This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top02-13-2008 10:17:40 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Re: ~ I Wonder, I Wonder! ~

Screw you guys for your amazing answers.

That is all.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#77 | Back to Top02-14-2008 09:57:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I want to hear Anthy's best answer to the question "Are you a virgin?  Why or why not?"

Well, that depends on what counts. I've never had sex with a human being.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#78 | Back to Top02-15-2008 04:25:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All right!  Submission phase closed!  Please send me your votes on whose answer is best.  (I already have BioKraze's vote.)  Don't vote for yourself.  In a couple days we'll end the voting phase and finally have a winner!

#79 | Back to Top02-16-2008 09:05:43 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Gah, this is what I get when my computer hits the dust for a few days. I think it was the 'no such thing' phrase that got me guessed. I'm not surprised someone guessed Mikage, though-I firstly was thinking of him when I started typing it up! But when I got to the third question, I looked over it, and realized that it was Juri talking, not Mikage.

That's what I get for being the sort of writer who lives with her characters.school-eng101

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#80 | Back to Top02-16-2008 11:08:10 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Feel free to send your vote even though you didn't submit an answer, Anthiena!  emot-smile

#81 | Back to Top02-16-2008 11:40:12 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And the votes are in!  Here are the results.

Continuing the "closely fought" aspect of this round, every single one of you got at least one vote!  But only one of you got two votes.  Giovanna is the winner of this grueling round of IWIW!  This makes her the first to win twice.  Congratulations, Gio!  And an honorable mention to Anthiena, whose answers as Juri seemed especially thoughtful and lyrical.

Given how long it took to get players this time around -- and how many spectators we had who weren't really interested in playing -- it may be a while before we resurrect IWIW.  But it will rise again.  I wonder, I wonder, I wonder when it will be!

#82 | Back to Top02-16-2008 03:42:38 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Damn and blast. My next brilliant submission will have to wait. emot-mad

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#83 | Back to Top02-17-2008 01:12:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Congratulations, Gio!

Nothing wins the day quite like dumping on Akio. school-eng101

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#84 | Back to Top05-03-2008 02:46:50 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

*shamelessly bumps the thread*
Will there be another round?

#85 | Back to Top05-03-2008 04:26:50 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yeah, I think it's time for Round Six!  I know Bio has been wanting to play again, too.  I encourage everyone -- old players, new players -- to join in emot-smile

The rules, once again: Below are three interview questions.  Pick a character from Utena and PM me to tell me who you've chosen.  Then post your character's answers to the three interview questions to the thread, without stating outright who you are or including dead giveaways like your hair color.  When we have enough entries, I'll close the contest and you'll send me your guesses about which posters are RPing which characters.  You get one point for each person you guess correctly, and one point for each person who guesses you correctly.

And the interview questions!

What's the farthest you've ever been from Tokyo?  Did you have fun there?

Do you like playing Monopoly?

Do you have an online journal or blog?  Why or why not?

Good luck!

#86 | Back to Top05-03-2008 05:25:30 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Oh, it's hard to say exactly. I've been so many places after all...all had their various charms, and each place was special to me in it's way, but I was always a bit preoccupied with other things.

I do! I can't really concentrate hard enough to follow the game, but the pieces are so much fun!

Why yes! I have a dear friend with whom I exchange regular posts. Well, to be fair, I don't actually write that much, usually just recipes or cleaning tips.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#87 | Back to Top05-03-2008 10:01:19 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

In some senses, I've been to the deepest realms of space and back... But really, have I ever anywhere at all? Well, one place. Not exactly a physical one. I was a part in a play, you see. I'd say it was fun while it lasted.

Not in the traditional manner, no. I'm not one for carrying out things myself. I'd much rather play on a team and be advisor for a more suitable frontman. The game itself is an enjoyable past time, though, I suppose. There are other things I would prefer.

I'm afraid I don't. There's no need for the world to notice me and I'd much rather they didn't. Besides, my feelings and the events in my life aren't really my own, not mine to share with those that don't need to hear them.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#88 | Back to Top05-03-2008 10:30:22 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

What's the farthest you've been from Tokyo? Did you have fun there?

"I've been to many places across the world, all on business. I can't say it wasn't entirely amusing, but it has been very informative. In my profession, you must be at the height of your ability to succeed with your associates."

"I never particularly cared for the game, even as a teenager. Something about the intense competition drives me off from the more entertaining aspects of it. I won't, however, be adverse to playing a quick round or two on a computer."

Do you have an online journal or blong? Why or why not?

