This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top03-05-2008 05:55:31 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Re: Color symbolism within Utena

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I saw in a comment once someone saying this:

"Has anyone ever noticed that Saionji's eyes have Anthy's hair, and Anthy's eyes have Saionji's hair"

Well, I don't really know what it means, but maybe they compliment each other?
Like Ikuni said once that Saionji was the typical male Japanese, Anthy might be
the typical female Japanese who is submissive and let's Saionji abuse her.

Well, just rambling on the thought XD

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#52 | Back to Top03-05-2008 06:09:10 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

^A friend of mine actually mentioned that to me on Saturday, but I had never noticed it before.

I kind of think of them as two sides of one coin, in a way.

Think about it. Anthy's calm on the outside, extremely secretive, and very, very manipulative. Saionji, on the other hand, is almost always in a rage, wears his heart on his sleeve, and ends up being one of the most manipulated, along with insignificant duelists in the series.

He's also the first one who uses a sword on Utena, while Anthy is the last. To add to that, his physical attack on Utena fails, and Anthy's succeeds.(ouch)

They also appear to have the same hair-type. There really does seem to be a weird duality between these two characters.

Last edited by Adrasteia (03-05-2008 06:09:43 AM)

#53 | Back to Top03-05-2008 12:03:00 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

It's an interesting thought. It got me thinking a little bit about eye color. Hair color is so oft-discussed that I think the eyes, by comparison, get a bit ignored.

Utena and Touga DO both have blue eyes, correct? There are plenty of blue-eyed characters, but these two are such significant characters that I think it bears examining. The most obvious similarity in their characters is that they're both ultimately used and manipulated by Akio-- Utena to the extent of beginning to lose her ambition, and Touga with the (apparent) promise of his own ambition being realized.

I think interestingly, it's the first and final arcs that show the relationship between the two characters best. I mean, besides the fact that Touga was moping through all of the Black Rose Saga.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#54 | Back to Top03-05-2008 04:01:44 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Utena mopes quite a bit when she loses her first duel, too. If it weren't for Wakaba, she might well have stayed that way for a long time; while Touga had already disposed of his own Wakaba earlier in the first arc.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#55 | Back to Top03-05-2008 05:24:31 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Utena mopes quite a bit when she loses her first duel, too. If it weren't for Wakaba, she might well have stayed that way for a long time; while Touga had already disposed of his own Wakaba earlier in the first arc.

Yep. As long as we're comparing, how they dealt with a similar loss is really telling. Utena was able to recover because despite her experience deep down she was keeping herself open to others. Touga never had a chance because of the reason you mentioned. Appropriately, this is all making me think of the common assertion characters in the show make that true friendship is a fairytale and you can only rely on yourself. If you look at the cast, there's a lot to be said for most of the main characters regarding friendship, dependency and mistaking friendship for dependency. But now we're getting away from the color symbolism thing. >.>

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#56 | Back to Top03-05-2008 07:13:47 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Touga's color being red always reminded me of Power rangers. Red's the leader emot-tongue

Let's feng-shui this thread up a bit.

White- A fresh canvas -New beginings, purity and innocence.  Cleanliness  and freshness, but also cold, lifelessness and starkness.

Black- A clean slate -Mysterious and independant.  Intrigue, strength and allure, but also death, darkness and evil.

Red- Stimulating and dominant.  Not suitable for dining rooms, children's bedrooms, kitchens or workshops (Wrote that mainly because the first two amused me so).  Associated with warmth, prosperity and stimulation, but also anger, shame and hatred.

Yellow: Enlightenment and intellect, it stimulates the brain and aids digestion (That fucking EGG).  It's positive qualities are optimism, reason and decisivness, while its negative qualities are craftiness, exaggeration and rigidity.

Green:  Growth, fertility and harmony.  Restful and refreshing.  Positive qualities are optimism, freedom and balance, and it's negatives are envy and deceit.

Blue:  Peaceful and soothing and linked with spirituality, contemplation, mystery and patience.  Its positive associations are trust, faithfulness and stability.  Negatives are suspicion and melancholia.

Purple:  Encouraging vitality, purple is impressive, dignified and spiritual.  Positives associations are excitement, passion and motivation, negatives are mournfulness and force.  (This almost doesn't seem to fit, unless you think of it as the negative associations mournfulness and force having to do more with Akio, and the posistive attributes as something she obtains after Utena's revolution).

