This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top05-19-2007 03:55:34 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: Messed up relationship - Anthy/Akio thread

Giovanna wrote:

*I'm sorry.

LIAR! emot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongue
Now I wonder if you modified your argument just to set that up.

Seriously, though, I find the whole what's-holding-people-back thing fascinating, and am developing an analysis of Utena based on it.  Unfortunately, I'm lazy, so it'll probably be a while before anything comes of it.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#77 | Back to Top05-23-2007 08:57:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

*I'm sorry.

LIAR! emot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongue
Now I wonder if you modified your argument just to set that up.

No, but I did add Juri needlessly for it. emot-wink

You know when else I think Akio's being quite honest? Episode 13. I mean he speaks a lot of garbage but there's nothing in there that's necessarily untrue. I have half an essay on it written somewhere, maybe I'll post when I get home. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#78 | Back to Top07-13-2008 07:36:25 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Well, I hope that not everything has been said yet... For me Anthy decided to stay with Akio because it's convenient - leaving him is similiar to removing appendix from body: when we don't feel pain (or if we like it, as Anthy) there's no reason to go under knife. And, another thing is that it's her brother. Bloodlines stays forever, and I think she is simply attached to him. She lives in greenhouse and she's afraid of withering away from his light.
Maybe she loves being special Rose Bride so much, that she chooses suffering rather that plain's girlish life?

I think his tears are quite honest. But he's full of shit when he sheds them. Anthy is aware of both sides of that coin.

What's ironic, I think that Akio is more infatuated that Anthy is. He doesn't have to sleep with her, he would focus on another, more willing and more submissive lovers. He needs her, of course he does, but I see something more here. He egoistically wants to HAVE her as really obsessive psycho lover.

After this conversation about new, unknown star I realised that Anthy treats him as a child - she respect his caprices, she let him do whatever he wants with her, but her mind is actually floating away. I don't think she's jealous about him when Utena started to date with him, maybe her ego suffered a little bit because it's nice to be at pedestal, but I suppose she desires Utena more that him.

#79 | Back to Top07-14-2008 12:27:24 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

dlaire wrote:

What's ironic, I think that Akio is more infatuated that Anthy is. He doesn't have to sleep with her, he would focus on another, more willing and more submissive lovers. He needs her, of course he does, but I see something more here. He egoistically wants to HAVE her as really obsessive psycho lover.

This reminds me of The War of the Roses. (Funny huh?) In the movie this couple gets married and the marriage goes completely in the shitter, but I always end up sympathizing with the husband, because it seemed to me the wife is the one that changed when they got married. It's the other way around for Akio and Anthy--Anthy never wanted Akio, that's not the product she wanted to purchase. By the same token, by Akio's perspective, Anthy was Anthy. She probably didn't change much until quite recently, which would be supported by his complete inability to cope with her resistance.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer