This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-06-2008 10:52:52 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Funny Linguistic Issues: Idioms etc.

I've always been partial to "skunked" for drunk, and my family all still use "stoned" and "high" in reference to drunkeness as well as, y'know, other chemically-induced states.

And, while it's a common saw (usually by transplanted northerners) that "Bless their heart" means the bitch, that sumbitch, et cetera, I think it's important to note it is also almost always literal.  Some people just can't help being a fuck up, and so you can't really hold it against them.

"Sparking" and "lighting" for sex, seem to have stayed alive in Native American circles, while dying off in overall American culture.  As has "carrying" for dating.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#27 | Back to Top10-07-2008 03:10:49 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

rhyaniwyn wrote:

"He couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the sole."  (He's stupid)

Only other thing coming to mind is the ever popular (and I believe probably common in other english speaking countries) "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

This first one is just emot-biggrin My brother used to say that something is 'idiotproof' when something is really easy to use.
And we have similiar idiom about gift horse, but instead 'mouth' we say 'tooth'.
Oh, when someone is going to vomit, it's possible to hear sth like: I'm going to unleash/let peacock. Farting is called 'unleashing/freeing gad-fly'. Of course it's difficult to translate idiom, because word-play is used sometimes.

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I've always been partial to "skunked" for drunk, and my family all still use "stoned" and "high" in reference to drunkeness as well as, y'know, other chemically-induced states.

And, while it's a common saw (usually by transplanted northerners) that "Bless their heart" means the bitch, that sumbitch, et cetera, I think it's important to note it is also almost always literal.  Some people just can't help being a fuck up, and so you can't really hold it against them.

"Sparking" and "lighting" for sex, seem to have stayed alive in Native American circles, while dying off in overall American culture.  As has "carrying" for dating.

We don't have idioms for being stoned. emot-frown But, we have idiom for being really drunk:
* drunk in three asses (my favourite emot-tongue )
* drunk till dead
* drunk like a masserschmidt ( I have no idea why emot-confused )

"Lighting" is just cool. I think I will use it now emot-tongue

#28 | Back to Top10-07-2008 10:44:32 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

That's funny that you'd translate "Bless their heart" into an insult.  "Bless their heart" means just that in my family (country southern ;-)), "god bless that person".  Depending on context, it can be sarcastic, like that person is an asshole and you're saying that just because you're not sinking to their level.  Or it can be sympathetic, like if a perfectly nice person has had a run of really bad luck and you just mean, "that poor thing."  *shrug*

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#29 | Back to Top10-07-2008 12:51:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

dlaire wrote:

We don't have idioms for being stoned. emot-frown But, we have idiom for being really drunk:
* drunk in three asses (my favourite emot-tongue )
* drunk till dead
* drunk like a masserschmidt ( I have no idea why emot-confused )

I don't know about the third one, but the first two translate okay to English!  We say "drunk off his ass" instead of "drunk in three asses," and "dead drunk" instead of "drunk till dead," but... pretty similar!

How about irresistable attraction?  In English we use the idiom "like a moth to a flame" to describe an obsessive and perhaps destructive fascination, from the fact that some moths fly towards bright lights even when it means their death.  Do other languages have the same idiom?

#30 | Back to Top10-07-2008 02:15:39 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

For some reason, Brits, and Aussies in particular have great idioms for drunkenness...wonder why that could be...

My personal favorite it for someone to be "out of his face". Something a bit visceral about that one.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#31 | Back to Top10-07-2008 03:57:41 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Depending on context, it can be sarcastic, like that person is an asshole and you're saying that just because you're not sinking to their level.  Or it can be sympathetic, like if a perfectly nice person has had a run of really bad luck and you just mean, "that poor thing."

That's what I mean.  I think, it's used only or primarily an insult by people not born using it.  Coopted by northerners it becomes an insult.  Used by southerners, it's usually in earnest.

"Poor little me, with a button for a head," has to be less an idiom and more a direct quote, but damned if I can find any evidence of an origin.

It occurs to me, that dogs get called "wahampi" at Pine Ridge a lot.  Means, "soup."

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#32 | Back to Top10-11-2008 03:37:14 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes wrote:

How about irresistable attraction?  In English we use the idiom "like a moth to a flame" to describe an obsessive and perhaps destructive fascination, from the fact that some moths fly towards bright lights even when it means their death.  Do other languages have the same idiom?

We use very similiar expression, with 'candle' instead of 'flame'.

What's funny, we have idiom 'to drill somebody hole in stomach' when someone is insisting on doing something (esp. a favour) in a very persistent way. When someone is in low spirits, we can say that he/she 'has flies in nose' or 'is not in souce'. emot-tongue
When someone starts talking about something completely different than current conversation, it's common to ask: 'What gingerbread has to do with windmill?'.
And my favourite lately: 'to drop like a plum in a compote' which means getting into trouble. Similiar one 'from the rain into gutter' means getting into more serious trouble than before.
When someone gaze at someone, we say he/she 'looks at X like lamb at painted gate'. Expression 'butter-like sight' is popular too.

#33 | Back to Top10-11-2008 10:34:19 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

I always thought that 'carrying a torch' was a weird expression for having a crush on someone. I mean, I always think of the Statue of Liberty, or the olympics...

In my family, for non-sequiturs, we use "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?" although I've never heard anyone else use it, so perhaps it's just me.

Last edited by Mishi (10-11-2008 10:36:09 AM)

#34 | Back to Top10-11-2008 03:07:44 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

dlaire wrote:

Similiar one 'from the rain into gutter' means getting into more serious trouble than before.

'Out of the frying pan and into the fire.' emot-smile

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#35 | Back to Top10-11-2008 03:38:04 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

"Henpeck" for nudging excessively.

And in a similar vein to tea prices and gingerbread windmills, in reponse to excessive or annoying what ifs, "What if hats were ants?" or the reverse.

#36 | Back to Top10-12-2008 02:05:54 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

"Henpeck" for nudging excessively.

And in a similar vein to tea prices and gingerbread windmills, in reponse to excessive or annoying what ifs, "What if hats were ants?" or the reverse.

We have also 'if grandma had a mustache, she would be a grandad' emot-biggrin

Mishi wrote:

'carrying a torch'

LOL! I heard that 'having an ensigner' in German means that someone smells like vodka emot-smile We have cool expression for doing sth meaningless, stupid - 'to bring trees to a forest'. emot-smile When someone behaves as if she/he didn't undestand anything, we say that she/he acts as if X 'was sitting on a turkish sermon'. I suppose it's just because Polish and Turkish language are completely different.

#37 | Back to Top10-12-2008 02:38:27 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

For some reason, Brits, and Aussies in particular have great idioms for drunkenness...wonder why that could be...

My personal favorite it for someone to be "out of his face". Something a bit visceral about that one.

I think you may mean "off his face," but that's how we have it in New Zealand. I suppose the other hilarious one is "wankered," i.e. "he's totally wankered" where it substitutes for "hammered." emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#38 | Back to Top10-12-2008 03:08:52 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

"out of his face".

"off his face,"

All I can think of is the Hellblazer issue by Garth Ennis, around or just after the gigantic" blunt bit, where Zatanna is so, um, out of her face, she says it backwards (literallly, ".ecaf ym fo tuo M').

I don't know that I've ever encountered it otherwise, but then, I have led a sheltered life.

#39 | Back to Top10-13-2008 08:56:09 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

I'm not really sure what 'tosser' means, but since I'm such a Britannophile, I love that turn of phrase anyway.

#40 | Back to Top10-13-2008 11:10:35 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Mishi wrote:

I'm not really sure what 'tosser' means, but since I'm such a Britannophile, I love that turn of phrase anyway.

It means dickhead, I suppose. Like, "What a fucking tosser." May also be shortened to "toss," as in "what a toss." Also can be used as in "I don't give a toss." You'll hear it a lot in Aussie and New Zealand, too. It more or less means "wanker" because we'll use the same hand gesture to imply both. school-devil

My favourite phrase picked up from the UK that I wouldn't usually use here is describing everything as "right" something, as in "that's right proper" or "you're right mad, you are." I've also picked up the habit of calling every mentally-challenged individual I meet a "mentalist," which is also something I never hear outside Britain. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#41 | Back to Top10-14-2008 09:14:40 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Huzza for this thread.

I make up alot of random shit to express my feelings about things. For example, ass fuck am and ass rape o'clock describe my abhorrence of having to get up before 9/10ish.

But I can recall a faviorite phrase or two that I wonder if they have any international equivalent.

I don't have shit to do with shonila (sp?) and My name is Bennett and I ain't in it

They both mean that either you did not have anything to do with it or you are absolving your self of any responsibility.

Or some recent favs that are stolen from the Military, FUBAR, SNAFU, FUBARBUNDY emot-gonk Sadly these are describing  my life kinda.