Pink:  Linked with purity of thought and has the positive association of happiness and romance with no negative characteristics.  (And it's the only one with no negative qualities.)

Orange:  A powerful and cheerful color, orange encourages communication (LULZ).  It's positive qualities are happiness, concentration and intellect, and its negative is rebelliousness. 

Brown:  Stability and weight.  Safety and elegance, but also dinginess, depression and aging.

**slightly random note.  I've always been interested in Miki and Kozue's shared theme of blue, relating to water.  They are twins, so their physical appearances reflect eachother, like images on water.   Kozue sees Miki as the innocent she once was, while Miki sees Kozue as something that only used to be innocent, her image is marred by the red lipstick and shorts that symbolize sex and sin and the clear lack of innocence.

I think alot of the character's colors represent their potential.  They are oft to show their more negative qualities until later on during the series or after their revolutions, when more of the positive elements of their colors show through.

As for the inverted colors with Saionji and Anthy's hair and eye colors...I always thought of it like this: Anthy's green eyes represent enternity, deep inside, though it is not something she expressly desires, so it is a little more hidden, it is overshadowed by her doormat personality and role as the Rosebride, hence her hair, which while up symbolizes her lack of freedom, being colored purple.

For Saionji, enternity is more overtly and openly desired, and so his hair is green, hanging down in free, flowing waves of absolute sexiness.  What I mean is, it's kinda big and flashy and out-there.  Saionji's hair demands eternity.  For his eyes, the purple might more than likely represent the more positive qualities of the color, which, in Saionji's case, are less well-known and visible to others in comparison to his "OMG ETERNITY ME WANT NAO" behavior.

I also kinda think Saionji tends to spend alot of his interactions with Anthy trying to catch her eyes.   

Gods I love Saionji.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-05-2008 07:17:32 PM)

#57 | Back to Top03-06-2008 09:21:57 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Stephanie wrote:

Anthy might be
the typical female Japanese who is submissive and let's Saionji abuse her.

I'm out of my depth here but someone claimed that the Japanese ideal of womanhood is not submissiveness but uncomplaining Spartan endurance. By that measure he is not an exemplar of old-fashioned Japanese warrior virtues either, he's too flashy, too emotional, too vain, and too fickle.

I get the feeling that Anthy is not supposed to be a typical anything, she's just an outsider, mysterious and misunderstood.

Somehow those green eyes of hers seem to evoke both great depth and great power and a prematurely old soul. Green is the most perfect color for them to be. Harry Potter's eyes are green and I get the feeling that they have some of the same basic symbolism for both characters.

Last edited by brian (03-06-2008 09:23:39 PM)

#58 | Back to Top03-09-2008 01:44:28 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

brian wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Anthy might be the typical female Japanese who is submissive and let's Saionji abuse her.

I'm out of my depth here but someone claimed that the Japanese ideal of womanhood is not submissiveness but uncomplaining Spartan endurance. By that measure he is not an exemplar of old-fashioned Japanese warrior virtues either, he's too flashy, too emotional, too vain, and too fickle.

I get the feeling that Anthy is not supposed to be a typical anything, she's just an outsider, mysterious and misunderstood.

Somehow those green eyes of hers seem to evoke both great depth and great power and a prematurely old soul. Green is the most perfect color for them to be. Harry Potter's eyes are green and I get the feeling that they have some of the same basic symbolism for both characters.

Well, about Saionji, during Ikuni's interview on the radio about him, he explained the Saionji slapping Anthy represents males in Japan..

So far, that's what he said.. emot-tongue
I dunno about men being flashy there and stuff.

"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
~FMA

#59 | Back to Top03-09-2008 03:03:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

brian wrote:

I think that was deliberate, in that it's a criticism of that severely stoic ideal, and how truly impractical it is. Because it is. And if you were to split hairs, it's what makes Saionji so incapable of living up to that that's actually his greatest strength, and completely put against him. He makes his sensitivity a bad thing, and like everyone else in the series, gets both his strengths and weaknesses put against him. I keep imagining, to stick with the topic, a tree being cut down. The green leaves make a tree beautiful, but its not the leaves we get any use out of, it's the wood.

But in the end, it's the leaves we needed.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#60 | Back to Top03-09-2008 05:22:35 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

This may be either obvious or unrelated, but I figure I could mention it anyway.

