This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#376 | Back to Top08-02-2014 10:04:30 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

Double posting action time GO!

There's swatches of Pagan and Vain on Temptalia. Pagan is a gorgeous dark purple, but it applies worse than Technopagan. I still want it. Vain, however, I don't need because it's legitimately just a darker version of Rx. They call it indigo, but I honestly don't think most people realize that indigo is supposed to be a color that's between blue and purple, not just a dark blue that isn't navy.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#377 | Back to Top08-03-2014 11:18:54 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I gave a couple of shades of OCC Lip Tars another try (Anime, Rx, Pool Boy and Yaoi) because they are the easiest product to sample ever.  Both Yaoi and Anime traveled regardless of how well I blotted them or let them dry; they stuck to every surface they came into contact with, so every time I pressed my lips, or ate or drank anything, they would restamp outside my lip line, and faded to nothing pretty quick.  Scrubbing and treating my lips beforehand made no difference.  Shame, since Anime is a gorgeous shade.

Pool Boy and Rx looked fine, so long as I applied a thin, patchy "base coat" of each first and let it dry, then applied a top layer.  Taking the extra time to apply them correctly wasn't really an issue with these shades.  Even if they applied opaque in one coat you would still have to take your time with them because they are intense colors.  Extra application time is a must with intense shades no matter how good the formula.  My big issue is that both made my teeth look super yellow.  Not all blues do this, so that was disappointing.

I have been keeping an eye on the new KVD Studded Lipsticks, because holy shit those metallics/shimmer shades, some of them inspire mighty need.  But the reviews have been... polarized?  Allurabeauty reviewed the matte shades complete with lip swatches; confirmed for shit.  The other shades I either see people 5-star loving or straight up hating, saying they are dry and fade quickly.  Dryness is the most commonly heard complaint.

In other news, the NYX Butter Lip Gloss, at least the one shade I have tried (creme brulee), is everything it was hyped to be: looks great, smells great, feels great and plumps.  And I actually like the smaller size tube.  I don't need to be goo hoarding any more than I already do.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-03-2014 11:19:36 AM)

#378 | Back to Top08-04-2014 02:08:03 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

In other news, the NYX Butter Lip Gloss, at least the one shade I have tried (creme brulee), is everything it was hyped to be: looks great, smells great, feels great and plumps.  And I actually like the smaller size tube.  I don't need to be goo hoarding any more than I already do.

This way hyped? I got it in a glam bag from Ipsy, and it is pretty neat. I'm not used to scented lip balm though so I hiss a little whenever I sniff it.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#379 | Back to Top08-04-2014 06:08:31 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Yeah, it's all over the youtubes.  With all the new gimmicky lip products in drugstores in the 8-12 dollar price range, it is nice to find a cheaply priced gloss that delivers the feel and color it promises, with no frills.  I'm pretty inured to lipscents at this point.  As long as they don't smell like flowers or the old leather interior of a car left out in the summer heat, I'm good.

#380 | Back to Top08-04-2014 07:45:39 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I gave a couple of shades of OCC Lip Tars another try (Anime, Rx, Pool Boy and Yaoi) because they are the easiest product to sample ever.  Both Yaoi and Anime traveled regardless of how well I blotted them or let them dry; they stuck to every surface they came into contact with, so every time I pressed my lips, or ate or drank anything, they would restamp outside my lip line, and faded to nothing pretty quick.  Scrubbing and treating my lips beforehand made no difference.

Sounds about right. As one of the models for Anime likes to say, with OCC you can suck dick in a hurricane and not have to worry about the lip tar coming off.

#381 | Back to Top08-05-2014 04:53:58 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Jacrad wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I gave a couple of shades of OCC Lip Tars another try (Anime, Rx, Pool Boy and Yaoi) because they are the easiest product to sample ever.  Both Yaoi and Anime traveled regardless of how well I blotted them or let them dry; they stuck to every surface they came into contact with, so every time I pressed my lips, or ate or drank anything, they would restamp outside my lip line, and faded to nothing pretty quick.  Scrubbing and treating my lips beforehand made no difference.

Sounds about right. As one of the models for Anime likes to say, with OCC you can suck dick in a hurricane and not have to worry about the lip tar coming off.

I am slightly confused.  Anime had terrible wear time.

