This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-30-2006 09:35:30 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Re: Utena meets Magic: the Gathering in a huge nerdy meltdown!!!

One thing, is I would swap the Haste and Lure abilities in the elevator cycle.  Not major, but it would work better color-wise.

Also, I notice some general themes starting to emerge in the design.  A very strong 'duel mechanic' where the attacker gets a much larger role than normal in determining how blocking occurs.  (And at the rate we're coming up with cards, we can probably get a whole small expansion out of this if it keeps up.)  Maybe someone could design some on-theme sorceries and instants to counter that tendency?  Blue I suspect should be given some extra Stifle-like oomph, since activated abilities will clearly be very important here.  Also, I'm gonna come up with some preliminary places in the color-pie where various characters and their theme cards should probably go.

Saionji:  G
Miki: U
Juri:  W
Nanami:  R
Touga: B

Utena:  W/R
Anthy:  U/B/G
Akio:  U/B
Mikage:  W/B

Any major ones I missed?

Edit:  Gave Anthy green.  I think I'll also edit her card to reflect that.

Himemiya Anthy
2BUUG
Legendary Creature - Human Witch
X:  Put an X/X animal token with haste into play.  At end of turn, sacrifice all animal tokens you control
UU, T: Search your deck for target equipment card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
~This~ cannot be equipped.
1/4

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 10:19:29 PM)

#27 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:01:55 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

CMK wrote:

One thing, is I would swap the Haste and Lure abilities in the elevator cycle.  Not major, but it would work better color-wise.

Also, I notice some general themes starting to emerge in the design.  A very strong 'duel mechanic' where the attacker gets a much larger role than normal in determining how blocking occurs.  (And at the rate we're coming up with cards, we can probably get a whole small expansion out of this if it keeps up.)  Maybe someone could design some on-theme sorceries and instants to counter that tendency?  Blue I suspect should be given some extra Stifle-like oomph, since activated abilities will clearly be very important here.  Also, I'm gonna come up with some preliminary places in the color-pie where various characters and their theme cards should probably go.

Saionji:  G
Miki: U
Juri:  W
Nanami:  R
Touga: B

Utena:  W/R
Anthy:  U/B
Akio:  U/B
Mikage:  W/B

Any major ones I missed?

Hm... the haste and lure need to be where they are.  Green doesn't do haste much, but this doesn't "feel" like haste, in much the same way Suspend cards don't "feel" like they have haste.  And there's a firm design reason Arena Elevator gives haste: it would be pretty useless if it didn't emot-smile  As for the staircase, red has dabbled in lure with Goblin Fire Fiend, and for similar reasons.  I think it works.

I guess the Student Council members do pretty much have to be a cycle, huh?  If each has to be a different single color, the ones you chose are the best.  Juri in white is strained, but the rest are fine.  Shouldn't Anthy have a touch of green?  She's responsible for a garden where no one can ever grow up, after all -- her garden and her personality both resist externally imposed change in the same way green does.  Plus she's the closest thing Utena has to a Mother Earth; she is The World in the well-constructed Utena Tarot deck.

I'll think about interesting, thematic Stifle variants.  I do want to warn you, re the Imprint stuff, that while it's quite cool in concept it's confusing in execution.  As Maro says, figure out what's cool and take out the rest.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-30-2006 10:09:13 PM)

#28 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:04:21 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Heh, caught me just as I was doing it.

Also, just a thought, but I was thinking about taking the Student Council a bit beyond a cycle and almost doing a 'mini-guild' around each one.  Each would have the following directly around them

Character Card:  Naturally.  All are legends.

Bride Card:  The character who served as their Rose Bride during their final duel.  Also legends.

Black Rose Duelist:  The person who pulled a sword from their chest.  Also legends.

Instant:  Some commonly-associated action.  Since Nanami's red, she gets an extra one instead of a Bride Card (since Touga is her bride)

Sorcery:  A thematic event associated with the character.  Miki gets two.

Enchantment:  These would be the 'victory condition' each duelist wants from the game.  "Power of Miracles" "Something Eternal" etc.  Saionji should get another on-theme enchantment for after his Akio arc duel.

Touga comes up a card short.  Not sure what his extra should be, though.

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 10:14:26 PM)

#29 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:39:05 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Last four for the night, my brains, befrazzled...

