This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-02-2013 09:51:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

RoseCon 2014: We tried so hard and got so far, but RC is off this year

THE TIME HAS COME.

To start planning for the time that'll come in like, a year. RoseCon 2014! In Seattle we threatened to keep it challenging and force a border hop, and we're making good on that. A lot of names came up at RC2012, and a lot of cities have been mentioned. One stood out as an excellent choice for a first border jump. RoseCon 2014 is going to be in August, in Montreal. (Before you freak out because lolCanadalol, the average temp there is 60-85F in August.)

Montreal has a lot going for it for us! All the snobbiness of the French tempered by the ultimate responsibility of every Canadian not to be a total dick! A language barrier, but a soft one--English is widely understood and used there. The architecture's beautiful, the history is unique and wholly its own in North America, the weather will be amazing, and there's enough to do to keep all of us, art snobs, bar hoppers, and chronic wankers alike, happy and busy.

Don't believe me? A cursory Google and you'll be reamed with information about the city, and check out August--Canadian cities literally go completely nuts in August with festivals and events. It's the only month, after all, that they can count on not being covered in snow. Where to go, how, and for how much will be hashed out in this here thread, and input is VERY WANTED. RC is a group thing. The only down solid things are that it'll be in August and we'll want to stay in Ville-Marie. Which is downtown.

I'm not going to sell the location in this post. Those of you that have been to a RoseCon know it could be held in the middle of Kansas and still be a blast. (Sorry Kansas, but man.) Those of you that haven't can guess well enough what it's about. A bunch of us get together, explore a city, watch a crapload of SKU, and just have a wicked awesome time. It was NYC in 2008, New Orleans in 2010, and Seattle last year. So yes, there's a pedigree here, and no, this isn't something that we talk about and then not do.

Actually, kind of the opposite. Which brings us to the hairy thing about RC14. RoseCon, I'm honored and touched to say, has been wildly successful. Seattle kicked TONS of ass and I regret nothing, but on reflection it was a little too successful. A lot of people came, I think at any given moment the main room could be filled with 20+ IRGers, friends, and lovers. Some only stopped by, others stayed the whole weekend. It was a lot of fun, but it was also a gong show, and made it very hard for us to actually organize or do anything. An army of 20 people trying to get down a street or get into a restaurant is not easy. So it is with a heavy heart that we actually have to place a limit on the head count this time. We'd love to just say 'EVERYONE COME RAWR' but truth be told, it's too hard to manage such a large crowd. We call it RoseCon, but this is really more of a meeting of friends. I don't want to start having to regiment something that thrives best left more open.

There was a lot of thinking about the most fair way to do this. The solution is thus:

1. There will be a 16 head limit on the number of attendees. (Including us mods. Yasha and I are absolutely going, so consider it down to 14 already. I am wavering on whether to try for a week in Montreal, or a week in Montreal by way of a flight into Eastern Canada where we'll feed on cheap lobster for days and then roll into RC pooping seabug.)
2. This needs to be IRG only. This can change if there aren't enough IRGers to fill out the 14, but for the timebeing, assume there will be.
3. The 14 people to go will be the first 14 to commit to going. That's 'Yes, we're fucking going, we have the flights, we booked the hotel, we got the time off.' by all means announce your desire to go today, but if 14 people beat you to being able to say without a doubt they're going, then...sorry.
4. Four months advance notice is typically ideal for the satisfaction of employers, hotels, and airlines. As such, we need people to confirm that they are attending by a date in April based on when in August RC lands. When you're dealing with a city someone from the forum lives in or knows very very well, and you're not in a foreign country, and half the people drove there, doing things like deciding at the last minute to attend aren't entirely unmanageable. This is different. Montreal, unless one of you lives there that I don't know about, is new for us all. It is a different country. The vast majority of us will be flying in. And it's high-season there. We are going to be fighting over the same affordable hotels and flights that everyone else will be. We have to be prepared. Like Scar.

This is literally the fairest way we could think of. It does, unfairly, favor people with more stable life/financial situations. We're sorry about that. That's the breaks. That's why this is being announced obscenely early. Start saving up. Get your passport made.

So. What we need to do from here is decide a date for the con. Two out of the three RCs we've done were in August, it's just the easiest time for everyone, students included, to get off. It's 'scheduled' as a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, though the party's always in swing on Thursday. Given that this is a bigger trip to make for most of us, I'd love some feedback about making it simply a longer event. Saying it starts Thursday. (Which means the party will start Wednesday.) Yasha and I plan to be in Montreal at least two or three days prior to everyone's arrival to scout out stuff and eat poutine. Which weekend in August we land on is dependent on availability, so think ahead guys, and let us know which slots are most likely available to you. Classes start on the 20th? Let us know. We'll set the date for when it enables the most people to come that want to.

We also need to find a hotel. We've had awesome luck in NOLA and Seattle with choosing a single hotel for us all to take over, and I'd LOVE to repeat our success in Seattle and rent a very large room for us to meet up in. I think that worked smashingly. Again, we'll want to stay in Ville-Marie. Where in that neighborhood, we need to research and decide on.

RoseCon has always been a very loosely scheduled thing. We're all there, but a few will peel off to shop, a few want to check out the museums, etc. We have, however, had a tradition of one meal we all go to (we have to book more than one table obviously) and it's always been something a little upscale, and something special about the region we're in. So. I hope you guys like French food smothered in cheese curds and gravy. So we need to choose a restaurant.

Obviously, we also all gather for the traditional SKU viewing. In the past this has resulted to things like ZUM with Lady Gaga hands, and thumbing through piles of ridiculous doujinshi where Saionji's forced to wear a dress for Akio and Touga. (BTW, someone, ahem, was dressed as Saionji while we did this. Not in a dress.) This is where a lot of us have gotten creative or just plain devoted. Sega Saturns have been brought, cities have been torn apart for AV equipment, Saionji cookies have been made. (Saionji fans seem to be a very vocal, bordering on psychotic, minority.)

SO. Thoughts? Rotten tomatoes? Blind enthusiasm? RoseCon has always been a lot of really hard work for us mods, but it is special. This is something unique to IRG, and unique to internet communities period. They have been some of the most amazing experiences in my life. I'm proud of them. It sounds like I'm selling the Brooklyn Bridge here, but if you don't already know: This is the kind of thing you'll remember forever. It's worth it. And the restrictions we have placed on it this time we'll do our damned to make the best of. No one's alone in planning this thing, and no one's input isn't valid. Together we make this amazing, affordable, and completely impossible to explain to others.

Yasha Edit: Here are the trip reports from the old RoseCons. Man, we had a lot of fun. emot-keke

RoseCon NYC Trip Report
RoseCon NOLA Preliminary Thread and Trip Report
RoseCon Seattle Trip Report

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top10-02-2013 09:51:50 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: RoseCon 2014: We tried so hard and got so far, but RC is off this year

One important thing I want everyone to note: Because of the limit on how many people we feel safe keeping track of, we will not hold spots for anyone unless they have fully confirmed. That means passports in hand, and time off, plane tickets, and hotel rooms booked. The only people who get any leeway on this are the mods, as they put their unpaid time and effort into running the forum and it's only fair to them (DD doesn't know if he can come yet, but we expect satyreyes to confirm sometime next week emot-keke).

This means that it doesn't matter whether you've been to RoseCon before or not, or whether we personally know you or not-- you all have the same chances. While we certainly expect that our regulars and the people who've been to other RoseCons will make more of an effort to confirm with us soon, we really want to encourage some of the newer people to come to RoseCon as well! It doesn't matter how long you've been here-- the fact that you're an IRG member means we'll have a blast! emot-keke

Edit:

Giovanna wrote:

It's the only month, after all, that they can count on not being covered in snow.

Why did I marry you? emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top10-02-2013 10:19:10 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Welp, here's hoping that a government shutdown doesn't put a major crimp in the passport renewal process...

