This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-12-2007 09:22:06 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Re: Rape and molestation.

I'm not going to fight back, I don't want a flame war. I remain true to what I said in the first post. Rape and molestation is a very serious subject. I did not realize how offensive my posts were thereafter.
I apologize if I did offend anyone. I already admitted how many of my loved ones were damaged by the very thing we're discussing. I'd prefer not to go into detail about it because, frankly, I didn't ask their permission to share.
Can't we all just get along?

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#27 | Back to Top09-12-2007 09:26:00 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Archambeau wrote:

Persephone wrote:

Everything counts. I know I was raped in the ass when I worked at steak n' shake, but the tips were good!emot-biggrin

You did not seriously just trivialize this subject like that, did you?

I must say, I think the most repellent thing about each of your threads is that you're bringing up uncomfortable, sensitive topics, then treating them like jokes, if not invalidating and outright criticizing those who do take the time to post honestly.  You're making yourself look like an idiot, and I highly doubt you're winning any favor from a single member here for your complete lack of tact.

I don't think that she means to be tactless, or trivialize it. I think that she was trying to make it a little more comfortable. Please give the girl a break. :|

*sigh* I'm kinda oblivious to some of the things I say. I was merely agreeing with gio. But I suppose I blew it out of proportion.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#28 | Back to Top09-13-2007 10:26:49 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

blah blah blah, Persephone saying the tips thing causing a flair up in the thread, yada yada..

You know, that comment  about the tips made me think of how i make fun of myself for my house burning down. People take sad and difficult situations in different ways. Some people take sadness with humor some don't. Its a terrible subject to joke about, but if you are just that sensitive about it, then maybe you shouldn't read this thread, as i would think of it being used for personal healing.

I hate to sound like a jerk, and i'm not in the least bit trying to.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#29 | Back to Top09-13-2007 02:40:34 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

You can always find some sort of humor with any serious subject.  Sometimes that helps people cope with their situation, sometimes it offends them even more.  The key is treading lightly.  On a forum, you can't really gauge how a member might react to a certain response to something like rape or murder.  It's a double-edged sword.  You can allow the discussion to be nothing but serious and probably depressing replies which might sadden those who are victims, or you can add jokes which might cheapen the severity of the issue and offend someone.

#30 | Back to Top09-13-2007 04:06:48 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

very very true. some things werent ment to be joked about i suppose. it seems it is win/lose in this situation cause it may help one person, but it can hurt another.

and thats no good.

#31 | Back to Top09-13-2007 04:46:25 PM

Tenshi
Miki Molester

Frau Eva wrote:

All I would ask of someone is that if they say they're going to have a serious, mature discussion, then do that. Don't potentially mentally scar someone just because you couldn't possibly keep a joke to yourself. If you're not mature enough to handle it like that, then don't say you're going to.

I agree on this one. I mean, joking can, at times help make people more comfortable, but it doesn't when it comes to a subject such as this. If someone had indeed been raped or molested, he/she would need comfort, support and a lot of understanding. Trivializing the matters only makes you feel exposed and vulnerable, makes you remember what happened... It can't be pleasant.

I've never been raped myself, although I was in a situation where I didn't say "no" on time. Nothing serious happened though. I am not traumatised, or scarred because of it, but it did leave a trace on me.

I am being honest here.

It left me unable to have normal sexual contact. I can't stand the sight of a naked man. Seriously. It scares me, it grosses me out, and I can't bear the sight of it. Or touch, as well as anything more than that.

#32 | Back to Top09-13-2007 04:50:32 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

[You know, that comment  about the tips made me think of how i make fun of myself for my house burning down. People take sad and difficult situations in different ways. Some people take sadness with humor some don't. Its a terrible subject to joke about, but if you are just that sensitive about it, then maybe you shouldn't read this thread, as i would think of it being used for personal healing.

I hate to sound like a jerk, and i'm not in the least bit trying to.

Apparently you didn't read a good amount of what me and Arch have been saying. Because anyone who objects to jokes about rape in a safe zone is obviously just too sensitive and should stay out of it, or something. Everyone knows me and Arch are largely humorless and never joke about anything innapropriate like rape, murder, incest, etc. I thought you all obviously knew that I'm only here to criticize SKU for being an evil show that promotes incest and corrupts our precious youth.