#382 | Back to Top08-07-2014 01:02:17 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Everybody seems to be on a lip craze lately! Still OCC tar free, but I did get the Bite Agave lip mask last week when my bestie was visiting. Spoiler: it's awesome. To preface, I woke up last wednesday or thursday with the most painfully chapped lips I've ever had. I don't know what the hell happened, but my mouth was disgusting; dry, painful and bleeding slightly. I still use the Dr Smith's regularly, and I have an EOS balm here at work (which I don't like as much actually), so... what the fuck?! My bestie suggested it might be the heat, but... idk, I've never had an issue with it before, not like this.

So anyway, the lip mask is amazing. I actually applied it right after leaving Sephora, and it started working right away -instant soothing sensations, and a couple hours later my lips were noticeably softer. They're still drier than I'm used to, but they're not as bad as they were. I use it over night, and during the day just keep using the Dr Smiths. I haven't exfoliated my lips in a few days, but I probably will tonight, so we'll see how that affects everything. I haven't worn a gloss or anything other color over the top either, which sorts of sucks since I'd just gotten the deluxe sample of this Givenchy lippie as a point perk. The color is lovely, and the texture is a dream -at least, so swatching leads me to believe. Since I've not gotten to actually wear it, I have no idea what the wear time is like. Sigh.

I've also started paying more attention to my hair, probably because I have so much less of it now. I'm going to be looking into a color safe, sulfate free I think -I've actually got a regular stylist whom I like and trust, so I want to get my hair colored. No idea what color tho -I'm half tempted to just tell her to do whatever she wants. I know it'll look good. But anyway, argan oil. Does some nice things. I don't shampoo my hair often -maybe once a week- and when I do, I work in some of the oil, otherwise my shampoo has pulled out so much natural oil that my hair is a giant poof. Also, cute headbands? SO MANY.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#383 | Back to Top08-11-2014 10:13:54 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

MissMocha wrote:

Everybody seems to be on a lip craze lately!

I think it's because we're getting back to weird lip colors being available again, and companies keep experimenting with different formulas.

I've also started paying more attention to my hair, probably because I have so much less of it now. I'm going to be looking into a color safe, sulfate free I think -I've actually got a regular stylist whom I like and trust, so I want to get my hair colored. No idea what color tho -I'm half tempted to just tell her to do whatever she wants. I know it'll look good. But anyway, argan oil. Does some nice things. I don't shampoo my hair often -maybe once a week- and when I do, I work in some of the oil, otherwise my shampoo has pulled out so much natural oil that my hair is a giant poof. Also, cute headbands? SO MANY.

What are your thoughts on co-washing?

#384 | Back to Top08-11-2014 12:39:12 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Raven Nightshade wrote:

What are your thoughts on co-washing?

You know, I tried it a few years back and absolutely hated the shit out of it. It's entirely possible though, that I wasn't using a good enough conditioner, or that I didn't give it enough time to even out, but my results were pretty bad. My hair is fairly oily naturally, and co-washing felt like it made it greasier faster. My hair's normal oil production gives me great 2nd day-7th/8th day hair (after that I look like a Snape-ette), but the co-washing felt like it sped up the process so that I had day 4 or 5 hair on day 2.

So while I might consider trying it again, now that I know a bit more about hair care, I'm skeptical that I'll get results. I just don't think I have the hair type that would benefit from it. I do have anecdotal evidence that co-washing works very well, if it's something you're considering -a couple of my co-workers swear by it. It's worth noting they -and the girl that got me to try it way back when- all  have coarser, kinkier hair than I do.

#385 | Back to Top08-11-2014 03:45:21 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm one of those people with coarser and kinkier hair than you, so it works well for me as my hair never gets greasy. I've been doing it for about 8 years now with cheap shit from wherever: Suave, Tressemme, whatever looks interesting at Dollar Tree.

There are tons of sulfate-free shampoo out there, so I think you'll do fine. If you still think it's still drying you out, try diluting it. I know a lot of people who can't  co-wash for the same reason, so they just do that (a.k.a. low-poo) instead.

#386 | Back to Top08-16-2014 04:37:06 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Raven Nightshade wrote:

MissMocha wrote:

Everybody seems to be on a lip craze lately!

I think it's because we're getting back to weird lip colors being available again, and companies keep experimenting with different formulas.

