the boy's innocence, kids and children, is a pedo.
Edit2: ortography.

Last edited by Epi_lepsia (01-17-2007 02:22:23 PM)

#36 | Back to Top01-17-2007 02:20:56 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I believe that Nemuro was only 18-19, very early twenties, at tops. Remember that he mentioned of being the same age as his students, who seemed quite young, as well. He was a genious, after all.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#37 | Back to Top01-17-2007 02:31:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Mikage/Nemuro's in 12th grade. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#38 | Back to Top01-17-2007 02:49:41 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Physically he's that age. I believe A Day Without Me was referring to mentally.

Chronologically we know that Mikage is quite a bit older than Nemuro was at the time of Mamiya's death. And we know that he hasn't phsyically changed since that time. The question is if he has matured mentally or not over his extended years. Does he even realize how old he is?

That line of reasoning can run off into all sorts of directions, such as asking what maturity really is or how it can be defined and measured.

In Mikage's case there's too much uncertainty to say whether he can be classified as a pedophile in any official sense. What we can see is a definite attraction to 'Mamiya' as well as sexual overtones towards Miki and Tsuwabuki. In these three cases it is an attraction towards boys who are several years younger than Mikage is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mikage doesn't show physical interest in Utena. Even when he associates her as Tokiko returned to him, he doesn't seem to have any attraction towards her anymore. He instead wants to validate himself to her, which he failed to do with the burning of the hall. (Maybe the creepy as hell look he gives Utena when they're in front of the pictures counts?)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#39 | Back to Top01-17-2007 02:56:33 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Giovanna wrote:

Mikage/Nemuro's in 12th grade. emot-keke

I believe that only applies to Mikage. Nemuro seems to have passed his student days, though a great deal ahead of schedule.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#40 | Back to Top01-17-2007 03:13:21 PM

A Day Without Me

Ragnarok wrote:

Chronologically we know that Mikage is quite a bit older than Nemuro was at the time of Mamiya's death. And we know that he hasn't phsyically changed since that time. The question is if he has matured mentally or not over his extended years. Does he even realize how old he is?

That line of reasoning can run off into all sorts of directions, such as asking what maturity really is or how it can be defined and measured.

The whole age thing is so messed up in Utena - I don't think Mikage has really matured mentally very much since real!Mamiya died and Tokiko left. And he hasn't aged physically. The best term I can come up with is 'chronologically', which isn't really the right term given SKU's issues with chronology, and chronologically speaking, I'd say if he had been in the real world the whole time he'd be in that 35 to 50 range (but, again, I deifnitely lean towards the 50 end as opposed to the 35 end).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mikage doesn't show physical interest in Utena. Even when he associates her as Tokiko returned to him, he doesn't seem to have any attraction towards her anymore. He instead wants to validate himself to her, which he failed to do with the burning of the hall. (Maybe the creepy as hell look he gives Utena when they're in front of the pictures counts?)

Yeah, I never sensed there being any interest in Mikage towards Utena - and there certainly isn't any towards Tokiko when she stops by his office after talking to Akio and saying she notices neither of them has aged at all. Maybe Nemuro would've shown a slight attraction to Utena, but Mikage sure as hell doesn't.

#41 | Back to Top01-17-2007 04:57:42 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

I don't think Mikage has matured emotionally at all from when he was Nemuro, as an emotionally mature individual is useless to Akio. Sexually speaking, I think he 'matured', or rather, he became more aware and interested of the physicalities of sex.

As for Tokiko's age, I don't think it's ever been stated. I pegged her as being in her early twenties, twenty-three or twenty-four. I got the impression that she was chronologically older than him.

As for Mikage having romantic interest in Utena, we don't exactly see it. I don't think he was interested in Utena as anything but an adversary to overcome to accomplish his agenda. However, he also  seems to see Utena as Tokiko's 'avatar', so to speak. It's hard to say  at first whether he really does confuse the two, or he's simply calling Utena that name because he sees her as something of a spiritual replacement for Tokiko. Later on, it seems that the two really do become interchangeable. His feelings as Mikage for Tokiko don't seem to be sexual in nature.  Like Ragnarok wrote, he seems to want justification for 'Mamiya's' deeds, and he also seems to want to prove himself to her. His feelings for Tokiko warp his frelationship with Utena, and I don't think he really saw her as a romance interest, or even as a person.

Last edited by Ivy-chan (01-17-2007 09:55:12 PM)

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#42 | Back to Top01-20-2007 02:45:36 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Yeah, I never sensed there being any interest in Mikage towards Utena - and there certainly isn't any towards Tokiko when she stops by his office after talking to Akio and saying she notices neither of them has aged at all. Maybe Nemuro would've shown a slight attraction to Utena, but Mikage sure as hell doesn't.

Other way around; she walks by him on the way to Akio's. And wow he doesn't notice her at all...was she so hard to recognize with long hair? Or is it really that unimportant to recall what she looked like? He doesn't recognize the original Mamiya at first either, right? Strange it's not Tokiko he even kept a picture of, but then...is that picture Anthy's Mamiya or is it really Mamiya and he just sees it like everything else as an illusion?

I gotta say it's still really strange we see no evidence of a sexual or romantic interest in Utena...or any other female members of the cast, for that matter. His secretary comments on how distant he is. There's the incident with Nanami, but I suspect that was just plain an act to get the desired effect for Tsuwabuki. He plays finger-sucky with Mamiya in dark rooms, but nothing at all suggests an interest in women. emot-confused

On the other hand, there was the lipstick on the cup, which is a very feminine thing to pay attention to...but that was Nemuro. Could you read between enough lines to conclude Mikage turned out only really interested in boys? This has been driving me nuts all through capping the arc, I mean the evidence is there, but but but.. emot-gonk

#43 | Back to Top01-20-2007 03:27:13 PM

A Day Without Me

Giovanna wrote:

Could you read between enough lines to conclude Mikage turned out only really interested in boys? This has been driving me nuts all through capping the arc, I mean the evidence is there, but but but.. emot-gonk

Well, given that there is no evidence to the contrary... I mean, most of the Black Rose duelists were female, but you notice he never made any weird faces at them like he did with Mitsuru. In fact, his whole demeanor towards the female BR duelists suggests no sexual interest in them at all, and, well, if the creators wanted us to think he might enjoy the company of young females I'm sure they would've had him behave in some manner towards them as he behaves towards Mitsuru and Miki.

#44 | Back to Top01-20-2007 03:38:27 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Other way around; she walks by him on the way to Akio's. And wow he doesn't notice her at all...was she so hard to recognize with long hair? Or is it really that unimportant to recall what she looked like?

I've always assumed Mikage would expect Tokiko to appear the same age as she was when he last saw her. As he himself is unchanged, he expects the same to hold true for everyone. Therefore, in his mind the woman he walks past is simply too old to be Tokiko.

Giovanna wrote:

He doesn't recognize the original Mamiya at first either, right? Strange it's not Tokiko he even kept a picture of, but then...is that picture Anthy's Mamiya or is it really Mamiya and he just sees it like everything else as an illusion?

Well it's a picture of both 'Mamiya' and Tokiko, which then changes to the real Mamiya and Tokiko.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#45 | Back to Top01-20-2007 07:55:53 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Maybe Anthy and Akio really do have the ability to change a person's sexual orientation. It would explain a lot of the puzzlement over Mikage, Utena, and perhaps other characters.

#46 | Back to Top01-20-2007 11:40:22 PM

A Day Without Me

brian wrote:

Maybe Anthy and Akio really do have the ability to change a person's sexual orientation. It would explain a lot of the puzzlement over Mikage, Utena, and perhaps other characters.

Or maybe Akio and Anthy just have magic sex wands that they wave over everyone and... uhh... then they... uhhh... sex?

I'm sorry, its quite late and my heat is broken, so I'm not thinking too swiftly.

#47 | Back to Top01-21-2007 12:14:29 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Anthy and Akio secrete a powerful and mind-altering aphrodesiac from their pores, and their saliva contains an addictive chemical that shoots up the dopamine and norepinephrine levels. (Also, their toenails cure cancer. But no one cares about that.)

-Isaac Newton

#48 | Back to Top01-21-2007 12:50:24 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Some people in this thread wrote:

Mikage shows no real interest in the girls only the guys.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/mikageyoungboys.jpg

#49 | Back to Top01-21-2007 01:51:29 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Of course, that picture was taken in his pre-Pop Tart days.

-Isaac Newton

#50 | Back to Top01-21-2007 01:55:00 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

You know, he looks like a young boy 8D

Board footer