While I know that certain people have different ways of coping, A) She was not making a joke to cope with her nonexistant rape, so that point is pretty much moot and B) Safe Zones are all about discussing things that won't make anyone feel trivialized for their experience. That's what the stated purpose was from the very beginning. If you think it goes against the general tone of the board to limit speech anywhere, then no one should make a safe zone here. It's as simple as that. Joke about rape and molestation all you want all over the rest of the board, I don't care.

I object not to the joke itself, but the bait-and-switch with people's emotions. It's just plain irresponsible. All we've been saying is that if it was going to be like that from the very beginning, then a serious safe zone sure as hell shouldn't have even been made. You said that sensitive people shouldn't read it in the first place? How were they supposed to know that from the stated purpose? You're basically criticizing people for believing the stated purpose of the thread. Man, how dare those rape survivors believe us.

Hat Mafia Member

#33 | Back to Top09-13-2007 05:14:50 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Diff'rnt strokes for different folks, it's not just a sexual connotation.
Some people approach pain in a serious manner, some in a comedic manner.
Depends on the person. Looks like we have a bit of both here.

I apologize if I did offend anyone.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#34 | Back to Top09-13-2007 05:16:47 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Non existant is another story, if thats the case, thats awfully rude, you don't need to tell me twice. (which now after reading the thread about 7 more times, i have finally absorbed that it wasn't true) pardon me for having a slow working mind.

BTW, I can never tell if someone is serious, usually you don't say "i was raped" when you weren't. I'm a terrible judge.

Last edited by KissingT.Kiryuu (09-13-2007 05:24:11 PM)

#35 | Back to Top09-13-2007 05:17:10 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

I object not to the joke itself, but the bait-and-switch with people's emotions. It's just plain irresponsible. All we've been saying is that if it was going to be like that from the very beginning, then a serious safe zone sure as hell shouldn't have even been made. You said that sensitive people shouldn't read it in the first place? How were they supposed to know that from the stated purpose? You're basically criticizing people for believing the stated purpose of the thread. Man, how dare those rape survivors believe us.

I don't believe they'd be that critical, they just wouldn't post if they found it offensive.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.

#36 | Back to Top09-13-2007 05:29:18 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Hm, again, I think you're missing the point!

It isn't about being offended by the joke itself, it's about you being misleading and saying that this thread is an open, supportive place, in which you can help people cope with the trauma by playing internet therapist, and then turning that around and making a tasteless joke that completely debases what you'd established.

And by saying "they just wouldn't post if they found it offensive," you're also excluding a group of people after saying that this was some sort of supportive thread for the purpose of victims to congregate.  "Sure, you can post about your traumatic experience -- but only if you won't be hurt by me trivializing it! Otherwise, tough love, chumps."

The appropriate way to handle things would have been to state that this was a thread in which those comfortable with discussing the experience are free to do so, but if not, you still empathize with them, and then actually follow through on that statement. An "I'm sorry, I understand" rather than a "hurhur, rape pays off in the long run!" I mean, honestly.

#37 | Back to Top09-13-2007 05:33:34 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Clarity

Now, if that was said in the beginning i think even i would be angry. Its a shame when i read things it goes *zoom* right over my head. perhaps this topic just won't work out here.

You win some you lose some.

(I also feel like a tard-face now. people, stop being all genius-like)

Last edited by KissingT.Kiryuu (09-13-2007 05:41:08 PM)

#38 | Back to Top09-13-2007 05:46:42 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Archambeau wrote:

Lecture

Though I agree with what you're saying Archambeau, I don't think that I like seeing Persephone being lectured like this in front of everyone over something she's doing to offend everyone. It kind of reminds me of how the talk about how I get too defensive over Shiori was held in front of everyone, and I felt like shit because of it.

What Persephone is doing is offensive, but she's not doing this on purpose. If she was doing this with the intent of making people uncomfortable, then that would be a better reason to yell at her, but she's not. Please go a little easier on her.

#39 | Back to Top09-13-2007 06:00:33 PM

Archambeau

Calling it a lecture seems to imply that it's somewhat undue.  While it is Persephone's thread, I feel that such clarification over why this has upset some people is beneficial to the whole board.  And it isn't "yelling at her," it's clarifying a complaint and trying to insure that all parties involved understand the situation to the fullest.  Some confusion was expressed, so until it's clarified it makes sense for the conversation to continue.

