This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-25-2014 02:06:38 PM

zevrem
Banned

ITT we list obvious inspirations for SKU

The most obvious inspiration to me is Rebel Without a Cause featuring James Dean. Just... just watch it. I was going to post a bunch of pictures "proving" it but that would have involved hunting down like 15 of them.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#2 | Back to Top07-25-2014 10:19:53 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Re: ITT we list obvious inspirations for SKU

Rose of Versailles, to get that one out of the way.

#3 | Back to Top07-26-2014 06:20:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Peter Pan. Ohtori Academy is Neverneverland with exams and cars.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top07-26-2014 07:04:15 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Since more than one of the core staff have talked about David Lynch, I'm going to say Fire Walk With Me, to a strong degree.

Also, naturally, Sailor Moon was a big influence in both a "let's have this" direction and in terms of elements they consciously detourned or avoided.

Labyrinth? We know Ikuhara is a fan and well, echoes and commonalities abound.

Hesse's Demian, on several fronts, but blatantly with the egg speech.

zevrem wrote:

The most obvious inspiration to me is Rebel Without a Cause featuring James Dean. Just... just watch it. I was going to post a bunch of pictures "proving" it but that would have involved hunting down like 15 of them.

I'm intrigued. Would you mind "proving" it?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top07-26-2014 08:07:08 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Do visual motifs and architectural inspirations count?
If so (and if it was mentioned before, sorry), the never erected Tatlin Tower looks like a pretty likely inspiration for the duel arena ascension system.
And from the linked article: 'There were also plans to install a gigantic open-air screen on the cylinder, and a further projector which would be able to cast messages across the clouds on any overcast day.'
Something similar to the planetarium projector maybe (I know it was actually in Akio's tower, but in the end it is left rather unclear what is actually real, and what a mirage)?

#6 | Back to Top07-26-2014 10:30:10 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Urusei Yatsura seems to be a source of some of that random and whacky humor. Nanami's Cowbell or Anthy's curry spice episodes do come to mind.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#7 | Back to Top07-26-2014 11:46:27 AM

zevrem
Banned

http://www.willcwhite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/rebelscreen.jpg

http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files/images/jamesdean-rebel.jpg

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5qnwc7dqq1qzdvhio1_500.jpg

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/r/RebelWithoutACause_GriffithObservatory.jpg

http://www.concierge.com/images/destinations/destinationguide/usa+canada/usa/california/losangeles/losangeles/losangeles_011p.jpg

The similarities run a lot deeper than what even these images can show. Just watch the movie.

Last edited by zevrem (07-26-2014 11:57:31 AM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#8 | Back to Top07-26-2014 12:07:57 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I've seen it. More than once. I was just curious what points you were thinking of as obvious/direct inspiration (the observatory leapt to mind, but even that's circumstantial afaik.)

Similarities I can definitely get behind. Obvious inspiration... I can see it, I just can't see evidence for it. If that makes sense.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#9 | Back to Top07-26-2014 12:52:09 PM

zevrem
Banned

Duel with blades.

Two drag racing cars representing "life on the edge."

Also, the Planetarium hosts a show about the End of the Universe.

And the director at one point said straight out that the movie was about "finding the father."

One of the centerpieces is a hollowed-out mansion not unlike the one that Anthy and Utena move into in episode 2.

Plus, this movie basically invented the trope of a teenager coming to a new school and fighting for acceptance. Also there's a girlfriend who might be unreliable and might be loyal. And there's a same-sex friend disdained by everyone but the popular but unpopular protagonist who looks up to him/her.

Last edited by zevrem (07-26-2014 01:12:48 PM)

#10 | Back to Top07-26-2014 01:38:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The excellent Oniisama e is the first anime I'm aware of to use a high school context to discuss Serious Issues.  You'd have to stretch to "map" Oniisama e characters onto SKU characters, but SKU owes much to the idea that a high school show is allowed to fuck with your head.  SKU took important surface elements from BeruBara -- roses, French, the word "revolution," and a woman who wears men's clothes -- but it owes more thematically to Oniisama e.  Both shows were probably prerequisites for SKU's existence.
elements of oniisama e not ported into sku: idea that main characters do not have to be a ten out of ten

#11 | Back to Top07-29-2014 09:48:48 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Does anyone know if anyone on Utena has ever mentioned Fairy Florence/A Journey Through Fairyland? Visually there are quite a few similarities, but it was also part of the endgame of that era's elegant school romance stories in Japan. Shots framed by roses, beautiful watering moments, pretty and very light and delicate school architecture, loneliness and sexuality and fitting in. Fairytale sensibility.

#12 | Back to Top07-30-2014 06:14:47 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

The entire series is basically a magical girl-tinged retelling of "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas".

Board footer