This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-27-2017 10:44:28 AM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Re: New Manga Chapter!!

RoseandRelease wrote:

So, is the magazine itself out now?

Yep, it's the 28th in Japan now, so the magazine's just been released there. Also, the Flowers homepage (http://flowers.shogakukan.co.jp/) shows that the magazine cover isn't the only new piece of colour SKU art from Saito. emot-smile

Besides the new chapter and the interview with Saito and Ikuhara, it should also be interesting to see the early character designs for Utena and Anthy that the natalie.mu article mentioned. Based on the one sample they posted, I'm guessing they're from before SKU's concept had been finalised?

#52 | Back to Top07-27-2017 11:42:54 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Though it hasn't appeared in my email yet, my credit card is already being billed for my copy, so I'm expecting to get mine pretty soon.

If it is going to be installments, obviously I will be happy to be the ongoing resource for people. They're not too expensive if you're buying them at publish instead of aftermarket.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#53 | Back to Top07-27-2017 12:15:12 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

MikoGalatea wrote:

RoseandRelease wrote:

So, is the magazine itself out now?

Yep, it's the 28th in Japan now, so the magazine's just been released there. Also, the Flowers homepage (http://flowers.shogakukan.co.jp/) shows that the magazine cover isn't the only new piece of colour SKU art from Saito. emot-smile

Besides the new chapter and the interview with Saito and Ikuhara, it should also be interesting to see the early character designs for Utena and Anthy that the natalie.mu article mentioned. Based on the one sample they posted, I'm guessing they're from before SKU's concept had been finalised?

Waaaaah!!!  So gorgeous!  I need to save a copy but it only wants to save the web page!etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Giovanna wrote:

Though it hasn't appeared in my email yet, my credit card is already being billed for my copy, so I'm expecting to get mine pretty soon.

If it is going to be installments, obviously I will be happy to be the ongoing resource for people. They're not too expensive if you're buying them at publish instead of aftermarket.

You are an incredible person!!!  So many thanks!!!

NEW UTENA etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

I love the etc-jurishlick and how she is hiding her face. emot-rofl

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (07-27-2017 12:16:50 PM)

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#54 | Back to Top07-27-2017 01:28:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#55 | Back to Top07-27-2017 01:57:49 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-27/revolutionary-girl-utena-gets-another-new-manga-chapter-this-winter/.119386

"The first new chapter, titled "ShÅ jo Kakumei Utena After the Revolution," ran in the September issue of Flowers on Friday. The story takes place at Ohtori Academy after the end of the original manga's final chapter, when a certain person visits the school."

YESSSS A continuation!!!!!!!

This means we have a shot at more anime as well!!!etc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlick

#56 | Back to Top07-27-2017 03:35:21 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

That is so nice to hear! I will continue to purchase the relevant Flowers issues, and will eventually obtain the compilation volume that I expect - i.e., hope - will be released in the future.

I wonder how much Utena will change now that it is being published in a Josei magazine… What can we expect - more depth? More fanservice? More Chu-Chu? emot-tongue

Also, I thought you guys might want to see this:
http://flowers.shogakukan.co.jp/magazine/images/work1Sp.jpg
This delightful image will be part of the Chiho Saito art exhibition that was announced earlier today, alongside various images from the Adolescence of Utena manga, the SKU manga, and other Saito classics. Informally, this exhibition shall be called "Utena and Saito throughout the Ages." emot-keke

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#57 | Back to Top07-28-2017 08:50:17 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

DorianGray345 wrote:

That is so nice to hear! I will continue to purchase the relevant Flowers issues, and will eventually obtain the compilation volume that I expect - i.e., hope - will be released in the future.

I wonder how much Utena will change now that it is being published in a Josei magazine… What can we expect - more depth? More fanservice? More Chu-Chu? emot-tongue

Also, I thought you guys might want to see this:
http://flowers.shogakukan.co.jp/magazin … ork1Sp.jpg
This delightful image will be part of the Chiho Saito art exhibition that was announced earlier today, alongside various images from the Adolescence of Utena manga, the SKU manga, and other Saito classics. Informally, this exhibition shall be called "Utena and Saito throughout the Ages." emot-keke

Thank you for the full pic! 

Note of Interest:  Utena is not wearing a duelist ring.

#58 | Back to Top07-28-2017 10:11:15 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

Note of Interest:  Utena is not wearing a duelist ring.

