This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-31-2011 08:17:35 AM

wblstudios
Banned

Re: Is Utena your favorite anime? And what more do you like?

Utena's a great series, but I can't honestly say it's my favorite.  I'm pretty much a fan of almost all the anime I write about in my fan fiction... mostly Devil Lady, Tenchi Universe and Azumanga Daioh

#27 | Back to Top10-28-2011 11:59:28 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

I'll admit, Utena is not my favorite. It's up there, but it doesn't get the number one spot.
That goes to etc-love Legend of Galactic Heroes!etc-love

I'm a Gundam kiddie, so I should probably confess that right off the bat cool. I was indoctrinated via Wing, but the UC timeline has since usurped it. Other favorties include Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Loveless, Princess Tutu, Princess Jellyfish, Oniisama Ee and Kaze to Ki no Uta on one hand (alongside Utena).  On the other, FLCL, Trapeze, BERSERK, Hellsing (the T.V. series), Mononoke, Petshop of Horrors, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop.

*Lately I've been enjoying Tiger & Bunny, but I won't know whether that truly deserves a favorite from me until I've had time to get over it and guage it's re-watch value.

#28 | Back to Top10-29-2011 04:26:23 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Utena's my second, I'd say. Holding that #1 is The Five Star Stories. Great art, epic storyline, wonderful execution...really, the only reason more people haven't heard of it is because its English release ended prematurely.

#29 | Back to Top10-29-2011 10:43:46 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Atropos wrote:

Utena's my second, I'd say. Holding that #1 is The Five Star Stories. Great art, epic storyline, wonderful execution...really, the only reason more people haven't heard of it is because its English release ended prematurely.

Well I certainly hadn't heard of it! I think I need to go investigate this now~ school-sherlock

#30 | Back to Top10-31-2011 12:00:36 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Up until a few months ago, my answer would have been an unshakable yes. After having experienced Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I'm... not sure.

I respect Utena for it's depth, but I'm a sucker for action/suave badassery sometimes, and FMAB feeds that desire like nothing I've ever experienced before.

I don't really watch much anime anymore, when I do watch something it's because I set out to do so, and rarely am I disappointed.

Series I've seen (semi-recently) and enjoyed (Besides Utena and FMAB)

Berserk (Manga! Sweet holy hell the manga... it's become rather difficult to follow in later chapters, but I just can't get enough of Gattsu overcoming Lovecraft-esque horrors through sheer force of will. The guy makes just about every other conceivable badass character look pathetic by comparison...)
Cowboy Bebop
Black Lagoon
Kikaider
Escaflowne

I can't think of any more right now on that front T_T

Movies:
Hellsing Ultimate
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa (I haven't seen the rest of Miazaki's works)

Again, There are more I've seen that I don't have the memory for :\

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#31 | Back to Top11-14-2012 09:26:25 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

I don't think I can say that Utena is my favorite, because I honestly can't just choose one. Utena is definitely up there in my list, but I think Monster might be a tad bit higher (nice to know I'm not the only Urasawa fan). I also love FMAB, Death Note, and the Count de Monte Cristo Gankutsuo, and have recently gotten into Eureka 7. 

And Studio Ghibli is a given.

Oh treachery!

#32 | Back to Top11-14-2012 10:10:59 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Honestly, I'm not a huge anime fan. I did watch a few series back in high school, but it kinda dwindled after that. However, SKU has always stuck and, in all likelihood, will remain in my top anime list for quite some time.

The only other things I've watched are:

Trigun (pretty good, short and sweet)
RockMan.EXE (Good jap, terrible eng)
Shaman King (only saw the dub, still liked it)
YuGiOh (Hey, it's alright)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (dub was actually pretty damn good)
Nausicaa of the Spirited Away Castle (all pretty good)
Grave of the Fireflies (damn you, diseases!)

And then there's animu-like games, like:

Tales of Symphonia (in my Top 3 Games for life)
Tales of Legendia (AMAZING soundtrack)
Tales of the Abyss [Why are Lowenthal and Bosch in everything?! (Not complaining about O'Brian or Platt, though emot-biggrin )]
Persona 3 (dark, ominous, pretty decent, if you can look past Fuuka)
Persona 4 (a bit too weeaboo-y for me)
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (Long, good, but not high on the replay value)
Rogue Galaxy (nice idea, short, not as cool as it could have been)

That's all I can think of...

#33 | Back to Top11-15-2012 12:24:16 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I'd say Fake, Terra E (the movie), Eat-Man, the first Urusei Yatsura movie, and some Leiji Matsumoto anime beat out Utena for me, and some Bubble Gum Crisis and Macross things. It's hard to compare SKU to Pale Cocoon, right? But if I was forced to, I'd probably pick a different one depending on the day.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#34 | Back to Top11-15-2012 02:57:28 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Please Save my Earth (OVA + manga)
Legend of Basara (+ manga)
Loveless (+manga)
Pet Shop of Horrors (OVA + manga)
No. 6 (+ novel)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#35 | Back to Top11-15-2012 09:29:50 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I have an inexplicable attraction to the (nominally not that good) dub of PSME.

