This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-22-2011 02:49:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: RoseCon '12: Seattle Contemplation Station

As a rule, aside from the big dinner we do, everything is on the cheap. The flight into Seattle we can't really do balls about, but once you're there you'll have a lot of choices of lodging. Yasha and I will probably have to room with folks (maybe the ones we bring), to keep costs down. The penny pinching down to the wire will be done, so trust me on that. In the meantime we have to figure out the where and when, since that has implications for the price of things as well. (If we do the second week I believe we're missing the major convention events, which is actually a mark in our favor for saving money.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#52 | Back to Top11-22-2011 05:11:07 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Right now, I'm planning on being out west at the end of July for my Grams birthday; it's a family obligation, and I can't break it. If plans change, then maybe, but I doubt they will. :/ I can't get that much time off work if it's any later in the month, and I can't afford two trips out west in a thirty day period.

Go with what works best for the most number of people, and if the plans DO change, I'll definitely make every effort. But I'm gonna have to bow in that case.

But tell you what, I'll go to Seattle anyway, and take pictures and y'all can photoshop me into the group ones. emot-biggrin

Last edited by MissMocha (11-22-2011 05:11:39 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#53 | Back to Top11-22-2011 05:17:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

MissMocha wrote:

Right now, I'm planning on being out west at the end of July for my Grams birthday; it's a family obligation, and I can't break it. If plans change, then maybe, but I doubt they will. :/ I can't get that much time off work if it's any later in the month, and I can't afford two trips out west in a thirty day period.

Oops, I misinterpreted your earlier post.  Fixed!

I hope RoseCon works out for you out one way or another, but if it doesn't, maybe we can make an excuse to visit another time emot-smile  We live close enough!

#54 | Back to Top11-22-2011 05:42:32 PM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Huh. I'm originally from Tacoma so it makes me smile to see you guys doing it in my home state.

I dunno if anyone's mentioned it, but Point Defiance is another thing I'd suggest hitting up. It's about 30-40 minutes from Seattle in Tacoma but it's worth it. It's a beautiful, huge state park right on the Pudget Sound with a Zoo and nature trails and a Rose Garden (yeeeep) and raccoons that sit on the side of the road like hobos begging for food. And more.

#55 | Back to Top11-22-2011 06:47:58 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Oh faaaaaahuck yeah.

Count me in as another attendee, provided work doesn't interfere. I anticipate reaping blackmail upon you all - ESPECIALLY YOU BELLA (selected at random). Gio and Yasha, I now swear that I will personally drink both of you under the table. Speaking of which! Here are some of my recommendations for adult-themed fun around town:

Tap House Grill: Great selection of 160 beers, including bitching Pacific Northwest microbrews that help us all deal with our raging SAD disorders. Also seriously tasty.

Dimitrou's Jazz Alley: Relieve your NOLA eargasms here. Really chill club with a great ambiance and fantastic music.

Trinity Nightclub: Pricey and a bit snooty, but worth it. Really trippy place (shitfaced or not), mainly due to the massive dance floor constructed out of an old church, an Asian-themed card room with set pieces from the 1962 world fair, and a disco room fit for Austin Powers. I blew my money like Akio through his mother in-law's bank account.

Last edited by Katzenklavier (11-22-2011 06:48:55 PM)

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#56 | Back to Top11-22-2011 06:52:53 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Dimitrou's Jazz Alley: Relieve your NOLA eargasms here. Really chill club with a great ambiance and fantastic music.

I don't think I heard any jazz the whole time we were in NOLA.  The French Quarter had lots of raucous bars and dance floors and such, but they were all blasting rock and techno and that one CD that the FBI uses to drive terror suspects out of hiding.  We were told that the jazz was all in another part of town, to the extent it still existed.  So this should be: Relive what you expected the New Orleans music scene would be like!  I'm in favor emot-smile

#57 | Back to Top11-22-2011 07:10:32 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Gio and Yasha, I now swear that I will personally drink both of you under the table.

You are so in trouble now.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#58 | Back to Top11-22-2011 08:50:23 PM

Katzenklavier

satyreyes: We were told that the jazz was all in another part of town, to the extent it still existed.