Thanks for pointing that out! I just noticed that the Duelist ring is also absent on the cover art, which symbolizes a menagerie of things, such as the following:
- The new chapter takes place after the conclusion of the original Utena manga, information that has already been confirmed by various news outlets;
- Utena is no longer under Akio's influence, and, most importantly
- Utena has escaped her coffin, both literally and figuratively.

Note, however, that Anthy is wearing her Rose Bride outfit, despite the fact that she was wearing an Utena-inspired outfit at the conclusion of the manga. I don't think that this is a simple mistake on Saito's part... What, then, does this mean? Does this indicate that Anthy is still the Rose Bride and, consequently, remains a part of the games, in spite of [Akio's "death"] at the manga's conclusion?

How - and why - did this come to pass? The last time we saw manga!Anthy, she was leaving Ohtori in order to find Utena, just like she did in the anime. Why, then, is she still at Ohtori? Did she give up on her search for Utena, and, consequently, returned to the very place that she loathed the most? Or is this merely a method to bait Utena, whose arrival would not only bring great joy to Anthy [and Touga], but may, perhaps, precipitate Saionji, Juri, and Miki's escape from their own coffins?

Whatever the case, we can expect that the answer will come in due time! emot-keke

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#59 | Back to Top07-28-2017 12:02:45 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Or, y'know, that particular drawing isn't really related.

Here's a bigger question: who's that girl on the cover who isn't Utena?

Is it an older Utena? Aunt Yurika? ...Chigusa?

im a shadow play girl irl

#60 | Back to Top07-28-2017 01:04:19 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Arale wrote:

Here's a bigger question: who's that girl on the cover who isn't Utena?

Chiho Saito's adaptation of Torikaebaya is also published in this magazine, and based on the character's old-timey hairstyle, he/she is probably not on the cover to represent SKU.

Hi folks, I'm excited enough about this that I stopped lurking/slacking but I'll get back to it now probably.

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#61 | Back to Top07-28-2017 09:05:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Right-o, so I should have the manga early next week, so by weekend it should be ready for any translation projects incoming. emot-smile

Please get the word out ASAP on further installments and where, and I'll try to keep on top of it through Amazon.

#62 | Back to Top07-29-2017 04:50:04 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

HEY YOU KNOW HOW MY SIG HAS FOR YEARS REFERRED TO A SUIT FETISH

THIS IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER IN THE COMING DAYS AHEAD

COMING

..... COMINGSDISBSKXB

#63 | Back to Top07-30-2017 07:21:17 PM

pagetheplush
Juri Jeerer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-27/revolutionary-girl-utena-gets-another-new-manga-chapter-this-winter/.119386

"The first new chapter, titled "Sh� jo Kakumei Utena After the Revolution," ran in the September issue of Flowers on Friday. The story takes place at Ohtori Academy after the end of the original manga's final chapter, when a certain person visits the school."

YESSSS A continuation!!!!!!!

This means we have a shot at more anime as well!!!etc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlick

Although I'm iffy about sequels sometimes, I'd be a liar if I said I read that and didn't instantly think "MY BODY IS READY etc-saiowanketc-jurishlicketc-saiowanketc-jurishlick" with white hot intensity.

🌹Let's become like rose petals, blowing free!🌹

#64 | Back to Top07-31-2017 06:18:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

tbh

I would approach any new anime with extreme caution. But uh...as an Akio fan, I think I have every right to be very concerned about anything outside the series. emot-rolleyes

#65 | Back to Top08-01-2017 06:43:25 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

I just got the manga boxset for my birthday a few days ago, so I better catch up! The only piece of Utena-media I've consumed is the anime.

I agree with Gio, I think it'd be very hard to add onto the anime, after the kind of ending it had, and not mess it up.

Last edited by sailor-anthy (08-01-2017 06:46:42 AM)

This binch be postin' once every century

#66 | Back to Top08-01-2017 07:33:45 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Small tangent, and I may need to place it else where, which I can if need be:

From a psychological prospective and thematically speaking, it would make sense for there to be a duel called "After Revolution" (the name of the new chapter just in case someone didn't know).

The big end of the series was Anthy had to save herself.  Utena could be supportive, and show her a better lit path, but Anthy had to step out of that coffin and choose to live.  So to me, the fight doesn't end just because she made it out of the coffin.  There would still be more "duels" (challenges that will force you to adapt, thus change [hopefully for the better]).

So this new story sounds like, and I'm thinking maybe, the consequences of Revolution, something very hot in the world right now and I'm sure Ikuhara couldn't resist making commentary on.  What becomes of the revolutionary after The Revolution? How does the world make sense of the things that have happened? 

How they will address these ideas I have no idea, but I am super excited to see if they go down that path. emot-dance

#67 | Back to Top08-01-2017 09:14:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I can't read Japanese so I can't speak to how accurate your views are for them, but I really like the idea. Utena has this idea about it that a huge boundary separates maturity from not, when it's a gradient.

As far as the new manga, I will be scanning it and have it up for translators within a day or two. What I will say is this!

If you asked me what would be Giovanna fanservice, I'd tell you I wanted Akio, Touga, and Saionji, that I want there to be suits/men dressing good, and gratuitous sex.

I got two of those things, and it's the two I expected the least.

A lot of fans are uh.. Not going to be as happy about it. The only female with any dialogue is random Touga arm candy for like one page. Utena and Anthy appear but plainly as memories or some shit and I don't think they even speak. There is literally no one else from the cast.

It is drawn much more maturely and with very little kawaii shit, her style has cleaned up and I dare say vastly improved. It looks a lot more like something aimed at young adults, which follows since its for the same crowd that would have been the shoujo audience 20 years ago.

Also it draws much more from the aesthetic of the series than her own original manga. Akio is drawn with lots of flowing white hair when it's down. The school and tower look more like the series, and a few visuals are lifted directly from the show instead of her work, such as Akio’s car  backlighting a duelist, and Touga and Saionji's flashback to finding Utena in a coffin.

No idea what everyone is saying yet but uh it's pretty much a win for me, which I honestly didn't expect. I'm not sure how it'll go over with other fans that were waiting for Utena and Anthy post Ohtori. If she does continue on with this I'm sure they'll show up, but for this story at least, it's clearly Touga and Saionji.

#68 | Back to Top08-01-2017 09:30:20 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I can't read Japanese so I can't speak to how accurate your views are for them, but I really like the idea. Utena has this idea about it that a huge boundary separates maturity from not, when it's a gradient.

As far as the new manga, I will be scanning it and have it up for translators within a day or two. What I will say is this!

If you asked me what would be Giovanna fanservice, I'd tell you I wanted Akio, Touga, and Saionji, that I want there to be suits/men dressing good, and gratuitous sex.

I got two of those things, and it's the two I expected the least.

A lot of fans are uh.. Not going to be as happy about it. The only female with any dialogue is random Touga arm candy for like one page. Utena and Anthy appear but plainly as memories or some shit and I don't think they even speak. There is literally no one else from the cast.

It is drawn much more maturely and with very little kawaii shit, her style has cleaned up and I dare say vastly improved. It looks a lot more like something aimed at young adults, which follows since its for the same crowd that would have been the shoujo audience 20 years ago.

Also it draws much more from the aesthetic of the series than her own original manga. Akio is drawn with lots of flowing white hair when it's down. The school and tower look more like the series, and a few visuals are lifted directly from the show instead of her work, such as Akio’s car  backlighting a duelist, and Touga and Saionji's flashback to finding Utena in a coffin.

No idea what everyone is saying yet but uh it's pretty much a win for me, which I honestly didn't expect. I'm not sure how it'll go over with other fans that were waiting for Utena and Anthy post Ohtori. If she does continue on with this I'm sure they'll show up, but for this story at least, it's clearly Touga and Saionji.

etc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlick
ANTICI....PATION... killing me! 

I am officially in a fever pitch to read this.

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (08-01-2017 10:06:51 AM)

#69 | Back to Top08-01-2017 09:42:46 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

So to me, the fight doesn't end just because she made it out of the coffin.  There would still be more "duels" (challenges that will force you to adapt, thus change [hopefully for the better]).

To me that's what the movie always was? The series is about Anthy leaving Akio, but in the movie, Anthy has to confront Akio after he's dead. The challenge of one's memories that one has to face even after abuse.

Giovanna wrote:

Also it draws much more from the aesthetic of the series than her own original manga.

This kinda confirms what I thought; that this wasn't a "sequel to the manga", it's just a general continuation. The specifics of the ending to Utena the manga or Utena the show or Utena the whatever are probably not going to matter to this as much as what "the revolution" archetypally means as an ending.

As for the plot... I would probably be really disappointed if that was the only chapter we got, so I'm glad that it's already been announced that there's going to be at least one more. Because of that, I can enjoy this too.

im a shadow play girl irl

#70 | Back to Top08-01-2017 11:08:02 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Arale wrote:

So to me, the fight doesn't end just because she made it out of the coffin.  There would still be more "duels" (challenges that will force you to adapt, thus change [hopefully for the better]).

To me that's what the movie always was? The series is about Anthy leaving Akio, but in the movie, Anthy has to confront Akio after he's dead. The challenge of one's memories that one has to face even after abuse.

Giovanna wrote:

Also it draws much more from the aesthetic of the series than her own original manga.

This kinda confirms what I thought; that this wasn't a "sequel to the manga", it's just a general continuation. The specifics of the ending to Utena the manga or Utena the show or Utena the whatever are probably not going to matter to this as much as what "the revolution" archetypally means as an ending.

As for the plot... I would probably be really disappointed if that was the only chapter we got, so I'm glad that it's already been announced that there's going to be at least one more. Because of that, I can enjoy this too.

I had never considered looking at the end of the movie like that.  It was my first foray into Utena (I think the movie was released in the US when I was still in junior high?).  It wasn't until after the complete series was released that I could fully enjoy (and understand things like that damn yellow cow) the movie.

I was thinking though more of what happened to Utena after the revolution rather than Anthy.  Its more about Ikuhara's love for the PWOG (PWAG? gah I can't remember the name of the movement) where they were trying to find an identity after being dominated by another culture.

And I'm glad its nebulous as to what continuity it belongs to  (a statement I'm sure to regret).  I'm approaching this from a "Tenchi Muyo" stand point where everything was it's own continuity.  Utena meets String Theory.  I'm ok with this as it allows for more stories without ruining what we love and has been established.  It's probably the best way to do this tbh.

#71 | Back to Top08-01-2017 11:15:10 AM

moo92
Miki Molester

The new manga chapter is here yoooo! emot-dance

Hype aside, I'm very interested to see what the story (how ever short) will be like here. I personally have mixed feelings on how the manga went, for example a lot of the Student Council (except for Touga) ended up having little character development in the original manga story so its like ok what now? But, I excited nonetheless! Quick impressions from what I've seen, looks like the long haired trash sons have returned! And actual living garbage dump man Akio lol And they are as pretty as ever! I do like Miss Saito's art style and it looks even better now! Hm, but no Utena or Anthy yet I hear? Interesting. Welp, gotta wait for translations. Idk whats going on here lol. school-sherlock

Side note: I wondered this when this was announced but does this mean that a remake/reboot is on the way? I mean, this is a way to advertise such a thing and get new people interested to watch and get fans reinvested. Or it's just for the 20th anni, but then again the reboot thing could also come out for that. Hm...thats a totally different topic for discussion though. *Considering creating a discussion thread intensifies*

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2f1ea1a26343f1419a337b8b075fbd0/tumblr_ou0nssB9Uh1qirhlao1_400.png

#72 | Back to Top08-01-2017 11:17:04 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey, our copy of the manga came yesterday and I can confirm that yes, it is full of trash sons. More to come soon, I'm trying to see if there's interest in translating it...

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#73 | Back to Top08-01-2017 11:24:03 AM

moo92
Miki Molester

Yasha wrote:

Hey, our copy of the manga came yesterday and I can confirm that yes, it is full of trash sons. More to come soon, I'm trying to see if there's interest in translating it...

So basically this manga chapter is this image:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/8ea42fa6857713f4312c01fbaec58aeb/tumblr_nzvqhsmMEL1roxonqo1_500.jpg

Source

Last edited by moo92 (08-01-2017 11:24:41 AM)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/e2f1ea1a26343f1419a337b8b075fbd0/tumblr_ou0nssB9Uh1qirhlao1_400.png

#74 | Back to Top08-01-2017 11:41:22 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

I'm definitely interested in trying to translate it. I've never been able to translate manga before, so no guarantees, but I'll certainly do my best.

#75 | Back to Top08-01-2017 12:06:57 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

At Times, Love Is wrote:

I'm definitely interested in trying to translate it. I've never been able to translate manga before, so no guarantees, but I'll certainly do my best.

Same here.  I have two years of Japanese under my belt, a sinfully easy job, and translation software to help with the complicated kanji.  I would be honored and super thrilled to help TL!

Board footer