This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-30-2007 02:12:02 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: The 'adult' world in SKU

I've stopped myself from making an Ohtori/Truman Show thread a couple of times. emot-redface

They're both bubble worlds, but in SKU it's a subtle thing while the Truman Show is literally inside a dome. Ohtori seems far more insidious, in that even when someone leaves (Saionji, Shiori) they can't actually escape and must return.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#27 | Back to Top09-30-2007 02:26:58 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Unless they revolutionize the world of course.  Or turn into a car and drive away.  It's like that rule at a lot of universities where you live on campus: Freshmen aren't allowed to have cars emot-gonk

Last edited by mazoboom (09-30-2007 02:27:47 PM)

#28 | Back to Top09-30-2007 02:56:25 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Even though he has a great deal of influence over Ohtori, I don't think Akio has deliberately been depriving students of adult relationships. (Aside from, possibly, Utena.) It seems that parents in the series are just naturally neglectful, from what we can see of Touga, Nanami, Saionji, Miki and Kozue's non-interaction with them.

Actually, it's pretty clear that he's actively manipulating Miki's parents through Anthy in the eternally confusing "Anthy as Miki's stepmother" scene. A lot of this is speculation since Akio never looks directly at the screen and says, "I am depriving them of their parents. Mwahaha." But it would make a lot of sense. After all, it's the fear of the 'outside world' that keeps a lot of them in the cold but comfortable embrace of Ohtori. By painting a very negative view of adults, many of the students grow to fear the world that adulthood represents.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#29 | Back to Top09-30-2007 03:45:24 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Actually, it's pretty clear that he's actively manipulating Miki's parents through Anthy in the eternally confusing "Anthy as Miki's stepmother" scene.

Possibly, but it's 'eternally confusing' for a reason. It could as easily be Miki's perception which places Anthy in the stepmother role. I doubt that Akio specifically caused Miki's parents to divorce or directly fostered Miki and Kozue's distrust of all adults, since Miki doesn't even trust Akio as a result.

I think Akio's more likely to capitalize on people with social dysfunctions rather than be the force creating those dysfunctions in the first place. Touga and Nanami were most likely neglected by their adoptive parents, but that doesn't mean Akio caused them to be.

#30 | Back to Top09-30-2007 03:54:46 PM

Voice of Athena
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I think we can safely say Akio and Anthy have been fucking with every aspect of the duelists lives for a long time. To think so many students parents would give up control of their kids lives so willingly is obtuse. If Akio wants control over someones mind, he gets it. Super creepy. I don't think much is out of their influence. If some chick can pull a sword out of her fucking tits and her brother can drive a car while sprawled out on its hood, wouldn't you think they could influence more than just a school.... Time, people, floating castles, roses, anatomy, virginity, motorized vehicles....all their bitches.

Just how old do you really think they are? I mean, its relative, right....doesn't matter. In that case, do you think that Anthy is more adult than child at this point? I don't think she's got any sentiment of childhood left in her. I think she's just as much of an adult role as Akio.  Some endless- no, eternal- loop of rose-chopping action gave her that, perhaps. 'Spira mirabilis' right? Just how long has Ohtori been going on. It's a time mindfuck. Trying to figure out some sort of time frame for the series gives me a migraine.

Syllogism the second: One, probability is a factor which operates within natural forces. Two, probability is not acting as a factor. Three, we are now within un-, sub- or supernatural forces. Discuss.
Not too heatedly.

#31 | Back to Top09-30-2007 04:18:04 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

As far as age goes, I find Akio, Anthy, and everyone at Ohtori ageless. They are young people fulfilling the roles of characters and archetypes that have always and will always exit. The flashback we see of young Anthy and Dios is full of anachronisms (if it's way back, why is there a fax machine? If it's current, why is he in a haystack wearing a prince's clothing?) and just confuses those looking for a particular time period. To me, their past purely metaphorical. You can't really say "oh, they've been here for hundreds of years" or "only twenty" or something like that. The essence of who they are has been here since the dawn of humanity. These people are just playing the part for however long it takes.
In short, I have no idea. emot-tongue
And it's many a rich parent's dream to send their kid to private school. emot-rolleyes I doubt much mind-fuckery would have to be involved there.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#32 | Back to Top09-30-2007 04:39:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Voice of Athena wrote:

To think so many students parents would give up control of their kids lives so willingly is obtuse.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, that boarding schools and the like are so common in a lot of cultures does suggest that there's an idea parents have that childrearing should not always be their job, or that they're not always the best people to be doing it.