I think it may also have to do with the current recession.  During economic downs, make-up and clothing tends to get more colorful and flashy.  And what's a cheap, easily color-packing product?  Lip products are booming because there is a demand for wider shade ranges (whereas eyeshadows typically always have a large shade range).  A punch of color on the lips is the easiest, and typically the cheapest way to change the tone of any look. 

Nuetral eyes + black lip= goth

+ Biege, peach or pale pink= natural; girl next door
+electric neons and bubblegum pink= party
+browns, mauve= professional
+red or deep wines= sultry, sexy

-Also, the fuck is with all the hype over the Maybelline nudes pallete?  It's not, as so many are claiming, "the first drugstore pallete" by a country mile (WnW Color Icon, Sonia Kashuk, NYX, ELF and Pixi palletes, etc.) and it is just a bunch of boring nudes after the summer of a million nude palletes. 

-And theBalm needs to pump out some new products come on.

-I've been taking a cosmetic bag with me on my overnight shifts.  They are ten hours long and about 30 minutes before we wake the clients up for hygiene I use the large mirror by my little area (we cannot leave them unsupervised, so no bathroom breaks unless someone will take my spot) to quickly blot my face, add a bit of under eye concealor, light coverage powder, peach eyeliner on the waterline, mascara, a very sheer blush (sometimes I switch it out for a low-key bronzer) and some clear lip balm.  It helps me feel and look a bit less like I've been doing laundry and sleep checks for 8 hours and gives me something to occupy even a little bit of my time.  We have to do whatever we can to stay awake while maintaining supervision and quiet, and there is no wifi.

It's like, if I look awake, I feel a tad bit more awake.

#387 | Back to Top08-19-2014 09:50:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I think it may also have to do with the current recession.  During economic downs, make-up and clothing tends to get more colorful and flashy.  And what's a cheap, easily color-packing product?  Lip products are booming because there is a demand for wider shade ranges (whereas eyeshadows typically always have a large shade range).  A punch of color on the lips is the easiest, and typically the cheapest way to change the tone of any look.

That's really fascinating! Is there any research or theory behind this? It does intuitively make sense, but I can't quite parse out all of why.

BTW. THIS IS A THING. We're getting. I kind of wish there were more warm tones, but it does make sense for them to be mostly cool, SKU is kind of a cool palette.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#388 | Back to Top08-29-2014 07:24:57 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So we've decided to no longer buy face scrubs of any kind, and make our own. This is because this is so stupidly easy and fun that paying 10bux for someone else to do it seems like a grand waste. But this round? Ground rice (from cleaning my coffee grinder), oatmeal (because duh), and vanilla pods (you know, the shell left after you scrape the seeds...recycling!) This was mixed in with buttermilk and honey, and drops of black pepper, clove, and cassia essential oils were added. It smells delicious. cool

Next round will use ground papaya seeds. You know, from the last time I had a papaya. A lot of things that are usually garbage seem to be awesome for masks. The last one I made had ground avocado pits.

#389 | Back to Top09-01-2014 10:02:19 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I totally believe in making your own stuff when you can. I've got a sugar scrub sitting in a pint jar of what used to be gelato on my bathroom shelf. Leaves me as smooth as a baby's butt afterwards, but it makes a damn mess in the process.

In other news, the Kat von D lipsticks have been an endless parade of disappointment. The more mainstream colors do okay, but the more interesting colors are utter shit. Just go through Temptalia's Kat von D tag to see what I mean.

EDIT: Poe is, like, the one good weird color of the lot.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that I bought the mixing/starter kit from OCC. It's a $30 set where you get a smaller-sized Tarred(black), Feathered(white), NSFW(red), Rx(blue), and Traffic(yellow). And because it was my birthday month, I got a free sample of lipstick and mascara from Make Up For Ever. They also threw in a super pink lipgloss because Sephora's cool like that.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-01-2014 10:06:46 PM)

#390 | Back to Top09-02-2014 01:33:16 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I totally believe in making your own stuff when you can. I've got a sugar scrub sitting in a pint jar of what used to be gelato on my bathroom shelf. Leaves me as smooth as a baby's butt afterwards, but it makes a damn mess in the process.