Nanami's yellow keeps relating to the stomach in this thread. It reminded me of The Failing Revolution by Spiral Artist (http://www.ohtori.nu/analysis/07_spiral … ailing.htm). It's said that Nanami somewhat symbolizes the submissive female who likes her position, as opposed to feminists who oppose the ideal submissive-woman, or girls like Utena who just don't follow others' standards. I've thought of Nanami as a spoiled princess with her shallow prince (Touga, who's a bit shallow towards her as well as other girls, at least). I know that the yellow=stomach thing is referring more towards food/energy and digestion, but maybe the stomach may also imply the womb, and thereby childbirth? I think that exact part may be a bit lower. It's just that the ideal submissive-woman/princess doesn't mind being a baby-factory to her prince. (The cold isn't helping my choice of words...)

And more about colors... Isn't black "the color of detail"? A lot of the girls and boys who only get 0.00001 seconds of screentime in SKU have black hair/eyes, and a few have at least a dark brown/something color of hair and eyes. This doesn't include people like Wakaba and Keiko. It may have just been a sort of laziness with the animation, but the other students that make up Ohtori school are just there to fill it up. They are trapped in the illusion just like the main cast, but they're not in Akio's game. They're just details to make the main picture look pretty or whole.

I'm kind of surprised to see that no one's mentioned that red is the color of blood yet. I'm not sure what that would symbolize of Touga or his rose, but it's easy to connect to Anthy's dress and Akio's car. Anthy is Akio's scapegoat. She's the target for the gazillion-swords-of-hate. Being stabbed a gazillion times = bleeding = blood. Anthy's dress, I've heard before, symbolizes a "trophy wife," or a wife who's just there to look pretty, which could also lead to suffering (hence the swords being pulled out of her, as opposed to in. Also, Anthy wore red even when Akio was still Dios. Maybe she was playing a trophy wife of sorts). Her being a witch may also indicate why people would love to stab her, for taking away Dios (in the movie: having sex with Dios?) or for doing witch-like things. Anyway, it leads up to the swords.

Akio's car can mean several things (probably depending on the situation the car is in, too). In the movie, the car was just there and not doing much. When Akio was making the moves on Utena, it's red color may have just indicated "let's get it on," but it could also indicate that Utena's morality is being hurt by the incident. Hurt=bleeding=blood, but that might be going a bit too far. I think Razura (I THINK!) may have said that his car symbolizes a sort of motivation or a transportation to getting what is desired by the duelists. The journey to getting what one wants would lead to hurting and suffering, which may be represented by blood or red. This may also be true for any red in the Dueling Arena.

I wish I could say more, but it's cold. emot-gonk Still, even though the interpretations of green have been directed at Saiounji and Anthy thus far, what about the green on the uniforms? The girls have green colars and skirts, and the boys wear all green. This is, though, for the "ordinary" boys. And(!), if we're talking about Anthy's eyes, would it necessarily also refer to Akio/Dios?

I love this thread. It makes me etc-wankgirl and poptart even in this weather.

#61 | Back to Top03-09-2008 05:45:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

dabouse1 wrote:

but it's easy to connect to Anthy's dress and Akio's car

He rides both but never gets anywhere. school-freud Red by its most common definiton is a passionate color, so it's odd that red appears prominently in the show's least passionate characters. You could say Touga has a considerable sense of passion but in most situation he's far more calculating, and Akio and Anthy are about as passionate as your 7th grade math teacher. However all three are in a position to want to project passion. I wonder about that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#62 | Back to Top03-09-2008 07:05:41 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

dabouse1 wrote:

Still, even though the interpretations of green have been directed at Saiounji and Anthy thus far, what about the green on the uniforms? The girls have green colars and skirts, and the boys wear all green. This is, though, for the "ordinary" boys. And(!), if we're talking about Anthy's eyes, would it necessarily also refer to Akio/Dios?

Maybe it's just my own quirk but deep green eyes are very evocative of the Earth with all that can imply. I think that's a reason why certain characters are given green eyes but it's hard to say for sure.

There is a lot of botanical imagery in Utena and the pale green of the ordinary students shows them as young growing things. Maybe the bright colors of the major characters show their "specialness" but also makes them lurid.

#63 | Back to Top03-11-2008 01:25:31 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

By the way, I like this site, they really have links that spell out most of the meanings of Utena, include the color symbolisms (Main char and villain having opposite colors: Utena in black, Akio in White.. etc..) and many more: Clicky!

