This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top08-20-2008 05:20:32 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Re: The Manga Thread

Mylene wrote:

I read the first two volumes of Oh! My Goddess this weekend.  The art really surprised me, as I didn't realize the anime had varied so much from the manga in the character designs.  Belldandy looks kind of weird, and Keiichi looks kind of chunky.  Still, it's quite funny, and it seems Belldandy (at least currently) has a bit more spunk than she did in the OAV (can't remember the movie and haven't seen the television series yet.)

The art really has evolved over the years. If you were to look at the more recent volumes, they are closer to the designs you'd find in the anime/movie. What I find interesting about this manga series is that it's not necessary to read every single volume out there, though there are key volumes that are important. It's one of those rare instances where I don't mind that there's no end in sight. It would seem unnatural if it did. Next week, Ah! Megami-sama will celebrate its 20th year anniversary (August 25, 2008).

#102 | Back to Top08-20-2008 05:21:47 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I haven't read the manga yet, but the Wiki points out that there's been an evolution in the character design between each version. I have a poster from the OAV on my wall, and I can see the changes from there to the current series.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (08-20-2008 05:22:45 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#103 | Back to Top08-20-2008 10:29:39 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

I recently purchased the complete manga set ( 2 books ) of Oniisama e.
Vintage art is always beautifully nostalgic, and I can't get enough of Rei Asaka.

Lucky! I assume it's in Japanese since as far as I know, they've never published it in our part of the world...
Rei was my favourite in the anime. etc-love

I'm currently re-reading Claymore. I love the art so much.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#104 | Back to Top08-21-2008 12:04:36 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Maarika wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Vintage art is always beautifully nostalgic, and I can't get enough of Rei Asaka.

Lucky! I assume it's in Japanese since as far as I know, they've never published it in our part of the world...

Yes, it's in Japanese; all my manga titles are. *smiles* I prefer the original. etc-love
Rei Asaka is such a tragic and unforgettable character; I love her to bits. etc-love

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#105 | Back to Top08-21-2008 06:44:35 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Yes, it's in Japanese; all my manga titles are. *smiles* I prefer the original. etc-love
Rei Asaka is such a tragic and unforgettable character; I love her to bits. etc-love

I agree. She's awesome! And, DAMN WHAT HAPPENED TO HER!! emot-gonk
I was actually hoping that Ikeda would devote one or maybe two chapters to some serious fluffy Rei/Misono moments!!! emot-gonkemot-gonk The date and everything!!

Bouquets are EVIL! Their DANCE IN THE WIND is evil!!! emot-mad

#106 | Back to Top08-21-2008 08:04:52 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Seitokaichou wrote:

I am so jealous. emot-biggrin Could you by any chance point me to any direction where I would be able to get those myself?

#107 | Back to Top08-21-2008 11:53:45 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

So, Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom Pink (translated by Lililicious and easily torrent-able at the moment from at least three sources) is really really cute and fun.  It's a collection of short stories circling around the same school and the various lesbians there, and things like death are treated with less significance or impact than the possibility of not seeing your crush for a whole summer!

And the Oh! My Goddess talk (and anniversary) have prompted me to pull out my CD-o-scans and indulge soon, I think.  If Keichi's sister and various other characters weren't conscious of how protracted and insanely nonprogressive the main relationship has been, I think I'd have lost interest fairly quickly, but because it's clearly a choice, it's just so cute!  Cute dopey psychosis!  Also, because the manga spawned on the greatest games ever (that thing where you/Skuld smack eight-legged rabbits with a hammer all day and night), I give it lots of leeway.

Anyway, both of the above are good rainy day manga, so those who haven't checked them out, y'know, should and stuff.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#108 | Back to Top08-22-2008 03:44:57 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Hiraku wrote:

I was actually hoping that Ikeda would devote one or maybe two chapters to some serious fluffy Rei/Misono moments!!! emot-gonkemot-gonk The date and everything!!

*chuckles irl* I was hoping the same thing. *admires that pair*

Arki wrote:

I am so jealous. emot-biggrin Could you by any chance point me to any direction where I would be able to get those myself?

I bought mine from Kinokuniya, but you can also purchase the the complete set of Oniisama e from Yesasia. *smiles* Hope that helps!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#109 | Back to Top08-24-2008 11:21:11 AM

Himeohji Kagaya
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Onii-sama E is only two volumes long, like Kannamiko?  oh, and i like DNAngel too, though i've only read the first seven volumes...and seen the first four episodes...

#110 | Back to Top08-24-2008 06:32:47 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Himeohji Kagaya wrote:

Onii-sama E is only two volumes long, like Kannamiko?

The complete set by Chuko Comics ( Volume 1 + Volume 2 & Volume 3 + Volume 4 ) is the 2002 compiled version; the first release was a set of 4 books by Flower Comics. *smiles*

#111 | Back to Top08-26-2008 07:40:30 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Razara wrote:

Oh, poor Akito, you've been the victim of an anime created before the manga was finished, and thus, they came up with an ending that did your character no justice whatsoever.

quoted for bitter, bitter truth.