It may be embarrassing to have your actions called into question and publically evaluated, but in this way others can at least, as I've said, hopefully see the reasoning behind it as well and avoid such faux pas in the future.

#40 | Back to Top09-13-2007 06:19:00 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

You've already made your point, Archambeau, and I think reading the past replies will clear up any confusion up until this point.  If you're going to continue breaking apart the misunderstandings given by Persephone, own up to the fact that you're only wanting to perpetuate your opinion on how she handled this topic, and not claim to offer anymore "clarifications."

#41 | Back to Top09-13-2007 06:27:47 PM

Archambeau

Alexandra wrote:

You've already made your point, Archambeau, and I think reading the past replies will clear up any confusion up until this point.  If you're going to continue breaking apart the misunderstandings given by Persephone, own up to the fact that you're only wanting to perpetuate your opinion on how she handled this topic, and not claim to offer anymore "clarifications."

As I do feel I've personally clarified my intentions up to this point, then yes, any more elucidation on the matter would just be redundant!

EDIT: Though, I'd rather you didn't put words into my mouth! emot-smile

Last edited by Archambeau (09-13-2007 06:28:45 PM)

#42 | Back to Top09-13-2007 06:32:38 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

This is the end of the debate over whether what Persephone said was offensive and whether Archie and others were justified in calling her on it.

#43 | Back to Top09-13-2007 06:45:29 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Awww people, let's stop this arguing!

My mother was molested when she was like between 10-18, ok? She's turning 55 in 3 days and if you ask her what the worst experience of her life was - she recounts those days. If you watch a movie or whatever, with implied sexual abuse - she tells a story of her past. My entire childhood she was ON WATCH for sexual abuse. And thank God, she succeeded, but the point is - THAT WOMAN'S LIFE WAS TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY CHARACTERIZED BY THE ABUSE SHE SUFFERED. Her entire life. MY MOM, who I love most in the world, hearing me?

But it's not just my mom, I'm bringing up here. It's like, so many people in the world have that - some shit happen, and it just fucks your life - FOREVER. So, Archambeau has every right in the world to be passionate in her defense of treating the subject with tact and concern. Ha, 1 in 4 children today are molested. And rape, what is is - 30000 per day take place? It's out of control in this world. It's THE WORST problem that we have, in my opinion.

You know, at funerals (with the exception of my fathers), I laugh. Like, I don't know, nervous laughter, I didn't have the afterlife settled in my mind so I wasn't sure how to handle the idea of death - so I'd be laughing, looking at the bodies of my two friends in caskets back when I was a teenager and they died. Laugh to keep from crying, that's an old quote.

The initial joke here, was a joke. She was joking, and now it's been explained that either this specific topic is for jokes, or it's for really telling stories about how rape/molestation have affected you. But NOW, it's a thread about taking sides whether you see the joke was inoffensive, or whether you agree that there should be respect when talking about rape in a thread about 'sharing experiences'.

But COME ON. In South Park, that's how Jimmy solved the war between the Crips and the Bloods, he said "COME ON" and they stopped the war. So come on, let's not stoop to personal attacks and pointing out character flaws. Is this serious, is this a joke? If it's serious, treat it with respect, if it's a joke - let's fantasize. Right, right?

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#44 | Back to Top09-13-2007 06:49:52 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Eeep! I was writing mine, and didn't see your post, satyreyes - when I made the attempt at damage control. Sorry! Sorry!

Ok, to bring the topic to relevance - well we all know rape and child molestation is bad. But what about the laws. They suck right? Oprah wants to change them. But it's so hard to prove an actual case of child molestation unless you catch them in the act - and then with rape, the people rarely report, or if they do, it's way after - OR you get the liars that report rape b/c they're mad at someone. Anybody have any constructive ways we could change this, ideas about what laws would be good ones to impliment to help stop this rampant crime?

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#45 | Back to Top09-13-2007 07:02:37 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

One thing that would help is people coming forward and reporting this sort of thing. its terribly hard for people, i know it is....which is why this one thing can't help alone

Im sure there are hundreds of thousands of people who know of rapes and never reported them or even told their friends about it. Its terribly sensitive. In my mind, i push it aside as any other unwanted memory...but its there and i know it is. im not saddened by it at all...should i be? i feel awkward now...

