This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:29:51 AM

Z-Ko
Saionji Slapper

Re: Rewatching Utena (I WANT YOU TO PLAY TOO)

It's so PAINFUL for me to rewatch Utena because the only episodes I've never seen are the Seikitokai (?) Arc Miki and Juri duel eps. I have seen the one with Nanami and Mitsuru, with the Kangaroo, but it was the Subbed VHS version so I don't remember it well.

When I first watched all of Utena, like, 5 episodes in I got the movie, and since I was fairly young at the time the entire series was one giant WTF moment for me.

But lately I've been rewatching episodes and a lot of stuff makes more sense. I like the later episodes because the dubbing and animation in the first arc plain sucks to me. The Black Rose arc had to be my fave.

Plus I think there's something wrong with me, because at 4 Am this morning I popped the Utena movie in for no reason. Ah, Slutty Anthy, Dead Touga, and Human Akio...I miss you guys.

#52 | Back to Top04-18-2007 08:15:55 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Today I finally got to Episode 7: Unfulfilled Juri after a couple days off from watching...

What a great episode... marking the real start of the more symbolic nature of the series.  This episode has lots of imagery in it, and the start of the subplot of Juri and Shiori's tortured relationship.  This is the kind of episode that made me the SKU fan that I am now.  Symbolic imagery... etc-love

Up next... Curried High Trip! emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#53 | Back to Top04-18-2007 08:26:35 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I rewatched episode 7 today as well, and I've been rewatching bits of it over again all day. Mostly just her duel and the scene by the fountain. I'm starting to love the symbolism in that episode. I'll have a complete analysis of her duel song soon. I already interpreted all of the words, which was a bitch and a half to do, because of all the religious references. Now I just have to interpret how that relates to what they're doing in the duel. (Juri vs. Shiori in a fight to the death! Who will win? Buy your tickets now!)

Do you know what's kind of sad? I'm always saying that it's stupid to call Shiori the devil, but there are a lot of similarities between her and Lucifer, to the point where I almost wonder if it's a major symbol. o_o

Episode seven is probably the turning point of the series. It's all uphill from there. (Edit: Wait, is uphill the correct phrase to use...? Damn, I need sleep.)

Last edited by Razara (04-18-2007 08:31:33 PM)

#54 | Back to Top04-19-2007 05:22:08 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Episode 8 - Curried High Trip

SURFING ELEPHANTS!

...that is all. emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#55 | Back to Top04-24-2007 11:51:23 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

As it happens, I've been rewatching SKU with a friend who hasn't seen it before.  She's crazy hooked, as you all might expect.  It's been aw hile since the last time I watched, so I definitely find myself responding to characters differently.  Saionji, for example, keeps growing on me.  More and more, I see his desperate need for real friendship from Touga, and I recognize his competition with Touga as a desire for recognition.  He just wants Touga to take him seriously!  So I can actually sympathize with him.

On the other hand, I find myself liking Kozue less.  As the show progresses, it gets harder and harder to interpret her actions as idolizing/seeking attention from Miki, and she just seems more bitchy.  Especially putting the moves on Anthy in that last duel, then calling HIM a coward for losing.  The great unanswered question about Kozue for me is, how good is she really as a pianist?  And if she's as good as Miki thinks, why does she think she's terrible?

Lastly, while watching the show through this time, I noticed a theme that I hadn't caught earlier.  It seems like all of the characters get in trouble or start acting stupidly when they begin to desire the permanent and disregard the transitory.  Starting with Utena herself.  It's her desire for eternity, for her undying Prince, that makes her vulnerable to Akio's manipulations.  You could extend this line of reasoning into questioning whether or not Dios ever actually existed, or if it was Akio all along.  It is certainly true that some things are dangerous even to want...

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#56 | Back to Top04-26-2007 10:16:25 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Tonight's installment: Episode 12 - For Friendship, Perhaps

If Juri's duel was the appetizer, here begins the main course.  The series has definitely kicked into high gear now with this episode.  Wakaba plays a significant role here, and ends up being the catalyst that Utena needed to take back her identity.  I had forgotten about the raw emotion that Wakaba shows in this episode... it shows just how much she cares about Utena.  Ironically, it's seeing Utena not in her element that helps to define who she is.  It's amazing to see how much Utena has already changed since being engaged to Anthy.  And the duel with Touga...

This, like the Juri episode, is the kind of material that makes SKU such an amazing series.  The Black Rose arc is almost here (along with Mikage and his poptart ), but before that is the recap episode that is actually quite useful: the meaning of each duel so far.

It's all coming back to me why this is my favorite series! emot-keke

#57 | Back to Top04-30-2007 06:38:51 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I actually had to watch episode 13 twice before I realized who Akio was talking to.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#58 | Back to Top04-30-2007 07:05:18 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I love the end of episode 13 after the duels have been reviewed... it's just so ominous.  I got goosebumps just seeing the framed butterfly.

If all goes according to plan I'll be starting the Black Rose saga tomorrow! poptartpoptartpoptart

#59 | Back to Top04-30-2007 09:13:28 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I love the end of episode 13 after the duels have been reviewed... it's just so ominous.  I got goosebumps just seeing the framed butterfly.

What freaks me out is the shot of the 100 duellists...every time. cool

-Truck North

#60 | Back to Top04-30-2007 09:15:22 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

Hell yeah. One of the best shots in the entire series, I think. school-freud

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#61 | Back to Top04-30-2007 09:50:43 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Yasha wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

Hell yeah. One of the best shots in the entire series, I think. school-freud

I love how that scene is alluded to in the movie when Shiori is giving her little verse about the Scandalous Tape to the crowd as Movie Akio is being dug up.

#62 | Back to Top04-30-2007 10:10:18 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-gonk
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/vlcsnap-478222.jpg
emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#63 | Back to Top05-01-2007 06:09:54 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Ah, thank you Gio.  poptart
I find myself wondering sometimes who these duellists were exactly.  It's an aspect of the show that's never explored.  There's the suggestion that they were arrogant and self-centered, but that may just be how Mikage remembered them.  And it seems they were all boys?  I'm sure I could find some good fanfics about them.  Speaking of which, could anybody recommend a good fanfic site?  Maybe I'd better ask in another thread.

-Truck North

#64 | Back to Top05-01-2007 06:26:48 AM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Hey, if you look at the boy in the middle of the shot, doesn't he look like the random boy you see at the start of episodes? You know the one I mean. I can't find a picture of him, but when they pan over the students walking, theres a boy with dark, chin length hair and he looks like that guy.

#65 | Back to Top05-01-2007 06:42:07 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Pandora wrote:

Hey, if you look at the boy in the middle of the shot, doesn't he look like the random boy you see at the start of episodes? You know the one I mean. I can't find a picture of him, but when they pan over the students walking, theres a boy with dark, chin length hair and he looks like that guy.

That's because the throw away characters all have boring hair.  I'm sure you could find other repeats in there if you look around a bit.

-Truck North

#66 | Back to Top05-02-2007 05:22:34 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Today's installment...

Episode 15: The World As Seen From Kozue

One of my favorite duel songs here... the slightly silly Utopian Past Tense Incantation.  "10, 2, 1, 0.. take off!" emot-biggrin

And of course, the first real showing of Kozue and Miki's relationship.  Also, we're seeing for the second time hints of Anthy's Saturday night 'meetings' with Akio.

Next up... Nanami's Cowbell! poptart

#67 | Back to Top05-02-2007 09:24:37 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Today's installment...

Episode 15: The World As Seen From Kozue

One of my favorite duel songs here... the slightly silly Utopian Past Tense Incantation.  "10, 2, 1, 0.. take off!" emot-biggrin

And of course, the first real showing of Kozue and Miki's relationship.  Also, we're seeing for the second time hints of Anthy's Saturday night 'meetings' with Akio.

