This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-02-2012 03:59:32 AM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

Re: Things you would change if you directed SKU

godsofthecopybookheadings wrote:

Seriously, is that shade of "green" flattering for any skin color? And those poor boys look like walking tubes of toothpaste emot-gonk

I like the theory that Akio designed the boys' uniforms to be as unattractive as possible so he could have his pick of the female students and leave some for his chosen pawn Touga. Nothing sets a girl's heart to racing like a guy wearing head-to-toe seafoam green.

From a more sober standpoint, I think the clothing in SKU says a lot about the nature of the setting and about Japanese culture in general. The uniforms are hideous, and in the case of the girls, sexualized to a clownish degree, but the students accept the dress code without question. The uniforms speak to the disempowerment of women and, to a lesser degree, men by entrenched social institutions. After all, how can you take someone seriously when she's wearing a micro-miniskirt and poofy sleeves bigger than her head?  The student council uniforms also play into this - isn't it kind of ridiculous for schoolkids to dress like 18th-century French military officers? But the only person who questions the obvious absurdity of Ohtori's dress code  is Utena, in keeping with her title of "revolutionary girl."

#27 | Back to Top07-03-2012 01:02:23 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Necro-ing.
If I had directed Utena, I would have downplayed or gotten rid of the fairy-tale motif. It was too postmodern for me, and I thought that the Gnostic/Buddhist philosophy and apocalyptic imagery could have been strong enough to work on their own.
Of course, that's about 1/4 of the series gone...sorry!

#28 | Back to Top07-03-2012 01:24:07 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

If I was the director, I would've given Saito a clearer idea of what SKU was actually about from the offset, so that then she could've made a better manga. (Having said that, I personally enjoyed the movie-manga a lot; it's just the first manga that was lacklustre to me.)

I would also have given Shiori and the other Black Rose duellists more facetime, explored Touga's motives for duelling a little more, and had Saionji and Nanami interact with each other more often.

#29 | Back to Top07-03-2012 01:43:27 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

I will show, in explicit details, the damaging effects of the restrictive male gender role on men, to parallel the original SKU's exploration into the damaging effects of female gender role.

Dios was merely threatened by the Million in the series after falling ill and not able to continue meeting their expectations of unfailingly invincible manhood; being that in real life, males who displayed any sort of weakness/softeness are immediately attacked by other men, I will show Dios as the one skewered by the swords first, before Anthy, out of love for him, shared his punishment (ala penguindrum theme).  I will also have Mrs. Ohtori and/or Kanae taking Akio out for dinner and such, then paying for him afterwards, with the waiters and patrons gossiping about him afterwards (a man paid for by women? what a limp noodle!).   

Touga's rape by Mr. Kiryuu will be blatant and shall continue throughout the series (with the powerful billionaire explicitly shown threatening Nanami and even Saionji to make him submit), and I will show Akio debasing the redhead by putting him in the society-condemned "Bottom/Bitch" position, then blackmailing the boy with photos from their sessions to make the latter do his bidding; Touga still would uphold his assured, powerful mask in front of others, but the cracks will come through now and then - his reason for wanting Revolution will be stated as his desperate  attempt to stop the rapes and re-control his (and Nanami's) life. 

Saionji will be publicly scorned by all for doing something so unmanly as hiding in a girl's room (a male relying on a younger female, shame!)  throughout Black Rose Arc, and be driven into mania/further dueling as a result. 

Instead of idolized by girls, Miki shall be labeled a sissy; constantly bullied by even regular students for his soft, androgynous looks and mannerism, he shall long for his pre school/society days in the Sunlit Garden. 

Tatsuya will be under peer pressure to score sexually with Wakaba, and his failure/reluctance to do so will get him bullied and thus driven toward the Black Rose Seminar.

Tsuwabuki . . . well, I may drive him into black rose despair by making him lose a "size-contest" in the boy's room against an older lad, or something school-devil

Oh, and the show shall be renamed Adolescent Kakumei instead of Shoujo Kakumei, so as to better fit a show about the struggles of both boys and girls under the coffin-like gender roles society had forced upon them.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#30 | Back to Top07-09-2012 06:06:20 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I would reset SKU in an anachronistic renaissance France and given just about all the characters French names.  Also Anthy would serve as the sheaf for both champion's and challenger's sword and depending on the person and their mental state, the type of sword they pull out of Anthy will vary.

The title of this series would be renamed Renaissance Fille Calice.

#31 | Back to Top07-11-2012 11:49:00 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I don't know if I would want to change too much of the story, but the characters would have actual pupils.

If I even had a say in that. Seriously though, those eyes scare me.

#32 | Back to Top11-25-2012 03:10:54 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

[boring crap that shouldn't have been posted]

Last edited by Atropos (11-30-2012 03:36:16 PM)

#33 | Back to Top11-25-2012 04:52:26 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

gorgeousshutin wrote:

'restrictive male gender role' idea

I had never really deeply considered that aspect of the male role, but now that you've brought it to light, I actually really want to see it being done.

Oh treachery!

#34 | Back to Top11-26-2012 12:40:09 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

The_Lame_Goat wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

'restrictive male gender role' idea

I had never really deeply considered that aspect of the male role, but now that you've brought it to light, I actually really want to see it being done.

You know, I kind of feel like it already is?

You don't have to whack any of the cast over the head with the It Sucks to Be Male Stick to portray the harm it does them.  The male cast members get plenty of angst dumped on them, and if they were able to see outside of the hetero-normative male gender roles that they enact, (as, perhaps, they do in the ending, to differing degrees) they wouldn't suffer so much.  The enforcement of said roles isn't obvious, but then it isn't in real life, either, most of the time.  Growing up in a liberal community, I've found that it's all too easy to start thinking that pathologic gender roles are just a thing of the past, a now-dispelled fairy tale, because the ways that they're enforced are usually really subtle.  Well, aside from all the homophobic graffiti.

What would I change?

Not much.

Extend the ending a bit, so we can actually see how the characters have grown, rather than having to guess based off like, one shot.  Also so we get to see what Akio does after Anthy's gone.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Board footer