This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#2176 | Back to Top05-27-2016 06:47:32 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

Re: [Welcome] Introduce yourself here!!

Hi! I just finished watching the 39 episodes of Utena today and wow do I need more of it. Probably need to watch the movie soon. So I stumbled across this forum and figured I should join since I can tell that this is a series that I will love to discuss. So yeah, revolutionize the world!

#2177 | Back to Top05-28-2016 08:02:25 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Hello to our new members!

I'm afraid I've hardly been posting recently except to bitch about IRL stuff, but it's good to see so much new discussion going on, and fresh blood coming in is definitely a big part of what's keeping things lively!

If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask me, the mods, or pretty much anyone with a relatively high post count.  I for one can guarantee that I will take nearly any opportunity to talk someone's ear off.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#2178 | Back to Top05-29-2016 03:00:07 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Kita, our ambassador!

Everything Kita-Ysabell said is true, and good advice. Do feel free to hit us up with questions or comments. And, I hope you enjoy your time here!

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2179 | Back to Top05-29-2016 02:18:35 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Kita, our ambassador!

Wait, what? emot-confused

Is this, like, a thing?  When did that happen?

Last edited by Kita-Ysabell (05-29-2016 02:19:04 PM)

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#2180 | Back to Top05-29-2016 05:14:22 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Kita, our ambassador!

Wait, what? emot-confused

Is this, like, a thing?  When did that happen?

Just then. It's not official. We didn't break a bottle of champagne over anything.

But, unofficially, that was some good ambassadoring you did. That's all.

(Sorry for the confusion.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2181 | Back to Top05-29-2016 07:28:55 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Oh.  Heh.  Thanks.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#2182 | Back to Top05-31-2016 03:23:54 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Hi! My name is Mary! I live in New Orleans where I was born and raised. I'm currently 21 and I was 13 the first time I saw SKU. It was interesting watching SKU when I was the same age as the characters and it's interesting to watch it again now that I am older. I'm a huge fan of the anime, manga, movie, and soundtracks. I listen to the soundtracks almost everyday like a crazy person. I'm almost finished watching the series for the third time and it's my first time watching it with other people- they're loving it.

I don't have a favorite character seeing that there are so many amazing ones in the show. I chose blushing Miki as my avatar because I blush a lot and get red easily. emot-biggrin

I've been more or less a ghost on this forum for the past few years. I love to read other people's interpretations of the show on here. I finally decided to join and I look forward to it. emot-smile

Last edited by maridaberri (05-31-2016 03:24:53 PM)

#2183 | Back to Top06-01-2016 02:48:45 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

maridaberri, I'm glad you made the leap from lurking to posting. And, now you have access to all the hidden parts, like IFD and the Armory. (Well, IFD, anyway.)

#2184 | Back to Top06-15-2016 12:26:38 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'm just poking my head in here to say I'm back from the dead. How has everyone been?

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#2185 | Back to Top06-21-2016 03:16:19 AM

Deledrius
New Student

Hi there!  I'm a long-time Utena fan that found this forum late last year when I came across the fan-translation of Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari (I can't wait to play it!).  I figured I should register and download it before it disappears to link rot, and probably stick around for the great discussions you all seem to have here.  I'm disappointed that I didn't find this place a decade ago.

#2186 | Back to Top06-21-2016 04:47:22 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Hi Deledrius! Welcome to In the Rose Garden! I just finished playing the game for the first time yesterday. It was amusing, I'm sure you'll like it. Btw, great avatar! emot-smile

Last edited by maridaberri (06-21-2016 04:49:36 PM)

#2187 | Back to Top06-23-2016 01:16:59 AM

Deledrius
New Student

Thanks, Mary!  I'm glad my simple avatar is appreciated.  It's just a quick one I made to have something here, but that shot was always one of my favourite visuals so it seemed a good place to start.

#2188 | Back to Top07-03-2016 01:40:25 PM

airetam
Wakaba Wrangler

emot-dance Hello you all, Utena newbie here who can't get enough so sought out the forums only to find Chu-Chu everywhere I wanted to go.  Very fitting.  Well played. 

Finally experienced the anime series but knew about it in the vaguest sense for years.  Going in all I really knew was that it had something to do with gender roles, prince and princess motifs, and cars.  Yeah, I was in for a ride of a lifetime. I'm not much of an anime watcher so I won't kick myself too much for not having seen the show sooner - actually works in my favor since this show functions best if the viewer is mentally equipped to decipher it and I feel I got a lot out of my viewing. 

It was an unparalleled delight and I actually got headaches from watching episodes since they are so dense with layers upon layers of meaning.  I was frantically trying to decode all the layers simultaneously because I knew it was like the delta of a river all feeding into one huge Nile of meaning.  It's been a few months, just watched it back in March, but I am still processing and still getting a scream out of the Nanami episodes and Chu-Chu.   

I've avoided reading all the tempting analyses because I don't want to color my own interpretation since I would like to make a thread of a newbie's perspective before delving into this incredible treasure trove of actual years' worth of ruminations and theorizing school-sherlock.  Things have been discussed to the nth degree I realize, yet perhaps with enough revolutions of analysis maybe a variation in thought will occur?  It'll be fun anyhow.

