This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-17-2006 09:41:15 AM

Cerulean_Rose
New Student

Juri's Story

Hi there emot-keke I have a question about the last episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

When the Student Council is seen clustered together, Juri mentions that in her childhood there was a boy who had attempted to save her drowning older sister. The boy died in her recollection, and I was wondering if she was referring to the boy to be Akio? I hope it doesn't sound like a silly question, but it's been bothering me every now and then. If it's not Akio, then who is the boy, and how does this relate to the current events of the anime?

Last edited by Cerulean_Rose (11-17-2006 09:42:18 AM)

#2 | Back to Top11-17-2006 10:04:24 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Re: Juri's Story

Well, I can in no way associate the word "boy" with Akio. And in the series nothing would imply him either that noble, that young or that dead. As far as I can tell, the boy in the story has no name or any other place in the story. Mentioning him just gives power and meaning to that scene.

In the movie, however, that boy was Touga. This, most definately wasn't the case in the series, as the series Touga is very much alive.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#3 | Back to Top11-17-2006 10:17:54 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Lightice wrote:

In the movie, however, that boy was Touga. This, most definately wasn't the case in the series, as the series Touga is very much alive.

Unless he's actually a vampire.

I think that particular scene was symbolic, it foreshadowed what was going to happen to Utena. Just like that boy, she also did everything she could to save Anthy, you could say she sacrificed herself for Anthy. The fact that neither Juri or her sister remembered his name also refers to Utena being forgotten in the end.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#4 | Back to Top11-17-2006 10:33:35 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I think it's supposed to signify the passing of time and memory. No matter how great the deed or how noble the cause ultimately it'll be swallowed up in everyone's poor memories. A boy died to save her sister and the thought that someone would forget such a thing is horrible, but in the end it happens to everyone.

Happened to Utena (in everyone's eyes but Anthy and Chu Chu) as well.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#5 | Back to Top11-17-2006 11:41:21 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

The story Juri tells of the boy that saved her sister is meant as foreshadowing.  Remember as Juri tells the story, the final dual is going on and all of the counsel knows something big is going to come out of it becuase, in a way, they were all "saved" by Utena.  Juri expressed how angry she was that her sister quickly forgot all about the boy that saved her and that she'd promised herself she'd never forget like her sister.  Yet, for all she tried, now that time has passed and it's not relevent anymore, she couldn't remember his name.  I believe this was her way of warning everyone on the counsel that they will eventually forget Utena once she's gone, no matter how hard they try not to, and because of this, they should honor her sacrifice right then, for as long as they could.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#6 | Back to Top11-17-2006 01:21:20 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I think it's a combination of foreshadowing and symbolism. It does hint at forgetting Utena, but it makes an important point - we forget things, no matter how important they were to us at the time.

It also shows us a different, more compassionate side of Juri, much like when we see her visiting the injured fencer in the hospital at the end of episode 29. Most of her appearances show her as polished, poised and unfeeling but these scenes make her a little more "human" to the viewer.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#7 | Back to Top11-17-2006 01:34:51 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

It's also a portrayal of how Dios would have ended up without Anthy's intervention.

Whether or not Akio is better off at the end of the series is fun to ponder.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#8 | Back to Top11-17-2006 01:46:12 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ragnarok wrote:

It's also a portrayal of how Dios would have ended up without Anthy's intervention.

Dude. Didn't even think of that. I tip my hat to you.

#9 | Back to Top11-17-2006 07:49:42 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

Dude. Didn't even think of that. I tip my hat to you.

If it wasn't for Anthy, the whole SKU story would never have occurred; the other characters would have led less interesting lives (at least from our point of view) and most importantly anime as a genre would be greatly diminished. Not to mention giving us all a reason to get together in a forum such as this.

The only downside I can see from the existance of SKU is the veritable genocide of kittens that has occurred from SKU fans masturbating to characters like Nanami, Utena, Akio, Anthy, Juri, Touga, Miki and even the Shadow Girls. (I know you out there emot-keke)

#10 | Back to Top11-17-2006 08:28:34 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Cerulean_Rose wrote:

Hi there emot-keke I have a question about the last episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

When the Student Council is seen clustered together, Juri mentions that in her childhood there was a boy who had attempted to save her drowning older sister. The boy died in her recollection, and I was wondering if she was referring to the boy to be Akio? I hope it doesn't sound like a silly question, but it's been bothering me every now and then. If it's not Akio, then who is the boy, and how does this relate to the current events of the anime?

It's also a big nod to the movie plot which, as we know, is Ikuhara on crack. school-freud

#11 | Back to Top11-18-2006 01:24:17 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I think the movie plot is the series through the warped lens of what the fans think the series was and what they wanted. I mean, take a look: Touga was noble, and dead. Akio falls out the window and dies. There's nudity. Anthy and Utena kiss, and it's all but clearly stated that they end up together. Shiori is Ends of the World. Juri is the Prince of the school.

#12 | Back to Top11-18-2006 09:55:17 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

And when asked at an anime convention panel about why Utena turned into a car in the movie, Ikuhara responded "I thought it'd be cool."

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#13 | Back to Top11-18-2006 11:51:51 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ikuhara's nuts. I adore him. I mean, really. The Utenamobile? Sure, it's symbolic. But it's also just nuts.

#14 | Back to Top11-21-2006 09:48:06 AM

Cerulean_Rose
New Student

Wow, I didn't realize I'd get so many responses emot-aaa Thanks to everyone for clearing that up for me, that scene makes more sense now.

*looks at few posts above, then comes up with a random, crack-tastic fanfic idea*

Utena (dressed like Batman) : Quick, Anthy! To the UtenaMobile!!!1one

XD

Ha ha, forgive me, that needed to get out of my system emot-tongue

Last edited by Cerulean_Rose (11-21-2006 09:48:34 AM)

#15 | Back to Top09-12-2014 07:24:25 AM

SeizonSenryaku
Architectonitechnician

Hi, I too had wondered about that...until came Mawaru Penguindrum, and so, I came across che movie "Night On The Galactic Railroad", curios to watch it for the reference in the anime. Well, I think that watching this movie or having watched it, can be of help to explain most visual simbolism in MPD....and, being this movie prior to SKU, I am pretty sure that the drowned boy story also came from it.  But you gotta watch it, 'cause explaining here the reference, would be  a big spoiler of the final.

So, if you wanna watch it for yourself....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHl_21LipQ&list=PLdVIojwpcIJbWwB17r5F_fKUxfABBcaH3

Also, can I ask if whoever whatched this movie could reply and tell me if they agree? Without telling the final, of course.

(oh, I remember now that actually there's a spoiler button to write it down, but sorry, if you wanna use it you're welcome, I am too lazy and I'm busy right now...emot-biggrin)

Last edited by SeizonSenryaku (09-12-2014 07:28:37 AM)

Board footer