This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-07-2012 07:45:07 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Movie-Shiori

What is this chick's deal?
It seems that she loved - or, more accurately, desired - Touga prior to his death. It is likely that she would have been familiar with Utena, and we know that she was a friend of Juri's at this point. It has been suggested that she is End of the World, and she chose the members of the Student Council.
But what does she symbolize? What brought her to Ohtori? Is she dead? Discuss!

#2 | Back to Top04-08-2012 05:58:38 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Re: Movie-Shiori

Personally, I've wondered if movie!Shiori could be considered to be movie!Utena's "shadow", in a sense. (This is for desperate want of a better term, because I fail at Jung forever.) Utena represses the memory of Touga's death, whereas Shiori is not only aware of that event from the start, but she also knows some other messed-up things about him - namely, what his "father" did to him. Also contrast how the two girls deal with the death; Shiori, rather than shutting out the memories like Utena did, instead holds a grudge against Juri and blames her for what happened. She also refuses to move on, and she doesn't seem to like the idea of other people moving on either, hence her going after Anthy as a car in the end.

I can't see her as Ends of the World, though, even if she has been described by Enokido himself as the "greatest darkness" in the film. I think it just speaks volumes about how pathetic movie!Akio is when Shiori comes off as a bigger villain than him. emot-tongue

#3 | Back to Top04-09-2012 08:39:17 PM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

I always saw movie-Shiori in her relationship with Touga as paralleling Anthy/Akio in Akio's absence; like Anthy, she is something of a vehicle (disregarding that she becomes an actual car). But that's based mostly on her drawing that crocodile that foils Chuchu. I still think of the Utena movie as a portrayal of Ohtori Academy without Akio (as we know him, anyway). Akio and Anthy are the characters most extremely and overtly out of character in the movie.

#4 | Back to Top09-03-2012 12:57:23 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Atropos wrote:

What is this chick's deal?
It seems that she loved - or, more accurately, desired - Touga prior to his death. It is likely that she would have been familiar with Utena, and we know that she was a friend of Juri's at this point. It has been suggested that she is End of the World, and she chose the members of the Student Council.
But what does she symbolize? What brought her to Ohtori? Is she dead? Discuss!

Movie-Touga is the perfect prince, such as Juri often tries to be, and he's a dude, which takes care of Shiori's homophobia/concern-for-others'-homophobia, but... he's dead. Dead, dead, deadski.

Meanwhile, her scenes/interaction with Touga is all about her, as much as her ineraction with Juri or anyone else. She's not really attending Touga in any of those exchanges, she's just talking to a mirror who can do her nails.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top09-03-2012 08:35:24 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I invite you to read my in-depth character examination of Movie Touga, which covers the possibilities of his link to Shiori in detail.

(If it please you, also see my examinations of Movie Utena, Anthy, and Akio.)

There are a lot of interpretations as to her relationship to (and influence on) him, but ultimately, she's just a pawn to him in his misguided crusade to turn Utena into his princess. She is absolutely not the one orchestrating the duels in the movie.

As I explain in my examinations, Anthy is. The duels in the movie exist for the sole purpose of finding her a new, true prince, as compared to her brother, who was a false prince.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-04-2012 12:02:49 AM)

#6 | Back to Top09-04-2012 04:12:34 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Aelanie wrote:

As I explain in my examinations, Anthy is. The duels in the movie exist for the sole purpose of finding her a new, true prince, as compared to her brother, who was a false prince.

The 'Shiori as EotW' theory is based on her first appearance in the movie, where she appears to be writing a letter.
Really, that's it.
But considering that she's the ONLY character in the movie to do this, and EotW's trademark is his letter-writing, it seems like a conscious choice made by Ikuhara.
I mean, who the hell would she be writing to otherwise? They're in a school/afterlife/metaphor for adolescence/dying dream surrounded by a car-filled wasteland!

Last edited by Atropos (09-04-2012 04:13:25 PM)

#7 | Back to Top09-04-2012 04:14:26 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

She's probably writing in a diary. Shiori's the self-obsessed type that would want to keep detailed daily notes on who was nice to her, who was mean to her, what boys she thought were checking her out, etc. I never put any significance into it. And there is no "End of the World" in the movie. The whole set-up is completely unlike the TV series.

Really, it's Anthy. She's the one behind everything in the movie. Ikuhara wanted to reverse their roles, and boy did he reverse Anthy's role from the series. I explain it all in my exams.

Last edited by Aelanie (09-04-2012 04:22:36 PM)

#8 | Back to Top09-04-2012 04:33:12 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie2/d/3572-1/Movie_Screen_0311.jpg
The perspective may make it hard to tell, but I don't see anything to suggest that it's a diary.

#9 | Back to Top09-04-2012 04:41:18 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Atropos wrote:

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie2/d/3572-1/ … n_0311.jpg
The perspective may make it hard to tell, but I don't see anything to suggest that it's a diary.

Yes, I looked at the screen. I don't see anything to suggest its a letter either, or indeed anything important at all. She might even just be doing homework.

#10 | Back to Top09-05-2012 06:09:13 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Aelanie wrote:

Yes, I looked at the screen. I don't see anything to suggest its a letter either, or indeed anything important at all. She might even just be doing homework.

Homework, in Utena? emot-rolleyes

(Ok, I know they did homework at least once in the show, but it seems like a rarity.)

