This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-26-2009 10:51:14 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Another Heated Debate!

Yes, I got the question from Vh1. Sue me. emot-tongue

And the question is did disco suck?

Yes or No.

I am neutral considering I love some disco songs, and Earth, Wind and Fire are disco. But I have a love for punk as well. Lots and lots of love.

#2 | Back to Top10-27-2009 03:38:25 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Another Heated Debate!

We talking about the music or the dancing?

#3 | Back to Top10-27-2009 05:54:18 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

No though I am too young to say while knowing what it was like when disco was popular.  But no. Disco is a legend that will continue to live in our hearts and minds for many years to come unlike rap and certainly unlike screamo...I hope.

edit: To clarify, I know rap has been around, but I am mostly stating as to how grossly commercialized it has become though I suppose it might find itself altered in how it is expressed in the next decade and thus survive, but whatever.

Last edited by spoon-san (10-27-2009 08:22:32 PM)

#4 | Back to Top10-27-2009 10:21:46 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Tamago wrote:

We talking about the music or the dancing?

Both, really.

I remember my mom always talking about how there was like a musical war at the time between disco and the rock/punk era trying to dominate the decade.

#5 | Back to Top10-27-2009 01:36:39 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

"Now take me dancing at the disco!" emot-biggrin

I like some disco music (preferably the older material--it aged pretty well). But like with anything that gets really popular, really fast, you get sick of it.I can think of great disco songs, Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" and horrible disco songs (that I will not mention). So it's the same with any type of genre, I think. The sad thing about disco was it collasped on itself.

You certainly hear disco elements in a lot of pop music today. It was great for a lot of things and bad in some ways, you had new electronic sounds coming from that and then you had the drug and sex culture which sorta spiraled out of control. Disco was about love and excess, and punk was in a way, the antithesis to that.

Have you watched the documentary " NY 77: The Coolest Year in Hell," it's a good look at all that was going on around that time and disco and punk are discussed.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#6 | Back to Top10-27-2009 08:02:02 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

spoon-san wrote:

No though I am too young to say while knowing what it was like when disco was popular.  But no. Disco is a legend that will continue to live in our hearts and minds for many years to come unlike rap and certainly unlike screamo...I hope.

I as far as Rap goes I have to disagree with you, it was said that Rap was a flash in the pan fad that would quickly die out, but the very year marks Hip-Hop's 30th anniversary. Anything ending in "mo" on the other hand is indeed on its last legs. Now back to Disco, it didn't suck but it got so over saturated with content and one-offs that it became a parody of itself (Disco Duck im looking at you).

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#7 | Back to Top10-31-2009 02:26:10 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Disco dancing is dead but knowing fashion's desire to raise the unholiest fashions back to life, it could come back.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#8 | Back to Top10-31-2009 11:25:56 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

You can love both.

but disco has platform shoes. And god knows, I need them to live. (My existence is MEANINGLESS without platforms. emot-gonk ) I do like new wave WAY too much though, but really, I might like them in a HAHA WUT kind of way. D:

But I prefer rock. Seazer was the best part of the 70's. This is fact.

Board footer