I've got a family vacation in early August, and I'd appreciate an excuse to take some time off earlier in the summer (mid July?) but with this much notice, there's nothing I can't (and wouldn't) ditch.

Aside from that, well... let's see how far I get with this.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#4 | Back to Top10-02-2013 10:24:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Don't worry about it, the Canadian government has also ceased to function, as NHL season just started up. emot-rolleyes

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#5 | Back to Top10-02-2013 11:56:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yasha wrote:

(DD doesn't know if he can come yet, but we expect satyreyes to confirm sometime next week emot-keke).

Next week my butt.  By hook or by crook, in ruin or wealth, through hell or high water, in sickness or health.  If I am alive, I will be in Montreal.  If I am dead, I will be in Montreal anyway, haunting all of you, especially the one who murdered me in order to create an open spot on the guest list.  I will enlist a ghost mime to trap you in an invisible box, and then I will trample you and the box from atop a ghost moose.  I am so serious.

I wonder who to ask about hotels downtown.  As usual, residents of any city are the least likely people to know where visitors should stay.  Ideas?  Knowledges?

#6 | Back to Top10-03-2013 12:18:02 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

This RoseCon sounds amazing (I am sure it will be amazing), but sadly, I won't be able to go. If I get accepted to grad school, a lot of the money I will hopefully have will be going towards that. As it is right now, money is really tight; there is just no way I can afford a passport plus a plane ticket plus hotel costs plus some spending money.

I am sad about this. I really would like to meet everyone, but it's just not in the cards right now (hey, at least my issue isn't poor health this time!) I hope that you all have a kick ass time, and maybe I can meet some of you in the future.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#7 | Back to Top10-03-2013 12:23:14 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Figures that you would announce this right after Mom and I start making plans for a friends-and-family vacation in Japan around the same time next year. :eyeroll: (My PhD-candidate friend may be presenting a paper at an academic conference in Yokohama in July, and we're all so close that we may as well go together. I could also use some research fodder, as I haven't been to Japan since 2010.)

tl;dr I have to punk out on yet another RoseCon.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#8 | Back to Top10-03-2013 02:50:40 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I made a kind of big post, but it got eaten by server errors and stuff. I think on my end, cause google started acting up on me too.

Summary: I had fun at NY way back when, and would love to see you guys and say hi again. I have a friend who lives around-ish that area too, so maybe I could make a trip of it. I'm probably starting nursing school August 23rd (Or a few days earlier or later, depending on what school I get into, which I won't know for some time still). So if you guys give an exact date shortly, I should be able to commit to this. Exact date would actually be needed in kind of mid-soon future though, because family is also planning a trip outlandishly early (what's with my family and you guys.... sigh. If I was taking a trip on my own I'd give it like one week's notice...). Anyways, the date on family trip can be totally moved to suit this event, so long as this gets scheduled first. Once familly trip is scheduled though, that's not really so changeable anymore.

So Yeah. If you guys give a fixed date, and it's in the early part of August, I imagine I'll be in.

#9 | Back to Top10-03-2013 12:17:03 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I am planning on being there, but I will know more about my financesas we get closer to August.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#10 | Back to Top10-03-2013 01:06:30 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

So... what would overall costs probably look like, including air fare, passport renewal, (I looked that up, it's like... $140 for me) hotel, and well, anything else, coming from the west coast US?  My "I have no idea what this shit costs" estimate is $1k.  Would that be high, low, or about right?

Also, would it be a good idea to get a rental car?  I think I'll have a smart phone by then, so I could get directions to things and not be horribly lost.  Would we get a few cars and distribute con-goers amongst them? (in which case I plan on volunteering if I get my other shit together in time to get a spot) Would we rely on public transportation?

I've printed out the passport paperwork, but in deference to not being a jackass, I won't take it in until I've fulfilled my Secret DJ obligations.  Which I hope to be able to work on today, and send out tomorrow.  We'll see.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#11 | Back to Top10-03-2013 01:21:53 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I hereby formally announce my intention to attend. I also formally announce my intention to eat my weight in poutine during the course of the weekend, because it's delicious.

I have a wedding in St Johns NL to go to at some point in August, but I'll worry about that when the RC dates get firmed up. EDIT - it's on Aug 30 so that should be OK.

Last edited by purplepolecat (10-06-2013 12:33:21 PM)

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#12 | Back to Top10-03-2013 01:32:12 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kita, here are a few (very early) ballpark figures.

To pick a large West Coast city, if you booked a flight from Los Angeles to Montreal today for August, you would expect to pay around $460 round-trip unless you can find better fares than I did.

I put in a couple phone calls and website visits to hotels.  The Hotel de Paris can't give me an exact number yet -- it's too early -- but they estimate $114 a night for two adults, or $57 each, which is very reasonable.  Its reviews are decidedly mixed, and it's located a couple blocks out of Ville-Marie.

The website of the Hotel St-Denis, which is closer to the heart of Ville-Marie, suggests a price close to $129 a night for two adults, or $65 each, still very reasonable.  Much better reviews.

And The Hotel ZERO 1, which is really in the heart of things and gets great reviews, is currently booking rooms in August for $139 a night for two adults, or $70 each.  If you book now, you can get the third night at 50% off and the fifth night free.  They do have rooms resembling suites.

If we chose the Hotel ZERO 1 but didn't book in time to get the discounts, that would add up to probably $400 or $500 including taxes per person.  So add that to the plane fare, add money for meals and such... I'm guessing you will want to be able to commit $1500 to this trip, assuming you book early.  But that's just a ballpark.

#13 | Back to Top10-03-2013 01:45:41 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Okay, thanks!

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#14 | Back to Top10-03-2013 03:30:55 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I just officially yelled at family, and it looks like they have no problem doing their thing in July. So, as long as you guys set this up before the start of nursing school (which I'm fairly confident you will, since one of Gio's stated August reasons was that it's a time easy for students and non-students to get off), I'm in. To play it super safe, this means that it would be best (for me at least) if the last day was August 17th, 2014 (or, of course, any point before then). That way I'd be back home for Monday the 18th in case anything was starting up then. I'm fairly confident a week later would still be ok but... I have no way of figuring that out at all until I figure out what schools I'm accepted into,  so this would be my strong preference.

If set date is then or before, I can go ahead and grab a ticket right now, literally. If set date is between the 17th and the 23rd, I can probably grab a ticket but will want think on it a touch first. If set date is after the 23rd, I'm probably a no-show.

So let me know! I'm excited. I'd love to visit Montreal.

As for actual length, I'm all in favor of trying to extend it by a day or two since it's international, but I'm also in favor of people being allowed to not show up for the whole thing, since extra days adds up to extra hotel nights, which isn't free by any means. It'd be nice to get to mess around an extra day or so though, for those of  us making big trips.

Last edited by Valeli (10-03-2013 03:34:37 PM)

#15 | Back to Top10-03-2013 04:39:36 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Unless I somehow win a HEUG lotto jackpot between now and then, I'm almost certain that I won't be able to make it. *sigh*

I'll have to settle for a possible mini-micro-.a.f.u. gathering at Katsucon next year, I guess, since that'll be the closest I'll get to going to a RoseCon at this point. *another sigh*

Last edited by onsenmark (10-03-2013 04:40:44 PM)

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#16 | Back to Top10-03-2013 06:46:50 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Just a note on the dates, we hope to have them finalized by January! It'll help if everyone who wants to go can let us know what they'll be facing in terms of August schedules.

Also, what about having a skype component on one night for those who can't attend? I've never used skype, but Gio and I have been tossing that idea around ever since we realized that RC Seattle was too large to run quite smoothly. At one point we were even wondering whether anyone who couldn't come wanted to host mini-RoseCons for people in their area, just small one-night get-togethers with skype so we could watch SKU together. Thoughts?

And for those of you who haven't heard about previous RoseCons, I'll find the old threads and toss the links into that first post. Edit: Done!

