This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-29-2009 07:56:10 PM

Esmenet
Tenjou Tilter

Personal Quirks?

What physical or verbal quirks do you have?

Mine, that I've noticed:

Physically, I have a tendency to go up and down stairs on my toes (hence why I don't often wear shoes or socks), reach up to touch the tops of doorways as I'm going through them, gesture when I'm listening to expressive music -- this is often rather embarrassing -- and put a hand on the back of my hip/waist if I'm leaning over to pick something up one-handed. I'm trying to purposefully develop a habit of glancing into and around rooms and roads/alleyways as I'm going past them, in case someone/something's going to try and kill me. emot-keke

Verbally, I have about five main modes of speaking: normal-teenager, manga scanlation ("Please, don't worry -- I think everything will definitely be all right!"), Ranma translation (which I find myself using less and less as I'm not currently into that fandom or re-reading the manga -- which, if you've read, you'll definitely know what I'm talking about), fake-British (usually after I've been reading Harry Potter fanfiction or something by a British author), and 19th-century (Lovecraft and Dunsany). I don't often notice which one I'm using unless someone points it out to me, and I'm usually thinking in it before and while I speak.

Does associating everything -- everything -- with Utena count as a mental quirk? If so, I'm well on my way . . .

The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world. [The bird is flying to God. The name of the God is called Abraxas.]

#2 | Back to Top05-30-2009 12:06:40 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Re: Personal Quirks?

Esmenet wrote:

Does associating everything -- everything -- with Utena count as a mental quirk? If so, I'm well on my way . . .

It's more than a quirk, it's an obsession~ emot-rofl

I won't go out the house without kissing, patting or saying goodbye to my cat. Does this count as a quirk?

#3 | Back to Top05-30-2009 04:14:25 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

The posher the person I'm faced with, the more Yorkshire and working-class my accent gets.
I fiddle with my piercings when embarassed. This, unfortunately, can be quite painful if I forget which ones I've had done recently..... emot-keke

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#4 | Back to Top05-30-2009 05:41:36 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

When I feel ignored or embarrassed a little bit, I yawn.

#5 | Back to Top05-30-2009 12:30:01 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

When I have to walk in front of a huge crowd of people, like usually to get across from our Quadrangle to a classroom, I nervously tuck a lock of hair behind my ears. I don't know why I do it, I just do.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#6 | Back to Top05-30-2009 01:22:24 PM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

When I'm nervous, I tend to flip my hair to the right. When I'm watching TV or concentrating on something like playing my trombone or piano or writing, I rock back and forth. When somebody says something that I generally agree with, I say "Riiiiight?". This happens a lot. Anytime I hear the song Snakes On A Plane (Bring It), I get really excited because that's the ringtone for the chick I'm talking to, and I always associate the song with her. When I get mad I have a tendancy to run my hands through my hair a lot. Any time I go out, like to the movies or out to eat, I dress as much like a guy as I can to see the peoples' shock when they hear me speak and realize that I'm a girl. Yeeeeeeeaaaaah. The list can go on.

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#7 | Back to Top05-30-2009 02:03:13 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I pronounce the word for as fer and I always have to make my sandwiches triangular.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#8 | Back to Top06-02-2009 03:43:37 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

When I'm thinking very hard about something, my lips purse. I don't realize it until I come back to myself, and then it kind of embarrasses me.

And, I do that speech thing, as well. My vocabulary and manner of speaking will often change if I read the same thing for an extended period of time. This is one of the reasons I love reading Anne Rice novels. After I've finished one, my vocabulary is always much more flowery and poetic. etc-love

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#9 | Back to Top06-02-2009 04:32:01 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

I am notorious for being a spelling/grammar-Nazi. It's uncontrollable. I also like to use big words that no one knows, even if I don't quite know what they mean.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#10 | Back to Top06-02-2009 05:25:53 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

I correct people's pronuncation. Pisses them off, but I can't help myself. Also I always put everything away where it goes, even if I'm going to be using it an hour later.

20 threads dead so far.

#11 | Back to Top06-03-2009 11:06:21 AM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

My family thinks it's really weird the way I sleep. Unless it's a really warm night, I sleep on my stomach or side with my covers drawn up over my head. You should see my hair in the morning emot-biggrin

I'm also really picky about grammar and spelling, but in my own speech I'm a lot more casual. When I'm nervous, I fix my hair.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#12 | Back to Top06-03-2009 12:55:36 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

I play with cartilage earring when I'm nervous or expectant of something, I crack my knuckles/ neck incessantly, I walk purposely slightly bowlegged when I'm feeling conceited or feeling especially sexy, I use accents when talking to strangers just to see if they'll be able to tell if the accent is natural or not, I speak proper English when I'm talking to anyone when I'm angry, I clean my ears after I take a shower, and when I'm speaking animatedly, I speak with my eyebrows, not my hands. I also correct people's spelling and their pronunciation.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#13 | Back to Top06-03-2009 01:32:50 PM

PrinceoftheLostEternity
Rose Assignee

I have an affinity for the colors green and black. I wear them as often as I can, which isn't that often. I love walking in the rain, no matter how bad the storm is. Lightning or not. I just love it. I hate the sound of crying infants, or crying children at ALL for that matter. It makes me sick when people feel so much pity for themselves that they cry about it. Not saying that I haven't been there, but thinking back it makes me a tad nauseous. I hatehateHAAAAAATE Paula Abdul, and generally even the mention of her name makes me a bit...on edge.

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me can write a bad romance.

The profile formerly known as Prince... oftheLostEternity... was a shared profile, one of whose users hasn't been around for a while.  The other one is now posting as DiddlyPanda.  Wewt!  emot-biggrin

#14 | Back to Top06-03-2009 03:26:23 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Esmenet wrote:

Physically, I have a tendency to go up and down stairs on my toes.

I do the same thing when I go up steep hills.

When I finish a carton of milk, I feel the need to fold it up in a certain way until its flat.

When I am expected to speak a lot of rehearsed lines like I was when I used to do charity goor-knocking, I find myself talking more and more in a peudo-Scotish accent as its the only way U can continue without my voice getting tired.

I eat pizza like a catapillar eats a leaf.

#15 | Back to Top06-03-2009 03:46:35 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I tend not to make eye contact when I am talking to somebody. I play with the frizzy, shorter hairs that grow from the nape of my neck and are on the underside of my ponytail. I tend to press two fingers between my eyes when I am stressed.

#16 | Back to Top06-05-2009 01:54:30 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Oh about milk....I can't eat cereal WITH milk, only dry.

20 threads dead so far.

#17 | Back to Top06-06-2009 01:36:56 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Oh a lot of pronunciation Nazis... *looks worried*
I'm the opposite: my quirk is that I don't correct people even when I know they're wrong, and I get very annoyed when people correct me. emot-redface

My other quirk is that I love to randomly burst into a run. I love running fast, speeding through startled shoppers or up the street, or across the grassy field. The feeling of freedom, of getting somewhere fast, of feeling alive as my blood pounds and my breathing becomes something to focus on: magic.

#18 | Back to Top06-06-2009 11:03:53 AM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

A lot of my quirks have already been mentioned here. emot-wink But I've got some more up my sleeve!

I write words with my hips sometimes. I don't really pay attention to specifically when.

I will lift up one side of my body when I'm driving in the car to "avoid" roads, street signs, or telephone poles.

I absorb other people's quirks, such as scrunching up my face when I say certain things, calling out "brawp" on occasion...

I also sing constantly. I'll sing the things written on signs that I pass, I'll sing songs about my dog, I'll sing to people, I'll just sing songs, I'll just sing sounds. I especially like to sing with a well-placed gargle/rolled "R" here and there; it makes me sound like a raccoon version of Billie Holiday!

I tap and drum on things, of course.

I meow just like a cat.

I use lots of weird voices. Go figure, hmmn? emot-tongue

And I call everyone "dear." My parents, my friends, people I hate, teachers... Everyone.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#19 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:08:30 AM

Frangipangie
Ohtori Paramouri

I tend to tap on wooden surfaces three times to avoid bad luck. I guess it's something I picked up when I lived in Germany.
I also have a habit of always eating my sandwiches into perfect, square, crustless pieces before I finish them.

"I hope you get reincarnated as an animal everyone likes. Like a lamb...
But not an eating lamb."

#20 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:34:48 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Sleeping:  I sleep with the covers over my head with my feet sticking out.  Mother tells me I sleep exactly like her father.

Nervous:  I scratch my neck, tap my foot incessently, rock back and forth, etc. I also find myself counting things for no reason at all.

In choral or symphony rehearsals, I yawn for no reason whatsoever.  It pisses my friends off and usually results in me being thwapped over the head.  I do the same thing when mother drags me to church or have to go anywhere I'd rather not go to.  I'm hardly subtle about it, eithr.

Annoyed: Tendency to mutter to myself.  Drives my mother insane.  Had a school mate ask my friend if I had a mental disorder...yeah.

Laughing: I don't laugh.  I cackle.  Supposedly like Mandark (sp?).  I'm also prone to hand clapping, thigh slapping, desk slamming, head hanging, side rolling, finger pointing (if someone is a victim of fate), and the works.  I am a very evil person.

I think that's all I'd be willing to share at this point.

#21 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:39:40 AM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

I can't sleep if there's light creeping through the cracks on my door. It irritates the hell out of me. I play with my nails when I'm bored, but I don't eat them; I generally rip them apart with my fingers when I'm nervous. When I walk alone in the dark and there isn't noise or I get spooked, I generally grab my neck. I'm not quite sure why. I think it's to make sure I'm still breathing...I also hate when the Republican Party allows Sarah Palin to speak to the press. It gives me hives.

I also laugh at things others don't find funny AT ALL. Like in the Omen when the nanny hangs herself at that huge party. Frickin hilarious! Also, American Psycho. It's basically my favorite movie right now. I can laugh at anything and everything in it.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#22 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:51:11 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

I also hate when the Republican Party allows Sarah Palin to speak to the press. It gives me hives.

You might want to notify your doctor about that.

I also laugh at things others don't find funny AT ALL. Like in the Omen when the nanny hangs herself at that huge party. Frickin hilarious! Also, American Psycho. It's basically my favorite movie right now. I can laugh at anything and everything in it.

Lord, yes.  That's wy I'm not popular at stupid girl gatherings when everyone wants to watch a horror movie as I am prone to laughing my ass of every two minutes when watching a horror movie.  Remember The Haunting?  When the guy gets decapitated: f*cking hilarious.  My friend and I almost cracked up at the end of The Notebook (not a horror movie, obviously, but similar principle), as well, when the old people die.  Great comedic timing.

Last edited by spoon-san (06-13-2009 05:51:47 AM)

#23 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:52:24 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Frangipangie wrote:

I also have a habit of always eating my sandwiches into perfect, square, crustless pieces before I finish them.

NajiMinkin wrote:

I will lift up one side of my body when I'm driving in the car to "avoid" roads, street signs, or telephone poles.

These made me laugh, I thought they were extremely endearing. I used to jump whenever I played Donkey Kong 2 so he would jump higher.

spoon-san wrote:

Laughing: I don't laugh.  I cackle.  Supposedly like Mandark (sp?).  .

From Dexter's Lab?

Quirks include but are not limited to:

Flatten my lips against each other when caught by boyfriend saying something silly or doing something I should feel guilty about.

When sitting for extended periods of time, I would get up, walk a lap around my room and sit down.

Boyfriend and I will sing tunes to each other and usually we will follow with a completely made up one.

I stay up really late and sleep in really late.

#24 | Back to Top06-13-2009 05:55:13 AM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Syora wrote:

From Dexter's Lab?

That's the one.

The DKC2 thing was cute.  I kinda move like that, sometimes, when playing a game.  In a pickle, movement grows more jerky and thus more noticeable.

#25 | Back to Top06-13-2009 06:00:46 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

*races off to make thread about sweet cartoons*

Do you ever steer the controller when playing racing games? lol

spoon-san wrote:

Lord, yes.  That's why I'm not popular at stupid girl gatherings when everyone wants to watch a horror movie as I am prone to laughing my ass of every two minutes when watching a horror movie.  Remember The Haunting?  When the guy gets decapitated: f*cking hilarious.  My friend and I almost cracked up at the end of The Notebook (not a horror movie, obviously, but similar principle), as well, when the old people die.  Great comedic timing.

LOL, you would NOT have fun with us, my friend and I get the shit scared out of us and scream like babies until we pop the ear drums of innocent bystanders. I also cry like a baby during remotely sad parts. I'm a sensitive bitch, but that's OK. ;D

Board footer