This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-31-2006 06:14:26 PM

Birgy23
Miki Molester
Website

Utena DVDs! Full Set! 40 bones! No Commentary?

Hey y'all, just thought I'd post because I noticed that the individual arcs for the DVDs sell at 40 bucks a pop, and that can get pretty expensive. I went to www.animearigato.com and if you look in the import sections under R there's the whole set of SKU for 36.98, I believe? There's all of the episodes, subtitled and everything, you just don't get any extras and stuff. But it's like, 80 dollars less than getting them all separate. *lol* It was the only way I was able to afford them myself. Anyway, if it helps someone, great! And they generally don't charge much in shipping.

#2 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:21:33 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Re: Utena DVDs! Full Set! 40 bones! No Commentary?

I hate to tell you this, but this is almost certainly a pirated edition - there is no way that a brand-new set of Utena could be so cheap otherwise. If this were a Japanese import, it would be MUCH more expensive (given that the four episode discs that cost us $30ish usually cost $40 to $50 in Japan) and would not contain English subs. In all likelihood, these are Hong Kong bootlegs - your money is going to Hong Kong pirates, not J.C. StAFF, Ikuhara, Saito, or anyone originally affiliated with the property.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#3 | Back to Top01-01-2007 01:15:25 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Speaking of probably pirated video clips....  I'm sure you guys have all probably found tons of stuff like this already, but it was news to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i6a-KjBkbSs

Like, three minutes from some version of an Utena musical i found on youtube. It's... special. Very.

In something marginally more related, I was able to find a pacakge deal on the utena DVD that came with all the arcs and the movie as well. It was a bit pricey, but altogether came in at less than the 120 dollars it sounds like you'd have to pay for all 3 arcs seperately (not to mention including the movie... which it turns out i didn't love, but i'm glad i got to see it). Maybe you can hunt around and find something like that. I'd give a link, but it's been awhile and I don't recall where I found this.

Last edited by Valeli (01-01-2007 01:18:11 AM)

#4 | Back to Top01-01-2007 08:30:45 AM

Birgy23
Miki Molester
Website

Oh damn... I was hoping they weren't pirated since in the domestic files they have all three arcs for said 40 bucks each... oh well, trust my naivety...Considering that I can't read Japanese and both the dvds and the case looks pretty authentic, it's probably saying "Eff you you illiterate and thank you for the money" *lol*

That'd be cool too, if you ever found that link. One of these days I'll be able to build up some sort of anime collection.... after I buy Dee Dee some shoes....

#5 | Back to Top01-01-2007 11:47:19 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I know you can get the individual sets fairly cheaply on DeepDiscountDVD.com, and they're the licensed, legal ones.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#6 | Back to Top01-01-2007 11:48:13 AM

silver moon
Wakaba Wrangler

I don't know if those are pirated, but you can find legal copies of each arc for about $40 at http://www.rightstuf.com.

Edit:  Actually, it's about $35/arc.

Last edited by silver moon (01-01-2007 11:49:43 AM)

Board footer