Adding to the UK Love of phrasing "Roger" means to screw I heard via the tv show CHEF.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (10-14-2008 09:16:31 AM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#42 | Back to Top10-14-2008 09:47:45 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

Huzza for this thread.

I make up alot of random shit to express my feelings about things. For example, ass fuck am and ass rape o'clock describe my abhorrence of having to get up before 9/10ish.

But I can recall a faviorite phrase or two that I wonder if they have any international equivalent.

I don't have shit to do with shonila (sp?) and My name is Bennett and I ain't in it

They both mean that either you did not have anything to do with it or you are absolving your self of any responsibility.

Why Bennet? It makes me think about 'Pride and Prejudice'. emot-tongue
Another Polish expression for having hands clean is 'it's not my brooch'.
When someone it taking ALL clothes off, we say he/she 'is undressing till/until broth'. Yeah it's stupid and it doesn't mean anything. It's not a word-play too. emot-confused

What expressions do you have to call someone crazy?

#43 | Back to Top10-14-2008 10:45:27 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

dlaire wrote:

In Catalan, some frequently used ones would be "to be wounded (or 'shot') on their wing", or "wounded on their mushroom"; "to lose their ball"; "to be like a watering can"...

In Spanish, you might say that "someone is crazy enough to be tied".

#44 | Back to Top10-14-2008 11:23:41 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Mad as a hatter.

Two fries short of a happy meal.

The lights are on but no one's home.

Has a few bats in the belfry.

Nuts. Screwloose. Not all there.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#45 | Back to Top10-14-2008 02:56:34 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I've heard "flown off into the wild blue yonder", bonkers, nutter, monkeys clacking Shakespeare... off one's rocker.... gone coocoo... ready for the men in white coats... UFO chaser....

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#46 | Back to Top10-14-2008 05:02:08 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

"Cheese has slipped off his/her cracker..."

"One clown short of a circus..."

"One sandwich short of a picnic..."

"Lost his/her marbles..."

"One beer short of a six-pack..."

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#47 | Back to Top10-14-2008 06:33:08 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

dlaire wrote:

My favourite British-ism is to say someone's barking. As in "barking mad," although I have no idea where it came from. Usually you'd just say barking, too. emot-rofl

And yes, rogering someone is roughly equivalent to screwing them, but whenever I hear the phrase I just think of a quote from Blackadder that goes roughly: "I don't care if he's been rogering him with a prize-winning leek, I WANT MY PIGEON!"

...I love the British. emot-rofl

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#48 | Back to Top10-14-2008 06:48:42 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Oooh nice topic emot-biggrin

"Prendere due piccioni con una fava" it's the equal of "Kill two birds with two stones". Even if the translation it's not the same, they share the same meaning.

"Fidarsi č bene, non fidarsi č meglio." ("Trust someone is good, don't trust him is better").

"Tra il dire e il fare c'č di mezzo il mare." means: between saying that I will doing something and really doing it, there's a lot of difference. (Wow it's very hard to translate idioms emot-mad)

"Uccello in gabbia non canta per amor, canta per rabbia." ("A birds in a jail doesn't sing for joy, but for rage").

"Una ciliegia tira l'altra." simply: do you like poptart right? Then when you finish to eat a poptart, you want another one... and another one... etc

"Bacco, Tabacco e Venere, riducon l'uomo in cenere." namely: Drinking, smoking and sex turn man into ashes (I don't like this, but my grandfather always say this).

And now some pure sicilian idioms!

"A MAL'ERVA 'UN SICCA MAI"
("Wickedness will always be present in the world")

"U PISCI R -U MARI Č RISTINĀTU CU SI L'HAVI A MANGIARI"
("You can't change your fate")

"QUANNU L'AMICI VENNU 'A MALA CERA 'UN SERVA NENTI"
("When something of bad happens, you don't have to despare")

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#49 | Back to Top12-03-2008 10:52:43 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Something new came to my mind:
* to tear cats (with sb) - to quarrel with sb
* to escape where pepper grows - to go far far away

emot-smile

#50 | Back to Top12-03-2008 11:20:07 PM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

Here's are a few that aren't used very often, but I've heard from time to time in my area.

"Wash the dishes" - a phrase that is used as a euphemism for sex (Actually, a friend and I use this particular one all the time in joke, but I don't hear other people say it very often. I'm sure it will catch on at some point.)
and, following the drunkedness theme
"He/She is a 'Greek Princess'" the Greek Princess bit meaning insanely drunk, quite possibly to the point of disillusioning yourself to thinking you are one. I think it's more specifically to do with wine, too. I'm not positive there.

Board footer