#2189 | Back to Top07-03-2016 03:22:47 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Welcome, airetam! You've come to the right place. emot-smile

Last edited by maridaberri (07-04-2016 12:28:08 AM)

#2190 | Back to Top07-06-2016 05:52:08 PM

CamiKins
New Student
Website

Hello!~

The name's Cami. emot-keke
I'm an avid anime fan and in the last few years I've especially become an enthusiast of Ikuhara's works.
As soon as I finished Utena, I couldn't believe I'd put off checking it out for so long. It's now one of my all-time favorites. etc-love
I love spending time chatting about the series, and showing my love for it in every fandom facet possible.
My hobbies include video-editing, singing, reading, cosplay, and a whole lot of media consumption/analysis/study (film student here, haha).

I was referred to this forum by purplepolecat (AMV acquaintances), after we got to chatting and I did an Utena cosplay at SakuraCon, which I plan to post after this~

I look forward to hanging around here and chatting with others! emot-dance

"It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept."
                                                                                   - Bill Watterson

#2191 | Back to Top07-11-2016 09:39:33 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

Hello, everyone! I'm Zerokohai, but feel free to call me Zero!

I was introduced to SKU through the many allusions to it in Steven Universe, and while I've only watched the first arc thus far, I love it. Never really been a shōjo fan, but something about SKU resonates with me. Maybe it's all of the positive character traits within Utena Tenjō herself. I plan to get the whole thing watched now I have a lot more free time (I finished school about two weeks ago, and am spending my time finishing my backlog of games and trying to git gud at drawing before I start university).

Nice to meet you all! It's definitely interesting going from a fanbase as huge and active as SU (granted, SU is ongoing, SKU is not) to something a bit more chill and secluded like SKU.

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#2192 | Back to Top07-12-2016 05:33:37 PM

Jelenity
New Student

Hello and thank you for putting up with the newbies to the forum. I was an avid collector of many things anime and due to space have finally stopped lol. I love my anime series and I love k and j Drama as well. I got my husband and both daughters hooked on many series and my husband and I both equally love Utena as a series. Personally Utena is my favorite as I love the whole tomboy type. ^_~

#2193 | Back to Top08-24-2016 01:11:11 AM

revoutena
New Student

Hello. I would like to introduce myself. school-devil

I keenly remember RGU coming on Adult Swim when I was a child. My mother refused to let me watch it after she saw a more risque scene (I don't remember what it was, just that I was forbidden from watching it after one episode). I was a good kid so I didn't disobey her, even if every time I saw a late-night advert for RGU I was extremely curious.

Fast forward years later and a friend of mine has DVDs that she got but didn't want. - she called them unchristian and then offered them to me...which is pretty hilarious now that I think about it. emot-rofl No but really she knew I loved anime and she said she read about Utena and felt uncomfortable with some themes so pawed them off to me. emot-dance I got the Limited Edition boxsets for free!!!

Anyway, I'll wrap this up - I'm only into season 2 but I feel like this is already quickly becoming my favorite anime show. Well, maybe after Sailor Moon, but they are two completely different shows so it isn't far to compare.

So, HI! My names Lydia!!!school-devil

#2194 | Back to Top08-24-2016 09:16:16 PM

ucckonacoffee
New Student

Hey! I watched utena a few years back, but I just recently found out that the sega saturn game got translated about a year ago, so I decided to make an account. 
I hope i'll enjoy my stay in the forum! emot-biggrinemot-biggrin

#2195 | Back to Top08-25-2016 12:56:38 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Hello, new posters! Glad to see so many recently.

#2196 | Back to Top08-29-2016 05:52:58 AM

BlueKnightSeiran
New Student

Well after way to long I've come back. SKU always pulls you back. Also I finally got the series in full on Amazon. The last time I saw anything past 'Curried High Trip' the only way to see it was the fan subbed bootlegs on VHS.

#2197 | Back to Top09-25-2016 08:56:07 PM

Pinstru
New Student

Hello, Pinstru here. I'm new.

I love RGU, that's why I'm here.

Other things I love include: myself, tea, alone time, gay girls, theories, and cartoons.

I just turned 20 a month ago, I'm a film major, and I drive buses for money.

Nice meeting yall emot-smile

#2198 | Back to Top09-30-2016 08:49:24 PM

Tarotgirl
New Student

Hey, I'm Paige. I first watched Utena when I was fourteen (Wow, almost a decade ago! *feels old* It defiantly left an impression on me and I have been trying to make time to rewatch it again. I hear that Utena is better when you rewatch it as an adult

It helped me through discovering my bisexuality and just my love of girl romance

And as my name suggests, I LOVE tarot. I even recently have started a side "business" on tumblr where I give readings. I love reading and writing too.

I work as a janitor in my main job. I actually enjoy it. I prefer having a more introvert job compared to a competitive workplace and I tend to fail at school...

Oh, and quick question. I've been having trouble uploading an Avatar, it says they are too big, but I am getting them off LJ. So what is the problem?

#2199 | Back to Top10-01-2016 05:01:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hi, Tarotgirl! Welcome to IRG! emot-biggrin

I think LJ may allow avatars to be a little bigger than IRG is formatted for. Avatars here need to be 100x100 pixels or smaller. If you're not sure how to resize it, you can email me a link to the image and I'll make sure it happens. emot-smile

#2200 | Back to Top10-01-2016 06:16:40 PM

Tarotgirl
New Student

Thank you for the welcome. I sent you a link to it

Board footer