This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-10-2016 10:04:17 AM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

Possibilty of an SKU remake.

Since the 20th anniversary of SKU is coming up soon, I was wondering how would a remake of SKU turnout? Maybe even another movie of SKU?
Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my behalf but wouldn't it be awesome if the continued the story?
Maybe they show Anthy's adventures in finding Utena and what happens when they finally meet? Who knows. Tell me what you would think of a remake. emot-keke

#2 | Back to Top10-10-2016 03:32:01 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Possibilty of an SKU remake.

SKU owes so much to Twin Peaks, and that's coming back.

Never say never.

I'd pretty much want a retelling or something new and different with connections, than a straight followup, though.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top10-10-2016 06:27:23 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

Hmm interesting way of putting it.
Is there a petition or something we can make to get this done?

#4 | Back to Top10-11-2016 05:22:52 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I'd pretty much want a retelling or something new and different with connections, than a straight followup, though.

While new material would be great, I wouldn't mind a retelling with polished animation. emot-tongue

#5 | Back to Top10-11-2016 06:30:01 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

A retelling would be nice. The only thing I wish is that Utena can express her relationship more with Anthy.
They movie was rather limited in that department. Since it is 2016 I think people have a different mindset on homosexuality so it could be done.
Like I said, should we make a petition or something to get this done? (Even though I think it still is wishful thinking)

#6 | Back to Top10-11-2016 11:34:54 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Can we please not? It would only be a disppointment in some way or other. Utena does not need to be revised or "improved". Let it remain as it is, undefiled.

#7 | Back to Top10-12-2016 12:51:33 AM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Aelanie wrote:

Can we please not? It would only be a disppointment in some way or other. Utena does not need to be revised or "improved". Let it remain as it is, undefiled.

I don't see anything wrong with making a new series. It is not like it will devalue what currently exists. Plenty of other shows have done this (Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter, etc.), and fans would be free to choose the version that they prefer. There is already a large number of fans who do not like the movie. That hasn't taken away from the TV series at all in my opinion.

While Utena as a story is a masterpiece, there are many problems with the animation. (Though I will concede it looks a lot better on the Blu-Rays!) There are plenty of people I know personally who won't even give Utena a glance simply for the way it looks. It would bring new fans into the fold. I understand some people might not want a wave of new fans entering, but I'm personally in favor of that happening. I think the story is important enough to merit a wider viewership. New viewership doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down. An Utena TV Series that was essentially the same but looked like Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma Arashi, or even done in the style of the movie would make me very happy. If it were to be redone, I also envision Ikuhara turning up THE GAY. As a queer person myself, I wish it wasn't danced around so much in the TV series.

As for a sequel or a new story...I will admit that asking ourselves why a sequel should be made is important. I don't really know how much there is to explore in a sequel about Anthy and Utena...perhaps a single episode, but not an entire series. I think the show as it stands has a perfect arc and adequate closure. No need to redo that.

I mean, it is possible to do a sequel, but you'd have to have a story worth telling. I wouldn't really be thrilled to see Akio return to manipulate Anthy and Utena because it would minimize how they surmounted him in the TV Series and Movie. I don't really want to see a new villain either, as I think it would mess with the allegory. To me, it would be much more interesting to explore the psychology of other characters such as Nanami or Jury as a lead. Yes, a series dedicated to Nanami--I could watch that. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead did it for Hamlet. That is an entirely plausible way to go about it.

Another way I can see a remake going as well, is by doing it in live action. In fact, I would be most definitely interested to see Ikuhara work in this medium.

That said, I don't really have confidence a petition will do anything. *shrugs* Just because fans demand something should happen, doesn't mean said work will be good. I don't want Utena to exist as fanservice.

I'm fine with whatever happens. While I'm content with what we have, I'd also be hyped for a new incarnation. However, it is not something I think should be demanded. I'd rather just let Be-Papas decide what to do, if they feel like doing anything at all. I'll leave it in the hands of the artists.

Last edited by barafubuki (10-12-2016 01:18:43 AM)

#8 | Back to Top10-12-2016 01:34:24 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

barafubuki wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with making a new series. It is not like it will devalue what currently exists. Plenty of other shows have done this (Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter, etc.), and fans would be free to choose the version that they prefer.

Sailor Moon Crystal was a mistake, and is inferior to and disrespectful toward the original anime, which (whatever Takeuchi wants to believe) is what actually made Sailor Moon successful as a franchise.

There is already a large number of fans who do not like the movie.

Those people have bad taste and their opinions can be safely discarded.

