This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-20-2006 10:50:57 AM

jmie5
Precious One

Re: Pet Peeves In Utena Fanfiction

Giovanna wrote:

Ivy-chan wrote:

I read a fanfic where post-revolution Touga is living with Saionji in a ghetto American neighborhood (don't know where), and he refers to his car as 'The Akio Car.'

I...what...emot-confused

Maybe I need to put the psyduck emoticon here. Aside from the obvious, what in god's name lands those two in a ghetto American neighborhood. Upper East Side, yes. Harlem, no.

Any fic where Akio, Touga, or Saionji end up in America demands they live in NYC. So I have proclaimed. Get writing.

I think I've read that fic!

And although it grated on me, I thought it was pretty darn funny, Saionji waking up to their neighbor playing The Ghetto Anthem or The Ghetto Lullaby or some song that's the ghetto equivalent to "America, Fuck Yeah!" with "Ghetto" in the title. 

I wanted to see him complain and get berat up by his neighbors.  And... I can't believe those two were living together.  Oh, the non-sexual possibilities! etc-love (My mind isn't always in the gutter.)

#52 | Back to Top11-20-2006 12:19:07 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Hinotori wrote:
Most sites without any major content filtering lend themselves to the odder aspects of fandom. Riddle  me this: Where on the internet are you most likely to find Violet Beuregarde(of Willy Wonka gum fame) hentai?

Back before ff.net got rid of it's NC-17 material, I once saw a Spongebob/Patrick hentai fanfic.  I read it for fun because I just couldn't believe that it was a serious story. (The author attempted to make it serious, though.)  It involved Patrick putting his arms in Spongebob's pores... emot-gonk

Anyway, my major Utena petpeeve is when people ruin Mikage's character in their stories.  He's my favorite character in the series, so most of the fanfics I read tend to be about him or at least have him somewhere in the story.  Usually the ones I read are good...but there are some stories that start out promising and go downhill.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#53 | Back to Top11-20-2006 01:28:25 PM

Nariel
Miki Molester

I absolutely hate when they mess up a characters personality entirely! I just read a really really awful fic where Miki was meant to have left Ohtori and in the fic this equated to him going and getting a load of prostitutes, killling Kozue by strangling her with an inflatable piano (yes it's true) and then completely losing it and dying in a pool of booze outside a pub called the 'Sunlit Garden'. It was awful. I also hate it when you get fantastic characterization in the beginning but then the author loses it half way through due to laziness and it 'fitting in with the story'. Juri would not have a breakdown, confess all to Saionji then make a suicide pact with Akio. Just no.emot-mad

The ruler of the universe has spoken.

#54 | Back to Top11-20-2006 02:43:18 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Nariel wrote:

Juri would not have a breakdown, confess all to Saionji then make a suicide pact with Akio. Just no.emot-mad

My god, say it ain't so... just hearing of that sort of fanfic burns.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#55 | Back to Top11-20-2006 11:05:57 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

jmie5 wrote:

Lightice wrote:

Hinotori wrote:

Most sites without any major content filtering lend themselves to the odder aspects of fandom. Riddle  me this: Where on the internet are you most likely to find Violet Beuregarde(of Willy Wonka gum fame) hentai?

I'm not sure if I want to know, but tell me, so I can check out, myself.emot-rolleyes

... Adultfanfiction.net?  emot-confused
I wouldn't have the slightest clue, but it sounds funny, so I'd like to know, too.

Have fun searching "Blueberry girl" on deviantart. These drawings also have regular threads on 4chan's hentai board.

Inflation is the one fetish I'll never understand. o.o

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#56 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:45:25 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Juri might have a breakdown, but it would be a neat, ordered breakdown and she'd hide until the whole thing passed.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#57 | Back to Top11-21-2006 06:16:25 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Nariel wrote:

Juri would not have a breakdown, confess all to Saionji then make a suicide pact with Akio. Just no.emot-mad

I was buying it (sorta) until the suicide pact with Akio. How the hell does that happen? Akio's too busy having sex to commit suicide, especially with Juri, christ.

emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#58 | Back to Top11-21-2006 07:00:32 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Nariel wrote:

I just read a really really awful fic where Miki was meant to have left Ohtori and in the fic this equated to him going and getting a load of prostitutes, killling Kozue by strangling her with an inflatable piano (yes it's true) and then completely losing it and dying in a pool of booze outside a pub called the 'Sunlit Garden'.

I need to read that. LINK.

#59 | Back to Top11-21-2006 11:24:25 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Nariel wrote:

I absolutely hate when they mess up a characters personality entirely! I just read a really really awful fic where Miki was meant to have left Ohtori and in the fic this equated to him going and getting a load of prostitutes, killling Kozue by strangling her with an inflatable piano (yes it's true) and then completely losing it and dying in a pool of booze outside a pub called the 'Sunlit Garden'. It was awful. I also hate it when you get fantastic characterization in the beginning but then the author loses it half way through due to laziness and it 'fitting in with the story'. Juri would not have a breakdown, confess all to Saionji then make a suicide pact with Akio. Just no.emot-mad

I... feel that I must bleach my brain just from reading your description of that fic.

#60 | Back to Top11-21-2006 04:58:32 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Nariel wrote:

I was buying it (sorta) until the suicide pact with Akio. How the hell does that happen? Akio's too busy having sex to commit suicide, especially with Juri, christ.

emot-confused

Besides even if Akio ever did decide to follow a suicide pact, he would take a quick coma drug while he gives everyone else the real killer drug just so he can wake up afterwards and laugh at the fools.

#61 | Back to Top11-22-2006 12:54:41 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Does somebody need to write the ultimate Utena badfic?

...and is that someone going to end up being me?

#62 | Back to Top11-22-2006 12:47:40 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Does somebody need to write the ultimate Utena badfic?

...and is that someone going to end up being me?

Well, I would certainly read it emot-biggrin

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#63 | Back to Top11-22-2006 01:35:50 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Nariel wrote:

Nessy wrote:

My biggest pet peeve with Utena fanfiction is being forced to read it. emot-rolleyes There was a cute one I accidently stumbled upon the other month about Anthy and Utena becoming real-real people (with real colors of hair and real eyes and all that) the further they got from Ohtori (while Anthy was looking for Utena and all that) and I liked it a lot, but besides that...ehhh...

You mind providing a link, this fic sounds quite good!

Here: http://community.livejournal.com/roseli … tml#cutid1

#64 | Back to Top11-22-2006 02:05:42 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm certainly willing. I have some horrible ideas rolling around in my head. (Most of them involve Mary Sue'ing my way into Chu Chu's character. ;>)

This needs to be a colaborative effort.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#65 | Back to Top11-22-2006 11:23:05 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Hinotori wrote:

I'm certainly willing. I have some horrible ideas rolling around in my head. (Most of them involve Mary Sue'ing my way into Chu Chu's character. ;>)

This needs to be a colaborative effort.

Well one of the primary badfic types is the round robin. Especially when the different writers focus on different characters and have completely different styles but try to package the story as one contiguous unit.

#66 | Back to Top11-23-2006 02:56:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm only familiar with the forum pick up and go type, where people pick up the story where the last poster left off.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#67 | Back to Top11-23-2006 08:36:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's probably the most typical way to write a round robin. I'm not sure though, I've never done it myself.

There's no SKU fic on Bad Fanfic! No Biscuit! And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

#68 | Back to Top08-17-2008 03:53:34 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

I think I hurt myself laughing my way through this thread.

What I find annoying is when someone reviews another persons fic and goes, "......oh.....that pairing is it....well you know....I don't really like that pairing.....I like SaionjixJuri.....go read my fanfic..... it's", etc

I just sorta sit there, stunned by the audacity of the little.....how rude is that?

#69 | Back to Top08-18-2008 11:58:36 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Coco Melancholy wrote:

What I find annoying is when someone reviews another persons fic and goes, "......oh.....that pairing is it....well you know....I don't really like that pairing.....I like SaionjixJuri.....go read my fanfic..... it's", etc

I just sorta sit there, stunned by the audacity of the little.....how rude is that?

Okay. Oh my god that happens on my fics all the time! All the time! What is wrong with these people?

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#70 | Back to Top08-18-2008 12:24:16 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Alithea wrote:

Coco Melancholy wrote:

Okay. Oh my god that happens on my fics all the time! All the time! What is wrong with these people?

