This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top10-06-2008 11:31:41 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Pet Peeves In Utena Fanfiction

AshnodI think there is room to paint SKU as having occurred in a more-realistic setting. Giving the characters natural hair color doesn't really eliminate anything except the fact that everyone in Japan [i wrote:

but[/i] the main cast has dark hair.

I have to wonder what is gained by making a character, say, blonde, though, instead of peridot or what have you.  If it's integral to the story, sure, but if there was a novelisation of the series, does anyone really think they'd ever feel the need to detail Utena's hair color?  It's a trivial detail in a nonvisual medium (at least ninety-seven percent of the time), especially if we're assuming most people in the story have black (with degrees of red) hair.  The change, as an unnecessary one, not only removes the piece from the world it's working off, but it also draws attention to itself as a change and probably doesn't give us much in return for the violation.

There's room for stories with similar character and situational dynamics to SKU with a more realistic bent, sure, but once you go down that road, it's essentially not SKU anymore, much as Dark Shadows pre-vampires, probably was much DS we know and love.  (I'm guessing here - never seen pre-vampire DS episodes.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#127 | Back to Top10-06-2008 12:15:36 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I think Kanae's hair is supposed to evoke a fresh sprout. A good realistic fan-fic could give her hair a natural human color and convey the sprout-like quality through other means.

#128 | Back to Top10-07-2008 01:09:56 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I have to wonder what is gained by making a character, say, blonde, though, instead of peridot or what have you.  If it's integral to the story, sure, but if there was a novelisation of the series, does anyone really think they'd ever feel the need to detail Utena's hair color?  It's a trivial detail in a nonvisual medium (at least ninety-seven percent of the time), especially if we're assuming most people in the story have black (with degrees of red) hair.  The change, as an unnecessary one, not only removes the piece from the world it's working off, but it also draws attention to itself as a change and probably doesn't give us much in return for the violation.

There's room for stories with similar character and situational dynamics to SKU with a more realistic bent, sure, but once you go down that road, it's essentially not SKU anymore, much as Dark Shadows pre-vampires, probably was much DS we know and love.  (I'm guessing here - never seen pre-vampire DS episodes.)

Actually, I was referring more to fan-fictions that go out of their way to remind you that Utena has pink hair, that Saionji has green hair, etc. It's one thing to see this in an animated medium, especially anime itself where non-realistic hair is a convention of the medium, but another in a text-based one where you aren't dependent upon the visual cue of someone's hair to distinguish them from another character.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#129 | Back to Top10-07-2008 06:52:20 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Ashnod wrote: Actually, I was referring more to fan-fictions that go out of their way to remind you that Utena has pink hair, that Saionji has green hair, etc. It's one thing to see this in an animated medium, especially anime itself where non-realistic hair is a convention of the medium, but another in a text-based one where you aren't dependent upon the visual cue of someone's hair to distinguish them from another character.

This gripe is common to fandoms everywhere! Ah I still remember the good ol' days of devouring Xena/Gabrielle fanfiction and the huge backlash against writers reminding everybody that Xena's eyes were "icy blue" and Gabrielle's were "verdant green". Xena's hair was "black as midnight", but Gabrielle's hair was a lot like Kanae's...it's been described as blonde/red/russet/yellow/light/pale/sunlit/brunette/rosy/orange/wtf and the list goes on and on. emot-rofl

Then of course the most hugely popular fanfic writer in that fandom of all (Missy Good - actually got to write 2 eps for the show too emot-aaa) put the eye/hair color descriptions in. Someone criticized her. And all hell broke loose from her fans. school-devil

I must admit, I'm one of those awful awful people who don't mind a good "pink hair", "bright blue eyes" etc in a fanfic every now and again. Just as long as it's not too much. I know we all know these facts. But I like it for the visual stimulator. I mean, I'm a very visual person and I'm busy trying to imagine the characters every moment. Although I already know Utena's hair is pink I enjoy the verbal reference at semi-appropriate times.

Is anyone else like this? emot-redface

#130 | Back to Top10-07-2008 11:01:20 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Utena is a very intelligent series yet... almost none of Utena fanfiction reflects that. Sure, there's Archemage... and Alan Harnum's unfinished Opus, but not much else that catches SKU's acid trippy-ness and a cerebral backround at once.

Even my fics fail to do this.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#131 | Back to Top10-07-2008 05:20:33 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

sharnii wrote:

I must admit, I'm one of those awful awful people who don't mind a good "pink hair", "bright blue eyes" etc in a fanfic every now and again. Just as long as it's not too much. I know we all know these facts. But I like it for the visual stimulator. I mean, I'm a very visual person and I'm busy trying to imagine the characters every moment. Although I already know Utena's hair is pink I enjoy the verbal reference at semi-appropriate times.