On one hand, I really want to believe Akio is so mindnumbingly calculatingly evil that he effectively raises his own student council members by pulling strings right from the night of their conception, but this ties in a bit to the whole question of whether Ohtori Academy isn't just really the 'real world' itself, instead of a bubble. Reality is full of backstories that line up with the members of the student council. It's not uncommon for someone like Touga to have negligent parents. It's not uncommon for a child like Miki to have been so pressured to succeed on his parents' account that he distrusts the intention of an adult figure even when they seem encouraging. And while it's strangely suspicious Utena's parents die in a car crash, I really doubt it was necessary for Akio to mow her parents over. Life finds opportunities for him, and that is, in and of itself, something scary about both life and about him. All he has to do is sit back and watch and nudge people just a little bit, and life conspires to give him what he wants. (ohohoh someone get my gross misuse of that)

It isn't necessary for him to so carefully orchestrate the twisted family lives of these characters. Their parents did that just fine. To assume Akio masterminds every waking moment of the lives of these children and their parents absolves their parents of a lot of the wrongdoing, which I think defeats the purpose of Akio being himself a sort of representative for the negative 'adult world'. It's the question you get in Bible class: If the devil made you do it, is it really your fault? Akio didn't need to make Touga and Nanami's parents negligent. Their fallen adults of his sort, they're bastards on their own.

Thaaaaat said...no one's mentioned Kanae's mom that I've seen, and she's the best example of a parent figure whose negative influence has been directed, at least in part, by Akio.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#33 | Back to Top09-30-2007 04:47:46 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of that, that boarding schools and the like are so common in a lot of cultures does suggest that there's an idea parents have that childrearing should not always be their job, or that they're not always the best people to be doing it.

Even when kept in local/public schools it seems as if television and other media outlets spend more time raising children than their actual parents.

Giovanna wrote:

Thaaaaat said...no one's mentioned Kanae's mom that I've seen, and she's the best example of a parent figure whose negative influence has been directed, at least in part, by Akio.

I mentioned her. emot-frown *Flails.*

#34 | Back to Top09-30-2007 04:54:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I mentioned her. emot-frown *Flails.*

You are free to beat me about the shoulders and neck. I am sorry. emot-frown

It really does seem anymore like everyone BUT parents raise children. I gotta wonder though with the job some of them do, is Akio really that much worse? emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#35 | Back to Top09-30-2007 05:28:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well... I don't know whether to believe in the fringe hypothesis that says Akio causes Utena's folks' death.  I will say, though, that if he didn't, then that was a hell of a night for him!  A third coffin happens to be laid out by accident, Utena happens to decide to crawl inside, Touga and Saionji happen to stumble upon her, giving Saionji a complex that lasts a lifetime (and makes him ripe for exploitation), and then Akio knows to show up and give Utena a complex of her own.  If Akio really did just "let life conspire to give him what he wants," then someone up there really likes him!  I think it's more likely that he played some important role behind the scenes in getting things to play out that way, though we aren't given much in the way of clues.

I think it's almost, almost possible to interpret the series without putting Ohtori in a bubble, and say that students -- apart from Anthy and Akio -- enter and graduate normally.  In this case, Akio has set up the dueling game many, many times in the past, always with different players with different complexes.  The only clear monkey-wrench in that theory is Kanae and the other Ohtoris.  Unless Akio only became Acting Chairman recently, he must've been engaged to Kanae for as long as Ohtori has existed.  I can't imagine that the penis tower ever belonged to anyone but Akio, so the Ohtori family is trapped in time along with Akio and Anthy.  On the other hand, if we assume that this is Utena's first time through the dueling game (and hence that she's not trapped), we know that Touga and Saionji -- who are the same age relative to Utena that they were when they met her -- are also not trapped.  Nanami has grown up with Touga, so she's not trapped either.  And if they're not trapped, there's no reason to think any of our other principals are trapped.

So I guess that means that Ohtori itself -- the school and the people who run it -- is eternal and caught in time, but the people who go to it are just normal folks, mostly unaware of the temporal weirdness that surrounds them.

Last edited by satyreyes (09-30-2007 05:29:20 PM)

#36 | Back to Top09-30-2007 05:37:25 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I feel like if anyone set up the coffin incident, it was Dios himself in order to thwart Akio. In the end, it all worked in to his advantage; Utena saved Anthy (or whatever the hell happened in that episode) just like he wanted her to and Akio failed. Dios knew he didn't have much time left, so he did what little he could to get the ball rolling for the destruction of his fallen self.

#37 | Back to Top09-30-2007 06:47:49 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

In the manga it is mostly happenstance that a dying Dios finds a dying Utena and gives her his nobility (ring); Anthy kept his sword. He is clearly hoping that Utena will one day save them, he even says so. One major difference with the series is that the ring and the sword are objects of real power that Akio covets. In the series they are just symbols, which perhaps makes the series more psychologically sophisticated.