That is pure unfiltered SHITE. I heard some badass freestyle jazz at Fritzel's European Pub, but I had to go way off Bourbon to find the places where you could swing. So. How sad is it that you'll have to get your fix in hipster Seattle, as opposed to the historical home?

Giovanna:You are so in trouble now.

Betch, I've out-chugged fratboys and Irish village drunks. I bleed jager bombs. Bring. It.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#59 | Back to Top11-22-2011 11:45:44 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Betch, I've out-chugged fratboys and Irish village drunks. I bleed jager bombs. Bring. It.

...yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, so now I want to come just to witness Teh Epic for myself.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#60 | Back to Top11-22-2011 11:54:38 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Giovanna wrote:

As a rule, aside from the big dinner we do, everything is on the cheap. The flight into Seattle we can't really do balls about, but once you're there you'll have a lot of choices of lodging. Yasha and I will probably have to room with folks (maybe the ones we bring), to keep costs down. The penny pinching down to the wire will be done, so trust me on that. In the meantime we have to figure out the where and when, since that has implications for the price of things as well. (If we do the second week I believe we're missing the major convention events, which is actually a mark in our favor for saving money.)

I'm all about roomies to keep costs down, so let me know if you need an additional one.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#61 | Back to Top11-23-2011 01:52:43 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Clarice wrote:

Katzenklavier wrote:

...yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, so now I want to come just to witness Teh Epic for myself.

I too am interested in seeing how this turns out...

I probably won't be too big on the booze myself. Even though I'll be legally able to drink by next August, beer and I just don't get along... I've found that the only way I can handle alcohol is through mixed drinks, and even then only so long as they aptly conceal the taste of the primary intoxicant (Also, I have the most hardcore immune system on the face of the earth. It adapts by using my taste buds against me, making it impossible for me to have the same drink on more than one occasion. The first time I like it, but if I try to drink the same stuff again at a later date it tastes significantly worse. Ridiculous, is it not? :\)

Edit: Btw, I wouldn't mind being a part of some manner of carpooling with whoever. If you happen to be driving through Oregon and have an empty seat, please let me know!

Last edited by Chrome Homura (11-23-2011 02:20:47 AM)

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#62 | Back to Top11-23-2011 02:27:21 PM

Katzenklavier

Clarice wrote:

Don't worry. I'm sure to take lots and lots of self-incriminating pictures. But really, you should be there to see it yourself. Plus, with my tat and your Lecterbait, it would be a most merrily creepy meeting.

Chrome Homura wrote:

Btw, I wouldn't mind being a part of some manner of carpooling with whoever. If you happen to be driving through Oregon and have an empty seat, please let me know!

Uh, so it's probably not best to mention right after bragging about my liver's suicide, but I'll be driving up from Portland and will probs have free seats. No fears - I only very rarely kill anyone.

#63 | Back to Top11-23-2011 04:02:20 PM

Chrome Homura

Katzenklavier wrote:

Chrome Homura wrote:

Btw, I wouldn't mind being a part of some manner of carpooling with whoever. If you happen to be driving through Oregon and have an empty seat, please let me know!

Uh, so it's probably not best to mention right after bragging about my liver's suicide, but I'll be driving up from Portland and will probs have free seats. No fears - I only very rarely kill anyone.

Hmm... open up some space in your inbox so I can message you, then T_T

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#64 | Back to Top11-25-2011 07:19:50 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I'm a firm "yes."  Looking forward to seeing all of you again :-)

I have a tentative +1.  No real ability to project that far forward.  But, my gut says I'll probably be traveling solo this time.

Please put me on the general list, if there is one, of people looking to link up with others to share a room.

This will be my first time on the West Coast--really excited!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#65 | Back to Top11-25-2011 11:02:28 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

I'm a firm "yes."  Looking forward to seeing all of you again :-)

I have a tentative +1.  No real ability to project that far forward.  But, my gut says I'll probably be traveling solo this time.

Please put me on the general list, if there is one, of people looking to link up with others to share a room.

This will be my first time on the West Coast--really excited!

YAY! *HUGS*

I'm so happy to see so many of my RoseCon friends appearing again!

Both Mercurynin and Rhyaniwyn???? SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#66 | Back to Top11-25-2011 10:14:32 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

BioKraze wrote:

CausalityStar wrote:

stuff that puts ideas in Bio's head

CausalityStar, where in Arizona do you live? I think you mentioned it once before and I just derped and forgot. If your route would be taking you along the Interstate 8, we could perhaps work something out. emot-keke I don't have a job either, but I do receive money every month (it's complicated) that I plan on putting away for this RoseCon.

PM me or Email me if you're interested in this sort of thing! emot-dance

I live in Flagstaff most of the year because I go to school there, but during August and the rest of the summer, I live in Tucson. That's because my parents live there and I just go home in the summer to mooch off of them. I'd like to try to get a job this summer so I can go, but even then transportation may be an issue because I'm not sure if my dad would loan me the car to drive to Seattle.

I did mention this convention to my dad and he said that while going to Seattle would be interesting; he'd prefer just to go on a motorcycle trip along the coast and miss out on the convention. But if he decides to go to Seattle next year, that doesn't mean he can't just drop me off at the Rose Con event.

#67 | Back to Top11-26-2011 04:17:05 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

I don't quite know you all, but I'm still pumped to attend.  Please feel free to torture me and or vandalize my belongings, possibly seduce me into questionable instances of psychological battery for my naïveté.  Murder will not be tolerated, however, as I don't know how I'll possibly learn my lesson in that case.

To the dreary Northwest!  If there's drinking involved, I'm there.

#68 | Back to Top11-26-2011 07:04:09 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

KaleMarsh wrote:

...dreary? I thought there were sparkles. DAMMIT THEY TOLD ME THERE WERE SPARKLIES.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#69 | Back to Top11-26-2011 09:09:50 PM

Chrome Homura

Clarice wrote:

KaleMarsh wrote:

...dreary? I thought there were sparkles. DAMMIT THEY TOLD ME THERE WERE SPARKLIES.

...We're sorry, that's actually a myth spread by unfortunates, who have been led astray by a certain author responsible for a certain series of books involving certain mythological beings being portrayed in a highly distasteful manner.

There's nothing sparkly about the Pacific Northwest, I swear.

#70 | Back to Top11-27-2011 12:00:41 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh, I beg to differ.  I've visited the Northwest in summer, and it sparkles.  Sometimes literally.  I watched the sun set from the top of a high hill in Waldport, Oregon, and the river running through the town turned into a sheet of light.  Best sunset I've ever seen, and I live in Florida.

Seattle didn't sparkle when I was there, but it at least had a healthy glow.  The kind that a vampire doesn't have, because vampires are dead and pallid and cannot glow or sparkle.

ETA: Oops, I forgot -- I actually watched the Fourth of July fireworks show over Lake Union that year, and they were fantastic, so I guess Seattle did sparkle after all. etc-love

Last edited by satyreyes (11-27-2011 12:42:52 AM)

#71 | Back to Top11-27-2011 12:29:31 AM

Katzenklavier

Chrome Homura wrote:

There's nothing sparkly about the Pacific Northwest, I swear.

Spend more time on Portland's Stark Street. San Francisco can suck my fag hag.

satyreyes wrote:

I watched the sun set from the top of a high hill in Waldport, Oregon

I gotta say, for all of our raging bouts of serial killing, at least we have one really fucking gorgeous coastline. And nothing beats Puget Sound in WA. If people have the means, there should totes be a coastal trip.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/wellworm/WEB_2008RobertDemarPhotography_SanJuanIslands_101.jpg

Convinced yet?

#72 | Back to Top11-27-2011 01:25:57 AM

Chrome Homura

Lies! Lies I tell you!

#73 | Back to Top11-27-2011 02:11:59 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

The host family I stayed with in Tacoma were right down on the edge of Puget...I must say, it really was gorgeous. emot-dance

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#74 | Back to Top11-27-2011 06:22:51 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

At least in August, the weather will only sweat us out.  Steam rolled in humidity.  Or maybe that's just Oregon.

Leave it to me to turn drinking and debauchery into a conversation about the weather.

#75 | Back to Top11-27-2011 06:30:02 PM

Katzenklavier

KaleMarsh wrote:

Leave it to me to turn drinking and debauchery into a conversation about the weather.

It's rainier here than a drunken Utena's virginal loins.

You're welcome.

Board footer