Is anyone else like this? emot-redface

R.A. Salvatore certainly is; I'm sure that every Drizzt Do'Urdan novel he's written references the color of said character's eyes at least twice. And those books are best sellers! He writes things very visually and I think that's a large part of his appeal, it definitely helps when it comes to action sequences.

Personally I like it myself, it adds more flavour to the writing even if I'm fully aware of the visual cues it's making. I'm not sure how accurate this is to say; when I look at a picture of Utena I generally prefer one that's in colour, even though I'm well aware of how she looks in colour while look at a black and white rendition.

Likely the problem, as with in most things, comes from excess. If a writer can't mention Utena's hair without describing the colour (and in the same way) it's going to get old very fast.

Last edited by Ragnarok (10-07-2008 05:21:47 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#132 | Back to Top10-07-2008 06:26:05 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Anthiena wrote:

Utena is a very intelligent series yet... almost none of Utena fanfiction reflects that. Sure, there's Archemage... and Alan Harnum's unfinished Opus, but not much else that catches SKU's acid trippy-ness and a cerebral backround at once.

Even my fics fail to do this.

That's one reason why I don't read or write a lot of SKU fic -- a lot of the weirdness and surreality of the series is in its visual cues, and it's very hard to be subtle about those in the written word. It's like a Brit comedy I used to watch called Teachers. For whatever reason, at some stage in every show you'd see a donkey. In the background. Being unobtrusive. It had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. But it would end with the audience in hysterics, usually. You couldn't be that subtle in words, because by writing the word "donkey" you've brought attention to it at a certain point in time. You have a similar thing with the anime, which has so much going on in the background that the audience becomes aware of on its own, and it's very hard to do that with text. You can, don't get me wrong, but it's a whole 'nother ball game.

With that said, the only fic I wrote for SKU where I thought I got the surreal bit right drew heavily from imagery of poetry by T.S. Eliot, which probably says it all, really. Fuck you, Eliot. Why do I love you? emot-mad

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#133 | Back to Top10-07-2008 07:01:34 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I haven't read fanfiction extensively in years, but I was always perturbed by stories that tried to convey a sense of beauty and mysticism through overly-flowery and poetic language. At no point, reading those, do you forget that you are reading a story, and probably one that some fourteen-year-old wrote with a thesaurus on their lap.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#134 | Back to Top10-08-2008 06:50:46 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Brian wrote: I think Kanae's hair is supposed to evoke a fresh sprout.

Hmm I think you may be right. Um why was this again? Is it meant to show innocence or something? emot-redface emot-rolleyes
Anyway that gives the idea that I might settle for "wheat" as roleplay-Kanae's haircolor of choice. school-eng101 Not that it's a life and death issue...but don't you guys feel cool knowing you've influenced by writing choices? emot-biggrin

Anthiena wrote re fanfic: but not much else that catches SKU's acid trippy-ness and a cerebral backround at once.

Astoundingly hard to do. I don't even try. school-devil In fact I use other people's fanfic (and my own) to try and "come down gently from the high that is watching the anime". Y'know, to explain bits and pieces to me, to make me feel good instead of dead awful, and for all those lovely involved yuri/yaoi scenes that do not happen or do not happen in explicit detail. etc-wankgirl

But yeah, as a voracious reader of fanfic in many fandoms (so of course in SKU!) I'm finding it insanely hard to find good SKU fic (especially when you compare to non-anime fandoms). But when I do...aw it's so great to read. I love it. It fulfils a dif part of me to watching the anime/reading the manga/staring blankly at the movie. Much like AMV watching I guess.

Rag wrote: Personally I like it myself, it adds more flavour to the writing even if I'm fully aware of the visual cues it's making. I'm not sure how accurate this is to say; when I look at a picture of Utena I generally prefer one that's in colour, even though I'm well aware of how she looks in colour while look at a black and white rendition.

Well I love the illustration whether it's accurate or no. Very apt.

Clarice
wrote about a donkey. sharnii laughed and thought it was a good analogy.

Baka wrote:
At no point, reading those, do you forget that you are reading a story, and probably one that some fourteen-year-old wrote with a thesaurus on their lap.

emot-rofl emot-rofl emot-rofl For some reason I'm still laughing...

Maybe because I've read almost every single SKU story on fanfic.net now - so you can imagine how much I've suffered. A LOT.