"Yes, I do. I have two, actually. One is for my personal life, the other for my professional work. My professional one holds the notes and bits and pieces I've learned from my work in the field, to share with my colleagues across the globe."

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#89 | Back to Top05-04-2008 03:48:55 AM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

I would love to go see the world someday but unfortunately, up until now, I didn't even have the chance to discover my own country just yet. I want to catch up on all these things someday.

Board games are for infants. I always have a full schedule after all, and in those rare moments of freetime, nobody I consider suitable is around to play with me anyway.

No, I don't. Maybe it is considered old fashioned but I like to keep my secrets safe within a notebook, handwritten.

Last edited by DeepSubmerge (05-04-2008 03:49:34 AM)

#90 | Back to Top05-04-2008 11:16:26 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

DeepSubmerge, I hate to do this, especially to a new member who I want to welcome, but I need to call for a new entry from you.  Your answer to the last question qualifies as a "dead giveaway" -- it explicitly narrows the number of possibilities down to about two, which means that the game becomes more about Utena trivia and less about role-playing.  I love your answers to the other questions, though, and I hope you'll re-enter as another character!  etc-love

#91 | Back to Top05-04-2008 12:59:31 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

It's fine emot-smile
I already guessed it was too easy before I posted it. I'll think of something else and pm you what I've choosen. My guessings still count anyways, no?

#92 | Back to Top05-04-2008 01:04:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

DeepSubmerge wrote:

It's fine emot-smile
I already guessed it was too easy before I posted it. I'll think of something else and pm you what I've choosen. My guessings still count anyways, no?

Actually, I'd suggest you wait till I close entries before you guess emot-smile  That way, when new people enter, you don't have to send me more guesses.

I look forward to seeing your new entry!  poptart

#93 | Back to Top05-04-2008 01:41:50 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I've only ever gone left the country once, and it wasn't all that fun, I think I get homesick easy. I've been all over Japan, though, and there is plenty of fun stuff to do here.  Me and my friends have visited hotsprings, beaches, gone to baseball games and tasted some really, really exotic foods.  So many memories, so many reciepts!

I don't know.  Me and my friends used to play when we were younger, but we outgrew it pretty quick.  I was always good at organization and had some pretty decent math skills, too, so I was usually stuck playing the 'bank'.  The paper money was cute, and I know the role was important, but I just wanted to be the racecar..... but then again, everyone wants to be the racecar, I think.

Of course I have one, who doesn't?  In fact, I have two.  One for me and my real life friends, where I mostly just talk about my day, my crush, etc. etc, and a second one where I use a pseudonym.  It's mostly just me, venting, complaining and being a dork infront of my online friends, who can be so understanding when I really need it.

#94 | Back to Top05-04-2008 02:30:35 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

Back with the second try (as if you would get rid of me that fast. Pfft emot-tongue)

Most of my time I can be found at the campus or in the dormitory. I don't go too far because I am not allowed to travel on my own and I am told I need to study. Needless to say, I hate dealing with things like math or economics all day long, it is just boring me.
When I am not around, having days off, I love being at the beach or at a pool where I can fool around with my friends.

I totally love games you can play with a bunch of friends! It is always so much fun! But I must admit that I dislike Monopoly for one simple reason: I always end up loosing.
Seems like I don't have a hand for money yet.

I don't. I don't have a computer. Sometimes I think having an online blog would be terribly fun though.

Last edited by DeepSubmerge (05-04-2008 02:40:16 PM)

#95 | Back to Top05-04-2008 03:08:21 PM

Jellineck

I haven't really traveled much. That's kind of a privilege of the rich and the elite - my family spends enough getting me to Ohtori. One time, however, a friend did take me on a trip. It was pretty crazy.

Sure, but it's not my favorite board game. I like "Life" myself because it allows me to get married and have a really nice house and car, if I'm lucky. But since I really like doing stuff with my best friends, we're always playing new games with each other. Makes the days when we're not working a lot more fun.

Yes. I often feel that's the only time I really get to talk about myself. I don't know if anyone listens otherwise - not even my best friends. Sometimes I feel just as little inside as I am out.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#96 | Back to Top05-04-2008 03:48:45 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Jelli, please send me a PM about your role emot-smile  I need to see it so I can figure out whether the "little" comment in the last question qualifies as a giveaway.  There just aren't a lot of short characters in Utena.

#97 | Back to Top05-04-2008 05:55:58 PM

Jellineck

I'll send it to you via e-mail.

#98 | Back to Top05-04-2008 06:14:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Thank you, Jelli!

I think Jelli's choice of words is legitimate in this case (and after the round is over I'll explain why).

