This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-11-2007 08:21:49 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

SKU and the Zodiac

Okay, so it took me a while to make this. I'm not really sure what I want to say here, so I'll go with this.

Kanae is an Aries.
Touga, Miki, and Kozue are all Geminis.
Tsuwabuki is a Cancer.
Nanami is a Leo.
Saionji is a Virgo, but may exhibit slight Leo tendencies.
Akio is a Virgo...allegedly.
Keiko is a Libra.
Juri and Mikage(Nemuro?) are both Sagittarius.
Utena is a Capricorn.
Ruka is an Aquarius, but may exhibit slight Capricorn tendencies. (I got Ruka's birthday from here.)
Shiori is an Aquarius.
Wakaba is a Pisces.
Anthy is a Pisces...allegedly.

My usage of "Allegedly" with Akio and Anthy is based on the idea that they're lying. Although, it's entirely possible that these are their actual birthdays, but under a different calendar system because they may just be that old.

Utena, Akio, and Saionji are all Earth signs.
Anthy, Wakaba, and Tsuwabuki are all Water signs.
Kanae, Nanami, Mikage, and Juri are all Fire signs.
Touga, Miki, Kozue, Keiko, Shiori, and Ruka are all Air signs.

Kanae, Tsuwabuki, Keiko, and Utena are all Cardinal signs.
Nanami, Shiori, and Ruka are all Fixed signs.
Juri, Anthy,Wakaba, Touga, Miki, Kozue, Akio, Mikage, and Saionji are all Mutable signs.

I'll probably add more later, but this is to get things started. Isn't it odd that Utena, Akio, and Saionji are all Earth signs, the "practical" element?

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (06-12-2007 04:37:28 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#2 | Back to Top06-11-2007 08:29:22 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Re: SKU and the Zodiac

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I'll probably add more later, but this is to get things started. Isn't it odd that Utena, Akio, and Saionji are all Earth signs, the "practical" element?

Yeah there are few characters who are less practical than those three. emot-tongue

I'm a Leo so I've known Nanami is a Leo for a long time now... of course when anime creators think up Leos they are always sure to get the people who thirst for popularity or are very popular.  Juri and Mikage as Saggitarius makes a lot of sense too.

Akio is the virgin?... LIES, ALL LIES!!! >P

#3 | Back to Top06-11-2007 09:09:20 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I can't contribute much to this topic but...

in the manga (I read it once, I might be wrong) didn't Miki and Utena find a calendar in Touga's room that had a bunch of zodiac signs on it. emot-confused

Maybe I'll come back after I read up soe since I currently know little other than I'm what whatever Ruka is...

#4 | Back to Top06-11-2007 09:58:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Scortia wrote:

Wouldn't it technically be Dios' birthday? emot-confused

Isn't Touga a classic Scorpio, though? It's been a while. emot-redface Saionji at least is exactly where he should be. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top06-12-2007 03:21:34 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

OMG it's like a topic....but for me....

Isn't Touga a classic Scorpio, though?

Naaaaaahhhh. I thought the same before but you gotta be darker than that. And the ego is the massive throw off, it also makes him make mistakes, a Scorpio would NOT do that. If Touga was a scorpio I imagine there might have been some more complicated stuff involved like revenge or what have you.

Shiori and Ruka are the same sign. Thats saying something.

My Tsuwabuki is a Cancer, that is too cute.

*shifty eyes* I will be back.....

Edit:

This is what I said in the astrology thread:

Coco Melancholy wrote:

I'm very much into astrology, though my charts pretty boring. I'm a Cancer with an Aquarian moon, *yawn*, and air and water signs all over the place.

Anyway, what I find most interesting is connecting signs to characters. For example in SKU Anthy is a pisces and very much like the fish which is the oldest sign in the zodiac and the master of escapism, (Anthy's coffin? Need I say more?).

The sign Pisces is friends with Capricorn, Taurus and Virgo. Capricorn is Utena's sign making Anthy and Utena astrological friends. Capricorn is also the sign Pisces feels most safe with, which I can see in light of the roles of prince and princess the two characters both play, and also with the fact that as the series progresses Anthy does develop a bond with Utena, miraculous considering how many princes must of proclaimed before hand to keep her safe and failed. (Wakaba is also Utena's friend, (best friend to be exact), and she's also a pisces). Also Anthy's sign of Pisces is opposite Akio's sign which is Virgo. Virgo is also most suited of all to Virgo, Taurus and Capricorn, Capricorn....Utena??

I've noticed in anime that a lot of the main characters are earth signs, though most are mainly Capricorn, and thats mostly the goal orientated get up and go sort of characters. Furuba is my fav when it comes to astrological anaysis.

Heres pretty good for astrology: www.cafeastrology.com

Last edited by Coco Melancholy (06-12-2007 03:30:29 AM)

#6 | Back to Top06-12-2007 03:29:58 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

[offtopic] I saw the title and immediately thought it was about... you know, the Zodiac. (I have odd hobbies. etc-love) [/offtopic]

#7 | Back to Top06-12-2007 04:05:50 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Scortia wrote:

Wouldn't it technically be Dios' birthday? emot-confused

Isn't Touga a classic Scorpio, though? It's been a while. emot-redface Saionji at least is exactly where he should be. emot-frown

..he certainly has the sex drive of one. emot-biggrin (I don't know, though. I'm a Scorpio but not interested in sex - at least, not involving me) Actually, he reminds me more of a Leo..

Edit: Also, the Virgo technically represents a goddess of corn/harvest, not actually a virgin.. at least, from what I've read, although most people do associate it with a virgin. I need to read more about it. Virgo's catch phrase is also "I analyze".

But, yeah, totally Dios' birthday. emot-keke

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (06-12-2007 04:08:42 AM)

#8 | Back to Top06-12-2007 02:16:40 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Oh wow, Kanae has the same sign as me! In fact, her birthday is four days before mine.

Kanae isn't a typical Aries. At least, I wouldn't've thought so. If I was Kanae, I wouldn't let Akio just ignore me like that. Not at all! *nervous laugh* eheheh.

#9 | Back to Top06-12-2007 04:38:16 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Opening post edited to link to each sign.

That is all.

#10 | Back to Top06-12-2007 04:44:50 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I feel sad, I like Nanami and all, but I wish I was in the same zodiac classification as Utena, Can you do Chinese Zodiac?

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#11 | Back to Top06-12-2007 04:46:04 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

You're shitting me.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#12 | Back to Top06-13-2007 07:25:34 AM

Pandora
Pathtracer

I just noticed, Shiori has the exact same birthday as my mum.

#13 | Back to Top06-13-2007 07:43:18 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

To quote Persephone, you're shitting me, right?

I don't think whoever was in charge of making up the birthdays put too much thought into it.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#14 | Back to Top06-13-2007 09:23:31 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

dollface wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

To quote Persephone, you're shitting me, right?

I don't think whoever was in charge of making up the birthdays put too much thought into it.

That may be, but how often do you find someone to be what the zodiac sign is supposed to represent?
I think in Blood type have something to do with this, too. I read in a Chinese website a couple years back that different blood type also is believed to have different effects upon the zodiac of the person. Like O type and Virgo is PERFECT, while B type and Virgo may call for contradiction and conflict of opposing elements of personalities.

#15 | Back to Top06-13-2007 10:05:02 AM

Wolfio
Miki Molester

allegoriest wrote:

I can't contribute much to this topic but...

in the manga (I read it once, I might be wrong) didn't Miki and Utena find a calendar in Touga's room that had a bunch of zodiac signs on it. emot-confused

Maybe I'll come back after I read up soe since I currently know little other than I'm what whatever Ruka is...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/ … 1181750539

I can scan individual sections if anyone wants.

#16 | Back to Top06-13-2007 10:36:41 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Oh my! Individual section WOULD BE great! Wolfio! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hiraku (06-13-2007 10:37:02 AM)

#17 | Back to Top06-13-2007 10:47:01 AM

Wolfio
Miki Molester

This page is the only time we get a good look at everything, and the image is not mentioned in volume one or three. (I haven't read four or five yet; they're on their way.)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/ … 1181753130

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/ … 1181753129

The writing itself doesn't look like it was meant to be readable.

#18 | Back to Top06-13-2007 07:06:01 PM

abraXas365
Ohtori Paramouri

Interesting to note is that Akio is referred to as (Lucifer) the Morning Star: literally Venus. Venus has an astrological influence on unions and friendships Akio certainly has a powerful influence on the interrelationship of almost all the players in SKU. Venus also deals with the indulgence of senses, arts, luxury and sensuality. Akio to a tee: temptation, paintings, fast cars and sex.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/abraxas365.gif

#19 | Back to Top06-13-2007 09:00:48 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Persephone wrote:

I feel sad, I like Nanami and all, but I wish I was in the same zodiac classification as Utena, Can you do Chinese Zodiac?

SKU isn't exactly Chinese Zodiac-friendly because it doesn't exist in a particular year.

And Akio as a Virgo? That's okay, I don't believe it either. If you'll look at my first post, you'll notice that Akio and Anthy share their signs with Saionji and Wakaba respectively. Also note that these signs are opposites on the Zodiac, analytical, grounded Virgo and intuitive, dreaming Pisces.

I think Akio can be a passable Virgo, but a lot of his sexuality is very not typical of Virgos, I think. Anthy can be a passable Pisces, but she lost that bit of idealism most Pisces have long ago.