#135 | Back to Top09-27-2010 08:51:39 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Well, Touga never wangsts about anything. He locks himself in a room of emo for about thirteen episodes.

I don't get the idea behind Juri/Saionji fluff. It's kinda disturbing, actually. I have read one good fic with this pairing, and I probably liked it because it wasn't fluff and it was one-sided on Saionji's part. It wasn't angsty either. Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2406202/1/The_Prowl

I guess Shiori being overly demonized is also annoying. She's not a nice person by any means and she can be cruel, but she is also not the devil incarnate. There's also no way that she'll ever become the school slut and start sleeping with everyone to hurt/piss off Juri. That's not how she does things. Besides, I think that Kozue and Akio would push any fanfic author down the stairs for trying to give away their title of the school sluts away to Shiori. So far, we know that Shiori has slept with Ruka and maybe the Brown Haired Boy seen in the flashbacks (and also Juri in my naughty imagination.emot-wink) That's hardly slutty.

#136 | Back to Top09-30-2010 10:57:15 PM

RhythmFusion
Rose Smilee

sharnii wrote:

As a new SKU fan I am wading through fanfic.net at the moment, and OMG you would not believe the mountain of trash I have had to skim through to find a few (very few) nuggets of gold. Or bronze even. (Or if you've tried it yourself, I'm sure you will believe me!)

I understand that all too well. This seems to be a problem with almost every fandom nowadays.

"But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail." ~ Lady Macbeth; Macbeth - Act One, Scene 7
"Crying is such hypocrisy. How can happiness cause the same reaction as sadness? Does pleasure share the same edge of the blade of life as pain?" - What His Crimson Eyes Believe in: Ch. 2

#137 | Back to Top10-06-2010 06:31:32 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Well, the problem with fanfiction is it's mostly wish fullfillment, and even I have to admit I'll tolerate badfic if it has some fluff with my favorite couple.
You know what ticks me off, though? Stories where anybody but Nanami calls Saionji by his first name! Who else called him Kyoichi in the show?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#138 | Back to Top10-29-2010 07:07:07 PM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

My main problem is fics written like this:

~~~

Utena: OMG i sudenly have crazy lesbain feelings for Anthy! CONFESSHUN!

Anthy: MEH PRINCE etc-love etc-love etc-love

*insert crazy kinky sex scene here*

Akio: emot-aaa etc-wankgirl

~~~

(I actually thought that was what most Utena fanfiction would be like. So far I've been pleasantly surprised emot-biggrin)

I'm a complete grammar Nazi, so I never read anything with bad spelling-it just pisses me off too much to pay attention to the story. I can forgive minor spelling mistakes, but it turns me off of a story immediately if there are too many. I'm just OCD like that.

I also don't like misleading summaries, but that's minor...

As I stated earlier in the parentheses, I've so far been pleasantly surprised by the amount of deep, intelligent fanfiction for Utena. It has the highest ratio of good stories I've ever seen, and that makes me so ridiculously happy after putting up with all the other crap for so long.

I love RGU and its fandom as well etc-love

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#139 | Back to Top05-24-2012 11:19:00 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

My main peeve with some Utena fanfiction would be how post-series Anthy often got depicted as this poster-girl of North American Feminism (i.e. a physically and verbally aggressive tough chick who completely lacks the subtlety, maturity, and intricate grace of her canon character).  Just because someone is "empowered" doesn't mean they become a completely different (and infinitely more shallow) being afterwards, for Christ's sake. 

Like, at the ending of the SKU anime, they showed Anthy condemning Akio with cutting but civil words prior to walking out on him, in a manner befitting of a liberated lady - we don't see her bitch-slapping her pimp bro, torched his planetarium, then graffiti-ing the school buildings as she stormed off mouthing swear words, do we?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#140 | Back to Top05-24-2012 11:25:05 AM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

My main peeve with some Utena fanfiction would be how post-series Anthy often got depicted as this poster-girl of North American Feminism (i.e. a physically and verbally aggressive tough chick who completely lacks the subtlety, maturity, and intricate grace of her canon character).  Just because someone is "empowered" doesn't mean they become a completely different (and infinitely more shallow) being afterwards, for Christ's sake. 

Like, at the ending of the SKU anime, they showed Anthy condemning Akio with cutting but civil words prior to walking out on him, in a manner befitting of a liberated lady - we don't see her bitch-slapping her pimp bro, torched his planetarium, then graffiti-ing the school buildings as she stormed off mouthing swear words, do we?

