This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-19-2007 04:41:46 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: Adulthood

morosemocha wrote:

Having just registered for all my insurance through Hilton, I feel strangely adult. It must be the aftereffects of having spent a day deciding if Death & Dismemberment insurance was really worth it.

Is it adulthood the acceptance of impending mortality?

I've had proper life insurance for over a year now and still feel like I did at seven years old. Although getting the insurance was kind of fun; I was at the bank giving my mother signing authority on my New Zealand accounts as I was leaving the country for an undetermined period, and the nice lady at the bank said: "Do you have life insurance?"
"No."
"Oh, you should. You probably don't know how expensive it is, should you die overseas, to have your body shipped home. It could be twenty thousand dollars or more!" (New Zealand dollars. It's maybe twelve thousand US, and about eight thousand Sterling.)
"...oh, okay." (Turning to my mother, who is giving me an incredulous look while sitting next to me.) "Hey, mum? You know how I always said I wanted to be cremated, right? If I die in England or wherever, cremate me there and...I don't know, post me back. Or you can ask them to chuck me off a cliff in Scotland, whatever. I'm cool with it. Aside from the burning, shouldn't be expensive."
"..." (Bank lady looks disconcerted.)
"...but you can quote me a price if you want, whatever."

I did get it, as you can see. I also wrote a will. Fuck this shit, I want to be a kid again. emot-gonk

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#27 | Back to Top09-19-2007 05:07:30 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

My insurance is trying to screw me over and not pay for the hospital costs of a seizure I had like, six months back... the bill is ~$7000 (how can it even cost that much to run a few tests on me and keep me in a bed over night for "observation" ... the cheerios they gave me when I woke up must have been a $1000 bowl ~.~). And I'm having to call the insurance company and the hospital like, every day to argue with people who don't really care about what I have to say. Which is tough, because I'm pretty busy with other work at the moment, and the last thing I need is to be stuck on hold for 20 minute blocks.

I don't feel mature, just frustrated emot-mad

#28 | Back to Top09-20-2007 01:37:37 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

So is the only good thing about adult hood is that you get to make all your own decisions? emot-tongue Kidding but really i have moments where i would never live at my home with parents again but then i think of all the bills that i would have to pay and say at least it is free...sorry randomness but i guess that the gift of adult hood is that you get to make your own decisions and the price is that you have to take responsibility for those decisions .
BTW The phone tag hell is annoying me too good luck with the insurance.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (09-20-2007 01:39:41 AM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#29 | Back to Top09-20-2007 02:22:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Valeli wrote:

I don't feel mature, just frustrated emot-mad

In this case, maturity is the realization that there is no one in the medical field that isn't either hopelessly inept or out to gut you for everything you're worth. emot-mad

This is the first time I've lived away from my own home. I haven't gotten a job or anything yet ('HAY I WANNA A JOB :blows snot everywhere:') but it's still I suppose the most adult thing I've done so far in the eyes of most people. My instinct more and more is to use money as the measure of a person's maturity, since in and of itself it proves an adult level of responsibility. But then I realized that means most people aren't mature in the least. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top09-25-2007 10:44:42 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Clearly, you're an adult when you get laid.

Because, you know, everybody who has sex is suddenly mature. school-eng101

#31 | Back to Top09-26-2007 12:26:13 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

"maturity is for cheese" emot-tongue

#32 | Back to Top09-28-2007 02:49:52 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

and i have been told wine.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#33 | Back to Top09-28-2007 12:06:04 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm sure somebody out there thinks that I'm grown up because I tend to think that what I want does not, in the end, matter.

And someone else will think that I'm incredibly immature for thinking that.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#34 | Back to Top09-28-2007 12:36:22 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

For my case, I'm definitely considered immature whenever I want something badly. Because for me, it doesn't matter what others usually think as long as I feel it matters to me. emot-tongue This seriously affects my level of enthusiasm/apathy toward an issue. While the general concept of adulthood seems to be that you're supposed to do what you "should" be doing with your life and for the world and not necessarily what you want to be doing.

Board footer