And what about rape fetish? where the heck does that come from?

#46 | Back to Top09-13-2007 07:03:38 PM

Archambeau

Frosty wrote:

Ok, to bring the topic to relevance - well we all know rape and child molestation is bad. But what about the laws. They suck right? Oprah wants to change them. But it's so hard to prove an actual case of child molestation unless you catch them in the act - and then with rape, the people rarely report, or if they do, it's way after - OR you get the liars that report rape b/c they're mad at someone. Anybody have any constructive ways we could change this, ideas about what laws would be good ones to impliment to help stop this rampant crime?

I think moreso than laws regarding rape, society needs a severe overhaul so as to transform women from objects into people.  Studies have shown that rape rates are drastically higher in cultures where women are considered lesser citizens, and instead something that higher citizens have a "right" to.

Unfortunately, it's far easier to write "rape is the forcible penetration of another" than to change tradition.

#47 | Back to Top09-13-2007 07:10:01 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I admit I'm not as educated on this topic as I probably should be, but I understand that the legal penalties for rape are already extremely severe, including death in some states. There may be some issues with necessary criteria for proof, and certainly not all cases are handled fairly, but that's an extremely complicated issue that infects much of the American legal system. Adjusting criteria for "rape" vs "sexual assault" vs "aggravated sexual assault" vs "forcible sodomy", etc. etc. might well be in order though.

Far more important in my opinion is education. In particular, people should be taught in school things they can do to avoid being assaulted, such as self-defense, situational awareness, etc.

Most important of all though is figuring out some way to make things easier on the victims. The fact that rape is so often unreported is a serious problem, and I strongly suspect that a great deal of the trauma resulting from rape comes from the feelings of shame and even guilt that can be associated with it. Of course, I'm not a psychologist.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#48 | Back to Top09-13-2007 07:15:09 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Archambeau wrote:

I think moreso than laws regarding rape, society needs a severe overhaul so as to transform women from objects into people.

I agree.  We see all these women half naked dancing beside rappers and musicians on television, family sitcoms where the husband is an ugly oaf while the woman is beautiful and pretty much a "trophy wife", magazines like Playboy and Maxim shoving pictures of women's bodies in people's faces without any regard to who these women are, and the list can go on.

I'm not saying we can't have beautiful, sexy women showing off their bikinis once and a while.  But when sex sells and men prefer to see these "generic" models flaunting their bodies, it may send a message that, "Hey, women like to be seen like this, who cares what they think, just pick one up at the bar and bang her!"

#49 | Back to Top09-13-2007 07:28:29 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

I think we had a thread on women being treated as objects as opposed to human beings. its pretty sick.
Although i wouldn't wholly blame it on the media, there are women like that anyway! if a woman like Susan B. Anthony were alive today, she would keel over anyway from the lack of respect a lot of woman are giving themselves! Selling themselves as just a pair of tits.

years of suffrage....years of struggle for equality and where did it go? rape, molestation, and nothing but being viewed as a tool for sex...

o.o *comes back to reality* wha.....

#50 | Back to Top09-13-2007 07:33:21 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Frosty wrote:

My mother was molested when she was like between 10-18, ok? She's turning 55 in 3 days and if you ask her what the worst experience of her life was - she recounts those days. If you watch a movie or whatever, with implied sexual abuse - she tells a story of her past. My entire childhood she was ON WATCH for sexual abuse. And thank God, she succeeded, but the point is - THAT WOMAN'S LIFE WAS TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY CHARACTERIZED BY THE ABUSE SHE SUFFERED. Her entire life. MY MOM, who I love most in the world, hearing me?

Rape really does to horrible things to people psychologically. My cousin was raped and abused by her father, and even though she was in her twenties, she was still suffering because of this. I heard my aunt mention to some of her friends that she had the word, "Die," permanently carved into her wrist before she really did die. (She didn't die from suicide, or at least I'm pretty sure that she didn't. But she didn't die in an accident either... I'm not sure. I was really young when it happened, and I haven't asked about it ever since.) My point is that what had happened back then was still affecting her after all that time, and she didn't know to tell her mother that she was being abused like this for a long time.

Edit: I'm sad now... emot-frown I think that maybe I'll spend time with my aunt next weekend.

Last edited by Razara (09-13-2007 07:39:04 PM)

Board footer