Is the Pet Shop of Horrors anime really that good, gorgeousshutin? Is it very close to the manga?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#36 | Back to Top11-15-2012 10:57:05 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I have an inexplicable attraction to the (nominally not that good) dub of PSME.

Is the Pet Shop of Horrors anime really that good, gorgeousshutin? Is it very close to the manga?

PSME's most dramatic parts happen in the manga vols 7-21 after the OVAs, so those are a must get for any serious fan.  The manga has a sequel, but its mainly wish fulfillment fluff/filler and can be ignored IMHO.

As for Pet Shop, the OVAs are fairly atmospheric, but the plot do deviate quite a bit from the manga.  And, on the manga side, the Tokyo Sequel is no where near as good as the original series.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#37 | Back to Top11-16-2012 07:33:50 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I only read about half of the posts here, but no one mentioned Nana which is probably my favorite Anime. Utena's a great show and has a lot more analytical value, which is doubly impressive in a show that's also looks to be geared towards children, but Nana is just a wonderful melodramatic sort of show if you're in the mood, and I liked the soundtrack.

I haven't seen either in awhile now though... but I've been kind of thinking of picking up one or the other on DVD/Blu Ray for Christmas. Probably Nana, since I have Utena already, but there is that new remastered version of Utena out there which would always be nice to own.

I remember I liked one of the Kenshin things a lot... I think it was an OVA of four episodes or so, but I'm not sure... it's been a long time since I watched that. But it was pretty and well done.

Those are pretty much my top three, in no particular order. Miyazaki's movies are often fun too.

#38 | Back to Top11-16-2012 11:33:09 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Valeli wrote:

I remember I liked one of the Kenshin things a lot... I think it was an OVA of four episodes or so, but I'm not sure... it's been a long time since I watched that. But it was pretty and well done.

You're most likely talking about Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (Trust and Betrayal), which is, in my opinion, a masterwork.

#39 | Back to Top11-19-2012 10:38:50 AM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Rotten Mooring wrote:

I'll admit, Utena is not my favorite. It's up there, but it doesn't get the number one spot.
That goes to etc-love Legend of Galactic Heroes!etc-love

THIS. THIS. VERY F*CKING THIS. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime and the best in my book. The only other anime I love as much as LoGH is, well, obviously Utena. But LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES. THAT is how a REAL science fiction anime rolls.

(Enough with the fanboying now.)
(Okay.)

I like some giant robots, mainly Nadesico, Dai-Guard and GaoGaiGar. Mazinger and Getter Robo are up there too. emot-biggrin

Other (mahou) shoujo (which is ironically my favorite genre, go figure) I like are Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach. There's others, but I can't remember the names right now. (go figure hehe)

#40 | Back to Top11-20-2012 01:12:31 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Utena is unquestionably my most favorite anime. Prior to three years ago, I couldn't have answered that definitively, but returning to the franchise after over five years was truly like coming home. I am definitely a Born Again Utenian. (If you so wish, you can read about the experience in incredible detail here.)

But I've been watching anime continuously for roughly 15 years now. There have been so many wonderful stories. I've been a truly fortunate person to have been able to partake of so many. Here's a short and doubtless very incomplete list of some of the ones that have special meaning for me:

Aria (all seasons)
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Battle Athletes (OVA and TV)
Haibane Renmei
Kaleido Star (season 1 only)
Kannazuki no Miko
Simoun
NieA_7 ("Niea Under Seven")
Someday's Dreamers
Kids on the Slope
Princess Nine
Rose of Versailles
Tamayura
Ace wo Nerae!
Pretear
Shugo Chara!
Figure 17
Millennium Actress
Blue Drop
Yawara!
The Story of Saiunkoku
Chihayafuru
Skip Beat!
Aoi Hana
Hidamari Sketch
Sketchbook ~Full Color's~
Spice & Wolf
Mouretsu Pirates
Air Master
Paradise Kiss
Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Dirty Pair (both original and Flash, but the original is unarguably vastly superior)
Hataraki Man
Yakushiji Ryoko's Mysterious Case File
Junjou Romantica
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
Seirei no Moribito
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
You're Under Arrest!
Cleopatra D.C.
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Vision of Escaflowne
Shamanic Princess
Corrector Yui (never been able to finish this, sadly. Subs don't exist.)

That'll do for a start...this list is by no means grouped in any sort of way. Some of these are merely shows I thought were well done and thoroughly entertaining, while others had profound meaning and left deep and lasting impressions on me. However, with the exception of Utena, perhaps none more so than...

Sailor Moon.