That hasn't taken away from the TV series at all in my opinion.

It's the opposite: their slavish devotion to the details of the series is why many of them refuse to accept the movie as the breathtaking piece of artistry that it is.

While Utena as a story is a masterpiece, there are many problems with the animation.

In your opinion. I personally have always loved Utena's animation, which is stylistically elegant even if there was not always the budget for technical fireworks. Even then, there are no glaring issues, and the show has impressive sequences when it needs them. (The movie is, of course, a tour de force of excellence in all ways.)

There are plenty of people I know personally who won't even give Utena a glance simply for the way it looks.

Bad taste as well as shallow, opinions discarded. New fans have always been entering, and doing so without superficial sensibilities needing to be placated. They were rewarded for their open-mindedness, which is as it should be.

An Utena TV Series that was essentially the same but looked like Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma Arashi

Please no. I do not want today's computer-generated moeblobby stylistics invading Utena's hand-drawn angular lines and art-deco influence.

If it were to be redone, I also envision Ikuhara turning up THE GAY. As a queer person myself, I wish it wasn't danced around so much in the TV series.

After Yuri Kuma Arashi, which amazingly managed to be a show about yuri that delivered almost nothing substantial, and was largely a string of one-sided molestations, I'm not sure I trust Ikuhara to try to go "full gay" anymore. (And I say this as a rabid yuri fan of nearly 20 years.)

Leave Utena alone. It does not need more, it does not need improvement, it does not need revision. For 17 years it has rightly been regarded as one of the greatest works anime has ever produced. Don't meddle with it.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-12-2016 01:38:55 AM)

#9 | Back to Top10-12-2016 02:30:11 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Aelanie wrote:

Sailor Moon Crystal was a mistake, and is inferior to and disrespectful toward the original anime, which (whatever Takeuchi wants to believe) is what actually made Sailor Moon successful as a franchise.

It's been very, very successful. It's made a lot of people happy. The creator really likes it. And, it was instrumental in changing how anime and manga copyright and trademark are enforced in China. (That's a different level of accomplishment, but still, it's an accomplishment and shows that people care about it enough for that.)

Aelanie wrote:

Please no. I do not want today's computer-generated moeblobby stylistics invading Utena's hand-drawn angular lines and art-deco influence.

That's assuming a lot, though. That the same people, even, working on the show again, wouldn't use a similar visual style for it is a big assumption. In any case, the property has been adapted to manga, musicals, television, movies, and novels. It's been adapted plenty and somehow none of that has bled the tv show of relevance or fans.

I'm not a huge fan of the manga adaptation. I think it's probably the weakest thing I've seen from any of the involved parties. But, I'm glad it exists for folks who like it, and it doesn't make the musical worse for me. I love the musical. I think it's fun and absurd and gets across some things smoother than other versions do. The movie is hella good. But, they're not the tv show and the tv show isn't them. Another tv show would, just like the three tv versions of Sailor Moon that we've had, be its own thing. No one is required to like any of them, but they can't really taint or change the others just by existing, and why deny potential fans their thing?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10 | Back to Top10-12-2016 06:12:14 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

That would pretty much be guaranteed.

Ikuhara has stated that every version of SKU is deliberately different from the previous version.

Ergo...

The manga is not the TV series is not the movie is not the movie manga is not the stageplays.

All of them have common characters, setting, and theme, but the events and narratives are typically changed with each new version of it.

If SKU were to ever see another 39 or so episode series, it would not be a remake of the show we already love. It would be something that resembles it, but deliberately altered to stand alone as its own narrative.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#11 | Back to Top10-12-2016 02:09:09 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

You all have really good points. Honestly I think that the re-release that will soon be coming out may spark interest for a retelling.
Improved animation, less repitition to some extent, and less dancing around the love between Anthy and Utena. emot-biggrin

#12 | Back to Top10-12-2016 03:53:16 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

loslac wrote:

You all have really good points. Honestly I think that the re-release that will soon be coming out may spark interest for a retelling.
Improved animation, less repitition to some extent, and less dancing around the love between Anthy and Utena. emot-biggrin

I think the repetition is one of the show's best features. It reuses footage rhythmically, almost ceremonially.

And, I like the dancing around, for that matter, because it really takes its time to spell out for us just how flat ignorant and very very young Utena really is. She doesn't really know anything. And, if it went to a much more sexual relationship immediately, given the eventual reveal of extreme power and age difference, Anthy could come of astonishingly, perhaps irrecoverably bad.

#13 | Back to Top10-12-2016 05:02:42 PM

loslac
Wakaba Wrangler

And, I like the dancing around, for that matter, because it really takes its time to spell out for us just how flat ignorant and very very young Utena really is. She doesn't really know anything. And, if it went to a much more sexual relationship immediately, given the eventual reveal of extreme power and age difference, Anthy could come of astonishingly, perhaps irrecoverably bad.

Personally I liked the way the movie did it. Their relationship between Anthy and Utena was not too much but not to little.

Also I realize that sexual behavior between Utena and Anthy would be pretty f'ed up! I mean they are 8th graders ffs!

Last edited by loslac (10-12-2016 05:18:54 PM)

#14 | Back to Top10-12-2016 05:23:08 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

loslac wrote:

Also I realize that sexual behavior between Utena and Anthy would be pretty f'ed up! I mean they are 8th graders ffs!

I don't think the sexual exploration of junior high students is uncommon. Especially when there are raging hormonal changes happening with the body about that time. I remember stumbling across, essentially, a sexual education comic in a Japanese comic magazine targeting 4th graders. I told my Japanese friend I couldn't believe it, but she didn't blink an eyelid at the material and said it was important for them to have sex safely when the time came. *shrugs* Japan just doesn't have the puritanical history that Americans have when it comes to sex.

loslac wrote:

I think the repetition is one of the show's best features. It reuses footage rhythmically, almost ceremonially.

I agree. I love the repetition. It's quite poetic. I think why people find this frustrating is because they aren't looking at the repetition as a principal of design, or as a flower of rhetoric. They don't think it moves the story forward, because they are so used to Hollywood romps. They are looking for substance, when the goal was style. If they took a moment to look at it stylistically, perhaps they would realize how beautiful it was.

http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/Figu … tition.htm

Aelaine wrote:

There are a lot of things I want to say about the animation, because there are numerous flaws with it. I'm not talking about "technical fireworks" I'm talking about things that are, in fact, wrong. I just don't have the time or the energy to lay it out here right now.

Moreover, if anyone thinks that Utena is somehow this shinning example of a perfect work devoid of CGI, you are fooling yourselves. The TV Series and the Movie both utilized CGI. What is more, the CGI used in Utena feels much more out of place than many modern shows that blend the two mediums together. I am not a fan of over reliance on a computer, but there are things that computer generated imagery can do demonstrably better (i.e. particle systems, displacement maps, etc.). Computer usage does not also entail an end to stylization. I love the look of stylized matte paintings that add a hand crafted feel to otherwise overdone 3D animation. (Side story: The only thing that keeps me watching Star Wars Rebels is the superb writing and the gorgeous matte paintings. Otherwise, I would have checked out a long time ago for such jarring 3D animation. I almost didn't give it a chance...) While the multi-plane camera produces a gorgeous effect, I have also seen it done wrong. What I am trying to say is that the parallax achieved in the snow forest scene in Wolf Children is a perfect example of doing 3D right.

Just because a computer is used as an aid, it does not imply that animation is no longer hand drawn...that is what cintiqs are for. Moreover, computer usage does not dictate the style of the figure, or that characters appear moeblobbly, a stylized choice you seem to abhor. And lastly, a new incarnation would not invade or tamper with your beloved original series.

I speak as an animator.

Last edited by barafubuki (10-12-2016 06:36:22 PM)

#15 | Back to Top10-12-2016 06:09:44 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I am unsure of how to feel about a potential remake. On one hand, an interesting and fresh addition to the SKU universe would be great but odds are it will be a disaster or at least fail completely when held up to the original.

I would probably prefer a completely new anime that was influenced by SKU.

#16 | Back to Top10-12-2016 06:32:23 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

barafubuki wrote:

computer usage does not dictate the style

You're right, it does not. My point though, is that any "remake" of Utena would be at great risk of having its style compromised by the modern aesthetics of commercial anime, which is all too often...

moeblobby, a stylized choice you seem to abhor.

I don't abhor it, but again, it is a style that has become far too prevalent, erasing older styles and marginalizing deviations from it. This has been the case for some years now, and as a lover of many different styles and varieties of animated aesthetic, I consider this unfortunate at best. Ikuhara's own recent works have fully bowed to those stylistics, especially YKA.

I speak as an animator.

I here omit a sarcastic remark about how much more you must know than professional, career Japanese animators. Rather, I appeal to your supposed knowledge by suggesting that in that case, you must surely know how expensive and difficult animation is, and that without a wealth of talent and money - especially difficult to acquire for a derivative/remake project - the results can be disastrous. Again I point to the the debacle that was Sailor Moon Crystal before an injection of Precure budget and experienced staff mitigated the issues. I admit to not hating the third season of SMC, even liking parts of it. Even then, with such a drastic improvement, I still consider it in no way a worthy descendant to the original.

Happily, I consider the chance of a late-coming addition to the Utena franchise quite soundly impossible. Ikuhara is a very smart man and knows he caught lightning in a bottle with Utena. It is clear from his comments in interviews that he considers it his masterpiece and, I'm sure, has no desire to try to revisit or improve upon it, especially without all the members of the Be-Papas on board, which would be a very difficult thing to resurrect. So, despite ill-considered dreams to the contrary, Utena and its legacy will remain thankfully undisturbed.

Honestly, at this point, you just sound like an elitist.

If a desire to see a beautiful and excellent thing be left alone, untrampled by ill-advised attempts to milk more from it than was ever intended, makes me an "elitist" in your eyes, so be it.

On a different note:

loslac wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/sghCeb2.jpg

These are not fourteen year olds, whatever number has been officially assigned to them. If you watch anime for any length of time, you will soon come to realize that like many anime and manga characters, the cast of Utena are victims of what I like to call the Five Year Rule: for any anime/manga character whose age is officially stated, add five years to that number to arrive at a more realistic age that more closely matches what they actually look and behave like. The cast neither looks nor behaves like their official ages, but now add five years. Both mentally and physically, Utena makes far more sense as a nineteen year old, as does this age adjustment on the rest of the cast in turn. Again, this is nothing unusual; anime and manga characters are routinely assigned numerical ages much younger than they look and act. This has to do with - to put it charitably - Japan's "fascination" with the time of youth and the state of being young.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-12-2016 06:46:17 PM)

#17 | Back to Top10-12-2016 06:48:41 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Aelanie wrote:

I here omit a sarcastic remark about how much more you must know than professional, career Japanese animators. Rather, I appeal to your supposed knowledge by suggesting that in that case, you must surely know how expensive and difficult animation is, and that without a wealth of talent and money - especially difficult to acquire for a derivative/remake project - the results can be disastrous.

As you will see from my previous comments, I am actually not in favor of demanding a remake. I am just simply not opposed to one happening either. I think you are right, I don't think a remake will happen, but to confrontationally oppose an individual's speculation and to dictate your own taste in animation onto other people is rather elitist. For someone who wants to sarcastically remark about my ignorance of the Japanese animation world (whatever the degree of that is), you are stubbornly set in your own ideas about what Utena should be for everyone else.

#18 | Back to Top10-12-2016 06:56:08 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I made no dictation. As directly solicited in the original post, I have given my honest opinions on the subject - born of passionate conviction, certainly - and no more. My only stipulation about "what Utena should be" is that it should be what it is.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-12-2016 06:57:40 PM)

#19 | Back to Top10-12-2016 08:14:29 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Aelanie wrote:

I made no dictation. As directly solicited in the original post, I have given my honest opinions on the subject - born of passionate conviction, certainly - and no more. My only stipulation about "what Utena should be" is that it should be what it is.

"I will omit a sarcastic response," is leading, on its own. It's a form of attack pretending to be patience or kindness.

Aside from that, I do question whether remaking or adapting material is more likely to be disastrous, or how likely it would be that someone would remake or re-adapt Utena "without a wealth of talent and money."

There have been plenty of remakes, sequels, or re-adaptations in anime that have been both successful and critically lauded. There are plenty of original productions that are neither. The first time something is done in a medium is not necessarily the time it will be done best or most successfully.

The Ring was a relatively successful tv production and a far more successful theatrical film, an American remake of which has not tempered or bled dry in any way.

The Wizard of Oz silent shorts and the MGM movie underperformed at the box office, with the silent films now being heralded for their technical achievements, including the first set film score and the MGM movie being televised with regularity in the US for over fifty years now.

There have been a variety of Harlock productions, Neon Genesis Evangelion has been readapted in animation a few times, Sailor Moon has had three successful television adaptations, etc.

#20 | Back to Top10-12-2016 08:47:31 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

"I will omit a sarcastic response," is leading, on its own. It's a form of attack pretending to be patience or kindness.