On the other hand Utena Tenjou was named that from birth.

In many ways both manga and series are internally inconsistant as well as with each other. That's probably by design.

All the anachronisms hint that this is a eternal drama involving timeless archetypes. OTOH archetypes exists because real people enact them in the mundane stream of time.

Last edited by brian (09-30-2007 06:52:29 PM)

#38 | Back to Top09-30-2007 07:01:41 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

It isn't necessary for him to so carefully orchestrate the twisted family lives of these characters. Their parents did that just fine. To assume Akio masterminds every waking moment of the lives of these children and their parents absolves their parents of a lot of the wrongdoing, which I think defeats the purpose of Akio being himself a sort of representative for the negative 'adult world'. It's the question you get in Bible class: If the devil made you do it, is it really your fault? Akio didn't need to make Touga and Nanami's parents negligent. Their fallen adults of his sort, they're bastards on their own.

You're right in that there was probably a lot he didn't get involved in, and that the boarding schools are often just set pu that way. However, there's no doubt that the absence of parental involvement works in his advantage. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Akio no doubt manipulates SOME people's relationships with their parents. His status as one of the solitary adults that plays any importance in the students' lives probably does work to his advantage. For instance, it's quite clear that Utena often regards him as a father-figure before they start dating, or at least someone wiser and more mature than she can trust. I would also not put it past him, bastard that he is, to not filter out teachers like the piano instructor.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he goes around paying parents to beat the shit out of their children before they come to Ohtori. Nor does he run over half the parents with his car to orphan their children. Nor does he personally sleep with every woman in Japan to father a bunch of illegitimate bastard kids to send them to - acually, that one might have some substance.

However, its clear that he does it some extent when it suits his needs. Children who are not monitored by their parents are naturally easier to manipulate. And as confusing as the image of Anthy behind Miki's father may be, it is a pretty direct signal that he chose to interfere. Does he do that to absolutely everyone? No, because not everyone's really a player in his game.

Also, saying he orchestrates that much evil would be giving him way too much credit.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#39 | Back to Top09-30-2007 07:22:09 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Ragnarok wrote:

I think Akio's more likely to capitalize on people with social dysfunctions rather than be the force creating those dysfunctions in the first place. Touga and Nanami were most likely neglected by their adoptive parents, but that doesn't mean Akio caused them to be.

I agree. After all, there must be a reason why the Student Council is packed with people with serious emotional hangups. They were probably chosen as duelists exactly because their weaknesses could be capitalized.

While Akio is "the adult" (and one could argue that so is Dios) and his influence is pervasive, it seems to me that only Utena truly ends up looking up to him in a trusty manner. Perhaps because of her naivety or maybe due to the fact that she interacts with him on a more personal manner than the rest of the cast. (I am leaving Touga's dubious role and to some extent Saionji's out of the equation for the time being. They do indeed spend a lot of time with Akio but I doubt they ever truly trusted him as Utena did.) As for the rest of the Student Council, as stated before Miki distrusts adults which includes Akio and Juri distrusts virtually everyone. What seems to happen is that Akio finds subtle ways of manoevering those that need be players in his game. Which means he will employs agents that truly could have an impact on the lives of the duelists, much more than he could ever have. With Miki there is Kozue, with Juri there is Shiori. Akio himself wields power insofar as he can get those the players to be affected by other people.
Akio doesn't have to be charming and seductive to everyone, he employs that tactic when it fits his purpose. In some cases it is sheer antagonism toward his person that sets the pieces moving. That would be case of Mikage, in his case Akio clearly is pulling the strings from day one, seducing Tokiko was just the final move on a very well planned plan.
In other words, Akio uses people to use people. And it works, too. In this he very much a grownup, he knows just what buttons to push to obtain the desired reaction. Shiori and Kozue also employ manipulation when needed but theirs is emotionally involved. Theirs is a manipulation that is not as ulterior as Akio's. Akio's approach is almost scientific, it cares not for the people that he manipulates, unlike Shiori and Kozue who do care for Juri and Miki respectively. In this Akio is very much like Mikage, they both twist people around because the end justifies the means as far as they are concerned. Of course they differ in many ways but they both engage in "manipulation by proxy", so to speak.
One of the reasons why Akio approached Utena directly might be that she did not have a huge unresolved emotional burden like the rest of the cast. As such he has to directly manipulate her or do so via Anthy.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (09-30-2007 07:25:19 PM)

#40 | Back to Top09-30-2007 07:27:13 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Even though there's a distinct lack of adults shown in the series, I don't think that they're really as scarce as they appear to be. There must be enough teachers to properly hold classes, but we only see three? Four at most. Two of whom show sexual interest in students and one who carries a riding crop around with her...