And now, I have this image in my head of Anthy as Tank Girl. emot-biggrin

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#141 | Back to Top05-24-2012 11:32:25 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

And now, I have this image in my head of Anthy as Tank Girl.

Seriously, if the fic puts itself out as a crack fic then I can buy tough, rough Anthy.  But if it's a work that tries passing itself off as being serious (and with canon base), then that's just a big no-no to me.

Damn, now that I've mouthed off about badly written Anthy in others' works, I better again double-check my own Seinen fic prior to putting out part 4 . . . after all, I do know how not everyone can stomach the thought of a trans man post-series Utena as having canon basis . . .

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (05-24-2012 01:44:52 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#142 | Back to Top05-28-2012 02:34:47 AM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

Oh goodness, mostly stuff that has been brought up already!

- Ski trips and other cliche romantic getaways
- Shameless (soulless) self-insertion
- Uncharacteristic displays of love, passion, angst, and the like (look, I'm not one to hold a fic writer back because -my- idea of such-and-such character dictates that they could and would never act this way, but it's not entirely undetectable when a writer is painting a character with his/her insecurities, anguish, and eyeliner)

Lastly, and I dislike this in all writing: being told, not shown, that two people are in love. Especially in fanfics, in which a non-canon relationship is at the core of a fic, an unlikely pairing of two complex characters. And once they declare their love, they are these two empty, plastic people in love with each other - no semblance of the characters they were before, simply in love and that's that. Why keep reading after that? This problem has plagued romance novels for decades; I can't fault fairy-tales for ending with the happily-ever-afters because frankly it seems to be a challenge to create intrigue in a loving relationship.

#143 | Back to Top05-28-2012 07:51:48 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lastly, and I dislike this in all writing: being told, not shown, that two people are in love. Especially in fanfics, in which a non-canon relationship is at the core of a fic, an unlikely pairing of two complex characters. And once they declare their love, they are these two empty, plastic people in love with each other - no semblance of the characters they were before, simply in love and that's that. Why keep reading after that? This problem has plagued romance novels for decades; I can't fault fairy-tales for ending with the happily-ever-afters because frankly it seems to be a challenge to create intrigue in a loving relationship.

Word, Rebel Prince; ill-presented "romance" in writing just stinks.

Characterization wise, I also got a huge problem with Utena fics where a character (especially a non-Utena char.) makes a self-conscious attempt to try and become a better, morally good person, because frankly that's just not what the Utena characters are about; the main cast are all driven and motivated by their own dreams/desires/ideals into doing what they did in the show: Juri is not in it to become a better person, nor Miki, nor the rest of the student council.  I've seen many fics (some widely-praised, even) making this mistake, and it just baffles me as to which show people are actually watching and calling it SKU.  Nobody is acting upon moral reasons, not even Utena (not really), who befriends victim-Anthy and is in the duels so she can play the princely figure she had idealized since childhood.  I mean, if these people are even striving to be good people, some non-Nanami, non-Keiko person would've expressed some concern at Touga's disappearance/emo retreat throughout the presumed month plus that was the Black Rose Saga.  Utena is a show about people devoting themselves to protect/make real their own memories, dreams, and ideals, it's not about striving to be "good" or "bad" people, guys.

Back to writing and thus posting further parts to my own fic thread here at this forum (and thus hopefully not generating any pet peeves for others to bitch over around the Net for years to come). emot-redface

#144 | Back to Top05-28-2012 02:25:53 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Rebel Prince wrote:

Lastly, and I dislike this in all writing: being told, not shown, that two people are in love.

Ugh, yes. How hard is it to let actions speak for themself? This doesn't just go for romance either, though it's often the worst offender.

#145 | Back to Top05-28-2012 03:16:51 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

How hard is it to let actions speak for themself?

Word.

#146 | Back to Top07-13-2012 08:17:42 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Sounds like the "real women never wear dresses" fallacy to me - in other words, the tendency of many fans to worship tough action girls and brand feminine women as "inferior" and "anti-feminist", despite the fact that bashing feminity is pretty misogynistic in itself. There used to be a page about it on TV Tropes, though I think it's gotten butchered now... anyway, there are many ways for someone to be empowered, whether they're tough action girls or girly-girls or anywhere in between, and the fact that end-of-series!Anthy has gained that much more confidence and is finally able to walk out on her brother makes her plenty strong.

As for my own grievances...

*Calling Anthy "Anshii". I know that's how her name is literally pronounced in Japanese, but to me it's like refering to Cloud from FFVII as "Kuraudo" or something.

