This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-16-2014 02:53:25 AM

Angel Androgynous
New Student

Concerning The hard core of UTENA

I've recently decided that I'd like to buy pretty much all book resources that have to do with Utena and I came across the existence of "The hard core of UTENA."  While I eventually want everything, I'd like to start off by not double-dipping in content.  To that end, could somebody tell me whether the images in "The hard core of UTENA" are previously unreleased images or, if not, which books "The hard core of UTENA" derives content from.

As a second question, in my quest to own all book resources for the series, I've compiled a list of books that I believe to be comprehensive, but I would love to know whether I am missing anything to make sure it's on my radar:

Manga (6 Tankobon, 3 Bunko)
2 Novels
2 Series Script Books
Character Setting Final Manuscript 少女革命ウテナ キャラクター設定決定稿
Art Setting Final Manuscript 少女革命ウテナ 美術設定稿
Setting Resource Collection 少女革命ウテナ 設定資料集 (ムービック、1997年発行)
This is Animation 少女革命ウテナ 薔薇の告白 (1998年1月10日発売)
Rose Apocalypse 少女革命ウテナ 薔薇の黙示録 (青林工藝社、1998年3月26日発売) ISBN 4-88-379000-2
Photo Collection: Memory of the Rose 少女革命ウテナ写真集 薔薇の記憶 (1998年6月30日発売) ISBN 4-19-900057-7
Simple Piano Solo 少女革命ウテナ やさしいピアノソロ (東京音楽書院、1998年8月発売) ISBN 4-81-143767-5
Features of the Rose 少女革命ウテナ 薔薇の容貌 (1998年9月15日発売) ISBN 4-58-418354-6
Full Picture of the Rose 少女革命ウテナ ART COLLECTION 薔薇の全貌 (1998年9月15日発売) ISBN 4-78-971392-X
Chiho Saito Reproduced Works Collection 少女革命ウテナ さいとうちほ複製原画集 (小学館、1999年8月7日発売) ISBN 4-09-199682-5
Adolescence of Utena Script Book少女革命ウテナ アドゥレセンス黙示録 シナリオブック (1999年8月14日発売) ISBN 4-88-379035-5
Visual Making-of Book Art of Utena 少女革命ウテナ ヴィジュアルメイキングブック アート・オブ・ウテナ (1999年10月31日発売) ISBN 4-56-873008-2
NEWTYPE ILLUSTRATED COLLECTION Adolescence Apocalypse 少女革命ウテナ アドゥレセンス黙示録 (2000年3月18日発売) ISBN 4-04-853169-7
5 Utena Visual Storybooks 少女革命ウテナ ヴィジュアル・ストーリー・ブック
Official Game Guide 鳳学園指定図書 少女革命ウテナ いつか革命される物語 オフィシャルガイドブック
The hard core of UTENA Supplement Limited edition
UTENA/MAWARU PENGUINDRUM - THE WORLD OF KUNIHIKO IKUHARA EXHIBITION 少女革命ウテナ原画展 図録

Also please let me know if you know offhand whether the content of the aforementioned books in this list has repeated content as well.
Thank you in advance!

#2 | Back to Top11-17-2014 08:29:59 AM

descry77
Miki Molester

Re: Concerning The hard core of UTENA

This is just a comprehensive collection of both official promotional art and cels from the tv series and movie, separated into two books.

Aside from a handful (literally), pretty much all of the artwork is available elsewhere (and in some cases, they're bigger elsewhere!). But don't quote me on that, as I don't have every single art book out there. The only artwork I noticed that's new (in a book) is the individual DVD artwork. Sadly, the artwork from the remastered Japanese DVD and Blu-Ray sets isn't included. Also, no manga-style artwork is included.

Hope that helps.

#3 | Back to Top11-18-2014 07:47:32 AM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

If you'd like to see the artwork in the books, I photographed each page to give an idea of what's in it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner & the pictures aren't the best, but it should give you a guide for comparison:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13638589@ … 617465313/

#4 | Back to Top11-18-2014 10:34:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

There are maybe five images not in another collection in Hardcore. Where it excels is image quality--it's chock full of very high resolution images from the show, of cels directly. (You even see the edges.) Again, that's nothing you can't get elsewhere but it does mean there's some very high-res stuff compared to previous resources.

I'll try to hurry up with the putting up the actual no-where else images, but you're not going to hit a treasure trove by buying it. Same is true of the Utena/Penguindrum book.

Just check out the link below, it's exactly what you're getting. I'd have liked to have a clean copy but I got mine to butcher for the gallery, so. emot-frown

What you're missing isn't technically a book, but the Maison de Chu-Chu CD-ROM. I'm not even sure one could actually run the thing now, it's Win95 era. But it actually has a lot of art that never did really show up elsewhere before the Hardcore book.

Actually...if I rip the disc would people be able to play with it?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top11-19-2014 05:19:37 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I'd be willing to take a crack at it. I still have a Windows 95 Computer for another project. Or I could just use my Original disc and virtual box.

#6 | Back to Top11-20-2014 07:56:24 PM

Angel Androgynous
New Student

Thanks for the information everyone!  The quality of the paper/printing looks really good from the scans you provided, cscratch!  But I think I'll need to hold off for the time being on getting The hard core of UTENA.  I did just spend a stupid amount of money buying most of the rest of the things on the list though x.x;;  Also, while not exactly a resource book, I came across an interesting analytic/criticism book specifically about Utena called 螺旋の薔薇―ウテナにおける神話考察 (The Rose Spiral - A Study of Mythology in Utena) [(here's the URL: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4757 … ge_o07_s00).  I hope it provides some interesting insights! 

Also, you guys may already know about this, but I'm really excited for the release of Kanashimi no Belladonna here in the States (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 … ilm/.80564).  For those who don't know, it's a psychedelic journey set in medieval France of a woman who becomes persecuted as a witch but awakens to her own sexuality and power.  Ikuhara has stated that this film was an inspiration for him when he first saw it as a student and that the movie really made him conscious of animation.  I have the Japanese DVD of the movie, but hope that this release means we'll get a Blu-ray version and hopefully lots of people can see this IMHO great film.

#7 | Back to Top11-22-2014 01:18:26 PM

KC
Wakaba Wrangler

Off-topic:

Angel Androgynous wrote:

Also, you guys may already know about this, but I'm really excited for the release of Kanashimi no Belladonna here in the States (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 … ilm/.80564).  For those who don't know, it's a psychedelic journey set in medieval France of a woman who becomes persecuted as a witch but awakens to her own sexuality and power.  Ikuhara has stated that this film was an inspiration for him when he first saw it as a student and that the movie really made him conscious of animation.  I have the Japanese DVD of the movie, but hope that this release means we'll get a Blu-ray version and hopefully lots of people can see this IMHO great film.

!!!!!!!

This is compelling news.

That is all.

http://i.imgur.com/nVg8IPl.png

#8 | Back to Top11-24-2014 04:55:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Angel Androgynous wrote:

The Rose Spiral - A Study of Mythology in Utena) [(here's the URL: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4757 … ge_o07_s00).  I hope it provides some interesting insights!

I've seen this pop up a few times and have always been so interested, but language barrier, and all. emot-frown Is there any possibility of translating the points it hits on or such?

PS All over this movie needs to hurry to release.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer