This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-09-2013 02:46:15 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

LET'S MAKE SKU 8TRACKS MIXES

Was wondering if any of the people on the forum is on 8mixes(there are a lot of SKU mixes...a lot). Let's make and share SKU mixes together! emot-dance

I just spent an embarrassing amount of time thinking and curating a Touga mix. The songs progress with his growth in the series. May perhaps build one for Akio later. There's not nearly as many mixes for the male characters in the series--one for Saionji and one for Akio. For the female characters, there's ones for even the more obscure characters like Kozue and Kanae. MISANDRY. emot-tongue

http://8tracks.com/frau-eva/touga-kiryuu-mix

I've tried to add more after I've published it, but I'm just learning 8tracks ways, and it resists me. emot-mad I know "Flesh" by Simon Curtis is cliche in fandom for any sexiness, but if I can't apply this song to Touga or Akio, THEN IT APPLIES TO NO ONE. And can I just put, like, everything by Placebo and Panic at the Disco? Their entire ouvre is "I'm an androgynous sex-addicted trainwreck."

Hat Mafia Member

#2 | Back to Top11-10-2013 01:48:36 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Re: LET'S MAKE SKU 8TRACKS MIXES

Oh this sounds fun! I've had some of those moments when a song almost perfectly fits a character or general feel of the show ( it probably fits only in my head emot-gonk, but alas...). Sharing with others might even bring some good new music to our attention, who knows...and some fangirl/boying about your favorite show is always nice

Unfortunately, I don't have an account on the page, and I'm pretty clueless on how the whole thing works emot-frown

The absence of a Mikage mix upsets me greatly, though emot-mad You handsome devil by The Smiths fits paedo-Souji ( on the second tought it fits Akio too, and maybe Touga. And This charming man fits Akio too...or have I been listening to The Smiths too much lately? )

#3 | Back to Top11-10-2013 05:51:36 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Frau, is it possible for me to actually pull up a list of the songs on this playlist?  I also am still learning the ways of 8tracks -- I'm especially interested because it's been cited as a possible place to hold a digital Secret DJ next year -- and it sure would be nice if a listener could see what e's listening to more than one song at a time.

Edit: NM, I found the FAQ.  RTFM, satyr. emot-tongue  For those curious, the answer to my question is no, and you also can't make sure the songs on your playlist always play in the same order, and as a listener you can't skip more than a couple tracks forwards or any tracks backwards.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-10-2013 06:01:47 AM)

#4 | Back to Top11-10-2013 09:14:54 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Snow, I just created an account yesterday. I don't know jack. emot-tongue Although I have to say from my experiences that its pretty easy to learn(although it takes much longer than usual for some changes to take effect, like updating your published mix and other stuff). And I agree--the fact that there isn't a Mikage mix on there is a travesty. It needs to be remedied. poptart I'm also thinking about putting together a mix for the place of Ohtori itself, with stuff like "Tragic Kingdom" by No Doubt and "Hotel California."

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the fact that you only get the names of the songs as you listen to them. I also don't like that the mix description is limited to 500 characters. You don't understand me, 8tracks, I need to write an essay on how each song perfectly embodies the theme. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top11-10-2013 09:53:00 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I would've been interested in making a Mikage mix!  But all those restrictions are just too much for me.  I can only imagine using the 8tracks format for a large playlist of tunes, like 30+, whose order wasn't important and which listeners weren't expected to hear every song of -- just something to put on in the background.  It's a cool idea, but the poor website is stifled by the recording industry's continuing mortal terror of letting people listen to and discover music online.  emot-frown

#6 | Back to Top11-10-2013 06:46:41 PM

mistspinner
Ohtori Paramouri

Ah, so you guys are where all the spiffy new fanmixes have been popping up from, eh? Personally, I use 8tracks a lot for writing studying mix - it's really nice if you don't want to download your fanmixes - so I should probably get my butt on making one one of these days too. One day...

#7 | Back to Top11-12-2013 05:58:55 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Personally, I've always had my mix and others I've listened to played in the same order. emot-confused It may screw up now and then for all I know, but from my experience, it's always been pretty regular.

Come on Mistspinner, we need youuuuuuuuu

Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top11-20-2013 09:02:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I should probably just take the plunge here, I mentally make fanmixes all the time. It's on my list. cool

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#9 | Back to Top11-21-2013 06:16:56 PM

mistspinner
Ohtori Paramouri

When I get on winter break, proooobably
mostly because I love sharing my favorite music

So many essays to do now, so little time and sleep :/

#10 | Back to Top05-24-2014 09:15:19 PM

dereban
New Student
Website

Oddly enough, I was putting together an Utena/Anthy fanmix and found this thread! Here's my mix: http://8tracks.com/hatsuumi/what-s-goin … tiful-mind
I've also posted a tracklist here > http://hatsuumi.tumblr.com/post/86753891571 < on my tumblr.

#11 | Back to Top05-26-2014 12:20:25 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This sounds an awful lot like being a [Secret] DJ! emot-dance

satyr, the limit on how many you can skip and such does drive me batty. Are there any sites that do better this way?

I vaguely recall some sort of radio software being included on the site space. Now that the gallery issue seems to be resolved, maybe I'll dig it up and see what it was about. emot-biggrin Maybe get a secret IRG radio station going.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#12 | Back to Top05-26-2014 12:53:08 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

That does sound pretty awesome! emot-smile

I'm not aware of any mix sites that are better than 8tracks.  The whole business of streaming music online is an IP lawsuit magnet, which is why 8tracks has the dumb restrictions it does, and I don't think a site could do much better without having the resources to negotiate with a whole mess of record labels.  The best alternative I can think of is Google Drive, which won't stream the music but will let you download it.  I know DD will be distributing his Secret DJ mixes that way once China lets him log in and set the permissions correctly.  I'll be doing both: my digital partners will get a link to the 8tracks album, whose description will contain a link to the Google Drive compilation.

#13 | Back to Top05-26-2014 09:23:35 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Snow wrote:

The absence of a Mikage mix upsets me greatly, though emot-mad

Fixing now.

Fixed.

I used a melange of ages and a lot of classical and not-quite classical styles to give it a broad, timeless yet with some pieces from silent films to give it a sense of frozen time in spite of the more modern scores and songs.

The juxtaposition of modern music with the barren promise of Seasons of Wither, the threat of Seven Devils and the angry addiction of You're Not Here clashes purposefully with the illusionary dreams of Metropolis and Frankenstein's denied wedding. The madness, too and the descent and regression of his elevator is present in the fluttery tones of an aria and the filtered orchestra of Kajiura Yuki.

It opens with the eerie classical rendition of Law, closing with the fight (and denial) of his dream of frozen time, Norn Boss Theme.

Last edited by Anthiena (05-26-2014 11:57:41 AM)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#14 | Back to Top05-26-2014 10:49:52 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Fixed

Yes.

YES bless your kind heart!!!!

3 songs in, all are spot-on etc-love

#15 | Back to Top05-26-2014 02:31:38 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Glad you liked it! I was a little nervous about including the SMT pieces!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#16 | Back to Top05-27-2014 09:55:59 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

I ended up making a mix a year ago about the Shadow Girls. A good chunk of the songs I used aren't on my computer anymore, but this became a bit of a time capsule of my musical taste a while ago. Here it is!

Board footer