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8189/nemuromemorialhallam1.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2605/theblackrosebloomsjf9.jpg

I could have sworn I fixed that "Encahntment":... oh well, please ignore it.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1561/theakiocaraz8.jpg
Sory about the text switching up, it was quite ong and would have looked more awkward then it does right now, if I had kept the normal choice of words in.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1658/ohtorigatezw1.jpg

#30 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:39:45 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

I do want to warn you, re the Imprint stuff, that while it's quite cool in concept it's confusing in execution.  As Maro says, figure out what's cool and take out the rest.

Yeah.  Last time I played at any sort of serious level was during Mirrodin block.  I understand how Imprint works implicitly, but it was one of the nastier mechanics of the block.  I think I made a mistake in assuming everyone would grasp it quickly.

To clarify for everyone who wasn't there, during Mirrodin there were several artifacts with an Imprint ability.  This required you to sacrifice or discard something to the 'out of play' zone as you played the artifact.  That card is then "Imprinted" onto the played artifact.  The card would take on some aspect of the imprinted card (there was even one that would let you tap it and pay 2 to cast an imprinted spell.)

Where Soul Sword differs is that there is no Imprint ability on the card, and instead several cards in the set expand on Imprinting by allowing you to Imprint outside of the limits set out in Mirrodin.  Note that these cards were specifically worded so they'd interact with those older cards in the same way as they do with Soul Sword.

The fact that it took this long to explain means the set either needs to have separate Imprint cards (So Soul Sword has some sort of internal reference point), or this mini-theme should be discarded.

#31 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:42:46 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

You're right, the wording for the car was awkward. The reason I put it that way though, was because if you use the Car's ability a second time, Akio leaves play. Hmm... perhaps only if the Car leaves play it would work better. Or would that be too cheap?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#32 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:43:17 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I am one for keeping this in, as it makes a lot of sense, especially on the Black Rose saga parts. I'm sure it will be adjusted to.

#33 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:44:33 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

ShatteredMirror wrote:

You're right, the wording for the car was awkward. The reason I put it that way though, was because if you use the Car's ability a second time, Akio leaves play. Hmm... perhaps only if the Car leaves play it would work better. Or would that be too cheap?

Up the ability cost to 5 and remove references to Akio entirely.

Edit:  To clarify, we should probably start trying to limit specific references to other cards.  I did it with the Soul Sword thing because that design specifically needed a number of support cards, but in retrospect that also wasn't the best idea.

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 10:46:34 PM)

#34 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:47:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

CMK wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

I do want to warn you, re the Imprint stuff, that while it's quite cool in concept it's confusing in execution.  As Maro says, figure out what's cool and take out the rest.

Yeah.  Last time I played at any sort of serious level was during Mirrodin block.  I understand how Imprint works implicitly, but it was one of the nastier mechanics of the block.  I think I made a mistake in assuming everyone would grasp it quickly.

To clarify for everyone who wasn't there, during Mirrodin there were several artifacts with an Imprint ability.  This required you to sacrifice or discard something to the 'out of play' zone as you played the artifact.  That card is then "Imprinted" onto the played artifact.  The card would take on some aspect of the imprinted card (there was even one that would let you tap it and pay 2 to cast an imprinted spell.)

Where Soul Sword differs is that there is no Imprint ability on the card, and instead several cards in the set expand on Imprinting by allowing you to Imprint outside of the limits set out in Mirrodin.  Note that these cards were specifically worded so they'd interact with those older cards in the same way as they do with Soul Sword.

The fact that it took this long to explain means the set either needs to have separate Imprint cards (So Soul Sword has some sort of internal reference point), or this mini-theme should be discarded.

The idea of Soul Sword having Imprint or an Imprint-like ability is too cool to ditch.  I'm not sure the part about needing another card to make something imprint onto Soul Sword is cool, though.  Unless we're going to end up with several cards with Imprint, it might be simpler to do something smaller and more explicit.  Something along the lines of "When you play Soul Sword, remove a creature you control from the game.  Creatures Soul Sword equips have the keywords and activated abilities of the creature you removed."

Side note: yes.  No card should refer to other specific cards unless there is a really good reason.  This has virtually never been done in "real" MTG, because it's confusing and limiting.  There are better ways to adjust a card's power flavorfully.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-30-2006 10:48:57 PM)

#35 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:49:10 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

CMK wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Up the ability cost to 5 and remove references to Akio entirely.

That's possible too. I put it the way it was because it's Akio's means, kind of how the Black Rose signets were the ones to imprint cards on the Soul Sword. Hmm. I'll have to give this some thought and come up with a better way to handle it.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#36 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:55:04 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

CMK wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

The idea of Soul Sword having Imprint or an Imprint-like ability is too cool to ditch.  I'm not sure the part about needing another card to make something imprint onto Soul Sword is cool, though.  Unless we're going to end up with several cards with Imprint, it might be simpler to do something smaller and more explicit.  Something along the lines of "When you play Soul Sword, remove a creature you control from the game.  Creatures Soul Sword equips have the keywords and activated abilities of the creature you removed."

The ultimate idea behind Soul Sword not being able to imprint on its' own is to give them the flexibility they have in the show without needing multiple cards.  Perhaps instead leave the other Imprint additions alone, give Soul Sword an Imprint ability but limit it in some major way so that using the more complicated methods pays off bigger?

Example

Soul Sword
Artifact - Equipment
Imprint -- When ~this~ comes into play you may remove a nontoken, nonlegend creature with a casting cost 4 or less from the game.
Only one card may be Imprinted on ~This~
Equipped creature gets +X/+Y, where X is the imprinted creature's power and Y is the imprinted creature's toughness.
Equip 3

#37 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:01:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

CMK wrote:

The ultimate idea behind Soul Sword not being able to imprint on its' own is to give them the flexibility they have in the show without needing multiple cards.  Perhaps instead leave the other Imprint additions alone, give Soul Sword an Imprint ability but limit it in some major way so that using the more complicated methods pays off bigger?

Example

Soul Sword
Artifact - Equipment
Imprint -- When ~this~ comes into play you may remove a nontoken, nonlegend creature with a casting cost 4 or less from the game.
Only one card may be Imprinted on ~This~
Equipped creature gets +X/+Y, where X is the imprinted creature's power and Y is the imprinted creature's toughness.
Equip 3

Much better!  Now I feel like Soul Sword does something.  The idea of replacing its initial imprint with a better one via another card is fine, as long as that other card is useful for things other than enhancing Soul Sword.  I think we can lose "only one card may be imprinted on this" (clunky) as long as we make sure the other card says "unimprint the card imprinted on X; then do Y" or "replace the card imprinted on X with Y."  This also makes it clearer what happens if you try to imprint something that's already imprinted; as written, I'd think it would be against the rules.

#38 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:02:16 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Hmm, the only problem I see with this is, that won't some of the Student Council cost more then 4 to play? Which technically speaking would be above the soul sword's power.

EDIT: Or was that the purpose of the Soul Sword?

Last edited by Xu Yuan (11-30-2006 11:03:26 PM)

#39 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:06:44 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Xu Yuan wrote:

Hmm, the only problem I see with this is, that won't some of the Student Council cost more then 4 to play? Which technically speaking would be above the soul sword's power.

EDIT: Or was that the purpose of the Soul Sword?

Exactly.  The Soul Sword by itself can only imprint a Black Rose Duelist or something else relatively small; if you want to imprint something big, like a Student Council member, you need to find an external way to imprint that card onto the Soul Sword.  CMK's idea is that a card like the Black Rose Seal could replace the Soul Sword's imprint with something bigger, that the Soul Sword couldn't imprint on its own.  It's very novel and a little confusing, but it could be very interesting.

#40 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:09:28 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Ah... prefect! Make them actually work to imprint the big guys! I'll create the soul sword right away then.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3289/soulswordre9.jpg

Fixed agian... I hope.

Last edited by Xu Yuan (11-30-2006 11:22:35 PM)

#41 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:09:55 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

CMK wrote:

Soul Sword
Artifact - Equipment
Only one card may be Imprinted on ~This~.  If another card becomes Imprinted, return the first card to play.
Equip 3

Much better!  Now I feel like Soul Sword does something.  The idea of replacing its initial imprint with a better one via another card is fine, as long as that other card is useful for things other than enhancing Soul Sword.  I think we can lose "only one card may be imprinted on this" (clunky) as long as we make sure the other card says "unimprint the card imprinted on X; then do Y" or "replace the card imprinted on X with Y."  This also makes it clearer what happens if you try to imprint something that's already imprinted; as written, I'd think it would be against the rules.

Actually, in most other cases the specific interactions are quite legal.  Let me go through, but off the top of my head I know Isochron Scepter not only works, but I'm pretty sure it was already balanced with these sorts of shenanigans in mind (it won't let you work with a spell that has a casting cost above 2.)  Soul Sword breaks if you imprint multiple things on it, since there's no mechanism for knowing which imprint to use.  Edited it a little more to clarify what happens when something else imprints (in essence, it becomes someone else's soul sword and the first person is all right.)  Also, if you imprint a card that isn't allowed (for example, if you imprinted a Counterspell onto Soul Sword) nothing happens.