~FMA

#64 | Back to Top03-12-2008 03:33:14 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Giovanna wrote:

Red by its most common definiton is a passionate color, so it's odd that red appears prominently in the show's least passionate characters.

Wasn't it you or Yasha that said SKU is like a semi-dark tale disguised with prettiful colors? Maybe it's Iku's way of being ironic, or even mocking those who pretend to be something they're not. (For Touga, it being chivilrous. Anthy: a princess instead of a witch. Akio: a prince.) Other than that, I've no idea how to explain Touga's wearing red, unless it's just another kink for "I'm sexy," since red is considered to be a very sexy color. etc-love

brian wrote:

Maybe it's just my own quirk but deep green eyes are very evocative of the Earth with all that can imply. I think that's a reason why certain characters are given green eyes but it's hard to say for sure.

There is a lot of botanical imagery in Utena and the pale green of the ordinary students shows them as young growing things. Maybe the bright colors of the major characters show their "specialness" but also makes them lurid.

The quickest thing I could respond with is that both Anthy and Akio are stuck in their own purgatory -- or, in other words, they can't go to a higher place/heaven like Utena easily could because they are trapped in Ohtori. They both seem to do this willingly, so...they are earthbound. As is Saiounji and the other characters, but I think Akio and Anthy are in a deeper pile of shit, respectively.

And Wakaba's BlackRose episode was all about her angsting over how unspecial she and other girls are, compared to Utena and the Council. If I remember correctly, she was wearing pure black -- whilst the other Black Rose Duelists were wearing dark shades, but not neccessarilly black. What's more, I think Akio mentioned something about gardens=schools once. I forget, though I'd agree with that.

#65 | Back to Top03-12-2008 05:41:30 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

dabouse1 wrote:

Other than that, I've no idea how to explain Touga's wearing red

This gives me a thought; Touga never technically wears red, does he? I never really thought about it before, but his uniform is stark white (or, in terms of the movie, black), and in any instances where he is wearing a select attire (kendo uniform, childhood clothes) it clearly lacks his 'signiture' color. Could this mean something? Akio and Anthy wear red as a symbol to others and to themselves that they fit into their roles. But Touga's passion is something that, while debatable, can't really be shown as completely unreal. This is especially true of movie!Touga and manga!Touga. Although I certainly don't ship Touga and Utena, I don't doubt that at least some of his feelings for her were real, and his passion for the revolution was not merely an act. His nature is just that-- nature. It's not something he can force, like being the ruler of the perfect world, or still holding onto the innocence that saves you from becoming a much darker role. Akio and Touga share a lot of similarities, one of the most notable being the pursual of Utena. However, Akio's feelings were a facade for the most part, a ploy used to gain something from her-- he wears his red in the moments where they are most intimate, up until the very last episodes, when he became the living image of her prince. When Akio is playing his little games with Touga, he sports the prince attire constantly-- he doesn't need to wear red for him, because he has nothing to prove to Touga. Touga is already baited, and the manipulation is accepted. After all, Touga has something to gain from Akio, and at best, Akio lets him have his fun. Now, on the other end of the spectrum, Touga doesn't choose to wear red around Utena. He has enough naturally. The passion and devotion he shows to her (at least in the later half of the series) may have been showy, but it wasn't just for show. By the end of his run, Touga wasn't looking for personal gain in Utena, he was looking for an honest-to-goodness princess. Even if it could have helped him to conceal that passion, he wouldn't have been able to.

But, most of this is subject to change depending on which relationship you apply it to, so it's not really a valid thought. Maybe the designers were just smart enough to know that red clothes and red hair would be an eyesore.

Last edited by dollface (03-12-2008 05:43:56 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#66 | Back to Top03-13-2008 03:13:09 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

dollface wrote:

But Touga's passion is something that, while debatable, can't really be shown as completely unreal. This is especially true of movie!Touga and manga!Touga. Although I certainly don't ship Touga and Utena, I don't doubt that at least some of his feelings for her were real, and his passion for the revolution was not merely an act. ... The passion and devotion he shows to her (at least in the later half of the series) may have been showy, but it wasn't just for show. By the end of his run, Touga wasn't looking for personal gain in Utena, he was looking for an honest-to-goodness princess. Even if it could have helped him to conceal that passion, he wouldn't have been able to.

I like this a lot because I mostly agree with what it says about Touga. :-)  Touga doesn't need to affect red and what it symbolizes by wearing it.  He is, or will be, naturally.

We have the passion/love side of red and the scarlet letter/blood side of red.  Interesting if you apply "the scarlet letter" to Touga....

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#67 | Back to Top03-25-2008 06:30:42 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Great last point Dollface.

Absolutely addicted to Raven Nightshades analysis in this thread. That extract about the tree gave me chills. Also, Anthy being indian (possibly Tamil?) and wearing a red dress, *head slams into keyboard*, never thought about that, how more obvious could that be?

raven nightshade wrote:

Orange got assigned to gluttony on the Seven Deadly Sins color spectrum. Unfortunately, it make absolutely no sense whatsoever because Gluttony is purely food-related, as opposed to its more generic sibling Greed.

It's interesting that you say this, because I've read different colour theories on Juri and Miki and none are hitting my immediate thoughts.

When I see blue I instantly think of intellect. It's about the mind. Many blue haired anime characters tend to be more mental. You paint walls blue because it's cool, it calms you down and it helps you to concentrate, kind of part of the reason why nurses uniforms are usually blue. Now Miki and Kozue are both intelligent characters, they merely use their mental capacity in different ways, Miki channels it into academic's and musical talents whereas Kozue has darker more calculating functions for it's use. They are both calm, they are both cool in temprement, however a character once remarked that although Kozue is cool girl, sometimes she does something crazy like save those birds for example. That could also be the tinge of red in her hair that gives her calculating ways a measure of passion and impulse.

Now orange is supposed to make you hungry when you paint it on walls much like how blue is supposed to help you focus. I defintely think that this can applied to Juri who is "unfulfilled". She hungry for reciprecated love, she's hungry for miracles and she's hungry for the freedom her locket denies her.

I'll never forget when I first saw the Saionji Anthy invert thing, it was whilst I was rewatching a scene from the movie, the colours are so much more vivid and I was like, omg, I wonder why I never thought about that before, it wasn't just the colours I noticed. Saionji and Anthy have the same colours (albeit inverted) and wavy hair, and Touga and Utena have the same colours (pink is a lighter red okay) and straight hair, and as someone else mentioned a long while ago that the relationships of the other characters in the show predict, mirror and provide lessons to Anthy and Utena, I suddenly thought that perhaps there might be a comment on Anthy and Utena's friendship there.

dlaire wrote:

Pink- it's color of naiviety, dreams. Mikage's hair seems to be watered, as if his life washed up his purity. He's machiavellian type, his high ideas turn into evil.

Only person I can find to mention naiviety, and I think it suits Mikage so much as well, since the poor guy thought he was controlling everyone only to find himself nothing more than a puppet in the end. And, yea, we all know Utena's naieve. Lame I know, but I just reckoned Mikages hair was more washed out because he's revolution was let solid than Utena's, he's presence after he left was less permenant than her's was.

I know it's stretching it a bit but someone mentioned Mikage and Miki having similar or inverted clothes am I right, (notice that their names sound similar as well), thinking about it now they both spend the anime naievely chasing something insubstantial, the main difference in how they go about it is their assertion. And it's interesting that Mikages clothes are darker than Miki's. Mikage does everything in he's power, including murder and manipulation to name but a few, he even goes as far as undergoing he's own conversion process and fighting himself in order to attain something intangible. Miki on the other hand is more passive, he has to be coaxed into dueling by Touga most of the time and when Mikage propositions him directly, he refuses. Also they both end up with some of the worst endings in terms of progression and growth out of all the duelists.

Nanami's weeping her eyes out in her last duel, but you'd have to be blind not to see she's come a long way, not even Touga seemed to have anticipated her real pyschology or feelings, and though it's still because of Touga and Akio's manipulations, it's not the predicted actions gained as a result of it. Nanami fights for herself and to free herself of Touga in her last duel. Ruka manages to help Juri free herself from Shiori. Juri manages to free herself from Shiori. Touga and Saionji are mending their friendship and by their last duel we see little resent from Saionji to be Touga's rose bride, by that stage he's less volatile and jealous. Touga is sharing a little bit of he's place at the top with Saionji which is more than what he was doing for the boy at the start, by he's last duel we see a notable change in him, he's not fighting strictly for power, he geuinely wants to be a prince and help Utena. In Utena's final duel she's able to step beyond the world of fairytale where only a prince can save a girl (which she can't be because she is a girl), into the real world where a friend can help a girl, or a friend in this case, though her growth isn't recognised by her, (she apologises for not being a prince and being unable to save Anthy when in actual fact discarding the role and inspiring Anthy to save herself is something so much more precious), or others (you know, they kind of all forget her), her character still grew and the effects of it are there.