Next up... Nanami's Cowbell! poptart

Remember that Kozue also means tree-top, so the episode could also be rendered as The View From the Tree-tops.  When a friend first pointed that out to me, it totally blew my mind.  cool

-Truck North

#68 | Back to Top05-05-2007 07:12:23 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Episode 16: Cowbell of Happiness

MOOOOre fun with NanaMOOOO. emot-keke  Here we see just how far Nanami is willing to go to be popular.

Dona Dona!

Nanami calls Utena a 'boy-girl'. emot-aaa

Next up is an episode that I'm sure ranked among my favorites -- it's been so long since I've watched SKU that I can't remember all of the ones that floored me. emot-redface  Shiori transfers to Ohtori.  Let the torturous relationship of Juri x Shiori begin!

#69 | Back to Top05-05-2007 07:51:53 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

In another translation, she flat out calls her a dyke. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#70 | Back to Top05-05-2007 08:25:50 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Yasha wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

In another translation, she flat out calls her a dyke. emot-keke

That's what the fansub I watched said too, Yasha. It seems more in-character for Nanami to use that particular term than calling her a boy-girl, tomboy, or even butch.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#71 | Back to Top05-05-2007 08:29:54 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I'd be curious as to what an authentic translation of the original Japanese would be, by someone fluent in the language and not inclined to 'color' the script for a fansub audience. (ie, give them what they want to hear as opposed to what was actually said. emot-wink )

Fansubs are all well and good, but it's not the authority I'd go to for translation matters. emot-biggrin

I don't remember the word Nanami used... I want to think it was something along the lines of otokojou-sama, but I could be completely wrong.  I can see how that might be translated as 'boy-girl', as CPM did, if that was even the word. emot-confused

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (05-05-2007 08:37:55 PM)

#72 | Back to Top05-05-2007 09:00:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Fansubs are all well and good, but it's not the authority I'd go to for translation matters. emot-biggrin

Normally I would agree, but in this case I'd take the leap and go with the translation from the original translation project. (Then again, I also ignored their version of the script for naming certain parts of my site, so I guess it's all in how you feel that week. emot-wink )

Utena:  It's weird.
Utena:  It's just weird, that cowbell.
Utena:  I don't know about that brand name stuff, but cowbells are supposed to go around a cow's ne-
Nanami:  This is why the dyke is so annoying. She doesn't know what fashion is all about.
Utena:  What did you say?! Who're you calling a dyke?!

Given the teeth they pulled for accuracy elsewhere in the scripts, I don't think they'd have added a term like that for dramatic flair. I think if the term had been as tame as 'boy-girl', Utena wouldn't have had as much room to take offense.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#73 | Back to Top05-05-2007 09:20:56 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

*Razara's flawed knowledge of Japanese*

Well, what Nanami is calling Utena is an, "Otoko-Onna," which is directly translated as "Boy-girl." However, it could be that "Boy-girl" is the term for "dyke" in Japanese.

#74 | Back to Top05-05-2007 09:58:10 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Oh the joys of translating colloquialisms. emot-keke

Yeah Gio, I checked the scripts you have on the site to see what they did for the translation, too.

With slang, all bets are off! emot-biggrin

#75 | Back to Top05-07-2007 09:37:14 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Tonight's installment...

Episode 18 - Mitsuru's Growing Pains

Random amusing moment of the day:

Mitsuru is holding a banana...
Mitsuru: I'd be satisfied if she ate anything of mine.
Mari: That's disgusting!
Mitsuru: How's that disgusting?
Mari: You'll know when you're grown up!

Oh Mari... you somehow seem like a pint-sized Shiori... school-devil

And then at the end, Nanami actually blushes when she sees Mitsuru the day after the duel. emot-aaa

Board footer