This was the show that brought me into anime. It was a dramatic love affair, complete with a tragic ending in that I never got to finish it in my youth, but that story is an entire other post (or thread). Its only very recently that I've been able to watch the entire 200 episodes thanks to the wonderful people at Sailor Moon Center, and it truly is one of my most treasured shows, both for its contribution to my past and my enjoyment of it in the present.

(Also, as chance would have it, I just happened to start watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes recently. I'm only a few episodes in, but enjoying it a lot so far.)

Last edited by Aelanie (11-20-2012 02:04:59 AM)

#41 | Back to Top11-23-2012 10:33:57 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Shoujo Kakumei Utena is not my most favorite anime of all-time, but it comes very close to being so. Unlike most moe garbage that studios throw up nowadays, this series actually got you thinking and paying attention to the characters, imagery, dialogue, actions, etc. Pretty much everything. It was an entertaining and allgorical way of learning what it takes to grow up and face reality (aka End of the World)(?). It was also good to see each of the main cast developing in each arc. Rarely do you ever see an anime where everyone of the main cast is important. And I also like how Kunihiko Ikuhara (the director) breaks rules (he's a maverick!) and is not afraid to be the "nail that needs to be hammered down." He certainly showed us that you don't have to fit into the gender "norms" and that we can be whoever we choose to be. However, we have to face the facts and realize that we are still regarded in certain ways because of our genders.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

#42 | Back to Top11-25-2012 08:16:26 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Wow, seems like Utena fans have similar tastes! Pretty much all the series I love have had a mention already.

For me it's always been a toss-up between Utena and Oniisama E. I love all the symbolism and quirky stuff in Utena, buuuut... on the other hand, Oniisama E has St Just. etc-love

Other shows that are awesome:
Simoun
Marimite
Haibane Renmei
Madoka
Paranoia Agent
Kaze to ki no uta (manga)

#43 | Back to Top11-30-2012 08:45:39 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Utena's by far my fave anime, and it's my fave "tv show" too.

I still haven't found it's rival... etc-love

#44 | Back to Top12-03-2012 04:49:53 PM

chevalierprincesse
New Student
Website

Before Utena became my favorite anime, it was One Piece. And not to say that I made a bad decision in being a fan of that but...wow, I think Utena's got a lot more to offer for me. I wasn't really into in-depth discussions when it came to OP. Suffice to say, SKU's lit that "let's discuss everything until our brains hurt" fire in me.

I do appreciate other things like Magic Knight Rayearth, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ceres: Celestial Legend (I haven't watched it in a long time; bear with me!), and--more recently--Mawaru Penguindrum. I used to be big into anime when I was still a teen but now that I'm reaching my 21st birthday I've taken the route of watching anime that predates me and playing video games in my spare time.

I deeply regret not finding Utena sooner though. I was always interested in watching it but never took the time to do so. emot-keke;

"If we are ever separated, I swear I will change the world."

#45 | Back to Top12-03-2012 07:54:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I used to be a fairly large otaku when I first found SKU, but a couple years after I found myself less and less interested in anime. I felt like I'd found the ultimate one. The one I was looking for. And that's still pretty true, it takes a lot of convincing to get me to watch new anime, though I'm now a pretty big consumer of Japanese and Asian horror.

While SKU is absolutely my favorite anime of all time, a surprisingly close second is Vision of Escaflowne, which isn't at all like SKU. It isn't a huge meaning thing, it isn't all mindbending and world changing. It's just damn good bloody TV.

After that, my list seems to mimic the rest of the lists here. Classics like Lain and Kenshin.

And a lot of hentai but we don't talk about that. school-freud

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#46 | Back to Top12-03-2012 10:46:16 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Revolutionary girl utena is my favorite anime along Neon genesis Evangelion and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann(and other anime that I will not mention)

#47 | Back to Top12-04-2012 09:27:48 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

It saddens me that I'm the only one here who seems to like (or even know of) The Legend of Basara (talk about strong female chars).

#48 | Back to Top12-04-2012 10:38:16 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I've seen Basara, and I remember liking it, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it, except that there's a sort of Mulan/Twelfth Night thing going on, and a hot springs episode. emot-frown

#49 | Back to Top12-04-2012 11:37:28 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I've seen Basara, and I remember liking it, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about it, except that there's a sort of Mulan/Twelfth Night thing going on, and a hot springs episode. emot-frown

Damn . . .

I can understand that people will find flaws with the anime, especially one that ends just when the main plot is starting to unravel and get interesting. 

The anime + the epic manga together really do make for a solid, spectacular tale from start to finish, and it's sad that most of the English speaking fandom don't seem to have good access to the Basara manga.

#50 | Back to Top12-04-2012 11:26:46 PM

chevalierprincesse
New Student
Website

Ah! I've watched a bit of Basara, but I stopped because Netflix kept bugging up on me every time I watched it.

But that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it! I've been thinking of picking it up again, actually.

"If we are ever separated, I swear I will change the world."

Board footer