I would do this if I wasn't already preoccupied with drinking the Lush kool-aid.  Their bathbombs and soaps leave my skin soft without the need for scrubbies (and when I do use exfoliators and scrubs, I use the kind designed to target acne because waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah).  Actually, at some point I should leave reviews of the stuff I have tried from them, as there have been a few disappointments. 

In other news, the Kat von D lipsticks have been an endless parade of disappointment. The more mainstream colors do okay, but the more interesting colors are utter shit. Just go through Temptalia's Kat von D tag to see what I mean.

Fucking preach.  All the colors I want to try end up being shit.  At least they also sell out so quickly I have the chance to have second thoughts before I buy? But that means a lot of unsatisfied customers.

I just went and ordered a stupid amount of product from Sephora's website now that I have my loans and my jobs are deciding to pay me in paychecks.  I really, REALLY want to splurge even more on NARS stuff, because they make eyeshadow duos whose shades sing to me so sweetly, and maybe try a MAC prolongwear concealor since I need a new liquid under eye concealor for mornings after an overnight when I need to go into the office but don't have the spirit for full-foundation-face but have JESUS CHRIST UNDEREYES OF DOOM.

Like bruising.  Shaped as an undereye.  So so bad. 

The thing is, doh, that NARS is fuckass expensive and I rather despise MAC as a company.  AKA: Queens of shitty customer service (both at their service counters and online), overhype and unwarranted elitism.

#391 | Back to Top09-02-2014 08:23:06 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm on mobile, otherwise I would write more, but man...FUCK the NARS duos. I used some of their shadows a couple weekends ago, visiting a friend and I was really surprised at how they were. They weren't like... they weren't awful, but I have better ones that I paid less for. She had their new Narssissit or however they're incorrectly spelling it. IDK, I hope I'm not raining on your parade or anything, and that you have a better experience if you got them.

That said.... the BareMinerals Ready eyeshadows are made of unicorn spit and angel farts. Smooth, impeccable application and pigment and fantastic staying power. Plus I think they pair good colors in the duos. I'm at the point where I'm actually considering trading or selling everything that isn't my KVD Ladybird and BareMinerals palettes.

#392 | Back to Top09-02-2014 09:34:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I rather despise MAC as a company.  AKA: Queens of shitty customer service (both at their service counters and online), overhype and unwarranted elitism.

I used to love MAC, and they are what opened me up to the whole wearing of makeup in the first place. For that, they have my thanks, but holy crap yes, I swear they weren't always that bad, but I can't remember the last time I had a positive experience in their stores. We were hounded for the entire time we were in the MAC in Vegas, and ignored for about 15 minutes when we had literally armfuls of merch at the counter. We left without our goods. And last time I bought a lipstick there, it was a limited matte of a red I can't recall the name of. They sent me home with a different red matte, which makes me think they would think I couldn't tell, because when I asked to get the right one the next day they said they'd been totally sold out that whole time, so I couldn't have tried to buy that! SERIOUSLY????

Fume. Now I have to find a new concealer for my under eye blackness when this stuff is used up. Recommendations?

As for the BareMinerals, I got a sample of that stuff in an Ipsy bag...and it's truth. The colors I got were pretty generic purple and pink, but now that I think of it, those fuckers do survive 12 hour shifts of sweat and misery, during which I sometimes even work out by doing stairs for half an hour. So yeah, good shit. Generally the quality of shadows isn't as vital for me because I never need them to last longer than dinner. I'm starting to wear them to work though, which makes me very aware of how fast that stuff gets into creases and nowhere else. emot-mad

#393 | Back to Top09-04-2014 09:23:06 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

MOCHARAIN wrote:

I'm on mobile, otherwise I would write more, but man...FUCK the NARS duos. I used some of their shadows a couple weekends ago, visiting a friend and I was really surprised at how they were. They weren't like... they weren't awful, but I have better ones that I paid less for. She had their new Narssissit or however they're incorrectly spelling it. IDK, I hope I'm not raining on your parade or anything, and that you have a better experience if you got them.

I think if the pricepoint were not so assclenchingly high the quality wouldn't stand out as subpar.  I have tried and liked them, mostly for the colors, but there is no quality eyeshadow that will make me feel 100% satisfied with a purchase when it is $35 for a duo, unless it is from a genuine luxury brand with damn good packaging that makes me feel fancy as fuck.  I won't touch the bigger palletes from them, though.  Boring colors!   

That said.... the BareMinerals Ready eyeshadows are made of unicorn spit and angel farts. Smooth, impeccable application and pigment and fantastic staying power. Plus I think they pair good colors in the duos. I'm at the point where I'm actually considering trading or selling everything that isn't my KVD Ladybird and BareMinerals palettes.

I hear nothing but good of BareMinerals Ready eyeshadows, but their shades don't really stand out or grab me.  I try to keep an eye on any limited editions, though, since the colors in them seem to be bolder.

Giovanna wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I rather despise MAC as a company.  AKA: Queens of shitty customer service (both at their service counters and online), overhype and unwarranted elitism.

I used to love MAC, and they are what opened me up to the whole wearing of makeup in the first place. For that, they have my thanks, but holy crap yes, I swear they weren't always that bad, but I can't remember the last time I had a positive experience in their stores. We were hounded for the entire time we were in the MAC in Vegas, and ignored for about 15 minutes when we had literally armfuls of merch at the counter. We left without our goods. And last time I bought a lipstick there, it was a limited matte of a red I can't recall the name of. They sent me home with a different red matte, which makes me think they would think I couldn't tell, because when I asked to get the right one the next day they said they'd been totally sold out that whole time, so I couldn't have tried to buy that! SERIOUSLY????

I have NEVAR had a good customer experience at one of their counters or stores.  I am always, always, always completely ignored.  I have been holding product in my hands or clearly standing next to a display, looking curious, and nadda.  I am a butt.  If I feel ignored I don't buy, which really is their loss because I BUY BIG TIME.  And usually, I can tell who it is I am ignored for: skinny blonde teenagers.  Maybe it is because they think teenage girls are stupid and more easily sold to, or that they are spoiled and will whine to their mommies for cash, or just that pretty white women are who they want their brand and their image associated with, but it fucking annoys me regardless. 

Have fun giving that girl a 45 minute full face make-over so she'll purchase a single lipstick. :/

On top of that they have ridiculous online customer service, including frequent shipping mishaps (that they are loathe to fix or recognize) and constantly under-stocking products.  They release collections with lazy packaging they charge you extra for or that are padded with products already in the main line, and are often the same color family over and over again.

Check out the new MAC Rocky Horror Collection.  The special packaging is just a screen print over black (where's the LACE, FEATHER BOAS and PANTYHOSE prints GODDAMNIT) and while the colors chosen, for once, appear to reflect the content, they still appear boring because these are the same shades they chose for most of their collections.  It was only a matter of time before a chosen theme matched the colors they always pick.  At least they included glittery pigments, a fair-toned sculpting product and that berry blush.  The only things I am even remotely interested in. 

wrote:

Fume. Now I have to find a new concealer for my under eye blackness when this stuff is used up. Recommendations?

I am going to try out the Clinique under-eye correcter and the NARS concealor, but so far drugstore concealers keep missing the actual coverage mark (ignore the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer hype) and the only thing I have found to at least pack on that is Benefit's Erase Paste (which loses points because it is a potted product that is difficult to get your fingers into, so applying on the go is not easy.)

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-04-2014 09:30:13 AM)

#394 | Back to Top09-04-2014 10:00:45 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

OitL wrote:

NARS and Bare Minerals

I get ya'. BareMinerals tends to do the "respectable" colors, not the more wild and artistic ones. Luckily, I thrive in this atmosphere, as I am boring as hale. As for NARS, I think I agree with you. The shadows weren't bad in and of themselves, they just... they're so expensive! That palette was like a hundred bucks, and for that kind of money, I expect something fantastic. I was talking to someone about the Ariel palettes, the one from Sephora last year and the one from e.l.f. this year. I passed on the Sephora one because it didn't meet my expectation of a $50 palette, but I got the e.l.f. one because it met the expectations of a $10 one. That's sort of how I feel about NARS.

Have you seen the new MUFE Artist's Eyeshadows? It's 250 for their big 30 pan launch pallete, but they're all the same size as singles which are about 20 bucks individually, so that's like... less than half price, yeah? I won't get it, but they sell everything in the palette as singles, and i'm reeeeeeeeeally eyeing some of the shades. I haven't seen a single negative review so far -plus, they've got some SugarPill worthy selection in their vivids. Maybe you'll find something you dig?