Also note that the only two signs not represented in the series are Taurus and Scorpio. Scorpios are basically walking sex on a stick with a power coating.  What we don't see is that beneath that calmly confident surface is a crapload of pent-up emotion. Tauruses(Taurii?) strike me as very earthy, crunchy granola, hippie-like people...earth mothers, if you will.  Although if you delve a bit further, Taurus kind of behaves like Venus, where Libra is more like Aphrodite.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (06-13-2007 09:01:08 PM)

#20 | Back to Top06-13-2007 09:54:35 PM

abraXas365
Ohtori Paramouri

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Persephone wrote:

SKU isn't exactly Chinese Zodiac-friendly because it doesn't exist in a particular year.

You could use the sidereal Zodiac system that accounts for the earth's precession and aligns signs to their actual constellations rather than the tropical system (which we're most familiar with) which defines signs according to their relation to the vernal equinox.
This system is used in india, and given the apparent orogin of Akio and Anthy it would probably be more relevant to their Jyotiṣa heritage.

5-Apr to 15-May    Aries
16-May to 15-Jun  Taurus
16-Jun to 15-Jul    Gemini
16-Jul to 15-Aug   Cancer
16-Aug to 15-Sep  Leo
16-Sep to 15-Oct   Virgo
16-Oct to 15-Nov   Libra
16-Nov to 15-Dec  Scorpius
16-Dec to 14-Jan   Sagittarius
15-Jan to 14-Feb   Capricornus
15-Feb to 14-Mar   Aquarius
15-Mar to 14-Apr   Pisces

I'm not sure of the relevant birthdays, but it might be an interesting comparison to see SKU's cast mapped against this system, and for those of you out there who are unfamiliar with astrological alternatives to redefine yourself!

Last edited by abraXas365 (06-13-2007 09:56:15 PM)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/abraxas365.gif

#21 | Back to Top06-14-2007 01:29:45 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

According to their ages, if we figure out any chinese sing of they, we can guess the rest. Any volunteer?

#22 | Back to Top06-14-2007 09:38:57 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I just found the website I went to for the Blood Type vs. Zodiac page. But, it's Chinese. In any case, all I need now is the characters' blood type, so we might be able to see if their personality would make more sense...

#23 | Back to Top06-14-2007 10:35:10 AM

Wolfio
Miki Molester

These are all pulled from Empty Movement itself. ^_^'

Kanae is an Aries.
Blood Type: AB

Touga; Gemini
Blood Type: A

Miki; Gemini
Blood Type: O

Kozue; Gemini.

Tsuwabuki is a Cancer.

Nanami is a Leo.
Blood Type: B

Saionji is a Virgo, but may exhibit slight Leo tendencies.

Keiko is a Libra.

Juri ; Sagittarius

Mikage(Nemuro?) ; Sagittarius.

Utena is a Capricorn.

Ruka is an Aquarius, but may exhibit slight Capricorn tendencies. (I got Ruka's birthday from here.)
?
?

Shiori is an Aquarius.

Wakaba is a Pisces.

Anthy is a Pisces...allegedly.

Last edited by Wolfio (06-14-2007 10:35:31 AM)

#24 | Back to Top06-14-2007 11:39:20 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Okay, nvm... whatever I'm reading on this website, it kinda biased in the sense that it reveals almost the best in every blood type/zodiac... I don't think it's what I'm looking for. So far... I've looked up Akio, Saionji, and Shiori's... Not exactly what I had in mind.

Just looked up Akio's...
Um... basically it says that A type Virgo are extreme perfectionist, and anyone or anything attempting to "befoul" his sacredness will have their every inch of molecule being removed.
A type Virgo are very perceptive, which would explain the whole lecture to Utena during the Black Rose Arc...
The only thing I had problem with the analysis is... "Pure and kind, timid and cautious" <-WTF... I think this is more Dios than Akio...

Saionji... O type Virgo... "They can be straightforward, and most of them are romantic and pure when it comes to love, tending to give people the impression of a tough exterior, and is very critical of themselves as well as other people. They have a tendency of becoming obsessed with their own values and principles, giving people the idea that they're cold. And, doing so usually causes those around them to lose the chance of being happy." One thing that didn't match Saionji is when the description says that Saionji is supposed to be rational. Then again, I'm a Virgo, and I'm not all that rational either...

Shiori being B type Aquarius, the description I'm reading does not match her personality at all since it says that B type Aquarius does not want to be bound by the limits of wealth, fame, and position <-Really, now... emot-frown

Okay, maybe the idea of looking at their blood type wasn't the best idea, but at least it's worth a try...

#25 | Back to Top06-14-2007 11:47:40 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Some people might be flaky here and there, I mean I don't know much about blood type in combination with star sign, but wow, thats coooooommmmplicated. I also get the feeling they didn't think all THAT deeply about who would be what sign. But I just have to say..........

From self-sacrafice, to escapism, to the depths beneath the sweet smiling passive and absent surface, to the love of mythology and fairytales, to the enourmous sense of feminity, to being chameleon like, to being the oldest sign in the zodiac, to having that watery glass eye'd look, to having amazing duality. These are the traites associated with Pisces, so when I saw that they somehow managed to give a complicated character like Anthy Pisces, I was very proud of them. I think they got her bang on.

Board footer