Anyway, there's also bound to be servants at places like the Kiryuu residence. While they wouldn't be in an authoritarian role, they'd at least be present. Yet we never even see these types, Touga and Nanami are the only ones we ever see living there. Likewise, Miki and Kozue appear to be on their own, despite sharing a room at their off campus home. We see Wakaba go into town for food, which is jarring in its irregularity of a student being off campus anywhere but where they sleep.

What I mean to say is; the imagery of a world without proper adults and the 'reality' of it can't properly sync up. Adults aren't shown because they aren't fulfilling their roles as much as that they're absent altogether.

Giovanna wrote:

You are free to beat me about the shoulders and neck. I am sorry. emot-frown

Your shoulders and neck aren't what I had in mind. http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spank.gif

#41 | Back to Top10-03-2007 09:24:02 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Ok so some people have said that

Ohtori itself -- the school and the people who run it -- is eternal and caught in time

so what do you think would happen if somehow the real world found out and could see what was really going on within the school?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#42 | Back to Top10-03-2007 10:17:30 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Sorry if I went back to the very beginning, but WHAT!? Miki's step-mom is Anthy!? emot-gonk

Well, when I was watching it, it kinda felt it is.. But, the woman's face wasn't even shown in the anime..
What episode was this? I'll try loading one at VEOH.. @_@

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#43 | Back to Top10-03-2007 12:51:53 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

so what do you think would happen if somehow the real world found out and could see what was really going on within the school?

A lot of sexual harassment lawsuits? school-devil

It would probably be required to enter Ohtori to actually see how it differs from the outside world. From a distance it just looks like a fancy school with a really big tower. Anyone entering the school could, theoretically, get caught up in the time-out-of-joint effect themselves or at least be decieved by an illusory version of the campus.

Tokiko is clearly unnerved when she returns to Ohtori to find, having grown up herself, that Mikage and Akio are unchanged from when she last saw them. She doesn't try to change things, though. Or if she does, she presumably fails.

Stephanie wrote:

Well, when I was watching it, it kinda felt it is.. But, the woman's face wasn't even shown in the anime..
What episode was this? I'll try loading one at VEOH.. @_@

Episode 26 - Miki's Nest Box

This scene seems to mess with people's heads the most. I think we, as a forum, are getting better and interpreting it.

#44 | Back to Top10-03-2007 03:01:11 PM

Voice of Athena
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

It would probably be required to enter Ohtori to actually see how it differs from the outside world. From a distance it just looks like a fancy school with a really big tower.

Akio would make it big enough to be seen from miles away, wouldn't he. Talk about power-complex.....

Ho ho ho ho....school-devil

I don't really see the scene in episode 26 fucking with my head too much. I pretty much stuck with the interpretation as it being a symbolic reference to the power of the Ohtori "A" team outta the coffin of a campus.

Fu fu fu.  Are we thinking too hard...... fu fu fu....

Syllogism the second: One, probability is a factor which operates within natural forces. Two, probability is not acting as a factor. Three, we are now within un-, sub- or supernatural forces. Discuss.
Not too heatedly.

#45 | Back to Top10-03-2007 03:12:44 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maybe Miki's step-mother got her Rose-Bride costume from the same store or something.

#46 | Back to Top10-03-2007 03:22:02 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I always took that scene as being more of an illusion than anything else. Just as Anthy was able to manipulate Mikage into thinking she was Mamiya, perhaps she was able to manipulate Mr. Kaoru into thinking she was his pretty little arm candy. She is a witch, after all. We the viewers never saw Mamiya through anyone's eyes but Mikage's. In fact, we can assume that no one else ever saw him/her. Even when Kanae was given the black rose, she had her back to Mamiya. I don't really think that Anthy was able to disguise herself to look like Mamiya, but she was able to decieve Mikage into seeing what he wanted. I always imagined the same to be true of Mr. Kaoru. Seeing her back, she clearly looks like Anthy. But perhaps through his eyes, she is the twins new mother, encouraging him to call his son and inform him of their wedding.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#47 | Back to Top10-03-2007 03:57:39 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I look at that scene as further going to prove that the reason Miki chases after Anthy is because he's chasing after Kozue who took the place of a parent when they were neglected as children. [/run-on]
I dunno. It also sort of echoes when Kanae said that Anthy was poisoning her father. If you find out what that means, you may find out what the other means.

Board footer