No, it was me candidly admitting that I had felt a strong temptation to do so, but instead I simply pointed the impulse out as an observation, and then tried to turn it into something less abrasive. I think you know me well enough, DD, to know that if I had genuinely wanted to carry through with an attack, I probably would have. In this case, I recognized it as unwarranted.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-12-2016 08:58:03 PM)

#21 | Back to Top10-13-2016 03:55:14 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

All things considered, I don't think a remake is very likely to happen. It is true that there has been a great interest in recent times for even older anime, Jojo immediately comes to mind, but all the remakes/reboots/retellings have a very vast fanbase. SKU, on the other hand, is somewhat niche.

Of course, it can happen but I doubt it will.

#22 | Back to Top10-16-2016 06:51:47 PM

Revolutionary
Saionji Slapper

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Utena and Anthy's relationship should be made more explicit in a remake. I like it the way it is, that a person can decide whether U & A are more than friends, and can be correct either way. Also, I feel like them being in love kind of spoils the 'prince' message for me. (I feel like a prince should try to save the girl even if s/he doesn't love her, and the idea that Utena couldn't save Anthy could be chalked up to Utena not being 'princely' enough, even though the intended goal is that princes don't exist, period. But that's just the way I see it.)

Could a remake happen?: Maybe, but I would either want the show either redone in a new animation style keeping the entire story/script/events intact or a straight up sequel.

Rule 1: You can never be too sure what will happen next... -Ruby Redfort

#23 | Back to Top10-17-2016 10:47:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Revolutionary wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Utena and Anthy's relationship should be made more explicit in a remake. I like it the way it is, that a person can decide whether U & A are more than friends, and can be correct either way.

Seconded. emot-smile That ambiguity was a huge selling point for me.

I'd love a remake. At best remakes can outdo their originals. There are plenty of instances of remakes being better than the original work. It's not the most common result, no, but it can and does happen. At worst, remakes can at least bring new blood to the original work. I was never a Sailor Moon fan so I won't comment on Crystal's quality, but if it made a few kids watch the original that wouldn't have otherwise, then it's a net positive, if you ask me.

I don't assume a remake would outdo the series. Quite the opposite. But it would introduce people to the world and some would discover the original thereby. That's great. I invite that even given how likely that the things I love most in the series would be the first things on the chopping block in a remake. The ambiguities and implications, the horrifying sexual politics and darkness. Enokido's contributions, especially, are part of what worked for me. Ikuhara creates this bizarre dreamscape, but more and more it's clear to me that it's Enokido and the rest of be-Papas that took that dreamscape and played in it, pushing the limits of storytelling with ideas and relationships that would only be plausible there. A remake, especially if it's headed entirely by Ikuhara, would definitely show us that dreamscape again, but like the movie, it would probably lack the depth of storytelling that sold that environment for me.

The more I think about it, the clearer it is to me that I would hate the remake. Yet, I would still invite it, watch it, and be glad it happened. Hell, I'm glad the movie happened and it took a massive steaming load on everything I enjoyed in the show.

Ideally, I'd love to see the original, reanimated, with the original script and even vocals kept. This would be dope as hell. Never going to happen. We'd get the Eva Rebuilds. They're awful. But holy shit are they certainly A Thing That Has Happened. That's why I'd be for it either way. We're not going to get a lackluster vague disappointment, ie. The Hobbit movies. We'll get either something awesome (not likely), or something so completely epic in its awfulness that you won't be able to look away.

As an aside, you know what would be amazing? If they animated a series of omake shorts for SKU. The same sort that often followed regular episodes in that time period, and SKU just didn't get them. A series of five or six minute ridiculous chibi retellings of the show. Chibi Saionji v Utena that ends with an enormous bamboo splinter in Saionji's face. Chibi Touga stripping Utena in the duel arena and then blushing when she is apparently wearing no underwear. Chibi Akio getting googly eyes while he talks about Lucifer. Chibi Anthy appearing to jump to her death but wearing bungee gear and jumping over a massive trampoline.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#24 | Back to Top11-28-2016 11:33:23 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

There's a big fallacy in fandoms when it comes to new versions of works. Part of it stems from the misuse of the words "remake". Ultimately, unless you're doing a shot-for-shot thing, a remake of anything other than a video game is going to be significantly different no matter what. I'm not an Eva buff (unfortunately) but Rebuild of Evangelion made it very clear that a "remake", in anime terms, becomes much more like a totally different continuity, under the right hands. Utena having come from the same time period, art movement, and sharing staff, a new Utena project would almost 100percent be a very different story. And I would love that.

Yet there's always people who say something like, "why remake it? you can't improve it", which is silly, because we ALL know that art doesn't work like that. Obviously, improvement would never be the goal.

im a shadow play girl irl

Board footer