This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top11-13-2007 04:03:56 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

ShatteredMirror wrote:

...how the HELL can Tigereye and Hawkeye be straight?

And Usagi's distrust of Mamoru is annoying me more and more.

It's amusing that when she has a legitimate reason to distrust him (Stars), she doesn't.  And yet when she doesn't have any reason to, she does.

#102 | Back to Top11-13-2007 04:36:09 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I think Usagi's really the only one that I like less than Chibiusa. Yeah, Chibiusa's annoying, but she's a kid. Usagi's fifteen. When I was fifteen... um... I was quiet and withdrawn, a decent student and was in love with someone who didn't feel the same way about me.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#103 | Back to Top11-13-2007 04:47:06 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Lissa wrote:

It's sad what they did to Setsuna in the anime. There's so much of her personality that's cut out in the anime. She's almost as neglected in the anime as Hotaru is in StarS. I love her in the manga. It brings out more of her love of kids and her dreams and job.

I thought so, too. I etc-love Setsuna in all media, but anime Setsuna could have been done so much better. That damned purple suit she wears for the ENTIRE S SERIES got on my last nerve.

Manga Setsuna made Motoki's head turn when she showed up in her first scene. On top of that, she was heavily inspired by Naomi Campbell. She and Mamoru suffered from the same problem, they came off as much older in the anime than in the manga. Manga Setsuna is only a college freshman, and Manga Mamoru is in 12th grade in the Death Busters arc. So they're 19 and 18 respectively.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#104 | Back to Top11-13-2007 04:54:04 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Also, what the hell is up with Chibiusa and Pegasus? emot-gonk

#105 | Back to Top11-13-2007 05:17:31 PM

Mylene

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Also, what the hell is up with Chibiusa and Pegasus? emot-gonk

It's best not to think about it outside IFD.

#106 | Back to Top11-13-2007 05:21:41 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm not sure I want to think about it even in IFD.

#107 | Back to Top11-13-2007 05:26:11 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Did anyone else notice that Helios/Pegasus looks like Dios?

#108 | Back to Top11-13-2007 05:35:03 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

There's also a character who shows up only for a couple of seconds in the episode with the fashion designer guy who looks like Nanami.

#109 | Back to Top11-13-2007 09:34:17 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Speaking of people in Sailor Moon who look like Utena characters

I plan on drawing the scouts cosplaying as their parallels in Utena, from a mostly personality standpoint.

Yes, no, maybe so?

Last edited by AnjitheArtist (11-13-2007 09:37:04 PM)

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#110 | Back to Top11-13-2007 10:27:30 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Who do you consider to be whose parallel?

#111 | Back to Top11-13-2007 10:38:54 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

...how the HELL can Tigereye and Hawkeye be straight?

I know im a little late on this but...

Hawks-eye ISNT straight. I come to this conclusion through his gender bending in the manga. i mean OUCH! is it bad translation that he says "since i was a little girl..." or is it exactly what was wanted? Not only that..what guy in their right mind has pink hair and a purple mini with a toga tube top and pumps!?

Tigers-eye IS straight. I say this because he is the only one through Manga and Anime to retain masculinity and interest in women (not to mention hes the less flamboyant of the three!) and i luff him. XD

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#112 | Back to Top11-13-2007 10:40:03 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I assume that in the anime at least Hawkeye is straight because of his interest in women.

#113 | Back to Top11-13-2007 10:45:52 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

The plan is to post these on Deviantart and then link to here, so that in each comment space I can give my reasoning and or theories as to why each character corrolates with what

So far I have (with a bit of stretching):

Makoto = Utena
Rei = Saionji
Ami =Miki (EASY)
Setsuna = Juri
Michiru = Anthy
Haruka = Akio (wait, for it...)
Hotaru = Ruka
Minako = Wakaba

So far, I have no freaking clue for Touga, and The ones for Mitsuru and Nanami I think are going to be quite funny...

