This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-08-2007 09:06:05 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

SKU fanfiction recommendations

So.. Lately, I have been reading some marvelous, drool-worthy SKU fanfics, and many of them made me think "<someone on the forum> would love that fic!". And they're just so awesome that I have to share them.

So, post any recommendations you have!

* Through the Wicked Winding Streets of My World by veleda_k @ LJ. Akio/Touga. I just finished reading this one, and I thought Yasha and Gio might also like it. Very hot.

* Little Girl Blue by bitterfic @ LJ. Pairings are very subtle and various; Juri/Kozue, Miki/Kozue, Akio/Kozue. Kozue-centric (but Juri POV) and after Anthy leaves Ohtori, where Miki is the new 'rose bride' and Kozue the new 'end of the world', so to speak.

* From the Ashes by veleda_k @ LJ. Juri/Shiori. Very, very good and very realistic to how these two could get together. I thought Razara and dollface would especially like this, since it is in Shiori's POV, and it's very in-character and sympathetic to her.

I have a lot more on in my memories, but most of them are drabbles.. I'll probably post some more later. emot-keke

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (07-08-2007 09:11:34 PM)

#2 | Back to Top07-08-2007 09:09:00 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Re: SKU fanfiction recommendations

Anything by Alan Harnum.

#3 | Back to Top07-08-2007 09:13:30 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

* Through the Wicked Winding Streets of My World by veleda_k @ LJ. Akio/Touga. I just finished reading this one, and I thought Yasha and Gio might also like it. Very hot.

I wanna steal the avatar on this page. etc-love Also totally gonna read this. Someone saw the music video!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top07-08-2007 09:15:36 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

The icon is by jiatra @ LJ. emot-keke She also made a matching Anthy one, which flashed the same picture of Anthy smiling over and over again, but with different moods.

#5 | Back to Top07-08-2007 10:55:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

The icon is by jiatra @ LJ. emot-keke She also made a matching Anthy one, which flashed the same picture of Anthy smiling over and over again, but with different moods.

etc-love It's everything I love about Akio in gif format. etc-love

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top07-08-2007 11:03:06 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

#7 | Back to Top07-09-2007 03:12:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well...let's state the obvious.

Go read Alithea's fanfics. (I blame you for my etc-love of Juri/Kozue!)

If you haven't read Archimage, go read it NOW.

And read Shanejayell's fics too.(Use the "sort by category" function, and stories 157-170 are all Utena fanfiction.  My top two are Arisugawa's Locket and Blood Soaked and Honor Bound.

Edited to add links.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (07-10-2007 04:56:48 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#8 | Back to Top08-17-2008 04:01:38 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Oh *innocent face* is that all? *clicks fingers* you ain't seen nothing yet,

I'll start off with:

Infection by Becka

Love And Memories by Knighttemplar

The Real Princess by Kanna Ophelia

Blackboard Messiah by Frau Eva

#9 | Back to Top08-17-2008 04:13:43 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

The blackboard messiah. WOW.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#10 | Back to Top08-17-2008 11:36:05 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

*grins*

Oh? No more? Well then emot-redface:

30 ways to torture Miki

The Dynasty of Princes by Kadrin

The Cycle by Frau Eva 

I'm going for a theme today, there's something all these fic's have in common and I love them for it! And yes I have made a pact with myself not to stalk Frau Eva.

And just in case you like Ruka: NevaCaruso

Last edited by Coco Melancholy (08-18-2008 11:37:23 AM)

#11 | Back to Top08-18-2008 03:21:37 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I can't really plug Utena Forever, I'm going to rewrite it... one of these days....
but:
http://www.ohtori.nu/fandom/[fic]cassandra_eulogy_of.htm

I give you nightmares with that piece. I so totally paraquote Missing Link. And reference a novel about a nuclear holocaust.

Last edited by Anthiena (08-18-2008 03:27:40 PM)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#12 | Back to Top08-19-2008 07:01:49 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Anthiena wrote:

I can't really plug Utena Forever, I'm going to rewrite it... one of these days....
but:
http://www.ohtori.nu/fandom/[fic]cassandra_eulogy_of.htm

I give you nightmares with that piece. I so totally paraquote Missing Link. And reference a novel about a nuclear holocaust.

Oh YOU wrote that, yeah I've read that emot-dance I really liked the fic and I haven't even read the manga but the idea was creative and fresh, no one writes about Yurika as far as I know, and the student council members being there added a sense of ironic mystery.

When I come back tonight I'll do much wrecking I mean reccing, for now you'll have to make do with a plug, I'm reccing only this one because I had so much fun writing it O.o and the character I've used is rarely seen in fandom: On loving

Oh yea I better apologise to anyone who's read anything else in that thread, I uploaded everything wrong, everything should be fixed today though. Keep the reccommendations coming!

Last edited by Coco Melancholy (08-19-2008 07:04:31 AM)

#13 | Back to Top08-19-2008 08:03:26 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Why am I always late to the party?

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

* From the Ashes by veleda_k @ LJ. Juri/Shiori. Very, very good and very realistic to how these two could get together. I thought Razara and dollface would especially like this, since it is in Shiori's POV, and it's very in-character and sympathetic to her.

Ah, I remember this one! And the above reasons were exactly why I loved it. (I'm pretty easy to read in that regard. emot-redface ) The ending was particularly fitting, and she is one of the few people who could bring Juri and Shiori to a sexual ending and make it work. As much as they paw at each other, it's very hard (for me, at least) to write a sexual scene between the two where Juri is not tied down.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#14 | Back to Top08-19-2008 02:08:04 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Coco Melancholy wrote:

*grins*

Oh? No more? Well then emot-redface:

30 ways to torture Miki

The Dynasty of Princes by Kadrin

The Cycle by Frau Eva 

I'm going for a theme today, there's something all these fic's have in common and I love them for it! And yes I have made a pact with myself not to stalk Frau Eva.

Lol, seriously, stalk me all you want. I love talking to people who enjoy my work(especially when I have no idea how certain story elements come off to the audience). I love throwing sneak peeks and getting feedback. Also, I enjoy writing compliments more that I will actually admit to myself. LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR.....er, I mean, thanks. etc-love

I wish I trolled Fanfiction.net more so I could contribute to this thread(on the other hand, I really don't). So, uh, Jaquemart. Read it now and weep for the fact that it will never be finished.

Hat Mafia Member

#15 | Back to Top08-19-2008 06:05:18 PM

Neva Caruso
Tenjou Tilter

Coco Melancholy wrote:

*twirls and bows* Thank you for the rec!

#16 | Back to Top08-20-2008 08:57:41 AM

cloche
Saionji Slapper

Anything by Luc Court, especially his Shiori-centric fic. There's also Alan Harnum, like other people have mentioned, and Supacat.

#17 | Back to Top08-20-2008 09:29:03 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Shameless self-promotion: Shin Kakumei Evangelion

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#18 | Back to Top08-20-2008 02:14:54 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Ashnod wrote:

Shameless self-promotion: Shin Kakumei Evangelion

I give my recommendation.

The Legend of Ohtori
Utena goes high fantasy. Some characterizations are a little... off... but it's AU.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#19 | Back to Top08-20-2008 02:44:11 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

God bless Clarice for introducing me to this.  "Ever After." By Slyvia.  Which somehow combines TougaXSaionji and het.  Not to mention this story is earth-shatteringly sad and beautiful and funny.

#20 | Back to Top08-20-2008 07:12:13 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

God bless Clarice for introducing me to this.  "Ever After." By Slyvia.  Which somehow combines TougaXSaionji and het.  Not to mention this story is earth-shatteringly sad and beautiful and funny.

LISTEN TO ONLYINTHISLIGHT SHE IS VERY CORRECT THIS STORY IS TEH BOMB AND WE ALL KNOW IT. etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#21 | Back to Top08-24-2008 09:44:29 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

emot-aaa I'll never forget reading that one, who knew that a story with bitchSaionji could be so damn touching and hot.

There was a great TougaxSaionji fic in the repository that were amazing but I can't find them, *cries*

Well make do with these for now:

What's More Dangerous Than Cruising an LA Freeway by DB Sommer

Letters by Bara no Hitomi

Last edited by Coco Melancholy (08-24-2008 09:44:50 AM)

#22 | Back to Top02-14-2013 09:44:22 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Curse me for always skipping over short, unfinished humor fics . . . I almost missed this little gem completely!

To Rid the Fat is to Revolutionize the World

In which Touga angsts over becoming fat despite eating only willing to eat junk snacks,  Akio angsts over his getting pimples from "skin-care" involving pizza grease, and these tools trying to revolutionize the world for becoming hot bishis again emot-rofl

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#23 | Back to Top02-14-2013 11:17:29 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

In which Touga angsts over becoming fat despite eating only willing to eat junk snacks

A whole five pounds even.emot-rofl Yeah, I remember reading this a while back.

#24 | Back to Top02-14-2013 11:28:28 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

In which Touga angsts over becoming fat despite eating only willing to eat junk snacks

A whole five pounds even.emot-rofl Yeah, I remember reading this a while back.

Utena poking him for flab-check was maybe the epitome of SKU-humor ever.

It was a simple story that could warp itself up nicely with like 6-7 chs.  Sadly, it simply stopped at ch3.  Oh well.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#25 | Back to Top03-29-2014 04:19:51 AM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

My favorite Juri x Shiori story. I like how it is from Shiori POV.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/805037/1/Reaching

A good Miki/Kozue story

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7151599/1/Impure

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

Board footer