Xu Yuan wrote:

By design.  The other cards that let you imprint it at other times than when you play it still exist, at this point, and those let you break the rules and put more powerful things on it.

Edit:  Overall, this is a "Johnny" card at least in concept.  You need to figure out a few puzzles (although being familiar with the show helps) before you can get the most potential out of it.

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 11:11:40 PM)

#42 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:21:01 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Okay, a quick glance through Gatherer tells me that the design's not so cut and dried.  While none of the cards outright break if exposed to other sources of imprinting, some of them weren't designed especially well if such effects are available.  Isochron Scepter, for example, DOES work with Instants costing more than two mana.  Some of the wordings also become awkward if you're not an expert with the Comprehensive Rules.  Still, it wouldn't be an interesting Johnny concept if it didn't have some weird rules interactions.

#43 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:44:17 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

You know, Wizards releases expansions in three installments.  Utena has... lessee... three seasons.  Wouldn't it be fun if we had the resources to design an entire expansion?  The big "REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA" set in fall, followed by smaller sets called "The Black Rose Saga" and "Apocalypse?"

Wishful thinking emot-smile

#44 | Back to Top11-30-2006 11:51:03 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

satyreyes wrote:

You know, Wizards releases expansions in three installments.  Utena has... lessee... three seasons.  Wouldn't it be fun if we had the resources to design an entire expansion?  The big "REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA" set in fall, followed by smaller sets called "The Black Rose Saga" and "Apocalypse?"

Wishful thinking emot-smile

Not sure there's quite enough material for that. (635 cards, I think.)   On the other hand, I think there's enough for a stand-alone Small Expansion (165 cards) if we stretch it out a little.  The real trick will be common and uncommon critters.  I've got five, but we'll need to make up some things....maybe try to fill in around with elements of normal school life that would be...a little different with Akio around.

Edit:  On that note, IF we want to go down that route, I think a collaborative database on Google Docs would be helpful.  I'd need a Gmail invite though.

Last edited by CMK (11-30-2006 11:55:55 PM)

#45 | Back to Top12-01-2006 08:17:38 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

Okay, I think Satyreyes is on the gmail invite, but that doesn't mean more contributions aren't needed.  In addition to the above, to be a real set, we need some more mechanics desperately.  The dueling mechanic is largely an aggressive white in flavor (with some red, although that's definitely subject to change), and I'm thinking of maybe revisiting Odyssey block's 'summon animal' theme for green.  That leaves room for blue, black, and red hallmark mechanics.  Blue and Black can probably share something heavily Akio in nature.

Also, from this point on it would be helpful if serious submissions were in text as well as picture-based formats.

#46 | Back to Top12-01-2006 08:47:37 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

And a few 'just for fun' animal summoning cards.

"Oh, that's Mr. Mongoose!"
The glowing eyes inside of Anthy's drawer
Instant
1G
Put a 1/1 Mongoose token into play under your control
Play ~this~ only outside of combat.

Elephant Herd
Any of the more bizarre elephant pictures
Sorcery
4XG
Put X 3/3 elephant tokens into play.
If you did not play Elephant Herd, remove it from the game if it would be sent to the graveyard.
Flashback:  XX life (you may play this card from the graveyard by paying its' flashback cost and removing it from the game.)

Edit:  XX life to mean "you pay X life twice"  A 3/3 can be worth two life, but not one, certainly not in Green.

Last edited by CMK (12-01-2006 11:40:43 AM)

#47 | Back to Top12-01-2006 09:31:04 AM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Hmm... as red is Nanami there isn't much room for instant damage correct? In that case a lot of Haste and Hard hitter's (Keiko, Aiko, Yuuko?) are needed. Also maybe Sonoda, Tana...da and... other... guy. Wouldn't be bad either.

#48 | Back to Top12-01-2006 09:34:02 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

Musical Henchman
1R
Creature - Henchman
Haste
If you control three or more cards named ~this~, ~this~ gets double-strike
A deck can have any number of cards named ~this.~
2/2

Edit:  Changed the cost to be a little more in line with Relentless Rats.  Double-strike is good, but it's nowhere near THAT good.

Last edited by CMK (12-01-2006 09:44:04 AM)

#49 | Back to Top12-01-2006 09:46:51 AM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Ha, that's a prety interesting card... now I need to find a screenshot of the three, heh.

#50 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:24:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh god you people rock and I want to participate but I don't remember the rules well enough and you're all using newfangled Shadow and this that and the other thing.

I was playing Mirage for god's sake. emot-gonk (Actually the deck I did keep, because it's almost entirely rares, is mostly Invasion-era.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer