This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-18-2008 08:07:35 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

"End of the World" and "Anthy the Witch"

"End of The World"

Scene: Akio and Anthy driving in the car at maximum speed.

Akio: Does the World hurt you, Anthy?
*Anthy moaning in pain*
Akio: Don't worry, the world would end soon.

*Scene ends with Spikes piercing through Anthy*

What does the 'World' mean? I clearly think "End of the World" is Reality, because the 'world' promotes the dreams and fake hopes, or could it MEAN something else?

Like, it could be the other way around (that the WORLD is reality, and END OF THE WORLD is fantasy, since Akio created it)

My never ending question:
1.) Why do people who duel NEED Anthy to enter the castle up in the sky? To enter the mirage?

What does Anthy have to do with it?

Yes, she's a witch, but why does she need to be won?

Last edited by Stephanie (06-18-2008 08:09:02 AM)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#2 | Back to Top06-18-2008 08:14:57 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Re: "End of the World" and "Anthy the Witch"

Stephanie wrote:

My never ending question:
1.) Why do people who duel NEED Anthy to enter the castle up in the sky? To enter the mirage?

What does Anthy have to do with it?

Yes, she's a witch, but why does she need to be won?

1. She's the Rose Bride.
2. She's the trophy.
3. She's engaged to the Champion.
4. She's the sheath of the Sword of Dios.

Last edited by Seitokaichou (06-18-2008 08:19:19 AM)

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#3 | Back to Top06-18-2008 08:28:45 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Seitokaichou  wrote:

1. She's the Rose Bride.
2. She's the trophy.
3. She's engaged to the Champion.
4. She's the sheath of the Sword of Dios.

Indeed, but why is she "the trophy", why does she "need to be engaged to the champion" and all that?

What does she give to the Champions? Juri and Saionji just keeps hitting her.

Juri (wants to prove miracles don't exist)
Saionji (wants to keep up with Touga, to have that Eternal Touga found, so he can stay friends with him)
Miki (wants his old sister back, the innocent one)
Nanami (wants her brother so badly)
Touga (wants to have power like the chairman)

So to all of them, why do they need a witch to cause World Revolution?

"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
~FMA

#4 | Back to Top06-18-2008 08:39:32 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

It's not that they need her, but that they think they need her.

Because each character is faced with their own problems, that they themselves do not feel strong enough to solve them or the problem is too big to overcome without some miraculous, special power that the characters, on their own, can't have. But the catch is that there is no miraculous power. There's no magical solution to their problems, but neither are their problems impossible to solve. So it's not Anthy herself they want, but this power. Why? Because Akio probably told them they'll solve all their problems by getting engaged with her.

That's my current interpretation, anyway. I hope there's some basis to assume this. <:

#5 | Back to Top06-18-2008 10:22:19 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Well, #1 is because they are told they need her by End of the World. They have no real reason to doubt this: they didn't create the Rose Seal or the rules which governs it. Partly, they need her because they believe End of the World when he told them the One Engaged to Anthy would enter the castle.

#2, if we believe the events of Episode 39, is because the winner of all the duels is considered "The Prince" by the duels, he or she will need Anthy to draw the Swords of Hate away from them while they attempt to open the Rose Seal. The Duelists do not know this, save for perhaps Touga, but it would be necessary at least until they gained the miracle power and set Anthy free (or do whatever with it). We don't know if this would be necessary if anyone but Akio was the one trying to open the Seal, but it seems to be the way the rules of the Rose Seal works. After all, they did attack Utena once they recognized her as The Prince, or when ANTHY recognized her as The Prince.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#6 | Back to Top06-19-2008 11:01:21 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

But why would Akio put Anthy in the dueling arena? (Sure, Anthy can help him manipulate the duelist, but what does it symbolizes?) Everything here in Utena is symbolism, so what does Anthy being a rose bride symbolizes to the duelist?

To Miki, I think it's clear he wants her to be an exchange of Kozue. To others, they throw off their anger at her (probably one of the swords in 10k swords of hatred).

World revolution, cause they're all living in a shell, they don't want to let go of the past, so hence they stay in the same time frame. Though, truthfully, changing or rebelling (revolutionize) to this 'world' (whatever it's meaning is) was only said to be a mirage, they cannot really change what they had in their hearts desire.

Anthy, however, why does she need to be ENGAGED? Why did Akio said she do WHATEVER the engaged told her too? (Yes, she admits she is like a doll with no emotions, but why does she have to FOLLOW everything the duelist told her?)

Only Utena had no intention of Revolutionizing the world.. But she still wanted Anthy to be near her, right?

*DunDunDun, I am no good in explanations* emot-gonkemot-dance

EDIT:

Added question,
Why did Akio need the duelist for, anyway?

Last edited by Stephanie (06-19-2008 11:02:51 AM)

~FMA

#7 | Back to Top06-19-2008 12:29:50 PM

Jurrasic
Saionji Slapper

Akio uses Anthy because her powers as a witch and as the Rose Bride, while subtle, are very powerful for what Akio wants; for inflaming the emotions of 'special' people (the chosen duelists) to make them want the power to revolutionize the world for various reasons. 

Once one of them attains the power (their sword becomes strong enough) Akio plans to defeat them and take their swords to re-claim the power for himself, to become again the Prince he once was.   Thus she sets herself up as an embodiment of each of the duelest's real desire.

For Miki, he sees the Bride as a way to regain the lost 'purity' he had with his sister, back in 'the garden (of eden) when they were both innocent, before whatever shattered their relationship happened. (an incestous act is the obvious guess).  Of course, as the Bride, Anthy is in fact working behind the scenes (remember who the woman that Miki and Kozue's dad is re-marrying'? Very distinctive dress, eh) to manipulate them both into violently fighting for the power they feel they want.   

I'd go into the other character's motivations, but I just dont have time at work.  Just one more, the main one.

Utena, if I may get Jungian for a moment, sees Anthy as the living embodiment of her Shadow: short and dark with purple hair where she is tall, pale and pink haired. Demure and unresisting where Utena is brash and combative. unathletic and artisitic while Utena is feared by all the boys in their own sports. And most importantly, the helpless princess to the noble prince Utena strives to be. THAT's her motivation for the power to revolutionize the world.

(edited, too many damn commas)

Last edited by Jurrasic (06-19-2008 01:12:27 PM)

Board footer