#11 | Back to Top09-05-2012 06:14:10 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Lurv wrote:

Aelanie wrote:

Homework, in Utena? emot-rolleyes

(Ok, I know they did homework at least once in the show, but it seems like a rarity.)

Shiori's probably the only character who couldn't get Miki to do hers for her. And, Touga's dead, so his answers are probably out of date. She has to do it!

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#12 | Back to Top09-05-2012 07:05:56 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

No wonder she's so bitter. emot-tongue

#13 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:05:59 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

The only time we see characters in class in the movie, they immediately ditch so that Anthy can exposit to Utena in private.

#14 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:08:22 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Atropos wrote:

The only time we see characters in class in the movie, they immediately ditch so that Anthy can exposit to Utena in private.

Aren't they're still in class during the sketching/disrobing sequence, just not in a classroom?

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (09-05-2012 01:09:05 PM)

#15 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:17:56 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Aren't they're still in class during the sketching/disrobing sequence, just not in a classroom?

Wouldn't the class have ended by the time it took them to get there?

#16 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:21:16 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Atropos wrote:

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Wouldn't the class have ended by the time it took them to get there?

How far away did they go? My memory may be off on this (wouldn't be the first time), but I remember the teacher sending them off in pairs to sketch each other, cut to Utena and Anthy having walked to the observatory. For all I know, they walked two buildings away and stripped down in a scene exactly replicating high school but with more airplane drone.

#17 | Back to Top09-05-2012 02:02:50 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

It shows them running through a variety of bizarre locations (with Anthy gaining an increasing lead) and then a slow zoom into the tower. Utena appears to be out of breath.
(I pretty much memorized the movie. emot-frown I'm so lame...)

#18 | Back to Top07-10-2014 12:52:40 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I think that Shiori is as phantom to Anthy as Touga to Utena. She seems to be a princess, she has a prince and control with no responsibility. Anthy rejects that part of her personality, it´s her darker side. I think that movie!Shiori is to Anthy like a siren compared to a mermaid. She spellbounds her in her castle.
Shiori appears after Touga´s rape scene and smiles while Anthy rejected the incestuous part of her sexuality.
Shiori seems to enjoy sex with her Prince while Anthy is more drawn to women after being punished for enjoying it (¨Weren´t you asleep?¨).
Shiori is focused on exterior goals - Shiori!car doesn´t want Anthy to be free - while Anthy is focused on interior ones. That´s why Shiori wants her to fail and Shiori´s lack of autonomy is the reason why she cannot reach her Adolescence.

I wonder if Akio x Dios dynamic is similar, where Akio is sexual and Dios is not. It would mean that a witch is basically a woman that have sex with men (and enjoys it!), so a sexualized princess turns into a witch. emot-confused

#19 | Back to Top07-25-2014 10:26:38 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Shitori was a jealous slut. Her getting wrecked was the best moment in the entire movie.

#20 | Back to Top07-26-2014 03:35:18 PM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

Shitori was a jealous slut. Her getting wrecked was the best moment in the entire movie.

Since when sleeping with one person make someone a slut? emot-rolleyes

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#21 | Back to Top07-26-2014 04:51:38 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

One could easily argue the same thing about Anthy in the show. So was seeing her stabbed by the swords of hate cathartic for you?

Shiori definitely has a lot to hate about her. She's manipulative, petty, and spiteful. But seriously, she still doesn't deserve to have her status of 'human-being' be brought down to 'whore.'

Also, why does Kozue seem to get a pass but Shiori doesn't? In the movie Kozue takes a knife to Miki's neck because of the mere thought that he might be interested in someone else. Kozue is just as petty and jealous as Shiori is in both incarnations. She just happens to be more hands-on.

#22 | Back to Top07-26-2014 09:25:38 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Utena is not the only person so special she can turn into a car. Or, talk to Touga. Or, eat Anthy.

And unlike Wakaba, or Kozue, or Ms. Tenjo in car mode, Shioricar is frilly and manic.

Shiori is special too. She cant see that "too," bit she's a kid in a high-competition, abusive world. She's still a pretty car who had the guts to race, and throws her head back orgasmically while Touga paints her nails.

#23 | Back to Top07-27-2014 07:39:06 PM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

MikoGalatea wrote:

Personally, I've wondered if movie!Shiori could be considered to be movie!Utena's "shadow", in a sense. (This is for desperate want of a better term, because I fail at Jung forever.) Utena represses the memory of Touga's death, whereas Shiori is not only aware of that event from the start, but she also knows some other messed-up things about him - namely, what his "father" did to him. Also contrast how the two girls deal with the death; Shiori, rather than shutting out the memories like Utena did, instead holds a grudge against Juri and blames her for what happened. She also refuses to move on, and she doesn't seem to like the idea of other people moving on either, hence her going after Anthy as a car in the end.

Ooh, I like this idea! even if it makes me want to ship movieverse!shiori x utena in a fucked up way even more *sobbing*

The absolute destiny... of hot pockets.

#24 | Back to Top07-28-2014 09:38:46 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I honestly don't think there's anything complicated about Movie Shiori. I think Ikuhara made her the big bad because he decided to make the fandom hate her even more. emot-tongue

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#25 | Back to Top07-28-2014 11:44:30 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Ikuhara likes her because she's sexy but evil. But that information comes from the DVD commentary, so of course you can't believe it.

Board footer