This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-31-2008 10:50:54 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

The final year of RENT.

Theater buffs probably already know about this, but Jonathan Larson's beloved RENT will be ending its Broadway run on September 7, 2008. Yes, that's way less than 525,600 minutes away. What's good is that they actually extended it from the original end date being June 1st. I'm planning on watching it this summer before it goes away, but there is some hope.

Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp (the original Roger and Mark) will be performing with the touring group in 2009. I'd much rather watch it if there were some originals in the show. There's also a high chance they'll come to my town (we always get the Broadway tours). If they do come, I'll probably watch it each night (yes, I am that dedicated) or at least more than once. It's a shame that I never seen the show live before (just some bootlegs off of Youtube). The movie doesn't compare. I've been a fan of the music since it started in 1996 when my music teacher played the recording of "Seasons of Love".

So, I definately recommend you try to get tickets and go to Broadway for your summer plans or when the group goes to NYC. If you can't, commemorate the day of one of the greatest musicals of all time ... or try to watch that touring group I mentioned when they get within your range.

Ohhh Adam ... etc-loveetc-loveetc-love His voice is sex.

#2 | Back to Top03-31-2008 11:05:57 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: The final year of RENT.

I'm almost tempted to go, just to make myself learn to like it.  The gag in Hedwig summed up my feelings about Rent more eloquently than I could, but I do like some of the songs, and I admit I like it more than I let myself.

Anyone up to selling me on this, more?  Did I miss something back in the nineties?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top03-31-2008 11:54:40 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I'm almost tempted to go, just to make myself learn to like it.  The gag in Hedwig summed up my feelings about Rent more eloquently than I could, but I do like some of the songs, and I admit I like it more than I let myself.

Anyone up to selling me on this, more?  Did I miss something back in the nineties?

are referring to the Hedwig movie?

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#4 | Back to Top04-01-2008 05:53:10 AM

redrice009
Banned

I saw RENT in 06, got the signatures, and the guy who played Angel hit on my friend at the after party emot-dance

#5 | Back to Top04-01-2008 07:17:08 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Decrescent Daytripper: Have you only watched the movie? If so, then I can understand why you might not like. I myself know a handful of people who got totally turned off by it. The lines in the play are supposed to be read like a poem and are sometimes sang. It's based off an opera after all (Puccini's La Boheme. They tried to make the formerly sang lines spoken ... and at times it ended up sounding weird or tacky. RENT is really meant to be seen on stage, not as much as the silver screen. I did like the movie though. I guess you either love it or hate it. The perk with the movie is the fact that a good bunch of the original cast are in it since we can't see that anymore (though they did a temporary Anniversary run last summer).

Plus, if you ever decide to go ... you get to moo with Maureen!

But if you actually did see the play and ended up not liking it, then I guess I can't help you much there. If you happen to decide to go, I hope you'll find yourself enjoying it. You'll find that there was a whole lot of stuff cut out and with the energy of the audience, it makes it a lot of fun.

#6 | Back to Top04-01-2008 07:39:16 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I saw it live ages ago, have seen bits of the movie, and actually own a soundtrack unless I've given it away already.  I like the story and the music, but feel the atmosphere lacks veracity, and that's not at all an issue of it being a musical, so much as a version of "let's play pretend" that feels like it's dressed up in racial/classist/gender issues than honestly exploring them.  But, it's been a long time, so I'm thinking maybe I'll look on it more favorably now.

More favorably than I will if I have to catch a revival tour in thirty years hence, anyway.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top04-01-2008 08:24:11 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I think I'm the only person on this planet who cannot stand RENT. I have listened to the whole thing and I don't see what the appeal is. I think the music is awful and I find the story boring. D: If I want a rock-musical I listen to Hedwig. (God, that music is incredible.)

The jokes in Hedwig about RENT are great. etc-love

Board footer