This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top06-24-2007 11:34:12 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Clusterf**k to the White House: The Thread

Hinotori wrote:

I think the reason why people care so much about people who aren't straight white protestant males getting into office is because it's such a big benchmark for progress, in theory. It's definitely not something that could've happened 50 years ago at least. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing it as actual progress if the candidate is just being elected because they're half black or female.

In today's ultra-competitive political environment, I think it's unlikely Obama or Hillary will get a lot of votes just for being half-black or female.  They'll get a lot of votes just for being Democrats; they'll get a lot of votes just for not being Republicans; they might possibly lose a lot of votes just for being half-black or female (especially Obama); but on net, I don't think their "traditionally disadvantaged" status is a selling point for them.  If the Republican seems like he'd make a better president, the fact that Hillary is a woman isn't going to push a lot of people onto Hillary's side of the fence.

Hinotori wrote:

I think Guiliani's just trying to look as moderate as he possibly can for all the Democrats who won't vote for Hillary no matter what. I've met a depressing amount of those in these parts.

Definitely a possibility, but if I were Giuliani, I would save the moderate posturing for after the primary.  Right now, getting the Republican nomination is a huge obstacle for Giuliani because he appears socially liberal, and primary voters on average represent the extreme elements of their party.  It says a lot about how weak McCain and Romney are that Giuliani is considered the front-runner by some analysts.  I'm tempted to say that Giuliani is more or less what he appears to be -- for better or for worse.

Stormcrow wrote:

Satyr, you pose an interesting question. I would say that free speech doesn't obligate you to talk about anything you don't think is important. We also have the right to stay silent, if we're not subpoenaed. Holy shit, I spelled subpoenaed right on the first try, yay me! Anyway, it's not undemocratic to avoid certain subjects, or even to ask others to do the same, as long as it's not the government saying so. As for who decides what the issues are, I'd say that that's you. That's how it's supposed to work anyway.

Well... yes.  But wouldn't even a voluntary ban on talking about people's religion potentially stymie valuable debate?  The problem is that the dialogue goes like this:

CANDIDATE X: Candidate Y has never been seen attending church!  And his father was a Mexican!
SATYR-DEVIL: FOUL!  No fair exploiting religious and ethnic prejudice!  Someone shoot that guy!
SATYR-ANGEL: No, it's fair, because some people might think it's relevant.
SATYR-DEVIL: BUT THEY'RE WRONG!
SATYR-ANGEL: Of course they're wrong!  Probably!  But who are we to sit in judgment?
SATYR-DEVIL: We're an Enlightened '90s Guy!  We know that diversity is integral to humanity!
SATYR-ANGEL: Then you have to tolerate diversity of opinion about diversity.
SATYR-DEVIL: ...Yeah, I know.  Can't I at least be angry about it, though?
SATYR-ANGEL: No.
SATYR-DEVIL: CURSE YOU!

::Hallelujah Chorus plays::

Last edited by satyreyes (06-24-2007 11:37:23 PM)

#52 | Back to Top06-25-2007 03:32:30 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Sadly a lot of people think race/religion/brand of toothpaste ARE the issues. That's been going on for as long as I can remember, and on some levels it's even true. People are more willing to get things done on your pet issue if it has the same amount of importance to them as it does to you if they have the same interest in it as you do.

I'm beginning to think it has more to do with pet issues than the personal qualities that represent them.  The only people who really care about Richardson's nationality are people who've developed an unhealthy fixation on the immigration issue.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#53 | Back to Top06-25-2007 02:58:54 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

satyreyes wrote:

CANDIDATE X: Candidate Y has never been seen attending church!  And his father was a Mexican!
SATYR-DEVIL: FOUL!  No fair exploiting religious and ethnic prejudice!  Someone shoot that guy!

That's my reaction. And I have no "Asfa-angel" to control me. For me, candidate X has auto-declared himself without authority from then on. It's just... you are a politician? It's OK: the only thing you are required is to be polite enough to everyone. Of course you don't have to praise the other candidates, but some honesty won't kill you -if they did right, you better recognize it. And please: courtesy norms still apply.

Sadly, these criteria drastically reduce the number of eligible candidates emot-gonk

Hinotori wrote:

Sadly a lot of people think race/religion/brand of toothpaste ARE the issues.

How true... and how sad. emot-frown

#54 | Back to Top06-25-2007 04:02:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think some of these issues should be allowed to be a little more valid than others. Religion does register to me as a valid concern and reason to prefer one candidate over another, because a person's religion/beliefs will dictate their policy. A Mormon, an athiest, and an Islamic fundamentalist are all going to have radically different policies, based in no small part on what they believe is right as dictated by their belief system. So there is some justification to be made for looking down that road. On the other hand, I don't see any significant difference in the religious practices of anyone running such that one's beliefs are going to be so different from another's. Including Romney.

On the other hand, something like race or gender shouldn't make a scrap of fucking difference because they're not significant enough that they should be dictating policy. Religion, for those who genuinely have one, is serious business. If you're a hardcore Catholic and you believe abortion is slaughtering babies, all the freedom and civil liberty bullshit in the world isn't going to stop you because for you to go along with that is a SIN. Being a certain race or gender doesn't give you a belief and moral stance that will in and of itself change your ability to uphold our laws and constitution. Having a certain religion doesn't either of course, but we have to face facts and admit it's unavoidable. The solution would be to elect someone with no belief system at all. By which I mean, not even athiest.

That said, I really find it amusing that a woman's running for president, and no one's saying 'YEAH BUT SHE'S A WOMAN, IS SHE TOUGH ENOUGH?'...nope. What are we all asking? If she's compassionate and likeable enough. You'd think as a woman that would be a strong point. emot-keke As for Obama, race screws him, he better avoid the issue as much as possible. Too many whites won't vote for a black person, and a lot of the black people I know wouldn't vote for him because they think he's a dork. Which he is. All I've seen from him so far is that he's charismatic. That's not enough.

BUT GIO, you say. What about Bill? Bill was charismatic, but he was charismatic about being a scheming conniving bastard. Being charismatic isn't going to help you unless you do something with it, and so far Obama seems to me a bright smile and clever tongue with nothing behind it. Hillary is the complete opposite.

Frankly more and more I'm getting thoroughly disgusted with the Democratic frontrunners. This could be so fucking easy for them.

Christ, have Gore run again. I'd love to see someone with a strong stance on the environment actually win instead of be a sideline joke.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#55 | Back to Top06-25-2007 04:27:04 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Giovanna wrote:

Religion does register to me as a valid concern and reason to prefer one candidate over another, because a person's religion/beliefs will dictate their policy. A Mormon, an athiest, and an Islamic fundamentalist are all going to have radically different policies, based in no small part on what they believe is right as dictated by their belief system.

Just a little amendment: maybe it's not religion itself what should be considered as valid criterion, but rather the way in which candidates introduce religion in their lives, and are able to make religion's norms relative, namely placing them under state law.

Which is usually got easily in atheists, but that's quite a different point.

And, of course, I hope this issue is more valid than their brand of toothpaste emot-biggrin

[If I'm not quite getting it, please forgive me emot-frown]

#56 | Back to Top06-25-2007 06:00:21 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

No, you're right Asfalolh, at least that's how I see it. But then, I'm an atheist myself, and a secular humanist to boot, so I might be a tad biased.emot-keke

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#57 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:11:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

BREAKING NEWS

PRESIDENT BUSH CUTS OUT LIBBY'S TIME BEHIND BARS. DEMOCRATS CONTINUE TO BE INEFFECTIVE THOUGH THEY JUST GOT HANDED THE POLITICAL EQUIVALENT OF KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND MATERIA. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#58 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:28:15 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

UGH BUSH DID SOMETHING AGAIN.

But wait. Who is Libby and what did he do? emot-frown I'm not sure if I'm angry or not yet since I don't even know what the guy did.

#59 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:30:49 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

BREAKING NEWS

PRESIDENT BUSH CUTS OUT LIBBY'S TIME BEHIND BARS. DEMOCRATS CONTINUE TO BE INEFFECTIVE THOUGH THEY JUST GOT HANDED THE POLITICAL EQUIVALENT OF KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND MATERIA. emot-mad

There is some truth to this emot-biggrin  Some background for folks who don't follow the American news: someone in George Bush's White House leaked the name of CIA agent Valerie Plame to the press, probably due to a political squabble with the Plame family.  Leaking a CIA agent's name is highly illegal, and an inquiry into the guilty party began.  The investigation ultimately failed to finger the culprit -- but it did reveal that Scooter Libby, the chief of staff of Vice President Dick Cheney, knew (or should have known) who did it.  His defense was sufficiently strained that a trial by a jury of his peers found him guilty of perjury (lying under oath) and obstruction of justice.  He was sentenced to a $250,000 fine and two and a half years in prison.

Yesterday, George Bush commuted his jail sentence to nothing, meaning that Libby doesn't have to serve a day in prison.  (The U.S. president has the power to pardon convicts or commute their sentences.)  Bush said that he respected the jury's decision, but found Libby's sentence "excessive."

Now, to most Democrats, this is a striking example of George Bush's cronyism -- his willingness to abandon the rule of law to protect his buddies.  If Libby's sentence is excessive, they argue, then so too are the sentences of hundreds of other convicted perjurers; why doesn't Bush commute their sentences too?  The Democrats are especially peeved because this lets Libby know (along with any other Bush cronies who are being investigated) that the White House will protect them as long as they lie to save it.  That's why Gio says the Democrats just got handed the ultimate summon and seem not to be able to find any materia slots for it.  (Pardon the nerdiness.)

The problem is that a lot of Republicans see Libby's prosecution as politically motivated, and think that Bush's commutation ends a farce of a trial conducted by Democrats to lynch the Bushies.  (Similar to the effort to remove Bill Clinton from office because he lied about getting blown by an intern -- only of course neither side cares to make that comparison.)  This point of view would make more sense if the judges responsible for trying Libby had been Democrats, but in fact they were mostly Bush appointees in the first place.  But that's a minor detail, and "perjury" doesn't have quite the punch to it that "fellatio" does.

Good stuff, huh?

EDITED TO ADD: However, it's of limited relevance to the 2008 election.  Worth noting in that vein is that Giuliani has come out squarely in favor of the president's pardon.  Predictably, all the Democrats came out against it.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-03-2007 10:35:15 PM)

#60 | Back to Top07-04-2007 05:58:18 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

satyreyes wrote:

(The U.S. president has the power to pardon convicts or commute their sentences.)

I don't know about baby Jesus, but Montesquieu is crying.
emot-frown

#61 | Back to Top07-04-2007 08:05:13 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Asfalolh wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

(The U.S. president has the power to pardon convicts or commute their sentences.)

I don't know about baby Jesus, but Montesquieu is crying.
emot-frown

Yeah, I'm not sure where this power came from.  It's always seemed a little bizarre to me, like a holdover from the monarchy.  I suspect it's there for when a person's conviction is technically correct but morally silly. 

By the way, state governors have this power too, though of course they can only use it on people convicted in their state.  A couple years ago, Governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois made news by commuting the sentences of everyone on Death Row to life in prison, effectively ending the death penalty in Illinois (at least for now).

#62 | Back to Top07-04-2007 09:06:59 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I think the awesome part is that Bush is notorious for NOT granting pardons and commuting sentences.  He certainly does pick a great time to get to it.

#63 | Back to Top07-04-2007 09:23:11 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Independence Day is probably a good time for an update on the horse race...

Republicans
Recent primary polls appear to show Rudy Giuliani out in front in the contest for the Republican nomination.  Thompson, McCain, and Romney are battling for second place.  I'm convinced McCain will run out of steam very soon; his fundraising has been dismal, and he's fired almost his entire campaign staff.  It would take some kind of major political event -- like, say, a widespread consensus that the troop surge in Iraq is working -- for McCain to come back from the grave.
InTrade: Rudy Giuliani 35.5%, Fred Thompson 34.9%, Mitt Romney 18.5%, John McCain 5%, Ron Paul 3.2%, Newt Gingrich 2.5%; all others, below 1%.

Democrats
Hillary Clinton has remained on top in polling for the Democratic nomination, but Obama surprised analysts by raising more money than she did in the last three months.  Is money enough to beat a Clinton?  Personally, the reason I'd rather see Obama elected than Hillary is that I distrust Hillary, but Obama will have trouble feeding distrust of Hillary while maintaining his campaign's positive tone.  He's in a tough spot.
InTrade: Hillary Clinton 42.5%, Barack Obama 34.6%, Al Gore 9.2%, John Edwards 5.3%, Bill Richardson 2.3%; all others, below 1%.

The Winner
I feel bad for the Republican candidates.  The current president is an unpopular Republican, so they have an unappealing choice: stand by their unpopular president, or distance themselves from the head of their own party.  With the exception of Ron Paul, most of them seem to have chosen to stand by Bush.  This will probably help them in the primary, but it's hard to see how they'll get elected to the White House in the general election (where moderate voters are important) by supporting a president that most moderates hate.  Barring a turnaround in Iraq or a liberal-targeted campaign by Michael Bloomberg, I think this election belongs to the Democrats; it is theirs to win or lose.
InTrade: Hillary Clinton 28%, Barack Obama 20.5%, Fred Thompson 18.5%, Rudy Giuliani 18%, Mitt Romney 8.7%, Al Gore 6.8%, Michael Bloomberg 4.3%, John McCain 3.6%, John Edwards 2.8%.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-04-2007 09:28:37 AM)

#64 | Back to Top07-04-2007 09:32:52 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I feel bad for the Republican candidates.

fuck 'em.

This train wreck we have to call a foreign policy didn't happen magically. It didn't descend from the heavens with a chorus of angels or spew up from the pits of hell. People made it. And people voted for it. And they damned well should have known better. I know I sound bitter, and I guess I am, but they were warned. And each one of them, Romney, Giuliani, and especially McCain chose to listen to their bloodlust and arrogance and pretend that things would magically work out alright. It's about time they crawled out of their fantasy land and joined the real world.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#65 | Back to Top07-12-2007 03:03:37 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

An interesting development in the Republican primary!  The national firefighters' union has developed a fifteen-minute infomercial attacking Rudy Giuliani for poor leadership as the mayor of New York City in the years leading up to September 11, 2001, and on the date itself.  Among other things, the ad accuses Giuliani of forcing firefighters to use unreliable radios and other questionable equipment, leading directly (they say) to the deaths of over one hundred firefighters at the World Trade Center.  I find some of their arguments more compelling than others, but regardless, this ad has the potential to really skewer Giuliani.  His entire platform as a primary candidate boils down to "look at me, I was mayor of New York on September 11!"; if the ad convinces voters that Giuliani was a poor leader and a dishonorable coward on that day, he'll have to come up with some real selling points fast.

The ad is reminiscent of the ads aired against John Kerry during the 2004 presidential election.  Kerry was basing most of his campaign strategy on his record as a war hero in Vietnam; the so-called "swift boat ads" had other members of his squad accusing him of cowardice and saying that he did not deserve his accolades.  Left unable to point to his sterling Vietnam record, Kerry never really recovered, and he lost the election by a relatively wide margin.  Will the same happen to Rudy?

#66 | Back to Top07-13-2007 11:42:05 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

One can hope. I wonder if this means Denis Leary is also against him? emot-rolleyes His platform is just absurd, and I'm a prime candidate for RAH RAH NEW YORK ^____^.

#67 | Back to Top07-25-2007 01:26:53 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

#68 | Back to Top07-25-2007 04:18:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I didn't watch 'em, but I've heard secondhand that they were surprisingly good considering the format.  In some ways, ordinary people tend to ask better questions than trained journalists, or at least more direct questions; it's hard to evade a question like "do you approve of gay marriage" without being transparently dodgy.  Consensus seems to be that Hillary won by looking like a responsible adult in a field of blowhards.

#69 | Back to Top07-25-2007 06:54:40 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yeah. I'm really looking forward to the Republican ones. I'm only halfway through these (watching them on youtube. Didn't check them when they aired) and it seems like in a way people were taking the questions seriously but they weren't taking the fact that this is a debate like anything else seriously. Everyone acted pretty immaturely, even for the way these things usually go. My "Dear God these people are running the country" moment of this debate is probably when Mike Gravel pretended like he was going to answer a question for a few seconds then out of the blue started attacking Obama.

#70 | Back to Top07-28-2007 08:30:59 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm actually watching the debates for the second time right now on CNN, the first being on CSPAN this morning(looked like it was on someone's crappy VCR.).

So far, I have to agree with a lot of the newspapers and political websites that say Hilary and Obama ran away with the whole thing. I'll admit that John Edwards comes in third, but a semi-distant third. Bill Richardson is more impressive than I thought he would be, but that means absolutely nothing. The rest, however, either make me want to slam my head into the table or I just tune them out due to disinterest.

That Gravel guy... sometimes he says tings I like, sometimes he just shouldn't talk. I enjoy his rather impassioned speech about how Iraq is just as big a mistake as Vietnam in that we should have never gone to either. But he doesn't stand a chance.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#71 | Back to Top08-03-2007 10:40:51 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I'm very, very liberal. So, at the moment, I say "Go Obama!"

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#72 | Back to Top08-05-2007 09:25:39 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

I thought the CNN/YouTube debate was a very effective format, raw democracy at work with real people asking some good and some bad questions. I'm a Clinton supporter BTW. I like Obama but I think his time is yet to come.

#73 | Back to Top08-27-2007 10:20:47 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Michael Bloomberg went on CBS to announce that he's not going to run this cycle, saying, "If somebody asks me where I stand, I tell them.  And that’s not a way to get elected, generally.  Nobody’s going to elect me President of the United States.  What I’d like to do is to be able to influence the dialogue.  I’m a citizen."  Amen, bro.

That, most likely, is the last you'll hear of a strong third-party bid for the White House this cycle.  Looks like we'll get another Dem or Rep.

Among the Republicans on InTrade, Giuliani is the clear front-runner with 37.5% to Romney's 23.3% and Thompson's 21.2%.  Clinton is way out in front among the Democrats with 68% to Obama's 16.2%.  The Democrats are still favored to beat the Republicans, 58.9% to 39.8%.

#74 | Back to Top08-27-2007 12:56:36 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Among the Republicans on InTrade, Giuliani is the clear front-runner with 37.5% to Romney's 23.3% and Thompson's 21.2%.  Clinton is way out in front among the Democrats with 68% to Obama's 16.2%.  The Democrats are still favored to beat the Republicans, 58.9% to 39.8%.

I have to say that seeing Romney trailing makes me happy.  He did his level best to run Massachusetts into the ground, and I don't know whether our education system will ever recover.  I'm terrified that people will vote for him because he's got that blond, blue-eyed, all-American look, and his name is more Anglo than Giuliani.

#75 | Back to Top09-08-2007 09:41:02 AM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

my two cents:

the interesting factor, for me at least, is that 3 of the front runners are people who would all be firsts for the white house.  an african-american, a woman, and a morman.  all in all, it should be interesting depending on who gets in.  i, for one, hope romney doesn't get the spot, since he really screwed up things in Massachusetts.  I also don't like the idea of a mormon in the white house, i personally don't trust them (no offense to anyone who is) because they shoplifted from where i work.

Last edited by secret_lover_of_tenjou (09-08-2007 09:41:42 AM)

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

Board footer