This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-19-2018 07:50:40 PM

Nosma
New Student

Question about certain images

Are these images official?
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/mawaru-peng … ingo-photo
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/mawaru-peng … ingo-photo

They look official to me, but something tells me they are not, or maybe it is the fact I don't want to accept it.

Last edited by Nosma (05-19-2018 11:06:09 PM)

#2 | Back to Top05-26-2018 12:59:12 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Question about certain images

I'm honestly not sure, but it wouldn't at all surprise me.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top06-25-2018 12:08:21 PM

Nosma
New Student

Giovanna wrote:

I'm honestly not sure, but it wouldn't at all surprise me.

Knowing Ikuhara, it is not that wild to imagine, but why is that? There's not much provocative imagery in Penguindrum, if any at all, at least to me.

Further research proved that they are images from magazine articles, the titles of which are not listed on Penguindrum Wiki. Does that mean they are official? Or does it depend on the magazine?

Last edited by Nosma (06-25-2018 12:15:28 PM)

#4 | Back to Top06-26-2018 11:22:05 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

That sounds like they were official.

I can understand why, much later, YKA had some overly explicit magazine pinups, as it was relevant to the themes of the work, but I'm not sure why they did this for Penguindrum.

im a shadow play girl irl

#5 | Back to Top06-27-2018 10:52:54 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Yeah they're definitely official. I remember seeing them when the show was airing.

Magazine art is usually official, but not necessarily canon if that makes any sense. This is about Free, but it also explains how magazines order their art for anime shows: https://ultimatemegax.tumblr.com/post/1 … ustrations

Last edited by HonorableShadow (06-27-2018 10:56:10 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#6 | Back to Top06-28-2018 09:12:48 AM

Nosma
New Student

Well, I checked the website, and they are not there. Also, look at this http://penguindrum.wikia.com/wiki/Mawar … d62273.jpg . The cover looks like it is from a different show entirely. I looked at some other covers of this specific magazine, and look at this http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Yu … Mechan.jpg . It looks like it's done by the same person, yet they are magazine covers.

Ikuhara is a pretty weird person, but approving such imagery is not a matter of weirdness. They might be official, but judging by what he's said about the series, that numerous problems arose, I am almost certain at the moment that they are not canon.

#7 | Back to Top07-10-2018 03:28:59 PM

eyriesii
New Student

They're official. Both are in the Mawaru Penguindrum Perfect Guide Book. According to the book they were drawn by Yuu Shindou and colored/finished by Kunio Tsujita, who both worked on the anime. The magazines they appeared in were Nyantype and Megami Magazine. I hope this helps!

Last edited by eyriesii (07-13-2018 10:59:31 AM)

But being normal has nothing to do with us!

#8 | Back to Top07-16-2018 07:06:07 PM

Nosma
New Student

Uh, thanks. So, is all officially imagery approved by the director? Penguindrum means a lot to me, and it definitely changes my viewpoint, if that is the case. Not for the better, but not necessarily for the worse, either.

#9 | Back to Top07-20-2018 07:31:52 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Nosma wrote:

Uh, thanks. So, is all officially imagery approved by the director? Penguindrum means a lot to me, and it definitely changes my viewpoint, if that is the case. Not for the better, but not necessarily for the worse, either.

I'm not an expert, but I have to imagine it was "approved" in the sense that he was aware of it and checked off on its creation, but not "official imagery" in the sense that he had much to do with the creation, or that it's particularly relevant. Working within the anime industry can mean having to go through the motions of making promotional art even when it doesn't matter, I guess.

Last edited by Arale (07-20-2018 07:32:08 AM)

im a shadow play girl irl

Board footer