That's six entries!  I'll close the round in a day or so, so if anyone else wants to play, now's the time to enter!

#99 | Back to Top05-05-2008 08:37:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All right, folks!  It's looking like a tough round.  Let's close it up!

Please PM me your guesses about the identities of:

- Stormcrow
- NajiMinkin
- BioKraze
- OnlyInThisLight
- DeepSubmerge (her second entry only!)
- Jellineck

Guesses from spectators are welcome as always.  Good luck!

#100 | Back to Top05-06-2008 08:29:33 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All the votes are in already!  For the second straight round, we have a tie!  Who tied whom?  Read on!

Stormcrow led conventionally with a set of answers that was very innocent and feminine.  Creepily innocent and feminine, if you ask me.  She has trouble concentrating on Monopoly, but loves playing with the pieces?  I heard a Nanami and a Wakaba, but a majority of guessers -- Naji, Bio, DeepSubmerge, and spectator OnionPrince -- knew that only one character could be this eerily innocuous: Anthy.

NajiMinkin presented a different kind of poser.  Her answers were self-consciously philosophical and melancholy -- "my feelings and the events in my life aren't really my own."  She could've been Anthy in an honest moment, and two guessers thought she was.  Another guessed Akio, and a fourth went for B-ko.  But DeepSubmerge and OnionPrince saw through the illusion.  Naji was Mamiya!

BioKraze's answers were strikingly professional and detached, with a lot of emphasis on networking and a pronounced dislike of competition.  Answers were nearly unanimous about which character he was playing: three guessed Nemuro and two Mikage.  (One picked Juri -- a creative and strong answer, I think.)  All were wrong.  Bio was portraying the Guidance Counselor -- she of "then why are you wearing a boys' uniform?!?" fame.

I liked OnlyInThisLight's answers.  She radiated personality, but it was a quiet, even repressed personality.  This seemed like a character who felt like they had to hide who they were.  Most of our guessers agreed.  I heard Miki, Saionji, Tsuwabuki, and even Utena.  Only Stormcrow and Naji sussed out the truth: OnlyInThisLight portrayed Keiko.  The image of Keiko stuck being the banker instead of the racecar appeals to me emot-smile

DeepSubmerge took on a challenging role!  Her character clearly loved her friends and disliked school, and put forth a subtle childishness.  Three guessers picked Wakaba, two Utena, and one Shiori -- all good answers, but all wrong.  DeepSubmerge tried the underappreciated Mari, Tsuwabuki's little friend.  Her original entry, by the way, was Tsuwabuki.

IWIW veteran Jellineck also tried a challenging role this time.  Like OnlyInThisLight, Jelli's character sounds sociable but repressed, revealing herself only through her blog.  She's also explicit that she's short, on which more later.  I heard three Wakabas, which were close; an Aiko and a Keiko, which were closer; but only one right answer of Yuuko, from NajiMinkin.

A word on Jellineck's answers.  She erred closer to the line of "how much of a giveaway is too much" than I would have liked.  The comment about going on a crazy trip with a friend is borderline; any of the characters could have done that, but Yuuko is one of the few who we know did it.  The comment about being short would definitely be over the line except for one thing: as Jelli pointed out in email to me, it is really hard to differentiate Aiko from Yuuko without explicit reference to height, hairstyle, or some other "giveaway."  So it's okay this time, but don't make a habit of it!  emot-smile

So our final score is:

NajiMinkin (Mamiya): 5 - guessed Stormcrow, OnlyInThisLight, and Jelli; guessed by DeepSubmerge and Onion
Stormcrow (Anthy): 5 - guessed OnlyInThisLight; guessed by Naji, Bio, DeepSubmerge, and Onion
DeepSubmerge (Mari): 2 - guessed Stormcrow and Naji
OnlyInThisLight (Keiko): 2 - guessed by Stormcrow and Naji
BioKraze (Guidance Counselor): 1 - guessed Stormcrow
Jellineck (Yuuko): 1 - guessed by Naji
OnionPrince (spectator): 2 - guessed Stormcrow and Naji

Hence, we have a tie!  Naji, Stormcrow, congratulations.  For your tiebreaker, please post Kozue's best response to the following question:

Do you cut your own hair, or do you get someone else to do it?  How come?

After we have Naji's and Stormcrow's answers, the rest of the players will have 24 hours to PM me their votes on which answer is better.  In case of a further tie, the one who posts their answer first is the winner.

Till then!

Last edited by satyreyes (05-06-2008 08:30:52 PM)

Board footer