*Gratuitious character bashing - and on a related note, warping a character's personality into a strawman for the sake of easier bashing. If a writer hates a character so much that they can't even write about them in a neutral manner, then I have to wonder why they bother including the character in their fics in the first place. Don't like Shiori? Don't write about her! Can't stand Touga? Don't give him a major role! Not only is it irritating to fans who actually like the bashed characters (and I should know, since Shiori is my favourite) but it can be disruptive for people who just want to read a good fic.

*On the other hand, giving the Draco in Leather Pants treatment to baddies is annoying as well. It's okay to like villains and still recognise that they're bastards, really. Also, in the case of good characters, deifying them to the point where people refuse to acknowledge that they have any flaws at all.

*Blatant soapboxing. The characters do not, and should not, need to be mouthpieces for a fanfic author's political and/or fandom views.

*Pointless AUs that do little more than slap SKU characters' names onto generic archetypes that don't even try to be anything like the canon characters.

And I think the rest of mine are the usual problems with crappy spelling/grammar and OOCness that apply to any fandom ever.

#147 | Back to Top07-13-2012 09:54:36 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

MikoGalatea wrote:

Don't like Shiori? Don't write about her! Can't stand Touga? Don't give him a major role!

At last, someone aside from myself who likes flawed but non-dumbed-down-demonized Shiori!

Touga, even more than Saionji, is often depicted as this "Akio's lackey for lackey's sake" character in post-series fics (some very well-received, even), which completely ignored what he (and Saionji) had showed during his(their) final duel against Utena (that Touga slept with Akio for control over the duels' situation, but he cherished Utena as a person; that, and Saionji was enough of a friend to support Touga as bride, even knowing his own chance for revolution is over).

#148 | Back to Top07-15-2012 04:29:11 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

At last, someone aside from myself who likes flawed but non-dumbed-down-demonized Shiori!

Demonised portrayals of Shiori piss me off so much. I know she's no saint, but I still hate it when people make her out to be nothing but a jealous bitch whose entire existence revolves around making poor perfect Juri-sama miserable; it's like they view every one of her scenes through super-narrow Juri-blinkers without even trying to consider her side of things. Also, Juri isn't perfect.

As for Touga, while there's plenty of legitimate reasons to hate him, the way some people portray him still rubs me the wrong way. To them, he's a monstrous, misogynistic Akio-wannabe and that's the be-all and end-all of his character; okay, he is a misogynistic Akio-wannabe, I won't deny that, but they act as if he never got any development at all - and that's what I disagree with. Episode 35 suggested to me that he didn't really want to be like Akio anymore and that he was fooling himself, so to see him still be the other man's lackey in post-series fic doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Also, yeah, he went about trying to protect Utena in a dickish way even after coming to care about her, but I think that's more realistic than for someone like him to suddenly become a wonderful person overnight. He's still no prince by any means, but he does change, and that ought to at least be acknowledged; people don't even need to like him at all to do that.

I guess I just get sick of these characters and others being portrayed in too shallow a manner, because I believe that to dismiss any significant SKU character as shallow is doing the series a big disservice.

#149 | Back to Top08-06-2013 04:28:53 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

It doesn't count as a double post when they're separated by more than a year, does it? emot-confused

Anyway.

As much as I'm a part of the "Anthy is a woobie who deserves love and hugs and a happy ending" side of the broken base, I'm getting increasingly fed up with people who act like she's an absolute saint with not a single bad thought in her head. Like it or not, she does have a passive-aggressive streak, and while most people she lashes out at have hurt her beforehand (e.g. Saionji, Nanami) she's also notably mean to Kanae, even when she's done absolutely nothing wrong to her. She's certainly not a monster like her brother is, and nothing she does is as bad as what he does, but she's not a total angel either.

I guess the reason this annoys me so much is not just because it flattens Anthy's character just as much as a villainised interpretation, but also because it erases her agency; her covert trolling in the comedy fillers is one of the only ways she can fight back against those who torment and oppress her, and denying that she even does it feels kind of like taking her few weapons away.

#150 | Back to Top08-06-2013 04:40:04 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I have a very specific peeve, which is post-series Utena living on her own immediately after leaving Ohtori. I've seen this in a few fics, and it makes no sense. Judging from the attendance at her parents' funeral, she must have had quite a few relatives, even without an Aunt Yurika figure. It's not like the Swords of Hatred aged her four years and made her completely independent. This is a fourteen year old girl; one who's gone through more shit than anyone else at that age, but a child nonetheless.

Board footer