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#17 | Back to Top10-03-2013 07:56:04 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I would really love to meet everyone again next August!

But, I imagine next year might be a bit crazy for me. As I'm still waiting on replies from schools, there's a good chance I will be busy doing moving in August depending on where I end up going next year, but hopefully I can still make it. I think my best date of availability would be the first weekend of August 2014. But, I aim to confirm my availability by January 2014.

I'd totally be down for Skype night if it turns out I cannot attend.

Still, I would really love to check out Montreal, tho. Because I have not tried poutine yet.

Last edited by Hiraku (10-03-2013 07:59:32 PM)

#18 | Back to Top10-03-2013 08:02:40 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Still, I would really love to check out Montreal, tho. Because I have not tried poutine yet.

Don't forget Montreal-style bagels emot-keke

#19 | Back to Top10-03-2013 09:23:00 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Debating on this or helping my brother out with travel around the same time and... not definite either way, but I'll probably veer towards fam. Sorry, y'all.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#20 | Back to Top10-03-2013 10:27:55 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Debating on this or helping my brother out with travel around the same time and... not definite either way, but I'll probably veer towards fam. Sorry, y'all.

Family is important! There will be other opportunities.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, I may very well have to visit the brick-and-mortar of Pretty Indulgent. Provided it's not too much out of our way, that is. emot-keke

#21 | Back to Top10-04-2013 01:28:25 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Valeli wrote:

(which I'm fairly confident you will, since one of Gio's stated August reasons was that it's a time easy for students and non-students to get off)

That puts at 1-3 and 8-10, assuming a Friday-Sunday. Which makes sense, since a lot of people have school starting up by the last weekend.

Folks with things going on in August proper, would 1-3rd be early enough in the month to nudge RC in for ya? I'm guessing RC will end up one of these date ranges.

Kita, satyr answered most of your questions pretty well. (I'd mention the flights probably cost more than that quote--was it pulled for the next few months, satyr? Flights are probably going to cost more in travel season.) I'll say about the car though that our goal at RC is to be centrally located such that a car is completely unnecessary. So don't worry about that. emot-smile

Edit: SWEET MOTHER OF GOD I WANT THE PANORAMA SUITE. I bet you'd totally feel like Aki-a boss looking down on his doma-Montreal.

....It's not even that expensive.* I...

I want it. I'm going to have it. Unless something very convincing comes up, Yasha and I are booking that room. It'll be the party room. Of Forbidden Pleasures. Part One: Touga's Lesson.

*Just booked a hotel in NYC so nothing below 200 a night is expensive to her.

#22 | Back to Top10-04-2013 04:31:29 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Yasha wrote:

Also, what about having a skype component on one night for those who can't attend? I've never used skype, but Gio and I have been tossing that idea around ever since we realized that RC Seattle was too large to run quite smoothly. At one point we were even wondering whether anyone who couldn't come wanted to host mini-RoseCons for people in their area, just small one-night get-togethers with skype so we could watch SKU together. Thoughts?

I think have a Skype component is a great idea, Yasha. It means I actually might be able to hang out with everyone a little bit!

(Note: If I get accepted to grad school, I might not be able to attend a skype thing, because my residency for the program is from August 1-10, and I imagine I'll be super busy. There's always a chance, though!)

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#23 | Back to Top10-04-2013 10:51:05 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Whenever works for me.

Have a passport, have money, have vacation.

I prefer trying to split the cost of a room with someone.  Seems like it might be harder to do that if I have to book one to confirm my attendance?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#24 | Back to Top10-04-2013 11:38:54 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I prefer trying to split the cost of a room with someone.  Seems like it might be harder to do that if I have to book one to confirm my attendance?

Nope, that's going to get banged out as we get closer to the due date. There will definitely been room splitting. That's a tradition. emot-keke We split the big room last year like 500 ways.

#25 | Back to Top10-04-2013 12:04:47 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Yeah, I liked that. 

Though, if I get a new job, maybe I'll be all swanky and alone like satyr.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

Board footer