Long rant I know, but onto Mikage and Miki. I was FAR from happy with Miki's ending story because far from developing or moving forward he seemed to go backwards, O.o, yea it was great and all that he decided to stop sitting on he's arse and pining for he's shining thing, but there was the creepiest feeling of corruption and immaturity to it all, we never saw him realising the truth about he's own abilities or the illusion of the shining thing, even the new assertion he has seems flimsy and unreal and he loses he's final duel the same way he lost the last one, even Utena says that he's still fighting with a childs sword. Mikage's development is harder to pin as it's already happened pre-Utena, as far as duels goes, he's was the worst, distracted by the truth he lost, left no trace and as far as we know could be anything from dead, a pile of ashes to an aged lonely man.

And I've rambled with no actual purpose long enough, on a side note, I don't think I've seen anyone mention that purple is a royal colour, what I first thought when I saw Anthy with that crown on her head.

Also any views on Kanae's colours? Rose?? Hair? Eyes? Clothes? Duelist outfit?

emot-mad urgh, I just realised her mothers hair is blue (whatkozuecouldbe)

#68 | Back to Top03-25-2008 08:32:23 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love Kanae?etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love  I always saw as orange representing unfufillment, like Juri, and a white scarf for innocence  and as a reference to the white lillies in her black rose duel.  The green in her hair can represent feelings of jealousy and dislike towards Anthy and Utena for getting to spend so much more time with her fiance.  Like her, it's repressed --pale, overlooked.  Barely there unless you take the time to actually look at her.

Overall, Kanae's hair is meant to look blonde to anyone not paying her any attention, and is very full and beautiful.  Just the happy, blonde, trophy-wife-to-be.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-25-2008 08:33:57 PM)

#69 | Back to Top04-18-2009 09:42:11 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Here is my Utena Color Catechism (my pride and joy): emot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrin

Red=pursuit of power
Blue=pursuit of an ideal
Yellow=pursuit of possession
White=pursuit of nobility
Black=pursuit of destruction
Brown=being a commoner
Seconcay colors/different hues= combos of the above (Saionji desperately wants to possess Anthy and to be part of eternity, Miki is pursuing his ideal with nobility[and a noble's unhealthy sense of disgust] and Ruka is pursuing his ideal with destructive bastardry[albeit well-planned, effective, and in the end, good]

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#70 | Back to Top04-20-2009 09:46:59 AM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

Coco Melancholy wrote:

Also any views on Kanae's colours? Rose?? Hair? Eyes? Clothes? Duelist outfit?

In her regular outfit, Kanae wraps herself in different colors while most other characters wear either school or dueling uniforms. She doesn't have obvious color patterns like the other Duelists. Perhaps this schema shows that Kanae constantlty bends over backwards and changes her personality to fulfill other people's whims.

What struck me from the first moment I saw Kanae, though, is how she immediately reminded me of a broken baby bird. I watched the rest of the episode just waiting for something bad to happen to her, because it seemed obvious that something would. It must've been her overall pale color schema. Pallid skin, almost-white-hair and scarves, ordinary big brown eyes...even her orange dress wasn't that bright. In fact, the dress is perhaps reminiscent of Juri. Both characters desire love, miracles, and above all, strength to overcome their weaknesses. Of course, Kanae doesn't nearly have the backbone Juri does, so she's considerably worse at getting what she wants, even in the Dueling Arena. I don't hate Kanae, but she's definitely one of the more pitiful characters in the series.

Last edited by Nights1stStar (04-20-2009 09:52:11 AM)

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#71 | Back to Top05-02-2009 05:04:45 PM

Melegant
Anthy Assailer

I wonder what would grey rose means. Only stereotypical and lawful persons could put it in their sign. This hypotetical "Grey rose duellist" would probably be bore, conscientious and cruel in name of the "justice". I can imagine how Akio or Mikage manipulate with this "Grey soldier" by power of "Grey's" loyalty to some law.

"Lascivious grace, in whom all ill well shows,
Kill me with spites; yet we must not be foes."

- William Shakespeare, sonnet n. 40 -

Board footer