This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

Poll

What roses shall I plant in my garden? Which does Anthy keep?

Hardy, climbing roses.

60% - 3
English tea roses.

40% - 2
Voters: 6

#1 | Back to Top06-19-2014 08:15:52 PM

classic.inclined
New Student

Wanting to plant a rose garden...

Good evening one & all.
This is my first post, and since we are speaking in a rose garden, I might as well ask a question pertaining to roses. It's June, and I wanted to plant a few rose bushes in my garden this month. I don't expect flowers this year, but they should bloom next year (if all goes well). Does anyone have any recommendations for the type of rose I should plant? With the weather I have here, they must be hardy. I don't know too much about roses, so I need a second opinion.
Oh, and Anthy is always watering her roses (for all eternity it seems!). What variety do you think she keeps in her lovely, confining greenhouse? Or rather, what type would she keep? I suppose I want the same sort. emot-rolleyes Thanks.

Why are roses so embedded the psyches of each and every character within the world of Utena??

Last edited by classic.inclined (06-19-2014 08:20:57 PM)

#2 | Back to Top06-20-2014 02:36:12 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Wanting to plant a rose garden...

Hullo! emot-smile

I think the first question is where exactly are ya? And if you are new to gardening, you might want to pass on the smaller tea roses. I hear they're trickier. The other question is are you after the look or the scent? The classic rose you buy in the store isn't even close to the most aromatic one.

Though you just reminded me to go to the huge greenhouse in Edmonton and get my sniff on. emot-dance (Damn place gave me aphids last year though so no one's coming  home.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top06-20-2014 09:13:03 PM

classic.inclined
New Student

Hello again.

Well I'm from Canada as well- further east. I don't know about you, but the winter we had was bloody brutal! And it's still cool! emot-mad I don't think tea roses could survive our heavy winters. They are too delicate. I suppose I want colour and texture. I always admired thickly blooms with layers of petals. I'm not too fussy with fragrance (I have lilacs and lilies for that). I wonder if I were to plant climbing roses, must they be able to climb a wall or fence.
I just had a lovely thought... They should create a new rose named "Utena" or "Anthy". What would they look like, I wonder? Believe it or not, I found in a book a rose named Jekyll... after the poor Dr. Jekyll who turns into Hyde. Do you have any favorite roses (or flowers of any kind?) Thank you kindly.

#4 | Back to Top06-22-2014 03:20:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://www.northscaping.com/IZArticles/IS-0091 This has a whole bunch of northern roses to look at! The Sunrise Sunset grows everywhere in Alberta this time of year, and if it grows here, well it can grow anywhere. emot-gonk The Winnipeg Parks and Champlain ones look to me the most like the ones Anthy grows.

Climbing plants are sadpants without anything to climb. I learned that last year waiting too long to give stands to my tomatoes.

I love roses, period. I don't have a favorite kind. I like big pretty ones, small stinky ones, all of it. The ones with the fuller almost savory smell are my favorite for that, the ones that smell most like pure rose absolute. (Which is a rather musky scent...)

I can imagine roses and lilacs together would be divine! The lilacs come in and out ahead of the roses here so you never get both. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer