This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#526 | Back to Top12-09-2010 02:10:24 PM

poetoffire
Mikage Mistruster

Re: The shopping thread.

Got an Ann Taylor black vest with a beautiful design on it that makes it look a lot like a doublet for $4.  Or it would have been $4 had the nice lady in front of me not paid for it.  It's a real find.

#527 | Back to Top12-10-2010 12:26:12 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Three days ago, I wrote:

Bad news:
-- The level of sequin coverage is lower than I expected/hoped. It looks solid six feet away, but when it's in my hands I can see more of the base fabric than I like.
-- I think both of these are black. I ordered the dress in black and the skirt in grey(which looked charcoal/gunmetal in the picture). I don't want to wear either of them for any amount of time in case I have to return them.
-- The skirt looks too big in the elasticized waist. I may have to suck it up and try on the skirt to be sure, but I may need to go down a size.

After trying both on, my complaints have been amended to:

-- Still not enough sequins, but it still looks solid from about 3 feet away instead of 6. Also, the picture on the website has more sequins.
-- I now think they're both grey/charcoal/gunmetal. In natural lighting, the base fabric is charcoal, so that's my reasoning.
-- The skirt is too big in the waist, but it fits fine elsewhere. I think the next size down would be too little because it's combined sizing( ex. 3/5, 14/16, 28/30), so I'd technically be going down 2 sizes instead of just one.

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Oh it kinda sucks that they stiffed you on the sequins. I swear that designers seem to be so fucking tight in regards to sequins; a number of cute tops just had  the front sequined and plain cloth backs. emot-mad fuck that at 50$+ tax for a tank top, you could cover the damn thing in it.

OH MY GOD, the front-only sequins make me furious! I get so excited when I see a cute sequin tank online at Torrid, Roaman's, or Lane Bryant, and it's only in the front. Part of the reason I bought the skirt and dress from Avenue in the first place was because NO ONE had full-coverage sequins in my size, and I thought that I'd better jump on this before it vanishes. I'm still a bit displeased that they only come in black and grey and no actual colors.

This went as expected and I need the 13 w, however I am so sad because the black pearl/opal essence colored patent leather. I love that color. Clicky

1. I love that patent leather with the oil slick effect. etc-love
2. Are you actually a size 13, or are you actually a 12 that needs wider shoes?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#528 | Back to Top12-11-2010 03:27:47 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I was so going to rock those shoes to work; damn feet, I just need them in a 13 w... I was hoping that I could bullshit my way through with the 12 size but no.

I am Really a size 13 w with flat feet... so that damn near makes most women's shoes fail horribly for me; combined with the fact that I actually like to walk in my shoes and am fat. Sigh

Also I found a sparkly dress http://fashionbug.lanebryant.com/dresse … t=5045%401 you might not mind.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#529 | Back to Top12-18-2010 03:10:54 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

All of this arrived in the mail today (along with a copy of Despicable Me for my brother and Paper Towns for one of my nieces):

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/MyleneMcBride/December2010.jpg

Scary thing? If you take out the Sailor Moon (R2 2010 rerelease of the series), all of that cost less than $150 dollars for 11 series of anime.  Most of them cost between $9 and $13 per series.  Hurray for super cheap anime at Amazon.  (Okay, so probably not a great sign for the anime economy, but I do my part, so it's nice to get a great deal from time to time as well.)

I also placed my order for the Viz sale at Right Stuf today. Mostly just getting the next 1-2 volumes of series I'm already reading, as well as the first two volumes of Bakuman.

Last edited by Mylene (12-18-2010 03:11:49 PM)

#530 | Back to Top12-18-2010 05:01:44 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Definitely a bad sign for the anime economy, but I think that HMV charging $25 per DISC of anime is absolutely ludicrous. At least give a LITTLE incentive for piraters to stop pirating. I understand that there are extra costs associated with translating and subbing a series, but you'd think the pricing would be regulated better. Then again, I do live in Canada, and we seem to get charged more for a lot of things (cellphone bills, internet and video games, for example).

That being said, I still love a wicked sale and your post of new goodies is not dissuasive from spending my remaining Christmas money on anime.

So when can I come over and watch all this with you? emot-biggrin

Last edited by Syora (12-18-2010 05:04:34 PM)

#531 | Back to Top12-18-2010 05:12:16 PM

Mylene

Haha, come over anytime Syora.  We could watch anime for months and never run out. The Anime Gallery de Mylene & Paradox is overflowing with anime.  Almost--but never quite--too much anime. ;)

#532 | Back to Top03-29-2011 01:49:11 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

...I've been online shopping again. emot-gonk

Mostly just various pieces of clothing from generic retail stores, nothing too spectacular, but I did make two purchases that I felt were worth mentioning-- this necklace and these shoes. Fashion has consumed me. I have a problem.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#533 | Back to Top03-29-2011 01:55:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Your problem has excellent taste, at least!

#534 | Back to Top05-07-2011 09:20:10 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Not shelling out the money for them, but I want these boots so badly. Be cheaper, goddamn you!

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#535 | Back to Top05-08-2011 07:38:57 AM

Mylene

Those are cute!

Ugh, I need to go clothes shopping sometime, but I just haven't been in the mood to do so. I need some IRGer to live close to me and help me out. Shopping solo isn't any fun, and the few folks I know in the area I don't think are shoppers or I'm not close enough to to feel comfortable asking for their assistance.

#536 | Back to Top05-08-2011 12:44:11 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Haha, I'm the worst person to go shopping with.  Like, a bad influence fairy that tell you YES, YES YOU SHOULD BUY THAT.  BUY THAT RIGHT NOW.

If you are afraid of shopping alone though, don't be!  Check out the return policies of wherever you are at and keep the receipts in case your fondness for something fades or it turns out to not fit as comfortably as you thought.  I do this for nice shoes when I need them.  I buy them for the occasion, and then return them immediately after claiming that they cut into my ankles or something.  :cheap pimp:

It helps cancel out my impulse buying habit.

Edit:  And clothes shopping by yourself can be really fun -I've done it.  Because you don't have to wait for another person to finish looking at something, or hurry up when they want to go to a new shop, or waste time in a clothing store that doesn't interest you, or feel guilty if you buy more than them, or feel unattractive because they look amazing in every-flipping-thing they try on.  You can just go at your pace and do watcha want!

EDIT THE SECOND:  OMG THOSE BOOTS DOLLFACE.  YES, YES YOU SHOULD BUY THEM.  BUY THEM RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (05-08-2011 12:47:42 PM)

#537 | Back to Top05-08-2011 01:52:03 PM

Mylene

It's not that I'm afraid of shopping alone, I just do not enjoy shopping so having someone there to pass the time makes it less unpleasant.  I've done it both ways, and it's immensely more pleasurable when accompanied by someone who has even an inkling of fashion sense (something I do not have).

And I desperately need someone that says "buy it! buy it!" or else I won't buy anything at all and will leave angry because I just spent hours doing something I dislike without anything to show for it.

Last edited by Mylene (05-08-2011 03:21:56 PM)

#538 | Back to Top12-04-2011 08:19:11 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

So I have an idea of what to wear to my work holiday party... http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Genuine … amp;sr=1-7  if I can fit in to it.
3 questions:
I am guessing that the attire code is semi-formal, do you think that the corset/belt thing; would be over kill/ trying too much?
Does this read more corset or belt ? I was going for the whole belt around the waist look but due to being fat around the belly wanted something that would actually hold me in a bit.
Also I have no idea how to conceal the laces up the back; they might look strange hanging down over my ass?

Suggestions, ideas, help me.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#539 | Back to Top01-14-2012 02:00:41 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'm broke as all hell but I'm seriously tempted to make a big lingerie order on my credit card since Frederick's of Hollywood is doing a 50% off their clearance stuff this weekend.. bad Bonnie! It's really cheap stuff, too, it's just there's SO much I want to get.

But but wouldn't I look cute in this?? They actually have XS! http://www.fredericks.com/on/demandware … ?pid=93548

#540 | Back to Top01-14-2012 06:47:10 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

That would make an amazing base for a goth-industrial themed bellydance outfit. Which makes it multi-purpose, and therefore an excellent buy. Dooooo itttt.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#541 | Back to Top01-14-2012 11:25:09 PM

Brea_the_Brave
Saionji Slapper

Last week I bought a cheap cell phone to replace my broken Blackberry. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PayLo+by+Vi … RRWidgetID It's not high tech by any means, but the battery life is amazing and I don't feel nervous using it when I take public transportation late at night. If it had a built in keyboard it would be perfect. I've been ridiculed for buying it when I could have gotten a decent android phone. I'll keep my cheap flip phone and not be mugged, thank you very much.school-eng101

#542 | Back to Top01-15-2012 12:06:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hee... I feel the same way, Brea.  My cell phone is a "dumb" phone, which means that all it does is make phone calls, send and receive text messages, store contact information, and take pictures.  To me, this is everything I could possibly want my cell phone to do.  I don't want apps, I don't want to surf the web, I just want to communicate using a reliable phone that doesn't break the bank.

I am positive that if I had a smartphone for one month, I would be unable to go back to the state of innocence I exist in now.  emot-frown

#543 | Back to Top01-15-2012 01:05:19 PM

Cherry
Mikage Mistruster
Website

I've spent way too much lately, considering it's january and I'm still broke from christmas. First of all, I had to buy these shoes that I've wanted for MONTHS but could never justify buying. Because I cannot walk in heels. They're not even that high, but I suck. Also, £100.
But my mother found some on eBay for £70, and encouraged me to buy them because she is a terrible influence, apparently. emot-biggrin
I managed to walk to the local shop in them! I had to changed into flats for the walk home, but y'know...I think it just takes practise! I'll get there! Hopefully.

Then I had to buy a new TV because mine was awful and at least 10 years old, and I had bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 with an amazon voucher and I wanted to see Iron Man beating people is ALL HIS GLORY. (That wasn't my only reason, honest) It's only small, but surprisingly good and pretty cheap.
So considering I'd spent quite a bit less on the TV that I had expected, I suppose I subconsciously thought "May as well spend a bit more, seeing as you mentally prepared yourself to be broke!" and I found a CUTE fairisle hooded dress/top and bam.

I never know what to write here..

#544 | Back to Top09-17-2012 02:42:46 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I recently bought a floral ruffled top and some black pants from Forever 21 with a gift card I got for my birthday. I'm a sucker for anything with ruffles. My style has always been kind of cutesy-pie.

Last edited by Riri-kins (09-17-2012 02:43:55 PM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#545 | Back to Top09-17-2012 06:24:48 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

I'm a junk hound, happiest when I'm combing through a scrap heap looking for things of value that can be returned to service. I kept my first car on the road that way, slowly stripping a junkyard's '78 Buick for dirt-cheap parts for my '73 Malibu. Today I talked my way into the storage shed of a hole-in-the-wall PC repair/resale shop and emerged with front panel USB and audio ports with cables and plugs attached, soon to be transplanted onto my PC. All it cost me was ten minutes talking tech with the old guy who runs the shop and tinkers on PCs, and a hamburger from Burger King. emot-dance

Last edited by Nova (09-17-2012 06:25:30 PM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#546 | Back to Top09-17-2012 08:56:06 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

All the makeups. That's what I've been buying, so my haul is:

Bronzer/Blush from NYX
Lip Liner from NYX
Lip Matte Cream
MegaShimmer Pearlescent Powder
Eyeshadow Palette
Tokidoki eyeshadows
eyelash glue
2 bottles of glitter nail polish

...all the makeups XD it's an addiction.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#547 | Back to Top09-18-2012 03:27:38 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Well, since my loan situation finally got sorted out with MSU and it took a month to do, I have an extra sum of money in my semester budget.  So I have been shopping like cray cray buying things I have been needing for months, like a mirror for my vanity, new jeans (I ruined my last pair, it was time to time to let them go to that great big Goodwill in the sky), a lot of groceries and personal items, office supplies and underwear and socks, plus some new pots and pans to replace the cheap ones whose finish washed off (and could not be touched because the outsides left a dusty, gray substance on your fingers!).  Plus some stuff that I have been pining over, like:

Make-Up:

Tarte Amazonian clay blush and Lights Camera Lashes Mascara
Anastasia Perfect brow pencil
Benefit "How to Look the Best at Everything" concealer and foundation set.  I love this thing.  I can take or leave the foundation, which oxidizes a bit too much for me, but the Boing-Concealors are awesome, the Porefessional a must for my nose and the little foundation powder included is just the thing I was looking for in a 'set.'  Everything is sealed and removable except for the powder, and I am hoping that when done I can clean out the little foundation bottle and refill it with some other foundation.  Plus the box has a mirror and magnetizes shut, so when you are done with the make-up it can be used for other tings.  OMG.  SO CUTE AND SMALL AND ORGANIZED.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND some survival and emergency related supplies, like MRE's, food bars, a knife, compass and hand-crank powered radio/flashlight/cell phone charger.

I really want a caviar nails set.  SO STUPID BUT ALSO SO WANT.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-18-2012 03:28:13 PM)

#548 | Back to Top09-18-2012 03:36:26 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

The caviar nails can allegedly be duplicated with really tiny-ass beads from the craft section instead of spending the money on a kit.

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vcgwa/caviar-manicure

Same goes for the flocked/muppet nails.

http://www.xojane.com/diy/flocking-cook … r-manicure

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-18-2012 03:38:07 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#549 | Back to Top09-18-2012 04:22:48 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Raven you is best pony.etc-love

#550 | Back to Top09-18-2012 05:43:19 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Double post because I forgot:

I hate to say it, but I love my Kindle.  I just got the cheapest 6 inch E-ink version, because it would allow me to loan out library books from Meyer without having to go on campus, and to access and store journal articles and other important info from its various databases... and have it all on hand without having to print out the files or invest in a tiny laptop.  And then... I just love it.  I can get tons of cheap, cheap or even free books to read in seconds, and it really does disappear while I'm reading.  The buttons on either side also mean I can easily read one handed, and I am reading more now that I know that both buying books and taking them with me is so much easier.  I'll always buy a hardback of something I really love and wish to share, but it is rather nice to not have to worry about bending any spines or messing up a book-cover when I shove it into my backpack.

Board footer