This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-04-2008 11:46:26 PM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

Michael Jackson: A Sad Story About Growing Old...

Michael Jackson must have had Las Vegas vacationers doing a "is that a wax figure?" double-take as he ambled around Planet Hollywood on Wednesday. The Bigfoot-like sighting of the reclusive and bygone King of Pop came just ahead of his 50th birthday on Aug. 29, a milestone he apparently marked by making a serious commitment to comfort (not surprising given the seeming string of painful procedures he's undergone over the last two decades or so). For his Sin City outing, Jackson paired a tuxedo jacket with spacious pajama pants, the better for those long stretches at the nickel slots, perhaps. "Everyone makes mistakes when they're young, I guess. But I still look OK, don't I? I mean, for 40?" the London Daily Mail quotes him as asking recently. When it's pointed out that he's actually about to turn 50, Michael gives "a sad, half smile" and sighs, "It all went by so fast, didn't it? I wish I could do it all over again, I really do." Yeah, that got to us, too. And despite those long-standing comeback rumors, Michael is apparently done with the spotlight. "I'm tired. I've got nothing left to give," he reportedly said last week. "I just want to be left alone. Is that so bad?" And if you've ever wondered what Jackson might have looked like had he aged a bit more naturally, the paper has come up with computer-generated image that you can check out here.

This made me cry a bit on the inside.  I am a pretty big MJ fan.  But it's also sobering.  I mean, I'm 21.  I've already gone through the whole, "what have I done?  where has the time gone?" thing.  I've reminded myself that I still have 75-80% of my life left ahead of me.  But seriously.  Has anyone else ever felt that way?  Or for that matter, any comments as to MJ's predicament?  To me, it sounds like age and depression.  I've also thought, "what if he had died tragically when he was younger?  would our view of him had radically changed?"  Feel free to discuss.

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

#2 | Back to Top09-05-2008 05:10:10 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Re: Michael Jackson: A Sad Story About Growing Old...

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

#3 | Back to Top09-05-2008 11:10:55 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Show respect, for Michael Jackson.  He's been through a lot, whaddaya want?

Everybody sing!  Show respect for Michael Ja...

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top09-06-2008 01:44:12 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I have never thought the missing time thing. (I... Generally even have to count to figure out how old I am, and I'm only in my early 20's... I think emot-gonk ) But really, I'd be very surprised if I still had half my life left.

And really, No, I don't want to do anything again. Besides, what if its actually worse that time around?  It's done, and I'm still here, so who cares?

...This might be an indication that I'm blind.
But really.
I don't think he looks bad.
I seriously honestly mean that.

#5 | Back to Top09-06-2008 03:40:23 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

allegoriest wrote:

...This might be an indication that I'm blind.
But really.
I don't think he looks bad.
I seriously honestly mean that.

Well, if you don't mind that he looks like he's made of plastic...A man straight from the Uncanny Valley, if I've ever seen one.

And yeah, I got pity for all those celebrities who end up destroying themselves because of their fame; they don't have the ability to understand what they are sticking their heads in, until its too late, and then the media won't let them go until they've been chewed to the bone. I really wish that they stopped making news of people like Michael Jackson, Paris Hilton et al. I suspect it would improve their mental condition considerably.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#6 | Back to Top01-17-2009 03:11:36 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I think America is the only country that builds up super stars like Micheal Jackson and then try to destroy them. Though I don't think he looks that bad either, the media has taken its tole on him. I don't agree with some of the choices he's made, but he's still one of my favorite music artists. Besides love, I feel great pity for him. I wish he could have had a better life.

It's sad, but I think I would want to be left alone at this point as well. I would love to see more music from him, but the world is so hard to please. I don't know if he should bother to try to make anything new. Living the rest of his days in solitude would perhaps be best.... emot-frown But I suppose we'll see what happens. Got a whole new year ahead of us now.

MJ fan for life. emot-frown

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#7 | Back to Top01-17-2009 04:00:51 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I personally feel that if he'd died young and tragically, he would have be a matyr. Instead of what...well, whatever he is now. Which seems to be, to a lot of people, a bit of a joke. My opinion's going to be a little skewed because my personal belief is that he WAS guilty, but I still feel a bit sorry for him. Man has issues.
(No offence meant to fans, btw.)

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#8 | Back to Top01-17-2009 06:09:30 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Hehe

#9 | Back to Top01-17-2009 06:21:17 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I'm not particularly a fan, but I do feel a bit sorry for him and the shit he's gotten. It just has a lot to do with shifting cultures and changes in what the public wants in a celebrity, I think, and a willingness to tear down a once-great celebrity that no longer tickles their fancy. No one ever believes me that his light skin color results from a skin condition, not surgery. emot-rolleyes

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#10 | Back to Top01-17-2009 07:07:15 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I believe it. One of my former teachers has that same condition.

#11 | Back to Top01-18-2009 11:45:45 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

No one ever believes me that his light skin color results from a skin condition, not surgery. emot-rolleyes

It's both - typically the condition makes people look messy and spotty. Surgery smoothed things out - a bit too much, by the looks of it.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#12 | Back to Top01-18-2009 02:20:26 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Yeah, my teacher never got the surgery to smooth his out. So he has the blotchy look. And actually, I've noticed that in some of MJ's videos, on the rare occasion that he has his shirt off/open, in some shots you can see a bit of blotchiness.

Last edited by BlackRoseVixen (01-18-2009 02:22:14 PM)

#13 | Back to Top01-18-2009 05:55:46 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

I think I read somewhere that his dad was somewhat abusive and used to give him racial shit about having a broad nose, etc, so I was more inclined to believe he chose to change. On the other hand, what you guys said was pretty interesting. I'm not too up on my MJ knowledge, so is the dad thing true?

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#14 | Back to Top01-18-2009 06:30:19 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Miss Bluesky wrote:

I think I read somewhere that his dad was somewhat abusive and used to give him racial shit about having a broad nose, etc, so I was more inclined to believe he chose to change. On the other hand, what you guys said was pretty interesting. I'm not too up on my MJ knowledge, so is the dad thing true?

Yes, the dad thing is true. MJ has said so himself in an interview with Oprah. Me, personally, believe that interviews are what lead to celebrity downfalls. I'm not a Beyonce fan, but I like that she doesn't do revealing interviews. I think if famous people kept their lives more private, then the media wouldn't thrash them so. I never would have done an interview with Oprah.

Board footer