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#114 | Back to Top11-13-2007 10:49:15 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd have thought Anthy as Setsuna and Juri as Michiru, myself... since Anthy's all ancient and distant and mysterious, and Juri's a closeted overachiever. (yes, Michiru's out now, but I don't think she really was at the very beginning...)

Last edited by ShatteredMirror (11-13-2007 10:49:58 PM)

#115 | Back to Top11-14-2007 05:59:33 AM

Mylene

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I'd have thought Anthy as Setsuna and Juri as Michiru, myself... since Anthy's all ancient and distant and mysterious, and Juri's a closeted overachiever. (yes, Michiru's out now, but I don't think she really was at the very beginning...)

That's the way I see it as well.  Then again, then we'd have Juri and Akio as lovers rather than Haruka and Michiru...Hmm...Ruka and Haruka don't feel that far off base, and Setsuna has a thing for King Endymion...

Mako as Utena... etc-loveetc-loveetc-love  Sorry, I'm a Mako girl and an Utena girl...  emot-keke

#116 | Back to Top11-14-2007 03:19:19 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

...yeah, I could see Haruka as Ruka. Hell, their names even sound similar. emot-tongue

#117 | Back to Top11-14-2007 07:06:18 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

AnjitheArtist wrote:

The plan is to post these on Deviantart and then link to here, so that in each comment space I can give my reasoning and or theories as to why each character corrolates with what

So far I have (with a bit of stretching):

Makoto = Utena
Rei = Saionji
Ami =Miki (EASY)
Setsuna = Juri
Michiru = Anthy
Haruka = Akio (wait, for it...)
Hotaru = Ruka
Minako = Wakaba

So far, I have no freaking clue for Touga, and The ones for Mitsuru and Nanami I think are going to be quite funny...

When I started writing my crackfic, I just took the easy way out and color coordinated them. You'd be surprised how well a Rei/Touga pairing works out on paper.

Can't wait to see the pictures though!

#118 | Back to Top11-14-2007 07:11:40 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Can't go wrong with color coordination.

#119 | Back to Top11-15-2007 02:37:06 AM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

Hmmh...someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm probably am, but I could have sworn I read/heard something somewhere that the Seitotaki was loosely based on the Four Generals/Kings from Sailormoon.

Kunzite = Touga
Nephrite = Saionji
Zoicite = Juri
Jedite = Miki
Beryl = Nanami

As far as drawing parallels to the senshi...the colors always work. Colors mean a lot in Japan, too. XD

Icon from Kawaii Not

#120 | Back to Top11-15-2007 10:02:53 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd switch Juri and Miki... I think Zoicite is a little too girly to be like Juri. emot-tongue

#121 | Back to Top11-17-2007 04:22:29 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

That, and it makes the incredibly unpleasant Touga/Juri pairing.

However, Saionji as Nephrite is absolutely 100% dead-on. They have the same hair. And consider the parallels between anime-Nephrite's relationship with Naru and Saionji/Wakaba.

#122 | Back to Top11-17-2007 08:55:08 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Yes, Saionji as Nephrite is perfect. And I do like Touga as Kunzite.

#123 | Back to Top08-05-2016 03:24:06 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

Wow, this thread is beyond dead, but I'm totally gonna revive it!

So...PGSM.

I saw this series years ago, and I remember liking it, so I decided to give it a rewatch, and...oh man! I think I have truly forgotten how AWESOME this show is. Yes, the production values are a little cheesy (even for the time it was shot in). Yes, it hasn't really aged well (but neither has Utena). But the writing and the actors are superb! So good, infact, that I'm totally willing to conciously overlook that Airports and Convention Centers are void of foot traffic for this show. Or that Luna and Artemis constantly switch back and forth between being stuffed animals and CGI animations. (Looking back, I was also into King of Hades, so I guess I don't mind this kind of stuff...)

Anyways, PGSM was my way into the fandom. But I'm having a hard time relating to other Sailor Moon fans who see the classic anime as canon. (Also, some fans have not been exposed to the live action, or are horrified by it.) See, for me, I grew up without cable television, so I was never really part of the group of kids who enjoyed the Sailor Moon cartoon as a child. I came across the musicals when I was studying Japanese in high school. And then, subsequently, I got into PGSM when I became an adult. (As a side note, Miki Kawasaki might very well have been responsible for awakening my queerness.)

After enjoying both of these incarnations, I tried to give the classic anime a whirl several years ago, but I...I really couldn't get into it. Maybe it was just something that could only grab my attention as a child? It makes me wonder how much of the passion Sailor Moon fans have toward the cartoon might simply be attributed to nostalgia... But, I don't know, like, the live action was most certainly aimed at children as well... I'm not sure if it was the actors, or the writing, or both? I can't really put my finger on it, but I just enjoy this version so much more! They really found a great cast, and the writing is so much fun!

So I want to ask, should I give Crystal a try? Would someone who didn't like the original anime, but enjoyed the musicals and live action drama possibly be okay with it? It seems like a lot of the fans are hating on Crystal...but I'm not sure if their opinion means much to me if they are comparing it to the original anime that I didn't care for.

I did buy the manga, but this was back when it was out of print in English, so I ended up getting the Japanese set, with intention to read it in the original language. This was 8 years ago, and I still haven't done this yet. I'm finally at a level in my language studies where I think I can probably handle reading it in Japanese, but I'm sort of involved in another Japanese book series I want to finish first before I pick it up. Hopefully, it will be sooner rather than later, and it won't be as disappointing to me as the anime was. (Also, I was honestly shocked to see the English manga revive. And I always am tempted to just crack it open at Barnes & Noble, but I refuse to give in because it was my goal to read it in Japanese first.)

Anyways, rewatching PGSM has made me incredibly anxious, and I kind of just wanted an outlet to talk about it with someone. Can the PGSM fans please come out of hiding?

Last edited by barafubuki (08-05-2016 03:59:52 PM)

#124 | Back to Top08-05-2016 07:04:53 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Hi, Sailor Moon fan here who's familiar with all them continuities!

Yes, PGSM is pretty great, for the reasons you mentioned.

In my opinion, of course you should give Crystal a try! What do you have to lose (well, besides 23 minutes of your time)? Watch an episode and form your own opinions - you don't need the blessing of the Sailor Moon fan community to check it out.

As to whether I think you'll like Crystal... [No. If what you like in the musicals and PGSM is the acting, writing, and general sense of fun, then I'm 99% sure you will dislike Crystal. You're probably not going to be a big fan of the manga, either.]

If you do try the first episode and dislike it, you could always jump forward and try the second season of Crystal - it's supposed to improve in the areas that you enjoy. I would recommend the same thing about the 90s anime as opposed to watching it straight through - jump forward to R or S.

Finally, to nitpick...

Or that Luna and Artemis constantly switch back and forth between being stuffed animals and CGI animations.

Untrue. Luna and Artemis are only very rarely CGI, because that cost way more money. ;)

#125 | Back to Top08-05-2016 08:12:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I have not watched PGSM, but the parts of the fandom I wander into seem to have high praise for it as the near-quintessential adaptation of the Dark Kingdom arc. The manga blows through it too fast with very little character development for anyone who isn't Usagi. The anime gives character development for everyone in spades, but some feel that there is way too much filler. (Which can't be helped due to the manga being a monthly publication and the anime being weekly, and they wanted to make the anime now now now instead of waiting a month or two.) The musical was too campy for some, and Crystal received the same complaints as the manga.

This is, of course, proof that the SM fandom is imfuckingpossible to please, mostly due to its size.

That being said, as you've watched PGSM, and aren't as enthused about the original anime, give Crystal a shot and don't bother with the manga. The changes in adapting Crystal are negligible enough that you don't need to do both.

Also, I wonder if anyone has attempted to create a guide to watching a streamlined version of the original anime. If not, that is a thing I should do.

Board footer