#112 | Back to Top08-27-2008 02:30:50 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Silver Diamond?

It's so pretty. etc-love

#113 | Back to Top08-31-2008 03:45:20 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Recently finished all of Full Moon wo Sagashite. It was better than I was expecting. I'm glad I read it.

Also, I'm caught up through chapter 77 of NANA. Oh, my breaking heart.

#114 | Back to Top09-03-2008 01:49:03 PM

Himeohji Kagaya
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

etc-loveetc-loveetc-love the first volume of Diabolo.  apparently there are only three, though...it seems kind of obscure, sadly.

#115 | Back to Top09-04-2008 05:47:03 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Finished the third volume of +Anima etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love It's so cute and fun to read.

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#116 | Back to Top09-04-2008 06:19:01 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I read Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis today.  Can't say I particularly liked it, unfortunately.  It was just a bit too slapstick for me to enjoy.  Definitely no comparison to Buddha, that's for sure. emot-frown

#117 | Back to Top11-03-2008 01:04:22 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Strawberry Shake Sweet is quite possibly my favourite yuri manga ever. etc-love It's so cute and funny. I haven't come across anything so hilarious since Azumanga Daioh. Gah, someone license this please!
Also, I ordered Hayate x Blade (from the same author) that was published just recently. I don't know much about it but I suppose it'll be quite fun.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#118 | Back to Top11-04-2008 05:29:30 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I'm a little embarassed to say I've been on a shonen-ai kick recently and one of my new favorite titles is Dany & Dany's The Lily and The Rose. It's only one volume, but the story's beautifully dramatic.  It's a story of forbidden love and revenge in Revolutionary Era France.  Plus, you actually see a Christian character in a yaoi romance!

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#119 | Back to Top11-05-2008 04:40:10 PM

Vesus
Touga Topper

Lately, I picked a manga on line (no manga stores here, only by importation and it takes the money of 2 or 3 months for volume), dunno if someone will like it, is seinen

20th century boys

info by manga updates

Still lurking... Your books will be mine... and your papers... and thesis... and ice cream... school-devil

#120 | Back to Top11-07-2008 08:15:52 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

20th Century Boys is a series I'm really wanting to read eventually.  It just sounds fantastic. 

As for me, I started reading With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child by Tobe Keiko.  Yeah, not the normal manga fare is it?  Still, it has lovely art (it's my kind of style, shoujo and yet simple) and I'm finding the information in it quite useful.  It's fiction, but it's based on research and interviews of several families with autistic children in Japan.

#121 | Back to Top11-07-2008 08:27:43 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Mylene wrote:

20th Century Boys is a series I'm really wanting to read eventually.  It just sounds fantastic.

I think I see an archive of that in onemanga.com, and I think there's a 21st Century Boys.

EDIT: There is

Last edited by Hiraku (11-07-2008 08:27:56 PM)

#122 | Back to Top11-08-2008 05:57:15 PM

Vesus
Touga Topper

21st century boys is a two volume that explain some things left from 20th century boys, but not all emot-keke.

mangas currently reading (please don't kill me)

20th and 21st century boys (finished)
Bitter Virgin (Finished)
Bleach
Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
Xxx Holic

Those are the magas I read the last month

Still lurking... Your books will be mine... and your papers... and thesis... and ice cream... school-devil

#123 | Back to Top11-08-2008 08:30:53 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I havent bought too many manga in the last few months because I just haven't had the cash to spare but I did decide to spurge on a paperback of "The Order of the Stick: War and XP", I just have to wait to get the earlier editions.

#124 | Back to Top11-08-2008 09:22:01 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Vesus wrote:

21st century boys is a two volume that explain some things left from 20th century boys, but not all emot-keke.

mangas currently reading (please don't kill me)

20th and 21st century boys (finished)
Bitter Virgin (Finished)
Bleach
Hunter x Hunter
Naruto
Xxx Holic

Those are the magas I read the last month

Out of curiosity, what is 20th century boys about? I saw it on onemanga.com, saw a chapter of it, and... not sure if I want to actually read through it because it looked kind of... depressing and grave

#125 | Back to Top11-08-2008 10:01:35 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

I'm a little embarassed to say I've been on a shonen-ai kick recently and one of my new favorite titles is Dany & Dany's The Lily and The Rose. It's only one volume, but the story's beautifully dramatic.  It's a story of forbidden love and revenge in Revolutionary Era France.  Plus, you actually see a Christian character in a yaoi romance!

Out of curiosity, where did you snag that? I'm curious to see if that's the Dany and Dany who used to do the most gorgeous Interview With The Vampire fanart about eight or nine years ago. etc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

Board footer