This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-05-2014 10:39:04 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Let discuss Prog Rock(and it's sub genre)

Proggressive Rock is Rock with unconventional Time Signatures, 10 minute songs and the pretense of bringing classical music sensibilities to the age of 4/4 time signatures, the four chords and Radio friendly music and the person we have to thank is this nerd:
http://www.fripp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/W-Robert-Fripp_032.jpg
Robert Fripp, Founder of King Crimson and Collaborate with Several artist including Brian Eno and David bowie.
Yes theirs influential people like Frank Zappa, The Beatles when made they made Sergeant Pepper's Lonely band, Genesis and psychedelic rock bands like Pink Floyd  but Robert Fripp and King Crimson are the people responsible for Progressive rock as we know it weird time signatures and all.

Prog Rock ranges from many genres from well known genre like Psychedelic/SpaceRock, Symphonic rock, Jazz Fusion to really obscure ones like Krautrock, RIO(Rock in Operation and Zeuhl plus the Progressive Metal movement.

I'll recommend anyone interest in the genre to go to Progarchives.com, the site will list Bands, Albums, Videos and music videos of anything Progressive Rock related, not only that, you can post a review on the page of the album and there's a forum too for discussions.

If there's anything in the OP I need to change, please mention it in post but please keep it to constructive criticism and have fun discussing in this thread.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/4ae02b3e7b71aa7b38863f25aa3225b1/tumblr_mq99poTCbz1qzt4vjo1_500.gif
http://37.media.tumblr.com/88eae6ae1b34d02a6d4d31729a0a9369/tumblr_mrbhx354ZF1qzt4vjo1_500.gif
http://38.media.tumblr.com/5fc61b7950164118f12a1fde2aeb2f4e/tumblr_mmt8cc2nOL1qzt4vjo1_500.gif
http://37.media.tumblr.com/43e6a6b1b4bc5967e8f2b23c61882d38/tumblr_mhtrteWvtV1qzt4vjo1_500.gif
http://37.media.tumblr.com/1bb682db1b80c971b04cca8f4212fb5f/tumblr_n1tbciUp7V1qzt4vjo1_500.gif

Some trippy gifs by Davidope to look at while listening to some of the more psychedellic songs in the genre, excuse the size, they are the uncompressed versions.

#2 | Back to Top07-05-2014 05:07:33 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: Let discuss Prog Rock(and it's sub genre)

I saw Queensr˙che and Dream Theater play together once. It was awesome. etc-wankgirl

edit: umlaut

Last edited by Nova (07-05-2014 05:08:47 PM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#3 | Back to Top07-05-2014 05:31:36 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Nova wrote:

I saw Queensr˙che and Dream Theater play together once. It was awesome. etc-wankgirl

Fuckin A. That must've been alright.

I'm all for prog-rock and its sister branches on the rock tree, funk, stoner rock, and jazz-oriented rock (as opposed to "contemporary jazz" which tends to be stuff where even Kenny G's like "can we liven this up a little?").

There's something hilarious, listening to some live performances by people who love to just run with a riff, like Prince or Warren Zevon, in that you can hear the audience explode once they "normal" it down and play in the recognizable key, the radio-familiar tempo and arrangement. Learning to Flinch has a brilliant eleven minute long version of Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, and until it's played precisely like the well-known recording, there's just silence or rumbling. Hit the right notes and bam! people're happy.

Whereas something like Dream Theater or even Monster Magnet, I guess the audience knows going in, what they're in for, so there's just cheers and enthusiasm and an acceptance that orchestration is going to be different, arrangements are going to vary, to shift or expand, to condense in new ways, because a song isn't just its most radio-friendly arrangement or because maybe you don't have those instruments (or the ability to live re-dub) on hand.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top07-16-2014 08:46:23 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Speaking of Zeuhl, Anyone that's familiar with the genre's history in japan, how did J.A. Seazer influence the Japanese Zeuhl movements in any way? because his music is remarkably similar to the music from the genre.
If you don't know Zeuhl is, go listen to some Magma or Koenjihyakkei.

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (07-16-2014 08:46:59 AM)

#5 | Back to Top07-18-2014 05:21:33 AM

Chained Prometheus
New Student

I do love me some Prog Rock/Metal! emot-dance Been a fan of Fates Warning and Queensryche for awhile now and I've been dabbling about more and more into the classic prog rock bands such as King Crimson, Yes and Genesis. In fact, I'm actually listening to "Supper's Ready" (the live version off of Seconds Out) right now!

I, Titan.

#6 | Back to Top07-18-2014 05:38:36 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I have to admit, I like noise bands or sort of felix culpa music more than the very heavily structured prog rock, even though I like that, too. I think it's just a thirst for novelty/surprise. The exceptionally structured stuff can lull you in, set your internal rhythms and all, but it rarely jars me, and I kinda want music to jar me.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top09-10-2014 11:58:22 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

King crimson: 21st century schizoid man - live at the Egg, Albany

Note the drum solo, holy shit having a trio of drummers was worth it http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Ricochet75/headbanger.gif

#8 | Back to Top09-11-2014 01:59:22 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I'm not at all familiar with Zeuhl, but having recently really gotten into the band, I sometimes hear a lot of similarities, unintentional I'm sure, between J.A. Seazer's style and some of Therion's works (i.e. Melek Taus

That said, I'm a fan of prog-rock and its derivatives.  A number of my music professors would share or mention prog-rock because it shares similar innovative value as classical music and jazz.  I remember one of my guitar teaches mentioning how monumental Yes' Close to the Edge was and the buzz it made in its day.  Even today, it's a phenomenal work.  King Crimson and Yes tend to get the most attention, and rightfully so, but I do have a particular fondness for Procol Harum's A Whiter Shade of Pale and Strawb's Autumn.  Barclay James Harvest is another favorite that doesn't nearly get enough love.

Board footer