As for MAC, I've never really been a a super fan, outside of two eyeshadow pots that I have had for literally, a decade. For a long time it was because I didn't really buy expensive makeup, and now, more recently, it's because the selection at lower price points has really increased exponentially -it can meet and in some cases exceed the variety that MAC used to have cornered.

#395 | Back to Top09-04-2014 12:53:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

MissMocha wrote:

Have you seen the new MUFE Artist's Eyeshadows? It's 250 for their big 30 pan launch pallete, but they're all the same size as singles which are about 20 bucks individually, so that's like... less than half price, yeah? I won't get it, but they sell everything in the palette as singles, and i'm reeeeeeeeeally eyeing some of the shades. I haven't seen a single negative review so far -plus, they've got some SugarPill worthy selection in their vivids. Maybe you'll find something you dig?

Definitely loving some of the shades, and like that MUFE released a shitton of different finishes, and not just colors.  My color preferences tend to be... unique wearable?  Like, not "oh look a primary color" but also not "oh look a brown" but something inbetween, where intense and unique shades have been mixed in with a bit of earthiness or pastel.  Like golden greens, gunmetals and pewter, sable-purples and blue-grays.

So, for preferred eyeshadow color ranges I tend to really like NARS and, oddly, Clinique.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-04-2014 12:58:51 PM)

#396 | Back to Top09-05-2014 04:48:30 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Double Post for update (yes very important yes) on the quality of the NARS shadow dou I purchased in Brousse.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt327/palateaffair/DSCN9800copy.jpg

At first I was putting it on and was like OH NO THE MOCHA WARNED MEH.  But then I experimented (very scientifically, scientists were involved) with different brush types and shapes, wet and dry application and application... methods?  And my results were promising.

NOTES:
-Use a duofiber shadow brush, such as the real techniques brushes.  You need both the stiffness/structure of the underbristles to pick up the thick, clingy product but the soft, dense outer bristles to spread and blend it evenly on the eye.  My Elf essential and studio, as well as my clinique brushes did jack as fuck.  They weren't actually managing to pick up the product.
-If applied dry, use a heavy swipe with a medium sized, short bristled duo fiber brush.  If applying wet, dab and then smooth with a C shaped brush; blend edges when dry.
-If worn without a primer, it will last around 6 hours and then crease like fuck.

I now have my perfect "casual resting bitchface" eyeshadow duo, no liner required to make people not talk to me.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-06-2014 06:25:33 PM)

#397 | Back to Top09-08-2014 07:57:29 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Yay! Glad you're feeling so positive about your purchase! I was using my e.l.f. Studio C brush (my fave cheapie) so reading your review, that could definitely be a contributing factor to my poor experience.

So... has anyone seen the two big holiday releases around the corner? The LORAC MegaPro and the Urban Decay Vice 3? I'm not at all tempted by the Vice -too much sparkle, and I think the packaging is actually kind of ugly- but the LORAC one... it looks mighty fine. Apparently there are only 4 repeats, all from the first Pro palette. Very intrigued! Considering tho, that it's basically the size of two Pro Palettes stuck together, I can't imagine it'll clock in under $85-100.

#398 | Back to Top09-08-2014 04:56:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

It may just be what looks to be some kind of filter over the promotional image, but the Lorac MegaPro just looks like too much cranberry and blue for me.  I would rather have both the pro palletes (plus the two freebies you get with their purchase).  I was kinda hoping when you mentioned it that it was a full face pallete, since I really like a lot of their Pro line products.

#399 | Back to Top09-09-2014 10:32:00 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Didn't consider the freebies that come with the Pro's! You're right then, buying the two individually might make more sense. I'm curious to see it in person as well, because while I like the berries and browns, I'm concerned that there seem to be two entire columns of white variants. I like highlight shades and use them for a lot of things, but...  yeah. I'm hoping they've just maxed out the exposure or something. 

I'm really hoping we start to see more images for fall and holiday releases soon! I'm curious to see what this year's Laura Mercier Artist's palette will be, as well as for the KVD and BareMinerals releases. Not to mention that holidays are the season of minis!

I really love mini everythings and don't know why I am not building dollhouses for a hobby.

#400 | Back to Top09-19-2014 11:34:05 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hey babes, Kevyn Aucoin will be on Hautelook Monday starting at 8am.

emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

Board footer