Don't you just find that annoying, I know it's not a pet peeve with /fanfic/ itself but there I am reading a perfectly wonderful fic and then some little so and so goes and spoils it......why can't you just enjoy it for what it is, (fanfiction is like....sacred to me, next is AMV), and why are you plugging your own work when you should be reviewing.....I find it so disrectful, fair enough if it's like, here's my e-mail, we can talk, share fic's, no, *squeaky irritating voice* I don't like that pairing, I like Juri and Saionji making babies and declaring their undying love *rolls eyes*. No wonder all the good authors run off and write for other fandoms, I'd run away too. *shrugs* I guess this must just be how trends go.

Funnily enough I don't have any fanfic petpeeves, I'm pretty much like this in every fandom, I read and remember what I like and when people have discussions about characters doing irritating things I just kinda blink, passively, and nod, avoiding bad fic has never been an issue with me. I have to actually seek bad fic out.

For example you know the moment Utena end's that the Shiori bashing fic's are rocketing, yet....I never find these fic's, *shrug*, every single fic I've read on Shiori handles her character with pity and understanding it's pretty much the reason why I'll *never* write a solo Shiori fic (uploaded or no), I'm completely satisfied, in my world Shiori is a completely appreciated and understood character by fanfic writing fans everywhere.

With me it's never the fanfic but the author, write whatever wacked out crack you want just don't try and trick others or bother them.

#71 | Back to Top08-18-2008 04:00:14 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

You know guys, I love Saionji to death.  But the dude has flaws.  He's not perfect.  He's not 100 % sympathetic and should be instantly forgiven for every single one of his transgressions in the series, and I'm damned tired of Anthy being used as a default to excuse his character and gain him sympathy to the point where the usual awful fanfic stereotype roles are reversed and she is turned into a 2d carboard cut-out villian. 

Neither of them are.

What I mean is, is that he's quite a human character.  He's messed up.  He is complex and interesting and there's just something about him that makes you want to save him and hug him -his not very well hidden insecurities, perhaps.

But Saionji is not an angsting kitten.  He is a very angry, and sometimes downright scary individual.  He's not a complete psychopath, but neither is he a lost little boy needing to be saved by Touga or Wakaba.

So, please, fanfiction writers, even though I too have done it in the past, do not love and write Saionji simply because he is good yaoi-bait or fluff ot angst-bait.  Do not let your favoritism of his character seep into your work and make the prose automatically forgive him.  Give him his anger, his weak arrogance, his goddamn chauvanism, his foolishness, his shame and his violent outlashes. 

Give him depth, fine.  We all know it's there.  Give him his pain and his distrust.  It's canon as well.  Just don't sugarcoat him.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-24-2008 04:33:35 PM)

#72 | Back to Top08-18-2008 09:31:17 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Maybe I need to put the psyduck emoticon here. Aside from the obvious, what in god's name lands those two in a ghetto American neighborhood. Upper East Side, yes. Harlem, no.

Any fic where Akio, Touga, or Saionji end up in America demands they live in NYC. So I have proclaimed. Get writing.

I don't know.  I can see those guys doing pretty well in, say, Las Vegas...

#73 | Back to Top08-18-2008 10:17:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

OC's are just never going to interest me.  Sorry.

I was all over Kageyaku Means To Shine.  It was well written.  Then there was some mild Shiori-bashing and then the story stopped having anything to do with the main SKU cast and focused on two OC characters and just.  I lost interest.

Really, I know, I'm sorry, there are some brilliant OC's out there that definetly aren't Mary-Sues, but they are not what I want to read about when reading SKU fanfiction.  I want to read about SKU characters. 

Also.  Why do so many Anthy/Utena AU fics focus so much on bashing Saionji, Akio and Touga?

Le basic plot of so many AU's:

Anthy and Utena are in love, and Anthy is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo a victim.  Usually of a sexual nature.  Saionji is a big bad meanie who wants Anthy and hits her alot and is usually a jock, or played for scary-ness or for laughs.  He's the minor villian, though, and you usually don't see any mention of him past the first chapter that sets him up hurting Anthy in order for Utena to save her, unless he and Touga later on gang-rape her.  Afterwords, Touga is introduced, and it is made very clear that he is evil, though unlike Saionji, apparently, also attractive and smart.  He hits on Utena and challenges the main pairing and causes much TL;DR, and all he cares about is stealing/being in love with/raping Utena.  It's not about power or amusement or personal gain, it's more about how desirable the author wants to make Utena appear by exacerbating Touga's manipulations of her in the series, or in other words, beat you over the head with it.  Then, Akio will enter, and will have nothing to do sexually with Touga, because Touga wants Utena, don't you understand?  Akio is way evil, but not smart, and also not as cool as Touga either, but he wants Utena though, and he has a very villianous laugh to prove it. He's also violent for no reason, with magikal powers that are awesome but evil (very evil). He rapes Anthy alotalot, and shags/rapes Utena too, but eventually she kills him and Touga, or Touga helps her kill him (because really Touga is kinda princely and hot), and then Utena and Anthy live happily. ever. after.  And Juri's in there too being awesome and very 'out' and making all the best comments, but Utena is still way better and stuff.

TEH END.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-18-2008 10:18:32 PM)

#74 | Back to Top08-20-2008 06:59:14 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Also.  Why do so many Anthy/Utena AU fics focus so much on bashing Saionji, Akio and Touga?

Could it be that people like to pretend they hate what they actually like? It pains me to read comments not only fictions which blatantly attack Touga's character like he doesn't deserve understanding on a profound level. Looking down at him simply for his philandering antics is unfair in my opinion. Don't we all have demons inside of us? No one is perfect after all. It's so easy to point out someone's flaw but never our own. What makes anime/manga interesting on a Japanese perspective is the sensitivity that nothing happens by chance and everything has a reason.

As for my pet peeves, ( well, I won't call it pet peeves; more like something I don't enjoy reading to the fullest though I appreciate the piece for the author's effort and hard work ), it would be including characters that come from a different anime/game/manga series. I don't mind violence, drugs, and drama. If the original storyline has expressed some suggestive scenes, erotica is a must else it wouldn't interest me in the slightest. OC(s) are fine-as long as-the writer makes a decent effort to associate these characters with the existing ones and have them blend in with the story as opposed to having them ruin the plot. I can't picture them taking the lead in all honesty; more like background characters.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#75 | Back to Top08-20-2008 09:05:55 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

You know, I think I agree that they might do better in Vegas. I mean, Vegas is basically all illusion and fantasy with no substance. Akio would own the most outrageous casino on the strip: Dios's Castle, where all the workers dress up as princes and princesses and take your money. school-sherlock

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Le basic plot of so many AU's:

Anthy and Utena are in love, and Anthy is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo a victim.  Usually of a sexual nature.  Saionji is a big bad meanie who wants Anthy and hits her alot and is usually a jock, or played for scary-ness or for laughs.  He's the minor villian, though, and you usually don't see any mention of him past the first chapter that sets him up hurting Anthy in order for Utena to save her, unless he and Touga later on gang-rape her.  Afterwords, Touga is introduced, and it is made very clear that he is evil, though unlike Saionji, apparently, also attractive and smart.  He hits on Utena and challenges the main pairing and causes much TL;DR, and all he cares about is stealing/being in love with/raping Utena.  It's not about power or amusement or personal gain, it's more about how desirable the author wants to make Utena appear by exacerbating Touga's manipulations of her in the series, or in other words, beat you over the head with it.  Then, Akio will enter, and will have nothing to do sexually with Touga, because Touga wants Utena, don't you understand?  Akio is way evil, but not smart, and also not as cool as Touga either, but he wants Utena though, and he has a very villianous laugh to prove it. He's also violent for no reason, with magikal powers that are awesome but evil (very evil). He rapes Anthy alotalot, and shags/rapes Utena too, but eventually she kills him and Touga, or Touga helps her kill him (because really Touga is kinda princely and hot), and then Utena and Anthy live happily. ever. after.  And Juri's in there too being awesome and very 'out' and making all the best comments, but Utena is still way better and stuff.

TEH END.

OH GOD IT'S SO TRUE. It seems like every fic either villifies Anthy and makes Touga a perfect hero, or Anthy's a poor damsel in distress and Touga is a demon. You can't mack on Utena unless you're perfect, apparently.  I think this is why most Anthy/Utena and Touga/Utena bore the crap out of me: because they're not dealing with the real foibles of the characters. If this is all you've gotten out of this series, then forget Utena and go onto the next shiny new animez. emot-mad

Last edited by Frau Eva (08-20-2008 09:07:32 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

Board footer