This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-01-2007 01:09:47 PM

Black Mantha
Mikage Mistruster

My Anime Music Video

My first AMV. You will need a animemusicvideos.org login to download it, though. Registration is free, but it has a delay before you can use it.

You'll also need something to play .ogm's. I think this is partially why I haven't had many downloads.

Well, here it is. My first full AMV to see the light of day (although it's the second one I started with). I don't think I did a bad job on it, so I'm anxious to get some comments on it.

The dance scene from Adolescence is among the most used clips in AMV's, if not THE most used. It's a beautiful scene, and the music that goes with it is good too. However, the problem with showing the original to someone is that the music continues into the next scene. So I decided to take the original scene, and put it over the version of the music found on the OST. Problem is, that one is much longer. So I decided to fill in the gaps myself.

I knew I wanted to show a developing relationship between Anthy and Utena, and it didn't have to be exactly like it was in the movie. The story that I've got now goes something like this: First a few shots of Utena around campus, seeming to look for something, then she sees Anthy, and is immediately smitten. The two get closer, but Anthy's erratic behaviour eventually drives her off. Anthy tries to fix it by coming on to her strongly, but it only angers Utena, eventually leading to a fight at the rose garden. How exactly they go from there isn't in the video.

I wanted to match the words as they were sung to the exact scene that belonged to it, so it couldn't be done chronologically. I hope the 90% overlay conveyed the concept that I was "pausing" the dance scene to show what was before. Including the intro was something I did after I completed the rest, and realised that there was no way for someone who hadn't seen the movie to know where they were dancing. The whole scene is around a minute and a half, but I cut it down to a third of that.

The file includes subtitles in Japanese and English, and a karaoke version.

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
- Winston Churchill

Board footer